Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Makes sense..................time to update as any such improvements can only be a benefit :) Just hope the process does what it says on the tin and re-loads my Custom settings etc!

Definitely get it! If you ever make use of the IBIS in any way, I wouldn't even hesitate

Managed to make it to the beach, but a delayed train and earlier sunset meant by the time I got there I had a chance for literally 1 "good" shot, and even then I am not 100% happy about the composition. Looking at it. I should have framed the rock more in the bottom right with the sun above it to get more of the ocean in, but hey. There is always Friday :)

JLE01165-3.jpg

Absolutely LOVE this Reverse ND, going to have a lot of fun with this. This image had the 10 stop as well stacked in there.

Last edited:
@mikew

As you have shown the 75-300mm mk2 is decent performer apparently even at the 300mm limit. Though the reviews I have read include suggesting it is softer above 220mm.............though improves if stopped down to f8

At the price and the current £85 cashback it does look like a snip of an interim measure for any possible future buys e.g. the 300mm f4 Pro or if affordable(???) when it is on sale the 140-400mm Pro

However, the cost of the Olympus lenshood for it is bad news.................what hood have you got. The Oly or a more budget level alternative???

TIA for your insight :)

@mikew

As you have shown the 75-300mm mk2 is decent performer apparently even at the 300mm limit. Though the reviews I have read include suggesting it is softer above 220mm.............though improves if stopped down to f8

At the price and the current £85 cashback it does look like a snip of an interim measure for any possible future buys e.g. the 300mm f4 Pro or if affordable(???) when it is on sale the 140-400mm Pro

However, the cost of the Olympus lenshood for it is bad news.................what hood have you got. The Oly or a more budget level alternative???

I got this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-LH-J...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You can get cheaper

@mikew

I would have to agree it is softish at the long end, i opted for it because of its pro-capture low compatibility, birding is not something i want it for in the long run although if i have to up the iso its slightly better than the 40-150 and tc cropped.

This is more what i want it for at the long end with the EM10.

PA090113 by electric.mike, on Flickr

PA090135 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Hi Mike

That is the one I had spotted in my search on the subject, so good to see confirmation of the usage. Incidentally, I have found that seller is only a few miles away from me...........so if I go ahead and they are OK about collection even better :)

I would have to agree it is softish at the long end, i opted for it because of its pro-capture low compatibility, birding is not something i want it for in the long run although if i have to up the iso its slightly better than the 40-150 and tc cropped.

This is more what i want it for at the long end with the EM10.

PA090113 by electric.mike, on Flickr

PA090135 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Yup, reach is not all about BiF but for me a bonus. The 600mm FoV equivalence is needed to, as much as is possible, fill the frame when photographing any more distant (less approachable wildlife subjects) e.g. smaller perched birds, deer, foxes, squirrels etc.

Some softness with carefull handling in PP can be mitigated for.....but surmise will have possibly accept a reduced keeper rate???

Hmmm! the cashback lasts a while longer :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Managed to make it to the beach, but a delayed train and earlier sunset meant by the time I got there I had a chance for literally 1 "good" shot, and even then I am not 100% happy about the composition. Looking at it. I should have framed the rock more in the bottom right with the sun above it to get more of the ocean in, but hey. There is always Friday :)

JLE01165-3.jpg

Absolutely LOVE this Reverse ND, going to have a lot of fun with this. This image had the 10 stop as well stacked in there.

I actually like that as it is, the alternative composition you mention would be a bit formulaic for me, I like this version and the white rock offsets the more central balance of the framing. Very nice.

Hi Steve.

I'm still experimenting to be honest. I'm not sure bursts work much better than 1 shot, just more pictures to delete :confused:, but worth trying.

