Olympus 35SP meter repair

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks. Can I pick your collective brains please.

I have a mint 35SP but the meter is not working. A bit of googling suggests a wire might have come off behind the battery compartment terminal thingy.

I can't find anything to show me how to access back of said terminal.

Does anyone have any instructions or diagrams, or any other info?

Not sure it's worth the cost of a proper repair by a proper repair type person.

Thanks.

If you do decide to get it repaired by someone else I can recommend Miles Whitehead: http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

Miles has CLA'd a few film cameras and fixed a few lenses for me and is reasonably priced. He is also highly regarded on this forum.

If you like using the camera then I'd get it repaired by a professional. I'd email Miles and ask him about costs. He sorted out my tiny voigtlander that had the light leak.

Second hand prices are often daft so a fully sorted camera may be worth a lot more in the future than you bought it for.

f you like using the camera then I'd get it repaired by a professional.

That's kind of part of the issue Suz. I haven't used it yet. It's a bit big compared to my 35RC but that f1.7 lens does call to me.

I take your point about value though.

I am sure I have the service and repair pdf on my computer. I’ll look when I’m back on it. Message me if you don’t hear as I may forget

That's kind of part of the issue Suz. I haven't used it yet. It's a bit big compared to my 35RC but that f1.7 lens does call to me.

I take your point about value though.

If it's got a manual mode then it might be worth trying it out in that and having a sunny 16 cheat sheet on the back and generally being a bit lazy about exposure to see whether you like it enough regardless.

^^THIS^^

Assuming the built in meter isn’t required for the camera to actually function then sunny 16 / hand held meter is the obvious way forward imo

I know it's a different model but I've decided to use my three Olympus 35RC's in manual mode, and with scale focussing - although they have varying degrees of functionality of the metering and rangefinder, I find it easier to go down to the lowest common denominator of known working method.

Although I’ve had a 35SP, it’s one of the few cameras I haven’t opened up! If it’s anything like the 35RC though (and most other similar age Olympus cameras) there will be a few screws on the bottom plate which will allow you to take the bottom off. From there you should be able to see the battery compartment, which is likely to be held in with a couple of its’ own screws. After that, it will be a case of following the wire as far as you can to check connectivity.

If there is battery acid/leakage, it should be pretty obvious when you look at the battery frame.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Thanks for the pics. Brian. I have taken the bottom plate off as per this photo, but can't see how to get behind the battery terminal.

Everything is super clean BTW.

Have you thought of emailing that guy?

Copied from another forum... so not sure if it's of help or not...
"There is a screw going through the end of the battery contact. On the back side of the battery box is a brass nut. The battery wire is soldered to the tip of the screw or the edge of the nut. It is common for battery corrosion to form under the screw head. Sometimes the corrosion is bad enough for the wire to separate from the solder connection...."

Thanks Lee.

Yes, I've seen that. I can't see how to get to the back of the battery box.

Maybe I'm being spectacularly thick. It does happen.

Thanks Lee.

Yes, I've seen that. I can't see how to get to the back of the battery box.

Maybe I'm being spectacularly thick. It does happen.
Reading a few more things... it seems the battery box is glued and you need to take the whole lens assembly out... :eek:. I have an SP as well and even I don't fancy that idea..but at least my meter works :LOL:

Crikey - I'm not even going to think about that.

So, use without meter or send to Miles.

I'll think on it.
Well.... try it without the meter, to see if you like it enough to warrant Miles fixing it. You could email him and ask him for a price first.
But.... the meter... I've put some rolls through mine...and, I quite liked using it. But, I was not keen on the meter to be honest...it worked, but it's seems pretty basic.

Back