Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well just sold my Panasonic 100-400 lens. It was a great lens but TBH I just wasn't using it that much. With light levels (especially at this time of the year) being relatively low, where I usually do most of my bird photography is in shadow most of the time, and I just felt that at F5.6-6.3 at the long end, it was forcing the ISO's northwards of 4000-6400, where both the EM1 MKII and my Panasonic G9 don't really excel. I've found that instead I've either been using my Olympus 50-140 F2.8 (with and with T/C) or my Olympus 300 mm F4 to gain me the extra stop of light. I know that when I add the T/C to the 300 mm F4 it becomes an F5.6 but I use this lens most of the time without the T/C (unless the light is really good).

As good as the 100-400 was (and is), with me having the other lenses, I just found it was staying at home, so might as well get some money back on it. Purchased it mid 2016 from Jessops for £1,249 and just sold it for £1,099, so not too much of a loss over 2 years. I know the zoom had the convenience especially over the prime, but couldn't justify keeping both of them, and TBH, you would have to pry the 300 mm F4 from my cold dead hands :D

Have you been out in bright sun? There have been reports of the sun 'burning' the viewfinder so it could be that, in which case it would need to go back to Olympus unfortunately. Does it look like this?
http://camera-sense.com/olympus-e-m1-evf-damage.html

I'm not aware of a way to clean inside the viewfinder itself, but you can take the rubber eyecup off to clean the outside glass.

This is EXACTLY what it looks like - thanks very much! I guess I might have been out in bright sun especially when we are out hiking at high altitudes. So I guess i need to speak to Olympus or should I take it back to the shop where i bought it and they will organise? i have only had it 6 months so this is a bit annoying as it implies that this is going to happen again....do you know if there is a way to avoid this in future?

Well just sold my Panasonic 100-400 lens. It was a great lens but TBH I just wasn't using it that much. With light levels (especially at this time of the year) being relatively low, where I usually do most of my bird photography is in shadow most of the time, and I just felt that at F5.6-6.3 at the long end, it was forcing the ISO's northwards of 4000-6400, where both the EM1 MKII and my Panasonic G9 don't really excel. I've found that instead I've either been using my Olympus 50-140 F2.8 (with and with T/C) or my Olympus 300 mm F4 to gain me the extra stop of light. I know that when I add the T/C to the 300 mm F4 it becomes an F5.6 but I use this lens most of the time without the T/C (unless the light is really good).

As good as the 100-400 was (and is), with me having the other lenses, I just found it was staying at home, so might as well get some money back on it. Purchased it mid 2016 from Jessops for £1,249 and just sold it for £1,099, so not too much of a loss over 2 years. I know the zoom had the convenience especially over the prime, but couldn't justify keeping both of them, and TBH, you would have to pry the 300 mm F4 from my cold dead hands :D

Ok this in interesting! Thanks for such a detailed response - I hadn't thought about using prime before but I do love having the zoom option :)

This is EXACTLY what it looks like - thanks very much! I guess I might have been out in bright sun especially when we are out hiking at high altitudes. So I guess i need to speak to Olympus or should I take it back to the shop where i bought it and they will organise? i have only had it 6 months so this is a bit annoying as it implies that this is going to happen again....do you know if there is a way to avoid this in future?
The only way to avoid it is avoiding direct sunlight into the viewfinder, but this can obviously be very tricky and I guess I've just been lucky as my camera is always on a sling strap and could easily get sunlight into the viewfinder. It's a poor design for sure, and I wasn't aware of it until recently when another member posted the same issue on here.

I don't know who would be best to speak to tbh, probably speak to the store and take it from there.

Thanks very much - it is still under guarantee so I guess they will repair it this time but I'll just have to try and be careful in future and cover up the viewfinder if I'm not using it....

I emailed them and got a fairly prompt response asking me to send it in with the form they sent in their reply. Will not be able act on it until next week. But one thing unclear is will I get the return postage paid???

But as per you guys above I will get cheaper alternatives for routine usage.

Well collected the DHL parcel with the lens cap.....................big box for the size of the contents!

Looks like they glued it back together and gave it a clean.

Accompanying "Technical Service Report" helpfully( :( ) says 'Product has been checked and cleaned'

Thanks very much - it is still under guarantee so I guess they will repair it this time but I'll just have to try and be careful in future and cover up the viewfinder if I'm not using it....

