Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks for the reply chphotos :)
Don't plan on using the flash manually at the moment, still playing :-D
So in TTL mode the on camera flash will flash even if set to off in the super menu?
I was thinking that the off setting would allow the pop-up flash to be used purely as a trigger, with no light output.

Cheers, Paul

If it's the same as Nikon's system. The on board flash fires a fraction before the exposure which means that it doesn't appear in shot. Are you seeing it in shot?

Must admit, I gave up on the this system and bought some cheap yongnuo wireless triggers. They're manual but have a much bigger range and don't rely on line of sight. Off camera flash with manual settings is no hardship and it means that results are very repeatable and predictable.

Last edited:
If it's the same as Nikon's system. The on board flash fires a fraction before the exposure which means that it doesn't appear in shot. Are you seeing it in shot?

Must admit, I gave up on the this system and bought some cheap yongnuo wireless triggers. They're manual but have a much bigger range and don't rely on line of sight. Off camera flash with manual settings is no hardship and it means that results are very repeatable and predictable.
It does show in the shot gad-westy but it's not really a problem.
It's just that the way the setup menu reads to me it should be disabled.
Thanks for your reply :)

Cheers, Paul

It does show in the shot gad-westy but it's not really a problem.
It's just that the way the setup menu reads to me it should be disabled.
Thanks for your reply :)

Cheers, Paul

I seem to remember this also being an issue on Nikon. Just a slight bright spot sometimes visible. I think I used to angle my hand in front of the camera flash and direct the light at the ceiling (if indoors) to null its effect. As I mentioned though, this and a couple of other reasons are why I prefer remote triggers for OCF nowadays.

Last edited:
I'm loving the pano-stitching in LR, it is sooooo easy and gives great results.

On another subject, has anyone seen a PL100-400 in stock anywhere in the UK?

One for sale in classifieds.

That's a 100-300 ?

Did you dream it? I did. And it was only £150 too!
But then I woke up. Which was lucky. As if I tried to buy it in a dream, someone would have just got it seconds before me and then the dream goes all weird. And I end up somewhere else with no trousers on.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the E-M5 II and the E-M10 II?

Deciding which one to get as my lightweight system. I have a Canon 5D3 and 7D2 as my main cameras but decided I want something to chuck in my daybag when I'm not specifically going shooting. The E-M10 II appeals because it is smaller - but in reality how much smaller is it?

Deciding which one to get as my lightweight system. I have a Canon 5D3 and 7D2 as my main cameras but decided I want something to chuck in my daybag when I'm not specifically going shooting. The E-M10 II appeals because it is smaller - but in reality how much smaller is it?

EOS-M 3 and you will still be able to use Canon fit lenses with an adapter. I have a 7D, but find I am using my EOS-M more and more. With the M 22mm lens attached, it will fit in my jacket pocket quite nicely.

EOS-M 3 and you will still be able to use Canon fit lenses with an adapter. I have a 7D, but find I am using my EOS-M more and more. With the M 22mm lens attached, it will fit in my jacket pocket quite nicely.
I've already got an EOS-M and I just don't like it as a stills camera, indeed your logic was my exact thinking when I purchased it.
Once you have fitted the adapter and an EOS lens (even the tiny 50mm) it is bulkier than most of the other mirrorless offerings and it still doesn't have a viewfinder. Had there been a wider range of EOS-M specific lenses then maybe.

I've already got an Oly E-P2 with the 17mm Pancake, but the camera is getting on a bit and the display was never too hot. I did toy with Fuji but I really like the compactness that can be achieved with an m43 system. Once I've got the E-P2 replacement I might pick up one of the tiny Panasonic bodies as well.

Yeah quite a few of us and some both of them.
I have an E-M5 II and also an E-M1 and love them both. dont need anything else I recently used the E-M5 II for a trip to New York where it was great I the 9-18mm 12-40 and 40-150 plus filters batteries etc all in one small bag.

Being able to handhold wide angle shots at 1/5 sec is great.

I've already got an EOS-M and I just don't like it as a stills camera, indeed your logic was my exact thinking when I purchased it.
Once you have fitted the adapter and an EOS lens (even the tiny 50mm) it is bulkier than most of the other mirrorless offerings and it still doesn't have a viewfinder. Had there been a wider range of EOS-M specific lenses then maybe.

I've already got an Oly E-P2 with the 17mm Pancake, but the camera is getting on a bit and the display was never too hot. I did toy with Fuji but I really like the compactness that can be achieved with an m43 system. Once I've got the E-P2 replacement I might pick up one of the tiny Panasonic bodies as well.

The M3 is a much better and more mature camera than the original M, and with the superb EVF attached is still smaller than one of the Olys even though it has a bigger sensor. I agree though that the lens selection is very poor and adapted EF lenses are a poor substitute for native lenses.

The M3 is a much better and more mature camera than the original M, and with the superb EVF attached is still smaller than one of the Olys even though it has a bigger sensor. I agree though that the lens selection is very poor and adapted EF lenses are a poor substitute for native lenses.

Thankyou, the M3 does look much better but it is still the very disappointing lens selection that puts me off. Whereas I can pick up the 45mm 1.8 Oly and maybe the 25mm 1.8 and I'm still really compact.

As long as I stop looking at the fuji X system that is!

Thankyou, the M3 does look much better but it is still the very disappointing lens selection that puts me off. Whereas I can pick up the 45mm 1.8 Oly and maybe the 25mm 1.8 and I'm still really compact.

