Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Madness probably. Shallow DoF and better low light performance ( but I don’t know if a d600/610 is any better than a d500 nowadays ) for automotive when needed but perhaps a quicker lens would suffice ?

FF will serve you better in low light for sure, but you lose the magnificent IBIS which can be of as much benefit for still subjects. It's really all about personal preference. I've eyed that Sigma 30mm 1.4 many times, but held back because I read some reviews that suggested it suffers bad CA wide open? It's the FL I'm usually in or around. I find with the 12-40 I'm always zooming in a bit, rarely using it at 12mm so have been pondering trading it for a couple of primes.

IBIS is good but I've found the VR in modern Nikon lenses to be excellent too, allowing shots down to 1/6s HH..

Anyway...I don't recall the CA being too bad when I had the sigma but it was almost 3 years ago so perhaps brain fade has happened.

I *think*'I'd prefer a 25mm as that extra 5mm makes quite a difference in terms of framing

:thinking:

IBIS is good but I've found the VR in modern Nikon lenses to be excellent too, allowing shots down to 1/6s HH..

Anyway...I don't recall the CA being too bad when I had the sigma but it was almost 3 years ago so perhaps brain fade has happened.

I *think*'I'd prefer a 25mm as that extra 5mm makes quite a difference in terms of framing

:thinking:

Depends a lot on the lenses you use and what you shoot in low light. If there are people or other moving subjects, full frame is a winner but otherwise....

I have a foot in both camps and one of the frustrations with FX is there aren’t many fast, stabilised lenses. Think tamron are about the only company flying that flag. With my current lens selection, there are times when my EM5ii with a fast lens can do a better job in low light than my d800 even with a 1.4 lens. Just because I can shoot it down to such crazy low shutter speeds.

I really like having both systems I must admit. They both have such specific advantages that I’d find it hard to have one and not the other.

D600 is a nice camera btw. The AF system is way better than internet folklore portrays if you stick to the centre spot in poor light or for fast moving stuff.

You do need to watch for oil though. I had two d600’s before eventually being replaced by a d610. Shame really but a good one will be a lovely camera and that sensor is a beauty.

The FF thing would need more of a financial input which isn’t always a good idea when dipping your toes in the water..

I don’t shoot people, I’m just thinking for automotive ( as a hobby ) so if people are moving in the background with slow SS, it’s fine.

Madness probably. Shallow DoF and better low light performance ( but I don’t know if a d600/610 is any better than a d500 nowadays ) for automotive when needed but perhaps a quicker lens would suffice ?
Low light marginally (and I mean marginally) better than the D500 and of course extra stop more shallow DOF. BUT a big step backwards in terms of build and AF over the D500.

It was a D600 (well, D610) that I had when I dipped my toe in m43 with an EM10. I never used the D610 again (but then I don't tend to shoot moving things).

I'm just back from a skiing holiday and have to say I was impressed with the Em1ii and 40-150 2.8 lens in very cold conditions - minus 16˚. Both my Garmin watch and a Go Pro failed to operate in the cold.
I could have done with some more practice - never tried these sorts of shots before and each time I either had to wait for the family to get the ski lift back up and come down again, or ski myself to try and keep warm. Here are a few samples - could have got better composition if I'd taken my skis off! Family got a bit fed up with me :rolleyes:

190110140524-BC103014.jpg190110140535-BC103019.jpg190110143109-BC103092.jpg

My Helios and p20 have been sold and a PL25 f1.4 sourced..now for a CPL

Funny you mention that, I've been threatening to buy such a thing for an age now, but I change lenses so often I'm picky about what filter size - I'd probably need a bunch of step up/down filter rings to boot. Actually have a few as is, must check see what matches up.

Let us know how you find the 25 1.4, almost bought one a while back but stuck with the 1.7 at the time

Strange question here, I want to get a Samyang 12mm F2, at the moment and for the foreseeable future I am using MFT and Sony A. If I get the lens in Sony A mount rather than MFT and use it on my E-M1 with the Sony to MFT adaptor I already have, do I lose out on anything quality or features wise? Because it is MF anyway I cannot see any downsides to this idea. Basically I buy one lens that will work on both systems. What if anything am I missing?

Strange question here, I want to get a Samyang 12mm F2, at the moment and for the foreseeable future I am using MFT and Sony A. If I get the lens in Sony A mount rather than MFT and use it on my E-M1 with the Sony to MFT adaptor I already have, do I lose out on anything quality or features wise? Because it is MF anyway I cannot see any downsides to this idea. Basically I buy one lens that will work on both systems. What if anything am I missing?

