Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Owing to severe arthritis in my hands I am gradually moving over to micro four thirds from Canon full frame which I now find too bulky and heavy. I already have the OM-D 1 MkI and I have just ordered the MarkII. I find the mark I a total joy to handle so I'm hoping for great things from the MarkII.

Hope that works for you. Oly Em 1's must be a lot smaller than the Canon, and thus maybe more difficult to get your fingers on the right buttons.

I use the Mk 1, and find the various buttons only just managable.................

Good luck

Hi Mark. The small buttons were a concern before I handled the MarkI but they seem to be Ok for me. Hope the Mark II is just as good.

Spent 4 days over on the east coast for a short break - the great thing about the little Olympus is that it all fits into a small bag and the wife doesn't think I am treating the holiday as a "photography trip" :)

Managed to sneak out a few times and must admit that the late sunrise time is much better than the 4am starts in summer.

Here is one of the photos from a sunrise trip to Staithes.

Sleepy Staithes by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
What does everyone have the noise filter set to ? I was out on Sunday morning ( pretty dull and overcast but 9am ) and shot at iso800 and noticed a lot of noise. Now, much of this may be down to me centre metering so probably under exposing many shots but I was surprised / disappointed. I had the noise filter set to standard - is low any "better" ? I have sharpening at +1

I know, you'd think I'd have this nailed after 2 years. The 40-150 pro was hunting a lot too...so much so that I began to think about another system :eek:

Last edited:
What does everyone have the noise filter set to ? I was out on Sunday morning ( pretty dull and overcast but 9am ) and shot at iso800 and noticed a lot of noise. Now, much of this may be down to me centre metering so probably under exposing many shots but I was surprised / disappointed. I had the noise filter set to standard - is low any "better" ? I have sharpening at +1

I know, you'd think I'd have this nailed after 2 years. The 40-150 pro was hunting a lot too...so much so that I began to think about another system :eek:

I find the OMDs over-sharpen as standard and the in camera sharpening really adds to the noise so I have sharpening set to zero. Well, actually I shoot raw so it doesn't really matter but when I do shoot jpg...

next weird question..( and I've not even had anything to drink yet.. ).. i find that due to my superpowers, the paint rubs off of the buttons, mainly on the "ok" and the "play".

Has anyone used any pens to draw these back in and if so, can you recommend one ? I guess they need to be 0.5mm knib

next weird question..( and I've not even had anything to drink yet.. ).. i find that due to my superpowers, the paint rubs off of the buttons, mainly on the "ok" and the "play".

Has anyone used any pens to draw these back in and if so, can you recommend one ? I guess they need to be 0.5mm knib

Show off! It's mainly my trash button that wears off.

Well my shiny new EM-1 Mark II arrived yesterday. Whilst I find it eminently useable, my old arthritic fingers don't find the buttons and particularly the rear dial as easy to operate as the Mark I. First testing also show that RAW images are nowhere near as sharp OOC as the Mark I. No matter really as they are plenty sharp enough after processing but I think this camera is going to take a tad more knowing than the old model. I only hope Adobe update ACR soon as I dislike Olympus view software intensely.

I'm considering getting a used E-M5 for landscape & general photography and looking for advice on the best bang for buck starter lens to go with it. Ideally would prefer a zoom but might consider a couple of primes. All advice appreciated

Letraset white letters covered with clear tape would be your best bet

I find the OMDs over-sharpen as standard and the in camera sharpening really adds to the noise so I have sharpening set to zero. Well, actually I shoot raw so it doesn't really matter but when I do shoot jpg...
Zero is standard on my OMD

The Panasonic 14mm 2.5 also makes a nice landscape lens if 28mm equiv is your thing.

The Panasonic 14mm 2.5 also makes a nice landscape lens if 28mm equiv is your thing.

It's a great lens, kinda regret selling mine. I kept the 17mm but for me it's an it of a meh focal length, much prefer 25 and 14 (or 50 and 28mm FFE).

That is very interesting to say the least!!
Do you own any Olympii with the E-M5's Sony sensor?
It dawned on me today the reason for this. I mentioned above that as Lightroom cannot at present open RAW files from the Marl II I process them in in Olympus View 3, whereas the Mark I Raw files are processed in LR. It slipped my mind that LR as a default applies sharpening to RAW files on import, but Olympus View 3 does not. Therein lies the difference I suspect.

It dawned on me today the reason for this. I mentioned above that as Lightroom cannot at present open RAW files from the Marl II I process them in in Olympus View 3, whereas the Mark I Raw files are processed in LR. It slipped my mind that LR as a default applies sharpening to RAW files on import, but Olympus View 3 does not. Therein lies the difference I suspect.

I had the same situation when i started with Panasonic, downloading into bridge, my i had been using view nx for my Nikon.

For those with the new OM-D EM-1 Mark II and who use Lightroom, there is a new update (6.8) which enables RAW files to be read and processed. Good quick response from Adobe.:clap:

Another shot from my trip to the east coast last week.

The old couples dog is stood well back but they almost got drenched a few times as they walked along the front :)

Keep Right! by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Great shot, love the composition and timing although wonder if the B&W conversion needs a touch more contrast or maybe some selective alteration of the colour channels?

Had my first incidence of banding this week with the e-m1 and 40-150 Pro at iso3200. Was at my son's xmas play in a church so the light quality was dire and dull.

Hadn't experienced it before..

Great shot, love the composition and timing although wonder if the B&W conversion needs a touch more contrast or maybe some selective alteration of the colour channels?
Thanks Ned - didn't spend a lot of time on it. I think I just put it through SilverFX and used a preset.

Will take a closer look when I have the computer on next time.

Very Nice capture Dave,you seem to be loving the pen,Seems it would be a good street photography body
I love the portability Chris - I find the form and function of it perfect for a take anywhere camera (as I am sure all the Olympus cameras are)

This was the first shot I took with the 40-150 - cheap and works a treat.

Didn't have the mk1 but the mk2 I had was great to about 285mm. Realistically, it was good at 300mm but you need good light / steady hands to shoot at 600mm equivalent hand held. If you had the mk1, I guess you know this already :)

Write ups say the mk2 is much better, but am unsure its worth upgrading to for my limited ability..........

I try to photo birds at the WWT at a distance of about 30 metres, usually a bean bag as support from a hide window. Results mediocre I think, but suspect I am expecting too much from this sort of lens and perhaps camera........

Same old story...........

They're basically the same lens with a different appearance. The mk2 possibly uses different lens coatings but that's about it. Mk2 looks much nicer though :)

I'm not sure. My EM5ii uses the "EP 15" . It should be possible to find the model number for each eyepiece for each camera.

Back