Olympus OM-D E-M10

I don think so, I keep thinking about doing the same as well David, it would be so much easier to travel with, but I am unsure what lenses would replace my current line up and if they are really any good????

I only own one modern Olympus lens but it does seem to be rather good and reading reviews it does seem that those I don't own are rather good too :D In fact I think that most MFT lenses tend to be good. Even the cheaper end kit type lenses seem to perform well and the wide aperture lenses tend to be good wide open and that's something that you can't always say about wide aperture DSLR lenses.

All in all I don't think I'd worry about MFT lens quality if that's what's stopping you buying into the system.

I only own one modern Olympus lens but it does seem to be rather good and reading reviews it does seem that those I don't own are rather good too :D In fact I think that most MFT lenses tend to be good. Even the cheaper end kit type lenses seem to perform well and the wide aperture lenses tend to be good wide open and that's something that you can't always say about wide aperture DSLR lenses.

All in all I don't think I'd worry about MFT lens quality if that's what's stopping you buying into the system.
Thanks for the comments, what would replace a 11-16 tokina and a Nikon 105macro?

Maybe I need to pop into Park Cameras and have a play, may be expensive though!

Thanks for the comments, what would replace a 11-16 tokina and a Nikon 105macro?

Maybe I need to pop into Park Cameras and have a play, may be expensive though!

For wide angle there's the Oly 9-18mm and Panasonic 7-14mm and for macro there's the Panasonic 45mm and Oly 60mm macro.

Personally as macro is mostly manual focus I use an old manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens.

The 7-14 on m4/3 would be wider than your 11-16 on your 7000.

Just the actual cost of changing systems that puts me off. In an ideal world I'd be able to afford both so I could see if it was the right step for me, but alas, I can't so I keep faltering. :(

I've got some boxing work coming up and am woried that it wouldn't focus as well and the wide angles won't be fast enough and they're so expensive!!

Cheers for the info Alan and David, I think I would be able to change systems for not much outlay, but I would have to give up some lenses and get them at a later date.

My primary concern is to replace my underwater system, the 8mm M4/3 would replace my current fisheye and the 60mm would sort of replace my macro system. I was on a photo trip 2 weeks ago and there was a number of OMD's being used, I wish I had asked to have a play with them, but from the images shared they look very capable, I just enjoy my system underwater so much that its hard to move on :-(

I think I am going to go and do some research on Flickr and look at the photos produced by these cameras for the subjects that I like and can see doing in the future

Not sure, but if Ex-Pro make one then buy a couple of them. I have had two (for different cameras) and they're superb and better than OEM.

I checke but looks like EX Pro doesnt make those.

What about other EOM brands? Olympus one is about £55. Are there any good cheaper options for spare battery?
Hahnel HL-S5
Ansmann 1400-0015
Maxsima - PS-BLS5

Is any of these good?

Last edited:
Have you bought one? Get some pics up!!!!

You can use BLS-1 batteries although not listed as accepted types they fit and work perfectly. £9.97 on the bay.

And it wont damage camera or anything?

Is using those OEM batteries ok, would that damage the camera?

OEM are proper original ones. These are third party.

Plenty of info on the net about using the BLS-1 in the em-10. I think you will need a charger for the BLS-1 though as the difference is apparently some sort of charger connection pin. No experience of the ones you list above. My Ex-Pro battery lasts longer than my Nikon one.

OEM are proper original ones. These are third party.

Plenty of info on the net about using the BLS-1 in the em-10. I think you will need a charger for the BLS-1 though as the difference is apparently some sort of charger connection pin. No experience of the ones you list above. My Ex-Pro battery lasts longer than my Nikon one.

Cool, got it.:)

Ex Pro has BLS-1 battery for £10 delivered, happy days:)
It will be my backup battery for my trip to France this July. I read that they only difference is that fourth connector on BLS-5 that sends turn off signal to charger.
Apart f that I can still use BLS-5 charger to charge BLS-1, so that even better, no need for second charger.

I went to have a look at the OMD family at the weekend and was impressed by them, the OMD EM1 felt like a nice piece of kit. I am going to go back with a memory card and have a play with it in the car park at some point.

I personally am not going to trade in my Nikon stuff at the moment, I can still learn loads from what I have got. I may invest in the EM10 though, I was already looking for a small camera to use whilst travelling/diving as my Nikon is usually sealed up ready to dive with, this almost fits the bill perfectly and from the review below looks like a great piece of kit!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/03/17/the-olympus-e-m10-and-12-40-f2-8-pro-zoom-mini-review/

Enjoy the read all

Guys I received my E-M10 camera today.
Question - does your E-M10 make sound when it's on? Or when you press release button half way?
When it's on I can hear it only when stick it to my ear, very quiet noise sound.
But when I press release button half way it is louder and noticeable...

