Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

thanks Graham - I tried every setting with C-AF + tracking over 2 days at Santa Pod and without fail, the focus box just kept wandering off. It would initially track a car and then go " oh, look - a lamp post " and focus on that. Utterly useless. So I ended up with either C-AF and S-AF Lo which is fine when shooting at high shutter speed but unfortunately that doesn't cut the mustard for motorsport where background blur is prefered. When shooting BMX, its even worse as the riders movements are less predictable than cars

So, what to do ? D500s are £1400 new ( grey ) and d750s are £950 used..that doesn't leave many pennies for lenses.

and then there's the weight

thanks Graham - I tried every setting with C-AF + tracking over 2 days at Santa Pod and without fail, the focus box just kept wandering off. It would initially track a car and then go " oh, look - a lamp post " and focus on that. Utterly useless. So I ended up with either C-AF and S-AF Lo which is fine when shooting at high shutter speed but unfortunately that doesn't cut the mustard for motorsport where background blur is prefered. When shooting BMX, its even worse as the riders movements are less predictable than cars

So, what to do ? D500s are £1400 new ( grey ) and d750s are £950 used..that doesn't leave many pennies for lenses.

What sort of focal lengths do you use?

With motorsport, I've tended to pre-focus even when I was using a DSLR particularly for slow shutter shots. Of course, it is very easy to do that as the movement is generally predictable on a race track. There really is no other choice with some more creative compositions or if you're shooting in a location where the car comes into view suddenly with little time for focus acquisition and tracking to occur / lock on properly.

For BMX, well that's a different story. Unpredictable movement, plus usually a smaller amount of contrast difference for the AF to work with on the target.

If AF performance is the most important thing for you, then I would be looking at the D500. Of course Photokina is just days away, and with it the likely E-MII announcement. However, while I'm sure it will have improved AF performance, I would be amazed if it matched the current abilities of the latest APS-C and FF bodies from Canon and Nikon.

You've got a tough decision to make!

Simon.

i know, Simon - its a pain. AF isn't the most important thing but its up there, as is low light / high ISO ( for milky way shots ). I looked at the XT-2 video this morning and even at 12800 its pretty damn clean, AF is OK ( not more than that as it still didn't focus a few times a a truck driving up the street ) but I don't think its for me..

I've been looking at the d500 as it has advantages like the AF, crop body so cheaper lenses but also not as good in low light as d750 ( not much between it, but there is a difference ). But its pricey so then a d750 appeals..but then the max shutter speed of the 750 is 1/4000 and the d500 is 1/8000..then there's the AF fine tune thing that i had when i had a d7000

With regards to the e-m1 II, it'll be ( at a guess ) £1700 when launched ? That means I'd have to find £1350+ just for the body which i can't justify. OK, I'm not in any major hurry to change ( which is fortunate given all of the above ) but if i'm going to through another £1000+ i might as well change systems

Last edited:
Bit of an issue with a new E-M10, wanted to ask on here first incase I am doing anything stupid before going back to the shop.

It was working fine when I first unboxed it, took a few shoots before I was going to put the low battery on charge.

Turned off on me so I assumed the battery had run out. Fully charged it and still getting the same issue. Lens extends, LCD sometimes comes on, all buttons are unresponsive. Lens retracts after about 5 seconds.

Can you do a hard reset on these before you have access to the menus. i.e are there any button combinations you can hold whilst powering on to do a reset ?

Bit of an issue with a new E-M10, wanted to ask on here first incase I am doing anything stupid before going back to the shop.

It was working fine when I first unboxed it, took a few shoots before I was going to put the low battery on charge.

Turned off on me so I assumed the battery had run out. Fully charged it and still getting the same issue. Lens extends, LCD sometimes comes on, all buttons are unresponsive. Lens retracts after about 5 seconds.

Can you do a hard reset on these before you have access to the menus. i.e are there any button combinations you can hold whilst powering on to do a reset ?

Anyone any ideas before I return it as DOA ? Which will be a bit of a shame, but can't go into details here yet.

I have tried the holding down menu button as powering on tip, no different. I don't think it is the battery, as when the screen does come on the battery is showing as full.
When the screen does come on, it is showing the correct mode, so it is doing something and the screen and VF change tone slightly before turning back to black as the lens retracts.

Anyone any ideas before I return it as DOA ? Which will be a bit of a shame, but can't go into details here yet.

I have tried the holding down menu button as powering on tip, no different. I don't think it is the battery, as when the screen does come on the battery is showing as full.
When the screen does come on, it is showing the correct mode, so it is doing something and the screen and VF change tone slightly before turning back to black as the lens retracts.
that does sound like battery to me, is there a shop near you or a member of tp you could chk using a spare battery?

