Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Man in the Moon by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

An early evening attempt, wanted to capture the crescent earlier this week but didn't have the time. This will have to do :)

E-M5 MKII, Tokina 300 f/2.8 (FD mount) with stacked Canon x1.4 and Oly x1.4 teleconverters. Electronic shutter, 11 exposures aligned and merged with Registax.

An amazing shot Huw. IS the Tokina miles ahead of the Zuiko 75-300mm? Or is the result down to technique? Just would like to be able to emulate your photo/technique. Any secrets :):):)

An amazing shot Huw. IS the Tokina miles ahead of the Zuiko 75-300mm? Or is the result down to technique? Just would like to be able to emulate your photo/technique. Any secrets :):):)

Thanks Mark, you probably know that the Tokina 300 f/2.8 is an 35mm film era prime and quality wise I would say that it has the 75 - 300 mm covered.
In the case of this shot here the focal length was ~588mm because I also used stacked Canon x1.4 and Oly x1.4 teleconverters.
My technique is a sturdy tripod, camera to shutter priority (or fully manual), spot metering, IS off, remote release (and more recently I've been using electronic shutter), focus using rear screen at x5 or x7 magnification. iso 200 or 400, shutter speed of 1/100 or more.
Give it a go and see how you get on :)

Hi all. Looking at dumping the original neck straps from both my Olympus EM1 and Panasonic GX8 in favour of a better quick release system.

I've seen some photos of cameras with small little round red "buttons" hanging off the camera body eyelets, that snap into (and out of) the neck strap, meaning I would only need to carry one neck strap for both bodies and so long as I had 2 pairs of these "button" dongle things, I could attach a pair to either camera and then just snap the neck strap into which ever one I'm using out of the bag at the time (or remove it completely when on a tripod).

Trouble is I don't know who makes these and if they are any good ? Anyone know what I talking about and can recommend anything please ?

Hi all. Looking at dumping the original neck straps from both my Olympus EM1 and Panasonic GX8 in favour of a better quick release system.

I've seen some photos of cameras with small little round red "buttons" hanging off the camera body eyelets, that snap into (and out of) the neck strap, meaning I would only need to carry one neck strap for both bodies and so long as I had 2 pairs of these "button" dongle things, I could attach a pair to either camera and then just snap the neck strap into which ever one I'm using out of the bag at the time (or remove it completely when on a tripod).

Trouble is I don't know who makes these and if they are any good ? Anyone know what I talking about and can recommend anything please ?

Peak Design, and they are absolutely superb :)

Thanks Mark, you probably know that the Tokina 300 f/2.8 is an 35mm film era prime and quality wise I would say that it has the 75 - 300 mm covered.
In the case of this shot here the focal length was ~588mm because I also used stacked Canon x1.4 and Oly x1.4 teleconverters.
My technique is a sturdy tripod, camera to shutter priority (or fully manual), spot metering, IS off, remote release (and more recently I've been using electronic shutter), focus using rear screen at x5 or x7 magnification. iso 200 or 400, shutter speed of 1/100 or more.
Give it a go and see how you get on :)

Huw, yes thanks for the reply. What Oly x1.4 converter do you use? All I can see is the EC which fits 4/3rd (not MFT) or the MC which seems to be specific for the MFT pro lens's.

My Em1 and 75-300mm should be good, and can double it using the X2 function. Are you doubling up again by using two tele-converters?

Thanks for your time..........

Mj

Huw, yes thanks for the reply. What Oly x1.4 converter do you use? All I can see is the EC which fits 4/3rd (not MFT) or the MC which seems to be specific for the MFT pro lens's.

My Em1 and 75-300mm should be good, and can double it using the X2 function. Are you doubling up again by using two tele-converters?

Thanks for your time..........

Mj

No problem happy to respond :)
I'm using the MC-14 (came together with my 40-150 Pro), the sequence is as follows, Oly body + MC-14 + m4/3rds to FD adapter + Canon FD x.14 teleconverter + Tokina 300.
Yes doubling up approximately by using the two x1.4 converters but optically they are both very good probably better than just cropping the image which is essentially what the in body x2 function is doing.
I have a Tokina x2 teleconverter as well, but it's not up to quality of the two x1.4 in combination. I have used it together with the Canon x1.4 with reasonable results, again shots of the moon.