I don’t think you lose anything as from memory the samyang lenses are totally dumb.

Quality probably not but unless you have a "smart" adapter with electrical contacts you will need to use stop-down metering and your files will not have any EXIF data. So in that case you will need to focus manually and your will also need to set the aperture manually on the lens. Assuming the lens has a manual aperture dial, this is not a big issue if you can take your time setting up your shot.

Edit - as @Nawty says it looks like the Samyang doesn't have any electrical contacts anyway so using an adapter from Sony A to m4/3 would not result in any loss of functionality

Last edited:
Quality probably not but unless you have a "smart" adapter with electrical contacts you will need to use stop-down metering and your files will not have any EXIF data. So in that case you will need to focus manually and your will also need to set the aperture manually on the lens. Assuming the lens has a manual aperture dial, this is not a big issue if you can take your time setting up your shot.

Edit - as @Nawty says it looks like the Samyang doesn't have any electrical contacts anyway so using an adapter from Sony A to m4/3 would not result in any loss of functionality
Thank you Maarten, I am not worried about Exif data so it looks like buying A mount makes sense.

Last edited:
I don’t think you lose anything as from memory the samyang lenses are totally dumb.
Thank you Nawty I thought this was the case.

Better than the 15mm 1.7, fair bit bigger and heavier, well worth it though

High praise right there. Size and weight never bothers me until you get into tele range. It's a lot lighter and smaller than the 12-40 I'm using currently, almost half the weight in fact and I don't find the zoom heavy at all. Not when I think of the monstrous 24-70 Nikon I used to own

I hope this doesn’t come back to bite them, the whole point of m4/3 is small size imo.

I don't know why Olympus (and Panasonic) don't make more of the small sensor size in addition to the small form factor.
Being able to shoot wide open whilst still having a good depth of field is great for things like Street Photography. IBIS seems easier to implement on smaller sensors also (hi Canon).

If Olympus are going to continue with m4/3 they better get good at extolling the virtues of smaller sensors.
Olympus should be knocking out the park with Street Photographers, however Fuji seem to be dominating that market.

I don't know why Olympus (and Panasonic) don't make more of the small sensor size in addition to the small form factor.
Being able to shoot wide open whilst still having a good depth of field is great for things like Street Photography. IBIS seems easier to implement on smaller sensors also (hi Canon).

If Olympus are going to continue with m4/3 they better get good at extolling the virtues of smaller sensors.
Olympus should be knocking out the park with Street Photographers, however Fuji seem to be dominating that market.

There was rumours of 2 more Oly bodies in production, but that was months back and nadda since. I agree with you there, they should be really pushing the advantages of the smaller sensor, forget about competing with APSC let alone FF, stop trying to go big and bold - well, do that also but don't forget about non pro end, the street and travel enthusiasts who probably do make up the bulk of M43 user base

Any one used the Olympus RM CB-2 Remote on their OM-D? (trying to understand why its so expensive)

I use the Canon RS60-E3 instead - works just as well and much cheaper

Exactly what I use with my Fuji gear too.
Panasonic cameras now have a low battery use Bluetooth shutter release to use in conjunction with a phone or tablet.
Works very well, connects quickly first time, but I would still like the option of a wired remote

there's talk on 43 Rumours that along with the E-M1X and 150-400 lens that will be officially announced next week, apparently there might also be a major firmware update for the EM1 MK II to incorporate some of the new E-M1X's features (that can be supported by it's hardware). As yet it's unconfirmed, but would be great if both AF and Video get a really serious boost !

Anyone recommend a good book on the EM-1 MK1 please?

Have to agree with you, at least from a personal stand point. No idea from a business perspective.

The big bodies and lenses might grab the headlines but the reason I fell in love with the m4/3 system was the tiny little primes and small, but brilliantly capable bodies. It feels like all of the recent excitement around the system has been about much larger lenses and bodies which seems like dangerous territory to me but I hope I'm wrong. Still waiting for an E-M5iii to arrive....

Anyone recommend a good book on the EM-1 MK1 please?
Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Darrell Young.

I found the manual pretty comprehensive (make sure you download v4 so it includes the latest firmware update which added lots of functionality).

Edit: which is a point about the books, you need to make sure you get an updated version for v3 firmware.