Sound is like TV static noise (snow noise screen)... Is that normal?

Last edited:
Pics pics pics!!

The noise isn't the IBIS is it?

I know that sensor makes noise cause it's jumping around, but looks like IBIS makes noise too. WHen I turned it off in menu for both, image and movie, it stopped making that noise...
I hope the camera is fine and all of them make that sound:confused:

Sorry, didn't get any pics cause I have received wrong lens with the kit. I got old big ones, instead of pancake lens. I may need to send it back so didn't use it.
Will report back when I get it:)

First impressions - camera is really small! I had GF1 in the past and lately had G5. This one is really small, I may even consider buying extra grip for it!:eek:
Looks beautiful, that rattling sound of free sensor is weird, hard to get used to it:)

Sorry, didn't get any pics cause I have received wrong lens with the kit. I got old big ones, instead of pancake lens. I may need to send it back so didn't use it.
Will report back when I get it:)

First impressions - camera is really small! I had GF1 in the past and lately had G5. This one is really small, I may even consider buying extra grip for it!:eek:
Looks beautiful, that rattling sound of free sensor is weird, hard to get used to it:)

The noise is normal mate. Mine also does it. Id say its more like a hum, that gets slightly louder when you half press.

The noise is normal mate. Mine also does it. Id say its more like a hum, that gets slightly louder when you half press.

Like on the E-M5 you can alter it in the menu so that IS (Image Stabilisation) only works when the shutter is released and not on half press. All this means is the image is not stabilised in the viewfinder but it is stabalized at the time of the shutter firing, also saves on batter power. The only time I use it with IS on at half press is when taking macro using viewfinder 10x magnifacation as the image shakes that much in the viiwfinder. :)

Just Had my New E-M10 and it was a beautiful sunny day in the garden yesterday and had my youngest Granddaughter Scarlett around so it was a good time to test it .
You need a wash Dad.
original.jpg

Portrait Of Scarlett
original.jpg

Back Lit Cosmos Daisy
original.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the portrait:(

EDIT: works now! Sweet photo(y)

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting an om-10 but was worried about pic quality, judging by the photos on here there no problems with the m4,3 cameras at all. I really need to get hands on and see just how compact the cams and lens really are. I feel a road trip coming on!

I am thinking about getting an om-10 but was worried about pic quality, judging by the photos on here there no problems with the m4,3 cameras at all. I really need to get hands on and see just how compact the cams and lens really are. I feel a road trip coming on!

I would not worry to much about that as image quality is on a par with most none full frame DSLR's these days.

E-M5 at ISO 3200
original.jpg

thank you mate, yep its fine for my usage at the moment. I was using a 5dmk111 but no longer need that level of kit(or size/ weight!) . I just need to get hands on to confirm that m43 is for me.

Just to report - I bought myself a grip for E-M10 and have to say it is really good addition. My hands aren't big but right after I got my camera I felt like it si a wee bit too small. Now it feels really good, firm, feels right! £55 is a lot just a extra grip but I would buy it again, good decision.
I adds weight to it too. Feels like holding old Zenit TTL camera now:)

Pics of the camera or it didn't happen...

Yes sir, will do:)
Maybe tonight when get back home I will do some ugly phone photos of my little-big camera:)

Also I received last week a nice present from my daughter - nice navy blue canvas strap, from RIGU shop.
Really worth every penny, a LOT better feeling on my neck compared to default strap from Olympus.
Highly recommended!

Last edited:
thank you mate, yep its fine for my usage at the moment. I was using a 5dmk111 but no longer need that level of kit(or size/ weight!) . I just need to get hands on to confirm that m43 is for me.

When I first went out with my Panasonic G1 (the M10 weighs less) rather than my 5D+50mm f1.4 I honestly had to keep checking that it was still in the bag such was the difference in weight. I kept thinking it must have fallen out.

As promised, few photos of my new E-M10 with grip and nice blue strap:)
These are phone photos so not so good...;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

When I first went out with my Panasonic G1 (the M10 weighs less) rather than my 5D+50mm f1.4 I honestly had to keep checking that it was still in the bag such was the difference in weight. I kept thinking it must have fallen out.
ace thank you

As promised, few photos of my new E-M10 with grip and nice blue strap:)
These are phone photos so not so good...;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
just how small is this mate ,is it similar to on old om film camera/ ae1 type size? and thanks for the pics!

thank you mate(y). I have seen that before its just no replacement for hands on or a view of hands on

What cameras have you used? I might be able to make a comparison but tbh this thing is smaller than pretty much everything besides a compact. Nice button placement though and I really like the thumb grip which a lot of CSCs don't have.

Back