TelescopeMan.jpg

No problem happy to respond :)
I'm using the MC-14 (came together with my 40-150 Pro), the sequence is as follows, Oly body + MC-14 + m4/3rds to FD adapter + Canon FD x.14 teleconverter + Tokina 300.
Yes doubling up approximately by using the two x1.4 converters but optically they are both very good probably better than just cropping the image which is essentially what the in body x2 function is doing.
I have a Tokina x2 teleconverter as well, but it's not up to quality of the two x1.4 in combination. I have used it together with the Canon x1.4 with reasonable results, again shots of the moon.

Huw, Thanks for the nuts and bolts. Much appreciated.......

Ian's cartoon is very good as well, assume its relevant to our conversation.

How would the rest of us take a chance on that combination of kit. Many thanks for the (Heath Robinson) collection of lens's and gear. {I speak as a total novice in these matters}

Your results are well worth the journey............................

Mj:):):):):)

Last edited:
Well I've just got it and the "dongles" are fine, but then I did get the smaller "lite" strap designed for smaller mirror less cameras. Maybe they are smaller, but certainly don't seem out of place on my EM1 or GX8 at all.

Well I've just got it and the "dongles" are fine, but then I did get the smaller "lite" strap designed for smaller mirror less cameras. Maybe they are smaller, but certainly don't seem out of place on my EM1 or GX8 at all.
they are all the same size-the round tag bits, great bit of design

Just a heads up for anyone that's interested. After my recent unsuccessful foray with Fuji with the X-T2 (lovely camera but just not for me), and having sold off all my full frame DSLR gear (retaining just the D500), I had decided to purchase the new OMD EM1 MK II when it was launched with the money I had sat in my account. Sure it's expensive but you only live once, and I have already invested quite a bit into the ecosystem that is micro four thirds.

I didn't pre-order so thought I'd have to wait until late Jan or Feb before all the pre-orders were fulfilled, but I by chance spoke to SRS Microsystems (an Olympus authorized Dealer), and they told me they were expecting their allocation to arrive this week, and that they might have a few bodies spare. Well they just contacted me to say the bodies had arrived (some of the first in the UK), and that they did have a few spares of which I have just purchased one, which should be with me tomorrow. Don't know how many arrived with them or how many spares they might have ?

So if anyone wants one, give them a call, although I suspect that all the other main dealers - WEX, Park etc. will have received theirs as well.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone that's interested. After my recent unsuccessful foray with Fuji with the X-T2 (lovely camera but just not for me), and having sold off all my full frame DSLR gear (retaining just the D500), I had decided to purchase the new OMD EM1 MK II when it was launched with the money I had sat in my account. Sure it's expensive but you only live once, and I have already invested quite a bit into the ecosystem that is micro four thirds.

I didn't pre-order so thought I'd have to wait until late Jan or Feb before all the pre-orders were fulfilled, but I by chance spoke to SRS Microsystems (an Olympus authorized Dealer), and they told me they were expecting their allocation to arrive this week, and that they might have a few bodies spare. Well they just contacted me to say the bodies had arrived (some of the first in the UK), and that they did have a few spares of which I have just purchased one, which should be with me tomorrow. Don't know how many arrived with them or how many spares they might have ?

So if anyone wants one, give them a call, although I suspect that all the other main dealers - WEX, Park etc. will have received theirs as well.
look forward to your reveiw!

Well, she's here !

First impressions - well I haven't had the opportunity to use it much (I will do over the weekend), but the first out of the box impressions are

1. Feels very much like my EM1 MK1 but the grip is quite a bit nicer to hold (and I thought the EM1 MK1 was good). Overall though very familiar.

2. The shutter is very quiet. Not that the EM1 was loud but this must be half as quiet again. It was like going from my D800 to the D810 - it's that much of a difference.

