Olympus 35RC - Project Deco

Also, I'm considering fitting some leather to the base of the camera reversed so the soft suede side is facing out. This will protect the bottom of the camera if it's put down anywhere and save the paint. Have you got any issue with me doing that Baz?
No, not at all! Sounds a damned good idea!

I've checked the paint again now it's gone off and I reckon 3 coats of paint plus a coat of lacquer should be pretty robust so I shouldn't need the leather/suede pads.
Should have read this bit first!

How about putting it on the inside of the back cover?

Alternatively, add a little button to the side, that when pressed activates a laser that projects the logo onto the ceiling...

Depends how much bling you want I suppose.
Now THAT I like!

I think it's best to stick with just the 35RC logo on the front of the top plate and the GM script on the top by the shutter speed dial.
Yep, spose so Steve! Shame about the Rad Custom, but heyho!

I can still fit the leather 'patches' to the base if you like. Even though the paint should be pretty tough it's always good to include some added protection.

Thanks, but can you leave them off please?

Actually, if you'd really like the Radically Customised text I could get it made larger and fit it to the base instead.

That sounds a good idea! Never thought of that, and I WILL be showing it off! (wherever and whenever i can!) :D

The bottom plate is now sprayed in the final colour;

25860220295_fde94031eb_z.jpg

25739323502_7dc75b96c8_z.jpg

I'll need to flatten the top coat before I lacquer it but will wait until I've got the decals applied so they're sealed under the lacquer coat.

That grey is superb! (y)

Just shown the thread to my mate and he is green with envy!
He (and me ) really think it is going to be fantastic!

I've got to say I'm getting quite attached to it myself ;0).

Oiy! smine! :olympus:

It is one of my all time favourite camera's, got to admit!

Last edited:
:D:banana::clap::ty:

Looks amazing!

No problem at all Baz, thanks for the donor camera ;) I need to get and fit the decals before I lacquer then re-assemble the top and bottom plates but getting closer to completing it.

@wontolla ....You reckon you're gunna get it back???.......from a Scouser???.....Not a chance! :D:D

I have his address and a 6'5" 18 stone biker Son! :p

And stop stirring it you!

Nice.

I had an Export 750 Bonneville just before Meriden went tits up.

Triumphs now are a completely different beast obviously.

Last edited:
Well yes, sort of.

They don't break down and don't p*** oil everywhere. Therefore, they're not bonnies. :)

To be fair though, every old Triumph I had was reliable as long as you checked it over every day.

Well yes, sort of.

They don't break down and don't p*** oil everywhere. Therefore, they're not bonnies. :)

To be fair though, every old Triumph I had was reliable as long as you checked it over every day.

Yep, know exactly what you mean!
Never had one myself, but my two mates had them mid sixties, had a tiger cub 200 though, that was extremely hard on clutches.
I think the best bikes I had were Matchless CSR & Royal Enfield GT 250, the one with the red tank!
Happy days!

Holy cow, that's a ropey Batnam! D1 or D3 at a guess, mine was a D7 which threw the flywheel and chewed the Woodruff key slot at the bottom of the hill so got stripped and sold for parts for more than I'd paid for it!

Well yes, sort of.

Mine's nominally a Bonnie, although it's got a 270° crank and sounds more like a V-twin than a parallel twin. Never let me down, maybe because it's a modern ('08). The Royal Oilfield also fails to live up to its marque's reputation in that it's oil tight, although the chrome plating is ropier than Bazza's Beezer! That HAS let me down a few times, mainly down to being sat for 18 months when I was either too ill to use it or waiting on the DVLFA's pleasure post op.

Liking the look of the Radically Customised project.

Well when I saw the Bantam, I thought 'Rat Bike' but it wasn't! The guy just rides it like that and has done for ages!

Just evolved like that, as bits loosen they get strapped on with jubilee clips or similar and as trim/seats fail, gaffer tape! Looking at the bigger one on Flickr, I think it's probably a D1, it looks like a plunger rear end.

Just evolved like that, as bits loosen they get strapped on with jubilee clips or similar and as trim/seats fail, gaffer tape! Looking at the bigger one on Flickr, I think it's probably a D1, it looks like a plunger rear end.

Think it may be a little later than that Nod. The early bantams had the larger 'BSA' with the wings as the engine stamp. A BD1?
Of course, could have had an engine swap!

On the throttle twist grip - the lump will stop the buzzing backing off the throttle!

IIRC, the smaller engines (125 and 150) had interchangeable side covers and it's entirely probable that as part of that bike's evolution, it's had a fresh one grafted on! The frame looks like a plunger, although the rear suspension is hidden behind the rucksack/bin liner!

This is my mates bike, a 1949 500cc single pot AJS.
He restored every single nut, bolt, screw & washer on it over 2 years, still rides it regularly at 75! (him, not the bike, years old, not mph)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Back