Olympus OM 1 repair?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have a very old Olympus OM1 body, that works well most of the time but every now & again the mirror locks up when the shutter release button is pressed.
I was wondering if anybody knows a good camera service repair centre near me who could have a look at it for me I live in Bracknell Berkshire.
Might just need a good clean/ lube.

Just in case you do not get a 'near you' answer, you could try ringing and speaking to these folks

Black on White Cameras - in Bristol
http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk

They may be willing to except a posted lens perhaps.

The only thing they do is fix cameras.

Their repair shelves when I went in were stacked with press / wildlife lenses in to be fixed. I took just a 50mm in and they could not have been more helpful and friendly, even showing me the bits they had saved to demonstrate what had gone wrong and why.

You'll probably get more replies if @Cobra or one of the other mods moves this thread to the Film and Conventional section?

In the meantime, you could try a quote from Miles Whitehead at http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/ He's in Kent but Royal Mail Special Delivery postage should get it there and back safely as long as you pack it in a sturdy box with plenty of bubble wrap padding, etc. I've found MW to be very competitive price-wise and he knows old film cameras like the OM1 literally inside out! I've found him to be very fair and honest, and he's let me know if something isn't worth repairing and given me the option on how to proceed. He tends to be quite busy though, so expect two or three weeks or so wait for your repair.

Also, I think the OM1 used to use the old mercury type batteries, and the silver oxide modern ones can throw the metering out? If so, I believe MW does a conversion so it fixes the issue and makes them run right on silver oxide batteries, if so, might be worth asking him to quote for that too if you send if for repair/service? Hope this is useful. (y)

Last edited:
You'll probably get more replies if @Cobra or one of the other mods moves this thread to the Film and Conventional section?
Waves wand, does a little happy dance and as if by magic (y)

In the meantime, you could try a quote from Miles Whitehead at http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/ He's in Kent but Royal Mail Special Delivery postage should get it there and back safely as long as you pack it in a sturdy box with plenty of bubble wrap padding, etc. I've found MW to be very competitive price-wise and he knows old film cameras like the OM1 literally inside out! I've found him to be very fair and honest, and he's let me know if something isn't worth repairing and given me the option on how to proceed. He tends to be quite busy though, so expect two or three weeks or so wait for your repair.

Also, I think the OM1 used to use the old mercury type batteries, and the silver oxide modern ones can throw the metering out? If so, I believe MW does a conversion so it fixes the issue and makes them run right on silver oxide batteries, if so, might be worth asking him to quote for that too if you send if for repair/service? Hope this is useful. (y)

:agree: What he said :agree:

Another vote for Miles Whitehead. I have sent two OM1's to him for CLA's & battery mods. Very impressed with his work.

Miles all the way …….Had several lenses and bodies repaired CLA'd at a realistic price even with postage incurred living overseas;)

Back