3. Olympus in their wisdom decided to use a 2.5mm remote jack, but I stupidly thought it might follow the same technical standards as Panasonic on my GX8 (as they also use a 2.5mm jack), but no, don't know what the difference is but a Panasonic remote doesn't work. No way I'm going to be spending £60 on an Olympus one, so I might just have to wait for aftermarket ones to come along.

4. Surprisingly, I haven't done any C-AF or shooting speed tests (these have been done to death on the web anyway), but you do notice immediately how much quicker the MK2 locks onto subjects (especially in low light) than the EM1 MK1 which was no slouch itself.

I've only done one low light shot so far (which was just a test shot) @ ISO5000, shot in raw under kitchen lights at night and developed with the Beta Camera Raw in Photoshop CC2017, but it doesn't look half bad (a little bit of noise reduction took place) but it does retain detail and DR quite well for the ISO and such a small sensor. I'm sure once I dial in my develop recipe and once Capture one Pro handles the Em1 MK2, they will potentially look even better.

Oh, and the hype over the new IBIS combined with the IS on the 12-100 isn't hype, it's true. I shot a handheld image last night at 55mm (110mm effective) at 2.7 seconds and it was tack sharp !

Anyway, that's it for now, but I'll report back when I've had opportunity to use it more and get a better feel for it.

Last edited:
Looks very nice, thanks for the initial feedback. I'm still trying to hold off the temptation (having recently sunk cash into a 7-14 f/2.8) :)

Looks very nice, thanks for the initial feedback. I'm still trying to hold off the temptation (having recently sunk cash into a 7-14 f/2.8) :)

How are you finding the 7-14mm Huw? It's a lens I'm looking closely at, but am in two minds as to whether to wait until the Panny 8-18mm is launched (or at least until prices are unveiled!).

Cheers,

Simon.

How are you finding the 7-14mm Huw? It's a lens I'm looking closely at, but am in two minds as to whether to wait until the Panny 8-18mm is launched (or at least until prices are unveiled!).

Cheers,

Simon.

I love it (so far) it's much more compact and lighter than my old 3/4rds SHG 7-14 f/4 lens, that was a beast. Equally though the image quality seems to me to be just as good, mine needs around f/5 to be sharp in the corners but that's fine.
Thoroughly recommended in my book

I love it (so far) it's much more compact and lighter than my old 3/4rds SHG 7-14 f/4 lens, that was a beast. Equally though the image quality seems to me to be just as good, mine needs around f/5 to be sharp in the corners but that's fine.
Thoroughly recommended in my book

Cheers Huw. It would be used for landscape work, so a bit of stopping down isn't a problem. The added cost of investing into a new set of larger filters is also a big factor, although I could always exposure blend :). Thanks again for the feedback.

Simon.

Well battery grip has just arrived (thank you Clifton Cameras), and it now feels much better, although the new grip is quite a bit bigger than the one on the EM1 MK II, but the pair together with the 12-100 feels a little bit like a smaller Nikon D4 that i had, very solid and re-assuring but much lighter).

Now if I could only sort out a remote (wired or otherwise, I'd be sorted) !

Last edited:
I know Ian, and as a last resort it's what I'll have to use. For me though, as Olympus have very thoughtfully put the remote release socket on the left side of the body (near the grip and shutter release), it means using the EM1 MK II on a generic L-bracket I currently have allows me to get at the socket very easily when shooting in portrait format, and if I could get a multifunction timer like the one I purchased form Amazon for my GX8 (for less than £20), then that would be the icing on the cake. Like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SRBX4CU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great that they have integrated the four way controller into the grip, it's a bit of a stretch in the current E-M1 + Grip setup.

Now if I could only sort out a remote (wired or otherwise, I'd be sorted) !
Reading on Amateur Photographer Pentax and Canon remotes work

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review

The adoption of a high-speed USB-C connector means that Olympus’s proprietary connector has disappeared. This was also used for the electronic cable release, and the E-M1 II is equipped with a 2.5mm socket instead. I’ve found this to be fully compatible with Pentax and Canon E3-type remotes or third-party alternatives, so there’s no shortage of options available on the market.
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review#osRrz64Ay1vqlXFD.99

Last edited:
Back