Have you tried reseating the lens or turning it on without the lens mounted? Sometimes, the camera can turn off because the contacts are misalinged. If it does turn on without the lens, you could also try updating the firmware and doing a factory reset

Have you tried reseating the lens or turning it on without the lens mounted? Sometimes, the camera can turn off because the contacts are misalinged. If it does turn on without the lens, you could also try updating the firmware and doing a factory reset

Yes, checked the lens, taken it on and off a few times. Checked the contacts are all up, lens clicks in place when fitted. Does not turn on when lens removed.

Can't do a factory reset and presumably an update as I can't get to the menu.

If I connect it to the computer via USB, it brings up the USB options on the screen and I can move about between and then use Iphoto to transfer the images.

It just seems like the normal menu and shooting options are locked out

that does sound like battery to me, is there a shop near you or a member of tp you could chk using a spare battery?

I tried once more this morning and the screen did come on, long enough for me to start scrolling through to find the factory rest option and then it powered down again.

It does seem like a battery problem to me, I have contacted the shop to see what they think we do next.

I tried once more this morning and the screen did come on, long enough for me to start scrolling through to find the factory rest option and then it powered down again.

It does seem like a battery problem to me, I have contacted the shop to see what they think we do next.

Looks like DOA. Olympus and Wilkinsons can't think of anything obvious, so it is going back to Wilkinsons as DOA. Hats off to them so far, they are sending the new one out today and then letting me send back the faulty one (at their cost). No waiting for the faulty one to get back first before sending the new one.

Anyone else excited about Olympus's announcement this coming Monday on the new OMD-EM1 II ?

I love my EM1, but the prospects of 20mp, hand held High Res, Twin Card slots, faster AF etc. (that have all been mooted), makes it seem quite an upgrade ?

i'm not bothered by twin card slots but i appreciate that Olympus needs to offer it for the "pro" market

Price will be scary i guess

Anyone else excited about Olympus's announcement this coming Monday on the new OMD-EM1 II ?

I love my EM1, but the prospects of 20mp, hand held High Res, Twin Card slots, faster AF etc. (that have all been mooted), makes it seem quite an upgrade ?

Are Olympus officially announcing the EM1 II this Monday and giving all the specs etc?

Yep, this coming Monday the 19th Olympus will have a live streaming video of all the announcements and a press conference starting at 18.00 Berlin Time.

The EM1 II would be nice but I'm happy with my EM5 II so I can wait a year until there a reasonable(ish) price

It will be very nice to see how Olympus are planing to move with their cameras

Now I'm not happy as I started work at 04:00 on Monday & Tuesday so last night I went to bed at 19:00 as I was very tired, All I got at work today was "did you see all the lightening last night" I slept right trough it.

I really wanted to try the live composite feature on the E-M5 MK II on lightning and the only night I go to bed we get lightning!!!!

Did anybody get lightning last night and if yes did you shoot it?

yep cant wait!
, if the whispers hold true, rrp same as mk1 so around £1300 on release, time will tell. the hand held high rez could be ace look forward to the reviews

Looks like DOA. Olympus and Wilkinsons can't think of anything obvious, so it is going back to Wilkinsons as DOA. Hats off to them so far, they are sending the new one out today and then letting me send back the faulty one (at their cost). No waiting for the faulty one to get back first before sending the new one.

Well after a bit of a cock up with the courier delivering the new camera to the wrong place. I now have a fully working Mk1, not a broken Mk2 like that sent me wrong the first time.

Well after a bit of a cock up with the courier delivering the new camera to the wrong place. I now have a fully working Mk1, not a broken Mk2 like that sent me wrong the first time.
ace, that good they sorted the mistake quickly. enjoy your new toy!

I recently bought an Olympus Em1.

Couple of little thoughts, and would like opinions............

The function buttons cause me a bit of thought. I use the function 1 button to magnify the image in the EVF. But as I have the Focus Peaking on, there seems not much point to use magnify.

I use the lens function button to switch on the digital tele-converter. The lens I use this with is the 12-50mm lens. If I change lens to the 75-300mm which has no function button, the camera is stuck in the X2 mode. I guess one can dive into the menu to switch it off, but that is not always convenient when trying to take fast shots.

What do you do with these function buttons?.

I note that the two so called function buttons on the front face of the came beside the lens are kind of dedicated to Bracket and preview.

Finally the AEL/AFL switch confuses me. I see you can protect a photo with its button, position 1 give me Auto Focus, and position 2 gives me Manual focus. Which is fine, but are there any other benefits?

A complicated camera which I certainly enjoy using, and better I think than my EM10. I bought it for the better stabilisation.

be glad to read opinions and experiences, better than reading the handbook...

