Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Had a play with all three at the photography show. The EM10ii felt toy like to be honest and didn't feel all to up on my em5 in its feature set which would leave me thinking the upgrade wasn't large enough to justify the outlay. The em5ii has more feature as the flash is beautiful and very well featured for a stock affair. It feels chunkier, heavier, more dense and just a better camera to hold than he em10ii.

Given he size of the cameras I prefer the position of the viewfinder on the pen-f over the em5ii but that is literally it. Is that worth another £4-500 for me though? Probably not.. That's why I'm wondering if the sensor and art dials are going to make up that price gap.

Any idea when the em1ii with that sensor is coming as that will probably be the best of both for me.?

The jury is still out on whether the new sensor is any better but most reports are that it isn't really any better than the older 16mp version although this was before Adobe released a raw update to use in PS and LR. Olympus themselves have admitted the jump to 20mp was only done for marketing purposes.

Also, it is doubtful the EM1ii will use this sensor as it doesn't have phase detect AF sensors.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using Panasonic lenses on the em5 II? I've got a Panasonic G3 with a couple of lenses and I'm thinking of moving on to a em5 ii, to spread the cost I was thinking of getting the body initially and using the lenses I've got.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using Panasonic lenses on the em5 II? I've got a Panasonic G3 with a couple of lenses and I'm thinking of moving on to a em5 ii, to spread the cost I was thinking of getting the body initially and using the lenses I've got.
They work fine in general. Which ones do you have?

Thanks, I've got the 14-42mm and the 45-200mm , basically the kit lenses. I take auto-focus works OK.
Yes it all works as normal, all the mft lenses are interchangeable. Because the olympus bodies have IBIS then you just need to turn it off on the lens but that is it.

If you swap to an olympus body you will notice a real difference in IQ.

I didn't bother with the E-PL1 as I didn't like the feel of it in the hand. Looking on youtube it does look quite easy though.
Go on get that G2 done - if its as easy as the G1 it wont take long at all:)

Errr ahem, erm..... What's that adage about a bad workman blaming his tools? Sat down to do this over the weekend but was struggling with the casing screws and seemed to be slipping with my cheapo screwdriver. So I've hit the pause button, ordered a quality screwdriver set and will recommence when it arrives.

Oh and it's a G3. No idea why I wrote G2.

There's an impressive amount of non-highlight in that considering how well lit it looks, lighting must have been just right.

Spot on Ned, late-ish afternoon light and an obliging Robin :)
Btw the image appears a little over sharpened due to flickr

Here is a short timelapse video I took this afternoon while shooting at Wasdale.
Taken with the E-M1 and 12-40 using a 6 stop ND filter so each frame is 2-3 seconds I am the blue blob working on other shots with the E-M5II

Sorry but you will need to click the link to see the video on Flcikr
redface.gif

Wasdale passing clouds by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Errr ahem, erm..... What's that adage about a bad workman blaming his tools? Sat down to do this over the weekend but was struggling with the casing screws and seemed to be slipping with my cheapo screwdriver. So I've hit the pause button, ordered a quality screwdriver set and will recommence when it arrives.

Oh and it's a G3. No idea why I wrote G2.
I thought it was a G3 you had ;)
Yeah its worth using a decent screwdriver for it just in case you need to rip it apart again. Don't want any dodgy screw heads.
Just be very gentle with any ribbon cables and make sure you undo the connectors properly otherwise they can break quite easily. YouTube is definitely your friend.
Dust in the sensor assembly is a nightmare too - I've got a couple of dust bunnies between the new filter and the sensor but nothing worth worrying about - only 2 that I've noticed when testing for them and easily cloned out if they ever show up in images.

Go for it (y)

I was using the Olympus Wifi remote control App recently for a group shot that included me. But the big problem is you can't get everyone to look into the lens at the appropriate moment like you can when standing at the camera attracting everyone's attention.
P3270181_v1.JPG

Yes we'd done various cheeses and were on to other words in different languages when the camera fired. I'm not sure how quickly it reacts over wifi. We did it multiple times too.

Last edited:
Oh yeah here is an edit of the timelapse I showed earlier each on the 99 RAW files edited in LR then put together in the timelapse in olympus viewer 3

Sorry but you will need to click the link to see the video on Flcikr
redface.gif

Wasdale Passing clouds and shadows by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Only just got round to using the 12-40 pro i bought a few months ago on my Em10. Fatastic quality lens and the push pull manual focus is a very neat feature. I'm just unsure i can handle the sheer size and weight of the lens on the em10 with a grip. I was using the 14-42ez pancake lens! It just seems too big for m43.

Only just got round to using the 12-40 pro i bought a few months ago on my Em10. Fatastic quality lens and the push pull manual focus is a very neat feature. I'm just unsure i can handle the sheer size and weight of the lens on the em10 with a grip. I was using the 14-42ez pancake lens! It just seems too big for m43.

The manufacturers additional grip is superb, greatly improves the camera.

When I was playing about with the 12-40mm I must admit that of the camera bodies I tested it on, the EM1 and the EM5 with grips felt great but the EM5 and EM10 by themselves didnt seem to feel to great with it.. very front heavy and not quite a big enough grip for the site of the lens.

Are there any third party grips that are a little bigger for the EM10? That could help out no end..

It just seems to go against m43, i did have a nikon dslr with the tamron 17-50 and both lenses seem very similar in size and weight.

The thing to do is hold lens in the left hand with the left hand under the lens supporting the camera the way SLRs were held 25 years sgo

A d7000+tamron 17-50 weighs 1350g but an e-m10+12-40 weighs 782g. The lenses are 570g vs 382g. I agree that it's a "large" lens in terms of m43 but it's considerably better balanced on the e-m1 which was part of the reason I upgraded so quickly.

Yeah, the 12-40 on an EM1 is a proper do everything, fit and forget combo and really comfy to use.

I wish they would hurry up and make the EM1 mkll then i could hopefully afford a second hand mkI ! I also think i need a better strap, i am using the strap that came with the camera, looking at a sling type strap.

I'm sure you have been asked this in this forum more than once but E-M5 mark II or E-M10 mark II? My heart is saying 5 and my head says 10. I do intend to give it a hard life so the weather sealing is attractive but then the extra cost isn't and if the 10 did survive for four or five years I'd probably be upgrading anyway. I've held both and think the 5 just edged it but not having spent much time with either I couldn't really say. I have read all the reviews I can find and they all seem to say get a 10 because it's pretty much as good as the 5 for less money

Any thoughts? In particular if you have an OM-D E-M5 why did you choose that over the 10?

If weather sealing is a must then get the 5ii, otherwise the 10ii is a mighty fine camera.

The nice thing about them all is they have the same image quality so you can pick on features alone.

Edit, I bought the 5ii but only for the weather sealing.

Last edited:
Back