Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

They seemed to spend a lot of time / effort stating "professional" and about AF speed and ability ..I think noise and DR was in one sentence but kind of glossed over

I know that they're not headline grabbers by they're still important to "professionals" surely ?

Wow. Steve huff certainly likes that 25mm!

Em1ii looks great as well. Will be interesting to read the reviews when they start coming in. Like many, I'm really interested to see if they've managed to work some magic with AF-c.

<moan> Not much new then. Apart from an amazing dual SD card slots! The rest is just improved performance.

The high resolution mode doesn't get much of a mention. Will it do handheld?
Will that come in a firmware update?

The only significant thing is improved AF performance.

They say "revolutionary" and "next generation" . But with just 2 card slots it's only evolutionary. They should get the boffins from Gillette onto it. Then it would have 5 card slots! Drool.

Last edited:
Apparently the EVF blackouts are almost non existent now which is great news for me and panning. I asked about high ISO and got told its "cleeeeaaan" at 1600... I'm sure it is but that's not high ISO IMO.

More 25/12-100 shots here ( where Steve huff linked through to )

http://buchangrant.format.com/Blog/the

I was browsing the Olympus website, and noticed a few further bits and pieces which I hadn’t seen mentioned regarding the EM1 II. Obviously most everyone’s attention had been on the mad new AF system and incredible FPS that this new camera is reported to achieve, but I thought these little snippets might be of use.

The Good (in no particular order)

· The new battery (BLH-1) is not only over 37% greater capacity, but now shows the charge levels as a percentage (rather than bars) like the DSLR boys have been doing for a while. So no longer any need to guess how much juice is left.

· The camera has a built in AF limiter (for those lenses that don’t have an AF focus limit switch). Up to three different distances can be programmed, and it’s possible to turn the function on or off via a customised button.

· AF targeting pad. Just like Panasonic (and I believe the new PEN-F), the AF point can be moved by moving your finger across the screen. Furthermore it says if your nose touches the screen, it will not affect touch control of the AF target.

· Shutter release rated to 200,000 shots

· ISO Low 64 equivalent

· High res shot – whilst not quite the hand held high res that was being reported (maybe a firmware update), it can now compensate for item that move (trees, water etc.) using the new Truepic VIII processing engine, something the unit in the EM5 II can’t. Furthermore, shutter speeds in high res mode now run from 1/8000 all the way down to 8 seconds.

· Camera now bundled with the great little Olympus FL-LM3 unit that appeared in the EM5 II, so no more stupid double piece hot shoe covers.

· USB connector now USB3 for high speed transfer of shooting data.

· Low shutter speed limit – This function lets you set the shutter speed at which the ISO setting begins to automatically rise in ISO auto mode (at last)

· All settings and Mysets are now saveable to avoid having to reset them after a firmware upgrade.

· Grid Settings- You can now change the colour of the grid to make shooting easier in dark locations such as stage performances.

· Handheld 4K video now with the full power of the Olympus 5-Axis image stabilizer.

· Dual card slots with their function customizable.

· Shutter mechanism now sits in a floating mechanism so that shutter shock is not transmitted ot the body.

· Silent mode now available in shutter speeds rom 1/32,000 sec to the full 60 seconds.

Perhaps not so good (or not improved)

· Raw still at 12 bit (no 14 bit option)

· Interesting one this – make of it as you will. Auto ISO now runs from low (ISO64) to only 6400, whereas on the EM1, it goes all the way up to ISO25,600. Does this mean that the new sensor isn’t as good from a noise point of view than its predecessor, or just that Olympus are now more realistic in its ISO offerings (12,800 and 25,600 were never really good on the EM1)? I guess only time and reviews will tell.

· Still it seems there’s no way to name Mysets, which is a shame – however this might just not be documented (here’s hoping).

· Still no proper GPS option, instead having to rely on draining your smartphone using the Olympus app.

· Still no auto Panorama mode (like my GX8 has) pity as I use this feature quite often.

· Still no quick 100% push button for image review (unless it hasn’t been detailed)

I see the rear screen is the, EM5 mk2, like "twist and shout" type! As opposed to the flip-up type on the EM1 mk 1.
That will please some people and peace-off others. Whichever you say is better, you're wrong!

DSC09518.jpeg

Last edited:
Focus is terrible on that screen, surely the old one is better :p

The screen was 1 of the things that steered me towards the E-M5 MKII

Different strokes for different people I guess, as I had always preferred the tilt only screen of the EM1 to the fippy screen of the EM5 II

Different strokes for different people I guess, as I had always preferred the tilt only screen of the EM1 to the fippy screen of the EM5 II

I know what you mean about the tilt only screen I have that on my D750, you only need to tilt it for low shots but with the full flip and twist screen you need to bring it out from the body, but For normal shooting I have mine reversed so it won't get damaged plus it stops me chimping.

any news on release date for the mk two guys? hoping a few will get into reviewers hands soon-ish

If you keep the screen faced in normally then flipping it out for a low shot isn't actually that bad.

Sure I prefer the old fold out screen but in actual usage having it as above works fine, if you normally have the screen facing outwards it becomes a pain as you need a significant twist to turn it around.

I see the rear screen is the, EM5 mk2, like "twist and shout" type! As opposed to the flip-up type on the EM1 mk 1.
That will please some people and peace-off others. ..

Or is it? New pictures reveal it could be a flippy and a twisty screen. All in one!

Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-mark-II-featured.jpg

(Edit: they might be comparing old and new. It fooled me at first. Sad face emoji.)