So for birds that fly in more of a straight line I tend to try and get them in sight when they are far out, you can normally get an idea \ hope where they are going and then refocus when closer. I find the tracking does not work so after the first focus the next ones are unlikely to be good. I am wondering whether my cheaper Oly 40-150mm, in good light, focuses as well or better than the Panny 100-400mm, or if I just find it easier as its so light and therefore so easy to hold, resulting in better images. Nothing conclusive, just a gut feeling - the last 2 photos are with it and arguably the best. Am wondering whether to move my 100-400 on and go with Canon for BIF or swap it for a 100-300 which would probably do me, or what Mike uses a 40-150+TC.

I spent nearly 2 weeks trying to get house martins in focus (I was on a family holiday so it was not full-time!). I found the 100-400 seemed to lock on better sub 200mm, post that it seemed harder, so then had to crop = worse images. Might have been me, not sure. I suspect the background also have an affect. I did try all focus points active against a clear sky, but that did not really work well for me unless there were multiple birds in the sky, so single points or the smaller multi point selections worked best for me. I think they were just too fast.

Anyway, I would echo Mike, go with fast shutter speed, S-AF, single point or multi point AF (not everything), be prepared for disappointment and occasional delight!

Ultimately I think this is a great little camera but it's not designed for BIFs, you can get them but keeper rate is low (for me anyway) - an EM1mkII or G9 is what we need, or possibly an EM1, maybe G80.

Please note I'm still very much the amateur and there are far better photographers on here who can provide some better guidance - if I find something that works better for me I'll let you know!

Good luck!
Thanks for that Al, thats really useful and I appreciate the comprehensive reply.

Hello!

Sorry for the lack of content. Been a busy bee over here!

JLE51130-3.jpg

Picking up a Reverse ND Grad filter tomorrow which should make things really interesting. I'll head down to the beach Weds after work and share what I shoot!
Another excellent image, Jake. I don't mind the steps, if it had been me I would have included them too.

Wimbledon Common Parkrun today.

EM1II + 40 -150 f/2.8 using CAF + TR - decided to give the tracking function a workout and it performed better than expected; I was bracing for lots of OOF shots but it panned out to be the other way around:

20181013_092710_162 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Thanks - panning runners is pretty hit and miss because aside from moving in a straight line they also move up and down so when it works out it's great!
Yes tricky. Often in sport there is one bit of the body not moving, but they'd have to glide! I tried panning with a kitesurfer once - goodness knows why as he was a hotshot and I should have just been trying to capture great shots, but one worked. Taken with a Canon 7D but I'll sneak it in.... hope that's okay! (I'll leave it small) Obviously the panning went out the window when he jumped!!
150428164643-BC7_4705-PAGB.jpg

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a OMD 1 mkii in the next few weeks after doing lots of research, l have had problems with both my OMD 10 mk1 and OMD 10 mk2. Does the OMD 1 mkii have any known faults, just thought I would check before l bought. Read on the net about a common fault with a rear dial but this was in 2015 so presume it was on the mk 1.

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a OMD 1 mkii in the next few weeks after doing lots of research, l have had problems with both my OMD 10 mk1 and OMD 10 mk2. Does the OMD 1 mkii have any known faults, just thought I would check before l bought. Read on the net about a common fault with a rear dial but this was in 2015 so presume it was on the mk 1.
I'm not aware of any. I've only had mine since March.

What problems did you have with the OM10?

First camera failed after 3years just outside warranty period, second OMD a mkii failed after a couple of months the rear lcd was faulty, sent back to Olympus who replace together with a new power board, quick turn around of just over a week from sending out and getting the camera back, considering that it was repaired in the Olympus repair facility in Portugal. Been working fine since return. Just don’t want a repeat if I buy the OMD 1. Think l was just unlucky.

The rear dial was a common fault on the EM1 Mk1. EM1 MkII I haven't had any problems with as yet. I love Olympus but I have to admit that I have experienced more issues with build quality as compared to when I was using Canon only. Still, Olympus warranty repair is good and they often fix stuff for free even when they could have charged, e.g. when the hood of my 40 - 150 f/2.8 fell apart they fixed it for free even though it was out of warranty. If you buy make sure you get the 3 year warranty.