I found the manual pretty comprehensive (make sure you download v4 so it includes the latest firmware update which added lots of functionality).

Edit: which is a point about the books, you need to make sure you get an updated version for v3 firmware.
I agree, the manual is actually pretty decent imo. A combo of this and using the inbuilt menu info tells you pretty much all you need to know.

Really like the second one Maarten, nice!

Do you get pictures of the deer also sometimes (as in the deer only?).

I'm usually only there for about 30 minutes as I need to bring my kids to other activities afterwards, so I haven't had that much opportunity to seek out deer and wildlife pictures. It's something I've put on my wishlist though for when the light improves and the deer are in a good location like today.

The second shot is the start of the run with approximately 1,500 runners homing in on me; it's an impressive sight but you definitely don't want to get caught out in the middle of the pack...

Hiiiii

Sorry for the disappearance...had some personal crap going on which took up...well pretty much the last 2 months.

Hope you're all doing well! What plans has everyone made (if any) for 2019? Photography wise.

For me:

- Feb, work are sending me to Seattle, I've got a day to myself so I'll get some city stuff along (if the weather is being nice) something of Mount Rainer
- March, going to Ireland, Mourne Mountain and Giants Causway
- May, Switzerland...Matterhorn and hiking, most specifically

Other ideas and plans so far are Glencoe/Scottish Highlands and hopefully the lake district. Otherwise we'll see, although thats plenty to be getting on with for now! :) - I need to do some other adult stuff like buy an apartment. So I'll see how the finances go.

Final bit of photo fun, I've started a Project 52 to keep myself focused and mind preoccupied, so the camera is with me pretty much 24/7 right now.

If anyone is interested, here is Week 1:
JLE61104.jpg

Week 2:
w2.jpg

Week 3:
w3.jpg

----

Blog/website is having a revamp, I plan on putting a Project 52 section there. I'll let those who are interested know about it once it's done.

Oh btw if anyone has an Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO they want to sell, let me know :) - time to invest in a proper telephoto if I am going hiking :)

Glad to be back and looking forward to picking the convo back up with you all!

Cheers
Jake

Last edited:
Hiiiii

Sorry for the disappearance...had some personal crap going on which took up...well pretty much the last 2 months.

Hope you're all doing well! What plans has everyone made (if any) for 2019? Photography wise.

For me:

- Feb, work are sending me to Seattle, I've got a day to myself so I'll get some city stuff along (if the weather is being nice) something of Mount Rainer
- March, going to Ireland, Mourne Mountain and Giants Causway
- May, Switzerland...Matterhorn and hiking, most specifically

Other ideas and plans so far are Glencoe/Scottish Highlands and hopefully the lake district. Otherwise we'll see, although thats plenty to be getting on with for now! :) - I need to do some other adult stuff like buy an apartment. So I'll see how the finances go.

Final bit of photo fun, I've started a Project 52 to keep myself focused and mind preoccupied, so the camera is with me pretty much 24/7 right now.

If anyone is interested, here is Week 1:
JLE61104.jpg

Week 2:
w2.jpg

Week 3:
w3.jpg

----

Blog/website is having a revamp, I plan on putting a Project 52 section there. I'll let those who are interested know about it once it's done.

Oh btw if anyone has an Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO they want to sell, let me know :) - time to invest in a proper telephoto if I am going hiking :)

Glad to be back and looking forward to picking the convo back up with you all!

Cheers
Jake
Jake - I'm not sure yet but think I'll be selling my olympus gear soon - em1 mk2 with grip, 12-40, 40-150 with t/c and a 14-150. I've still got to decide what to do but I'll be doing it in the next few days..

Hi everyone earlier I was asking for advice on the Panasonic thread about telephoto lenses and then I finished by asking for advice on Olympus bodies. I’ve just realised I would be better asking advice on this thread!
I bought my husband Ian from classifieds an Olympus omd 10 Mark ii body for Xmas. Do you think it’s worth changing it for a second hand Olympus omd-m1 Mark i, Olympus omd-m5 Mark ii or another Panasonic G80 like mine as weather proofing is better on them when he is shooting rugby? He will be pairing it with Olympus 40-150mm 2.8 lens.
Having just looked on Cameradecisions.com the Olympus omd-m5ii comes out tops when comparing them all against his Olympus omd-m10ii. Do any of you agree with this please? Before comparing my thoughts were that the Olympus omd-m1 mark i would have been the better choice but now I’m more confused! Thanks

Last edited:
Back