Last edited:
i use the cuff on mine no problems but with the clutch you might not like how far the base plate sticks out, its easy to buy a stud like the black rapid one to use in its place mind you. or another available peak plate is for m4/3

Ok, yes the plate would be to big, but it is going back anyway. The clutch forces all of your fingers infront of the camera, no way can you reach the top front buttons when using it.

Or is it? New pictures reveal it could be a flippy and a twisty screen. All in one!

Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-mark-II-featured.jpg

(Edit: they might be comparing old and new. It fooled me at first. Sad face emoji.)
I think these are more useful for video more than anything else, I have the GX8 and em1 so both types, find I barely use them though they can be useful. Something better to have than not have but not essential either

I think these are more useful for video more than anything else, I have the GX8 and em1 so both types, find I barely use them though they can be useful. Something better to have than not have but not essential either

As someone once said "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Will this mean the end of any future updates for the EM5 ii ?
Olly are generally good at releasing updates for older models so I don't see why they'll neglect the EM5-II.

Ok, yes the plate would be to big, but it is going back anyway. The clutch forces all of your fingers infront of the camera, no way can you reach the top front buttons when using it.

I am going to have a play about making one myself. My other main hobby is bag making, so I have loads of bits of leather, webbing, material knocking around.

Well the flip up screen is very fast to flip out compared to the twisty ones. With a sudden fleeting candid it flip click done. While you'd be still wrestling with the twister. But the Flip up ones are useless for portrait orientation. Which is why I was hoping to see a combination type like Sony has.

Like both types of screen for different reasons.

Loved the tilt n the Em10, flip out one on the EM5-II was a pain for me. But as pointed out above YMMV.

I
· The camera has a built in AF limiter (for those lenses that don’t have an AF focus limit switch). Up to three different distances can be programmed, and it’s possible to turn the function on or off via a customised button.

· Low shutter speed limit – This function lets you set the shutter speed at which the ISO setting begins to automatically rise in ISO auto mode (at last)

Aside from the improvements in AF, these are two of the things that will make a massive difference in usability.

In particular the AF limiter will make the 40-150 perform very much better for moving subjects as it has a habit of stalling at close focus when it isn't sure what it's meant to be focussing on.

Overall though it's a great list of little tweaks that will improve the camera way beyond the headline features.

Last edited:
found one site stating mk11 due out before the end of this year, be nice but not holding my breath. i must admit i am excited by this offering, even though the high speed shooting and 4k vid do nothing for me

Without going down an equivalence rabbit hole (hence me asking here rather than starting a new thread!), what would it take in M4/3 world to have roughly the same high ISO noise handling as a D750 (for arguments sake) with an f2.8 zoom attached? Probably not explained it very well, but...

D750 - f2.8 lens, shutter speed at 1/200, fairly dark conditions (so, say ISO 6400 for arguments sake)

E-M1 - f1.4 lens, shutter speed at 1/200 (so presumably ISO1600)

Would the faster lens (two stops) on the E-M1 subsequently giving you a lower ISO be enough to make up the difference in terms of noise? Is it even close? I'm specifically ignoring other variables such as IBIS as I'm thinking about freezing movement, hence the fixed shutter speed.

Without going down an equivalence rabbit hole (hence me asking here rather than starting a new thread!), what would it take in M4/3 world to have roughly the same high ISO noise handling as a D750 (for arguments sake) with an f2.8 zoom attached? Probably not explained it very well, but...

D750 - f2.8 lens, shutter speed at 1/200, fairly dark conditions (so, say ISO 6400 for arguments sake)

Would the faster lens (two stops) on the E-M1 subsequently giving you a lower ISO be enough to make up the difference in terms of noise? Is it even close? I'm specifically ignoring other variables such as IBIS as I'm thinking about freezing movement, hence the fixed shutter speed.

All other things being equal, about the same, that's kind of the point of equivalence.

OMD 5 mk ii owners - have you noticed any issues with shutter shock?

Very occasionally but no where like it was with the EM10. It is lens specific though and the 40-150 kit lens was especially prone to it @1/320s which was where the default auto ISO kicked in, rather annoyingly...

Very occasionally but no where like it was with the EM10. It is lens specific though and the 40-150 kit lens was especially prone to it @1/320s which was where the default auto ISO kicked in, rather annoyingly...
I use the 14-150 a lot on the 5ii with no problems. But maybe I don't use 1/320. I mean, who needs 1/320?

I use the 14-150 a lot on the 5ii with no problems. But maybe I don't use 1/320. I mean, who needs 1/320?

That's the speed at which the auto ISO changes so in anything but bright light it is often there on aperture priority, I just switched to shutter priority with that lens, it was fine at 1/200 or 1/400. This was with th EM10 though, I've barely used the lens on the 5ii but vaguely recall it happened sometimes.

Edit, yours is a different lens, heavier than the 40-150 so probably dampens better.

It wouldn't help because M43 lenses are no faster than FF lenses, so in a situation where you generally had to use a 2.8 lens for FF you would also be stuck with 2.8 for M43. One might well ask why you were using a 2.8 zoom lens on the D750 if you needed 6400 ISO when there were perfectly good 1.8 and 1.4 lenses available.

Any Olympus uses tried the Panasonic 12-60 ?

I'm thinking of getting this and an EM5 mk ii

Justin,
If you looking for the em5 Mkii, I have the silver with less than 300 shutter actuation, + 17mm + 45mm and kit lens for sale. I have just got myself a Fuji x100t.

Justin,
If you looking for the em5 Mkii, I have the silver with less than 300 shutter actuation, + 17mm + 45mm and kit lens for sale. I have just got myself a Fuji x100t.

What made you change to the X100T?

I had every version of the X100 series but changed to the EM5 MKII
I loved the fuji's but the E-M5 MKII had a few things that I wanted to try live the live composite and the pro lenses.

Back