I want to travel even lighter tomorrow with my long lenses, so I've just taken the tripod rings off. I remembered getting a 'decoration' ring so have just been going through my boxes. I've found one for the 300mm but I can't seem to get it on easily and I'm a bit loathed to force it. Also, I was unable to find one for the 40-150mm.

Can anyone tell me, does the 40-150 ship with a ring or not? Is it something you have to buy? It's a minor thing, but the rings would mean I'm not running my hands over the little lugs all the time. Also, is there a knack to getting the ring onto the 300?

Any help appreciated.

I want to travel even lighter tomorrow with my long lenses, so I've just taken the tripod rings off. I remembered getting a 'decoration' ring so have just been going through my boxes. I've found one for the 300mm but I can't seem to get it on easily and I'm a bit loathed to force it. Also, I was unable to find one for the 40-150mm.

Can anyone tell me, does the 40-150 ship with a ring or not? Is it something you have to buy? It's a minor thing, but the rings would mean I'm not running my hands over the little lugs all the time. Also, is there a knack to getting the ring onto the 300?

Any help appreciated.

The 40-150 f/2.8 should come with a decorative ring. I took the tripod foot off mine and put the ring on to make it easier to hand-hold.

Crap weather is here. :(

And sunset is now too early before I get home to photograph.

Ah well, I think I made the most of it in the short time I could.

Crap weather is here. :(

And sunset is now too early before I get home to photograph.

Ah well, I think I made the most of it in the short time I could.
Theres always the sunrise :D

That is true!

One thing though, something that Thomas Heaton always says is "you've got to be in it to win it"

I thought about this on the way home. Tonight I will prepare my wet weather clothing and be ready to go after work tomorrow to the beach, no matter what. These dark clouds could give some nice moody tones.

What experience have people had with the Lee Seven5 or Nisi M1 filters? Thinking about picking one up.

The 40-150 f/2.8 should come with a decorative ring. I took the tripod foot off mine and put the ring on to make it easier to hand-hold.
Hmm that's what I thought, though I can find no mention of it on the Wex or Olympus site. I bought it with the extender so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll have to see if I put it somewhere when I first opened the box.

The 40-150 pro decoration ring is a DR-66, they’re about £20
Yes I thought it came with one as Maarten says, but it wasn't in my box and I bought the 300 at the same time, so wondered if I was confusing the two. I will have a hunt just in case!

Thanks both for your replies.

Last edited:
Hmm that's what I thought, though I can find no mention of it on the Wex or Olympus site. I bought it with the extender so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll have to see if I put it somewhere when I first opened the box. Thanks for your reply.

It doesn’t come with a ring, or didn’t when I bought mine. I just took the foot off anyway and have left it like that since virtually new, don’t really see the need for one.

It doesn’t come with a ring, or didn’t when I bought mine. I just took the foot off anyway and have left it like that since virtually new, don’t really see the need for one.
Yes I will be doing the same. It seems crazy to carry the extra weight when I'm not even taking a tripod with me. I can't seem to fit the 300 one on anyway, even though I have it. :confused:

40-150 f/2.8

Yes I will be doing the same. It seems crazy to carry the extra weight when I'm not even taking a tripod with me. I can't seem to fit the 300 one on anyway, even though I have it. :confused:

I definitely have the ring, but I just recalled I bought my lens used off eBay with the 1.4 TC included, so maybe it was part of an original extended package or the vendor bought it separately afterwards. In other words: I don't know if it was included in the original purchase or not. Apologies for any confusion.

I definitely have the ring, but I just recalled I bought my lens used off eBay with the 1.4 TC included, so maybe it was part of an original extended package or the vendor bought it separately afterwards. In other words: I don't know if it was included in the original purchase or not. Apologies for any confusion.
Thanks... I've just discovered on the Olympus site they do list the box contents, and it appears it is included with the 300 and not with the 40-150. It's not a big deal really but I might try and get the 300 one on and I won't bother hunting! :D Thanks for letting me know

JLE01165-3.jpg

Very nice, great light and colours.

Back