The manual for my E-M10 Mkii says this:
"Do not leave the viewfinder exposed to a strong light source or direct sunlight. The heat may damage the viewfinder."
It comes under "Handling the camera" after warnings for not using the camera "Near flammable items and explosives" and "in wet places, such as bathrooms..." Not really giving it the prominence it deserves. That's not particularly helpful and certainly wasn't something I'd read and appreciated.

They could try and argue it was mistreated rather than faulty but I'd argue it was a design flaw.

I would say as little as possible about it other than "my camera is almost new and something has gone wrong with the screen".
I would hope the retailer and/or Olympus would be reasonable about it and fix it for you.

Something I'll be keeping in mind in future, sorry it happened to you.

"Do not leave the viewfinder exposed to a strong light source or direct sunlight. The heat may damage the viewfinder."
It comes under "Handling the camera" after warnings for not using the camera "Near flammable items and explosives" and "in wet places, such as bathrooms..." Not really giving it the prominence it deserves. That's not particularly helpful and certainly wasn't something I'd read and appreciated.

They could try and argue it was mistreated rather than faulty but I'd argue it was a design flaw.

I would say as little as possible about it other than "my camera is almost new and something has gone wrong with the screen".
I would hope the retailer and/or Olympus would be reasonable about it and fix it for you.

Thanks for this and for letting me know! ill just be vague and plead ignorance- I don’t see how they can make a viewfinder that cannot be used in strong sunlight... a bit hard when you live in the French alps! Lesson learnt... now how best to protect it in the future?!

Hi everyone! I have noticed that I have weird fluorescent squiggles when i look through my viewfinder ( which I hardly ever use so haven't noticed when this happened). There are no issues with the lenses or the sensor apparently as the images when shot are perfect. Therefore I am assuming that there is some dirt in the viewfinder. Does anyone know what this might be and if I am able to clean it myself ( without damaging my camera)?

Also I really enjoyed taking some photos of surfers in action over the weekend but noticed that my 40-150 mm lens doesn't stretch far enough - any advice on the next telephoto zoom lens to buy that would get that next range 150-300 mm or similar (preferably not massively expensive as i'm still very much a beginner)?
That happened to my EM5 MKII. Sometimes if the EVF is at a certain angle to the sun, then it can burn the screen. Its especially likely if you have the diopter set at high magnification. Fortunately I had only owned my used EM5 for a week so the retailer, camera jungle in this instance, took it back and sent me a replacement. Whilst your pretty unlucky to have it happen, there are reports of damaged EVF's on the web. Olympus will do a repair under guarantee.

I'd also argue that it's a design flaw and not fit for purpose, having a camera that is vulnerable to being used in sunlight is not what you expect when buying such an item.

Thanks for this and for letting me know! ill just be vague and plead ignorance- I don’t see how they can make a viewfinder that cannot be used in strong sunlight... a bit hard when you live in the French alps! Lesson learnt... now how best to protect it in the future?!

I guess the thing to avoid is having the camera pointing downwards with the EVF exposed in strong sunlight? Certainly avoid carrying it with the lens pointing down in the midday sun. I'd guess the thin air and bright sun on the Alps will be particularly dangerous.

I've just checked the dioptre setting on my E-M10ii which it turns out had been knocked (it's a wonder I got anything in focus!).
I only have a small + adjustment dialled in - I understand that more significant + adjustment makes it more dangerous.

I'd also argue that it's a design flaw and not fit for purpose, having a camera that is vulnerable to being used in sunlight is not what you expect when buying such an item.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm not sure how you can design an EVF that provides dioptre adjustment that can't risk focusing the sun on the display panel but I'm not an optical engineer. I assume it's the same principal as a magnifying glass on a bit of paper, get the angle just right and you can set it on fire quite easily.
I recently learned about the danger of shooting straight into the sun burning into the sensor, which is obvious when you think about it but again - not really given the prominence in the documentation that it deserves.

Fingers crossed that Olympus will be fair about this. I think they really ought to make the warnings in the documentation a lot more prominent if they can't design out the danger to the EVF.