As long as I stop looking at the fuji X system that is!

If size is important then the Fuji will probably be too big - the lenses aren't much smaller than full frame ones although they are lighter. Those Oly primes are superb and are the reason I have an E-M1 :)

If size is important then the Fuji will probably be too big - the lenses aren't much smaller than full frame ones although they are lighter. Those Oly primes are superb and are the reason I have an E-M1 :)

Pretty much why I am back with the Olympus gear. :D One of the OMD cameras for my 'chuck in my work bag' and probably one of the tiny panasonics for when I don't take a backpack.

Hi,

I have had both the EM10 II and the 5 II...

I decided at the beginning of this year to sell my DSLR kit in exchange for a camera that I would actually take with me a lot more. After doing lots of home work I settled on the Olympus system, and it made sense to get the smallest Olympus EM camera, so I got the EM10 II with the pancake 14-42 and the 25mm prime. This camera is really good and light weight but I was finding that I wasn't taking it with me on walk/ family days out and I had a think why- mainly it was the use of the camera, I didn't like the electric zoom on the lens and the camera felt too toy like in my hand. Also, living in the wet north I was finding myself leaving the camera in the car if there was the slightest hint of rain (most days!).

So.... last week I decided to swap my EM10ii for a EM5ii, ever so slightly bigger and heavier so that it feels a lot nicer to hold and the all important waterproofing so I can truly take it anywhere. I also got the 12-40mm pro which is an outstanding lens and not a big as I though it would be, although I will be getting a 17mm prime for days when I want a really compact setup. The 25mm is still here but I might sell it yet- undecided. For my type of shooting the 12-40 really is good enough quality to replace primes in that zoom range but obviously has the extra weight. The EM5ii seems to have a better rear screen and viewfinder and also I prefer the articulated screen but that's personal preference.

The EM10 II is a superb camera but the EM5 II just feels nicer to use when you've come from DSLR.

All my opinion of course but hope you find it helpful in your decision.

Also, living in the wet north I was finding myself leaving the camera in the car if there was the slightest hint of rain (most days!).

I too live in the cold dark and wet north but I don't worry too much and I take my cameras out in all weathers and conditions and even though I've never had a weather sealed camera I've never had a weather or conditions related failure despite taking only common sense measures to protect the kit.

You've moved on to a weather sealed camera now and maybe I have just been lucky but if so I've been lucky for over 40 years. Personally I don't worry too much about the weather and don't let it put me off snapping when I want to, basic common sense measures have over more than 4 decades served me well enough :D

First time I've used the Oly 60mm macro lens:

Yet to open
par Keith Burton, on ipernity

It seems ridiculously small compared to my Nikon 105mm Macro (now long gone), but it seems to do the job.

Thank you kind Sir. [emoji2]

Hi guys,

I have an EM5II - can anyone point me in the direction of settings to improve the battery life if possible please? :)

TIA!
Jake

Struggling to get my Nissin i40 to work properly off camera, no doubt user error, but when I put the camera in rc mode then press the shutter it seems that the on camera flash (little flash that came with the em1) still lights the subject as well as the Nissin firing.....If I'm not mistaken the little flash should barely fire, just enough to trigger the off camera flash?

Struggling to get my Nissin i40 to work properly off camera, no doubt user error, but when I put the camera in rc mode then press the shutter it seems that the on camera flash (little flash that came with the em1) still lights the subject as well as the Nissin firing.....If I'm not mistaken the little flash should barely fire, just enough to trigger the off camera flash?

Try this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvBuKuN01J0

Hi guys,

I have an EM5II - can anyone point me in the direction of settings to improve the battery life if possible please? :)

TIA!
Jake

Without wishing to sound to negative, I think the best answer is to have a few spares. There are a few little bits you can try in terms of sleep timer etc and minimising IS usage but none make that much difference in my experience. Hence I have three batteries and considering buying a couple more.

Without wishing to sound to negative, I think the best answer is to have a few spares. There are a few little bits you can try in terms of sleep timer etc and minimising IS usage but none make that much difference in my experience. Hence I have three batteries and considering buying a couple more.

Hey Gad,

Thanks for the reply. No problems...I was just curious.

I already have 2 additional batteries, currently backpacking and I cycle them in an order and have never been caught without any form of battery yet! I might invest in a grip, but I'm trying to keep the bulk size down due to backpack limitations! We will see!

Thanks all the same!

Hey Gad,

Thanks for the reply. No problems...I was just curious.

I already have 2 additional batteries, currently backpacking and I cycle them in an order and have never been caught without any form of battery yet! I might invest in a grip, but I'm trying to keep the bulk size down due to backpack limitations! We will see!

Thanks all the same!

I think it's just one of those things with the OMD's and actually mirrorless in general. I have a Nikon D3 DSLR as well and genuinely can't remember the last time I charged it so the OMD was a bit a bit of culture shock with it's battery demands. When I need to look after batteries I just make sure I'm a bit more savvy. No image reviewing. Turn camera off when not needed etc. Not sure there is much else that can be done.

Hi has anyone used the small supplied flash that comes with the EM5 mark 2 on a extension lead?

Anyone moved from a Nikon D7000 to either an E-M1 or E-M5 mk2. Which would you recommend?

Last edited:
I went from the d7000 to the em-10 then the e-m1. I prefer the 1 as it felt better in my hand. No difference in IQ

Back