Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thing is I really don't know about weather sealing, I can't afford the pro lenses and I'm sure the 10 would survive a few drops of rain but a few hours of damp in a bag?

I used my old 10 in rain with no bother and on the whole that kind of thing doesn't bother me but I do big holidays and would hate for a camera to go down in the middle of nowhere so I like the peace of mind. My 10 died from a long drop to concrete, not a water related incident.

I have just got myself a used M5-II and very happy with it so far.
I hated the weight of DSLRs when compared to my old film camera a Nikon FE2 it just felt so right.

I don't use zooms either so the primes are great value and just fit the camera perfect, I have picked up a used 20mm Panasonic F1.7 and will be playing with that this weekend.

I just don't get the purpose of getting a lovely compact camera and then putting a heavy ugly zoom on it.

I have just got myself a used M5-II and very happy with it so far.
I hated the weight of DSLRs when compared to my old film camera a Nikon FE2 it just felt so right.

I don't use zooms either so the primes are great value and just fit the camera perfect, I have picked up a used 20mm Panasonic F1.7 and will be playing with that this weekend.

I just don't get the purpose of getting a lovely compact camera and then putting a heavy ugly zoom on it.

Nice work! Well worth looking at the 45mm 1.8 too. Tiny lens with stunning output.

The reason I went for the E-M5mkii was not weather proofing but the viewfind esize 0.74 mag cpmared to the E-M10 mkii's 0.62 mag. Does not sound much untill you look through the viewfinder and makes all the difference if wearing glasses.

Last edited:
The reason I went for the E-M5mkii was not weather proofing but the viewfind esize 0.74 mag cpmared to the E-M10 mkii's 0.62 mag. Does not sound much untill you look through the viewfinder and makes all the difference if wearing glasses.
Good point, hadn't spotted that difference.

Well after trying FF it looks like im returning to the fold! The EM5 ii looks excellent value at present with a number of useful improvements. Im going to look out for a bargain and lenses while I wait patiently for the EM1 mark ii. For others that are tempted with FF the grass was not greener on the other side (for me). It was not the weight issue of an obviously larger system but I struggled to nail focus and found lenses required micro adjustment. Something not required on the MFT system. This frustrated me after spending almost 2K on kit.

Well after trying FF it looks like im returning to the fold! The EM5 ii looks excellent value at present with a number of useful improvements. Im going to look out for a bargain and lenses while I wait patiently for the EM1 mark ii. For others that are tempted with FF the grass was not greener on the other side (for me). It was not the weight issue of an obviously larger system but I struggled to nail focus and found lenses required micro adjustment. Something not required on the MFT system. This frustrated me after spending almost 2K on kit.

Second hand EM5ii's are like hens teeth and those that do come up aren't that cheap, I ended up buying one from HDEW having given up waiting.

Second hand EM5ii's are like hens teeth and those that do come up aren't that cheap, I ended up buying one from HDEW having given up waiting.

Yep, I went with Panamoz. Barely any more expensive than used ones I saw and in fact having bought it with the 12-40, I suspect it may have worked out cheaper than buying used.

Hi, I've recently bought a EM10ii. I got the 14-42 pancake and the 25mm prime. I'm loving the camera and both lenses although I haven't used it much yet.

Heading to Scotland for a family holiday soon and I'm thinking about the landscape shots I hope to get. I won't be doing proper tripod and filters job, just quick snaps whilst we are exploring.. Will the 14-42mm be wide enough and/or sharp enough for this? Or is there something better you could recommend? I'm looking at the 9-18mm or possible the 12mm prime? Any others? Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Personally I'd get the 40-150 kit lens, brilliant lens for the money and telephoto works a treat for mountain vistas.

Or, what you have is perfectly fine, the kit lenses are very good.

Hi, I've recently bought a EM10ii. I got the 14-42 pancake and the 25mm prime. I'm loving the camera and both lenses although I haven't used it much yet.

Heading to Scotland for a family holiday soon and I'm thinking about the landscape shots I hope to get. I won't be doing proper tripod and filters job, just quick snaps whilst we are exploring.. Will the 14-42mm be wide enough and/or sharp enough for this? Or is there something better you could recommend? I'm looking at the 9-18mm or possible the 12mm prime? Any others? Thoughts and advice much appreciated.
It is wide enough generally and shots can be stitched.
When I first got into Landscapes that was as wide as I had and couldnt stitch.

There's one on e-group for £480

thanks Gary - i could spend forever up there, just so much to photograph

No, it's not been straightened - I just shot RAW and kept the horizon in the middle then cropped it

Can anyone recommend me a neck strap for my EM10ii? The one that comes with the camera doesn't offer any grip when slung over a shoulder.

Can anyone recommend me a neck strap for my EM10ii? The one that comes with the camera doesn't offer any grip when slung over a shoulder.
What camera and lens combinations?

Last edited:
Apologies, I read that in a rush and didn't give it much thought, I could have easily guessed what it meant had a stopped a and considered for a second.

At the moment I have the 14-42 pancake and the 25mm prime. I bought this camera to be a lot more portable than my DSLR so can't foresee me investing in any big lenses.

Hey all
Hopefully I'm in the right thread for the E-M10 Mark II :)
Just a quick setup question regarding wireless remote control flash photography.
I recently got the great little Nissin i40, which is triggering nicely off camera, however I can't stop the pop-up flash from firing even though I have it set to off in the LV super control panel.
Have I misunderstood something?

Cheers, Paul

The wireless remote flash on Olympus cameras uses the on camera flash to trigger remote flashes. If you don't need TTL flash and are ok using msnual flash get yourself some wireless trugggers.

The wireless remote flash on Olympus cameras uses the on camera flash to trigger remote flashes. If you don't need TTL flash and are ok using msnual flash get yourself some wireless trugggers.
Thanks for the reply chphotos :)
Don't plan on using the flash manually at the moment, still playing :-D
So in TTL mode the on camera flash will flash even if set to off in the super menu?
I was thinking that the off setting would allow the pop-up flash to be used purely as a trigger, with no light output.

Cheers, Paul

Back