( I've just checked the dioptre setting on my E-M10ii which it turns out had been knocked (it's a wonder I got anything in focus!).
It does not effect Focus only what YOU see in the VF .
Rob.

I guess the thing to avoid is having the camera pointing downwards with the EVF exposed in strong sunlight? Certainly avoid carrying it with the lens pointing down in the midday sun. I'd guess the thin air and bright sun on the Alps will be particularly dangerous.

I've just checked the dioptre setting on my E-M10ii which it turns out had been knocked (it's a wonder I got anything in focus!).
I only have a small + adjustment dialled in - I understand that more significant + adjustment makes it more dangerous.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm not sure how you can design an EVF that provides dioptre adjustment that can't risk focusing the sun on the display panel but I'm not an optical engineer. I assume it's the same principal as a magnifying glass on a bit of paper, get the angle just right and you can set it on fire quite easily.
I recently learned about the danger of shooting straight into the sun burning into the sensor, which is obvious when you think about it but again - not really given the prominence in the documentation that it deserves.

Fingers crossed that Olympus will be fair about this. I think they really ought to make the warnings in the documentation a lot more prominent if they can't design out the danger to the EVF.
Yeah I see the principle of it, but I've not heard of it happening to any other manufacturer so it seems it something to do with Olympus viewfinders which is why I would then argue their design is not fit for purpose. I carry my camera around on a sling strap and as such the lens points down and the EVF up, the same way I've carried all of my cameras. Obviously you have to be pretty unlucky for it to happen, but I'd not be happy if it happened to my EM1 just from carrying it around.

Just read this, which suggests that it's older models that were affected and that Olympus fixed it on the newer ones. How old are the two cameras that have had the EVF burn issue on here recently? My EM1 is about 18months old so I'm wondering if this might not be susceptible?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4182718

I've been a mirrorless user exclusively for almost 8 years, Ive never had the sun-burn issue on any camera evf previous to this one. As far as I am concerned this is a manufacturing flaw.

I read somewhere recently about a fix some guy had made, something to do with an IR filter. Not sure how successful this is.

( I've just checked the dioptre setting on my E-M10ii which it turns out had been knocked (it's a wonder I got anything in focus!).
It does not effect Focus only what YOU see in the VF .
Rob.
Of course! My point was I can't have been paying close attention to anything other than framing through the EVF, I rarely use manual focusing and when I do I use peaking. ;)

Yeah I see the principle of it, but I've not heard of it happening to any other manufacturer so it seems it something to do with Olympus viewfinders which is why I would then argue their design is not fit for purpose. I carry my camera around on a sling strap and as such the lens points down and the EVF up, the same way I've carried all of my cameras. Obviously you have to be pretty unlucky for it to happen, but I'd not be happy if it happened to my EM1 just from carrying it around.
I've been a mirrorless user exclusively for almost 8 years, Ive never had the sun-burn issue on any camera evf previous to this one. As far as I am concerned this is a manufacturing flaw.

I read somewhere recently about a fix some guy had made, something to do with an IR filter. Not sure how successful this is.

I've had mirrorless since 2013 and have only heard about it on a few E-M5s so I was surprised too.

When I was thinking about this I was considering it to be a very high temperature thing - back to the magnifying glass analogy.
Hard to imagine how you could make any EVF resilient to the full magnified force of the sun.
Thinking a bit further on perhaps the screen or one of the elements of it is very temperature sensitive, much more prone to damage than it should be and that's why it only affects some models of Olympus and revised a EVF isn't prone to the problem?

My camera is out of warranty in the new year so I'll be a bit more careful in future. I hope the matter gets resolved for the OP as it does seem like a manufacturing/design issue not a misuse/abuse one to me.

Last edited:
Yeah its slightly ironic that a camera thats meant to be weather resistant has problems in bright sunlight ;)

I'm not knocking my EM5 MKII, for me its the perfect camera, small light and pretty amazing IQ, coupled with the rock steady IBIS I'm in no rush to replace it.

It could just be a new software feature that someone else hasn't done yet. But its a click baity to drum it up.

In short, no idea :p

It could just be a new software feature that someone else hasn't done yet. But its a click baity to drum it up.