TIA:olympus:

I like my EM5 II and use it quite a lot but a do find the buttons confusing and annoying when I accidentally press one and am then left wondering why the functionality of the dials has changed and I have no idea which button to press to get back to "normal" operation

I've settled on a reasonable button configuration on my EM5ii. But my settings are probably personal, and you're going to have to spend time to discover what you need. Those who have owned an Olympus for a while get used to it, and forget the frustration. But it doesn't mean it's good. Olympus could have done a much better job with the ergonomics. I also don't understand why they limit which functions can be assigned to different buttons.

Last edited:
Seems the mk2 will be "pre-launched on Monday and not available until next year

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-list-ol...nounced-monday-e-m1ii-gh5-will-pre-announced/

I also see a price for the 25mm f1.2 at $1200 so assume similar GBP. Can someone enlighten me as to the cost of a FF 50mm f1.8 because, whilst I see that Olympus is targeting the professional market, at those prices I'm out.

Edit - Nikon 50mm afs is under £160

Last edited:
Seems the mk2 will be "pre-launched on Monday and not available until next year

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-list-ol...nounced-monday-e-m1ii-gh5-will-pre-announced/

I also see a price for the 25mm f1.2 at $1200 so assume similar GBP. Can someone enlighten me as to the cost of a FF 50mm f1.8 because, whilst I see that Olympus is targeting the professional market, at those prices I'm out.

Edit - Nikon 50mm afs is under £160

It does look pricy! But I think this is a reflection partly on the challenge that m4/3 presents in terms of offering good resolution with such high pixel density. I guess it'll be pretty nicely built in comparison to the Nikon too. All that said, it'll not be for me at that price!

I agree. I'm really thinking of going back to Nikon - but I have the usual dilemma of wanting great low light / high ISO performance ( FF ) and amazing AF accuracy ( crop ).

Ho hum

EDIT - that's quite lovely :clap:

It does look pricy! But I think this is a reflection partly on the challenge that m4/3 presents in terms of offering good resolution with such high pixel density. I guess it'll be pretty nicely built in comparison to the Nikon too. All that said, it'll not be for me at that price!

You could argue the same about the recently released PL 12mm. I'm guessing both lenses are unashamedly going after the high end of the market :)

Simon.

I recently bought an Olympus Em1.

Couple of little thoughts, and would like opinions............

The function buttons cause me a bit of thought. I use the function 1 button to magnify the image in the EVF. But as I have the Focus Peaking on, there seems not much point to use magnify.

I use the lens function button to switch on the digital tele-converter. The lens I use this with is the 12-50mm lens. If I change lens to the 75-300mm which has no function button, the camera is stuck in the X2 mode. I guess one can dive into the menu to switch it off, but that is not always convenient when trying to take fast shots.

What do you do with these function buttons?.

I note that the two so called function buttons on the front face of the came beside the lens are kind of dedicated to Bracket and preview.

Finally the AEL/AFL switch confuses me. I see you can protect a photo with its button, position 1 give me Auto Focus, and position 2 gives me Manual focus. Which is fine, but are there any other benefits?

A complicated camera which I certainly enjoy using, and better I think than my EM10. I bought it for the better stabilisation.

be glad to read opinions and experiences, better than reading the handbook...

TIA:olympus:

I don't really see the point in the digi teleconverter, you get just as good results cropping afterwards. Also, the front two buttons are programmable so I mainly use those (programmed to mysets - 'portrait' and 'fast stuff') with the function button on top being set to multi-function - usually magnify as nailing focus with a tele lens at distance can take a couple of tries. That leaves the function button on the back corner which I can't even remember what I have it set to.

What I really wish they'd do is make the buttons able to toggle settings such as spot metering or AF type. No idea why they don't do this already.

Has any one got a link to a good hand strap for the M10 ? I would like one about 25mm wide that will keep my right hand reasonably tight to the camera.

The arthritis is my fingers does some times lead me to dropping smaller shinny objects (ie mobiles) and I would rather not do that with the M10.

The clutch is the type I am after, but they do say it is for DSLRs including full frame models. Has anyone tried one on an OMD ?

I also really like the anchor system as well, that might all tie in nicely with the messenger bag I am currently making.
i use the cuff on mine no problems but with the clutch you might not like how far the base plate sticks out, its easy to buy a stud like the black rapid one to use in its place mind you. or another available peak plate is for m4/3

I had a little play with the Live Composite mode last night but my lens misted up so the 1st shot was only about 30 mins not the 90 that I wanted, the 2nd is my attempt at the MilkyWay I know it was too bright to shoot the milky way and I was in the wrong location as I was stood on top of a motorway bridge at the time but you do what you can.

M55 Westbound

I see you're Olympus' POTD

Back