Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I started a new job on Monday, and found out I get a £750 allowance to spend on certain things, camera equipment is one of them. The 40-150mm 2.8 Pro could be within reach soon :)

Just need to establish if I can make up the difference over the £750 mark...

I will have the following Olympus lenses for sale once I hit the time limit, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8 and 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 R if anyone is interested?

Any issues with the weatherpoofing Alfbranch?

Nice shots there btw!

None at all and based on how non sealed cameras have performed for me over the years I was not worried I have managed a few thousand shots since.

Thanks Ned, good to know. I haven't had the chance to take mine out in proper rain yet, bit nervous about it when the day does come!

Those comparisons were interesting to see Damianmkv, not much in it as far as I can see which is good. I always think that if people are having to scrutinise their camera/ lenses down to that level, then the photos they take are probably not that interesting anyway!

It's nice to know that you have "the best", but cannot make up the talent gap. I think for me personally I'm trying to get over worrying about every last detail, and take more interesting photos.

I think you have to be like that - I was out last night taken photos in darkness. Not long exposures ( 3-10s at a car meet ) and the 12-40 was fine, still quick to focus.

Am wondering about the 40-150 pro too

I think you have to be like that - I was out last night taken photos in darkness. Not long exposures ( 3-10s at a car meet ) and the 12-40 was fine, still quick to focus.

They are a nice lens,tried one a couple of time :)

I've been lurking on here for a while since I sold off my Nikon kit a few weeks ago and changed to Olympus. Thanks to everyone for sharing your images and advice..!! I thought it was about time I posted a few shots myself:

Bee's behind you.............................
par Keith Burton, on ipernity

Brenda

The "Lipstick" Tower, Gunwharf Quays

Lost in the music!

All taken with the EM1 and 40-150mm f2.8 Pro except the tower shot which was taken using the EM1 and 75-300mm f4.7-6.7

Looking good Keith - how are you getting on with the change of kit ?

That bee looks like a leaf cutter to me with its tongue out.

Looking good Keith - how are you getting on with the change of kit ?

Thank you. It's a bit of steep learning curve, but I'm enjoying the challenge. I have the EM1 and EM5 with the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro, the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro and the 75-300mm f4.7-6.7. I'm just waiting for delivery of a Nissin i40 flash. Next on my wishlist is the 60mm macro lens and a 1.4 converter for the 40-150..!! It's really good to be able to fit all that in a fairly small bag. I was beginning to find my Nikon kit too heavy - I have the beginning of arthritis in my hands and carrying a FF camera around all day was becoming a bit of a chore. Changing to MFT has renewed my enthusiasm - I wish I'd done it sooner.

That bee looks like a leaf cutter to me with its tongue out.

Not sure what type of bee it was. Just that it turned up when I was about to press the shutter button.......pure luck really!

It is a great lens, and a good one even with the 1.4TC.
I purchase mine to cover classical music concerts, however I find I am using it a lot more when ever I want to just reach in and grab things.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the sort of shot I wanted but there was no where to climb :(

Set the 10 second timer or use the app and raise the camera up on your tripod. Simples. The field curvature would be ace. :D

Using the app will allow you to fram the shot

View attachment 43029

Uploading from my phone, from a photo transferred from em5 mark 2. No idea how this will look on the forum on a big screen.

Anyway, amazingly cool cat I saw walking by the river in some woods near knaresborough in Yorkshire

Thought I'd share a few first shots with my OMD I bought on here. We've been really busy work wise so not really had time to go anywhere so its just a couple from the garden

P7310018.jpg by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

P7310019.jpg by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

This spider was so small had to manual focus :)

Ok I know they're not brilliant but I was pleasantly surprised with the 12-50mm its a much maligned lens and I thought it performed reasonably well for a budget offering

Last edited:
The chipolata does a lot of things right, I think it got a hard time because of it's size - it doesn't quite fit into the "smaller is better" MFT ethos.

It's a similar size to the 14-150, for example, so I tended to use the superzoom as I don't do video or macro and tend to go indoors when it rains, so the only thing the 12-50 offered me was 12mm.

For that one, yes. I only have a cheapo 8 quid one so really must upgrade it as it wobbles like a blancmange

Hi guys,

I've had the EM1 with 12-40 pro for over a year now and loving it. I only recently noticed a symbol which comes up at the top right of the screen when i turn the camera on, pretty its always come on but Ive only recently taken notice of it. Could anyone shed light on what it means? I think I also saw a similar symbol on my 400D when I turnt it on.

symbol.jpg

I thought it would be that but couldn't find any confirmation in the manual which seems to have just ignored this symbol completely!

I've been reading post from the past couple of months and it seems that quite a few people have the same combo of an EM1 paired with 12-40 pro.
Has anyone found a nice shoulder bag to carry it in? I have one which came complementary with the camera, it does well to hold the camera with the lens mounted and gives enough room to also store the grip, flash and spare battery, however... I don't like the look of it!

I used a Bestek and found it really good (link) - it could take the E-M1, 12-40Pro + a couple of other lenses, I doubt it will hold as much now I'm selling up and going full frame again but it was great while it lasted.

lol, mine too - looks a great lens though, but I never really got to use it - the one time I was going to I forgot it and left it at home, so it never got more than a quick out of the box to check it worked then back into the cupboard :(

Back