In short, no idea :p

Well of course, those rumour sites are all about that bait! But, they do end up being correct more often than not. The guy says he's awaiting confirmation on what he's privy to already, there will be something to it. Another possible I thought of - multi-angle-swivel+tilting LCD! It's been kind of done by Sony a while back, but not the best implementation, it was pretty bulky and awkward.

Last edited:
Currently debating which tripod to get.

Hmmmm.
I've just upgraded my tripod as Manfrotto had some deals. I had the Velbon ultra Rexi L before with Giottos ballhead (which I've now adapted to fit the Manfrotto RC2 plate) and was very happy with it. It's really small and portable yet plenty sturdy enough for. a FF camera with large lens, plus extends high enough for someone like me that's 6'4". The only reason I bought a new one is that I'd always fancied a manfrotto carbon fibre one :oops: :$ I've now got the Manfrotto 190 CXPRO3 and XPRO ball head and they are really nice.

I should really look into selling the Velbon and Giottos combo o_O

I’ve had both the 055 and 190 , and at 6’1” I always found the 190 to small o.k to use at full stretch but wobbly when extended . These days I have a Chinese unbranded carbon fibre one , that’s nearly 7’ High fully extended and with a gimbal on top is ideal . Horses for courses though

I've just upgraded my tripod as Manfrotto had some deals. I had the Velbon ultra Rexi L before with Giottos ballhead (which I've now adapted to fit the Manfrotto RC2 plate) and was very happy with it. It's really small and portable yet plenty sturdy enough for. a FF camera with large lens, plus extends high enough for someone like me that's 6'4". The only reason I bought a new one is that I'd always fancied a manfrotto carbon fibre one :oops: :$ I've now got the Manfrotto 190 CXPRO3 and XPRO ball head and they are really nice.

I should really look into selling the Velbon and Giottos combo o_O
Spied one of these 190go Manfrotto carbon fibres for around £220 on eBay right now. It's got the xpro head. It looks awesome.

Was originally after a Manfrotto Befree Advanced carbon fibre, possibly the GT but I'm really really tempted by the one I've seen on eBay purely for the XPRO head. Looks like it gives a lot of flexibility/more allowance when the tripod stable point isn't quite where you want the camera.

Just need to measure my cabin bag to make sure it will go in as that's my limit. If it will then that will do!

I’ve had both the 055 and 190 , and at 6’1” I always found the 190 to small o.k to use at full stretch but wobbly when extended . These days I have a Chinese unbranded carbon fibre one , that’s nearly 7’ High fully extended and with a gimbal on top is ideal . Horses for courses though
I think the 055 is a bit too heavy for me for trekking over the Peak District which is why I looked at the 190. I would agree that the older version wasn't as stable as I'd have liked but the new one seems plenty stable enough for me, even with the centre column extended, although I don't tend to extend the centre column as the working height is good for me without (I use LV rather than viewfinder and find it more comfortable to work with when it's below eye level). I'd stay away from the 4 section 190 ie CXPRO4 though as the lower legs are too thin IMO and adds a bit of wobbliness.

I don't know if it's just my perception but I found the carbon ones studier than the aluminium ones?

I didn't buy any tripod in the end. Decided to save my money and put the bulk of my bonus in savings instead. I feel very much like a grown up, and ashamed because of it.

The weather is turning crap anyway. I won't be out much with the camera at all for a while. I can survive with my beaten up Velbon a while longer :)

I didn't buy any tripod in the end. Decided to save my money and put the bulk of my bonus in savings instead. I feel very much like a grown up, and ashamed because of it.

The weather is turning crap anyway. I won't be out much with the camera at all for a while. I can survive with my beaten up Velbon a while longer :)

This sort of sound financial sense has no place on this forum!

[emoji6]

I have an Amazon basics tripod, its actually pretty good, except its got an amazon basics legend on it :) . Keep meaning to buy something else but to be honest I don't really need it, this one does me just fine. Sometimes I think we just get caught up in the whole commercialisation of everything.

Whilst I agree Jakublu mine has been pretty destroyed by saltwater. Opening and closing it is a bit of a painful experience now.

The only tripod I have atm is a mini pixie Manfrotto - I've had some nice ones in the past but they mostly gathered dust. For someone like you who does a lot of land/seascapes though, it's worth investing in a nice carbon fibre one.

Back