Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
wow many thanks for the kind comments folks , first off these are taken at a small N/R in north Wales about 200 yards/mtrs from the beach its in a little wood nestled behind the sand dunes . a few years ago it was run down and unkempt and a few of us seeing the potential set it up purely for bird photography , the sun is generally behind or to the right hand side of this hide and there are natural feeder branches at either end at around ten feet from the hide and nestled over the water . there has also been added another brand new hide donated by a member in memory of his wife who died this year thats set on a island in the pool and where I got the cormorant and kingfisher shots a while back . its not a terribly well known location on a back road so we dont get swarmed out with visitors I spent around 2-3 hours there yesterday and never saw another person .heres a blue tit from yesterday .. as well
my blue heaven by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Olympus have offered to get one printed for me (free of charge) from Old Timer Cameras. I'll bet its a photocopied A4 thing though!

I remember that name from decades ago. They must still be doing the same thing.

Manual arrived today. Quite a nicely produced A5 properly bound version with plastic fromt cover.. From OTC as Box Brownie suggested it would.

Happy bunny!:):)

another goldfinch from earlier in the week . the raw file on this was particularly noisy being shot into the light . in p/p I employed the double de.noise technique , after Lightroom processing and once in photoshop my first move was to de-noise the whole picture , I then layered the bird then applied de-noise once again to the background layer ,re-sized it ,then applied sharpening to the bird on its own .. I think its worked quiet well
look down by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I found this thread over at DP Review

The guy lives in Anchorage and had this lovely encounter with a Red Fox vixen in snowy conditions......uses the E-M1X and the 300mm f4 in the set posted

Enjoy
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63408153

Last edited:
I found this thread over at DP Review

The guy lives in Anchorage and had this lovely encounter with a Red Fox vixen in snowy conditions......uses the E-M1X and the 300mm f4 in the set posted

Enjoy
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63408153

.... Wow! Thankyou! I did enjoy that, both the photos and the story - Thanks Lawrence aka 'Box'.

They are very similar but his thread states he shot on the E-M1 rather than an E-M1X. He also mentions that he wishes he had taken his second E-M1 (with different lens mounted) along with him. Hmm... I have been trying to resist buying a second body and this does not help!

Last edited:
Last edited:
.... Wow! Thankyou! I did enjoy that, both the photos and the story - Thanks Lawrence aka 'Box'.

They are very similar but his thread states he shot on the E-M1 rather than an E-M1X. He also mentions that he wishes he had taken his second E-M1 (with different lens mounted) along with him. Hmm... I have been trying to resist buying a second body and this does not help!

Oooops! my bad, yes it was the EM1..............the original ;) Not the new wunderkid of the E-M1X !

Am I lucky, or what?

About 10 days ago, I posted here about my E-M1 that went wrong - it would shutdown immediately after starting up. I'd bought it used, private seller. Bummer! Some forumites here helped out with suggestions as to the likely cause (e.g. shutter assembly - perhaps £100 or so). Back to Olympus (Portugal) it went, via a pre-paid label. Meanwhile, I prepared for bad news...

And it just arrived here today, via DHL. I had been expecting an email with a repair cost. That didn't come, and the first I knew was the DHL text message with tracking link. And it's fixed: "image stabiliser repaired and calibrated". Plus, the repair engineer spotted that one strap lug was a teensy bit loose and fixed that, too. Firmware updated and complimentary lens cleaning cloth included.

All for free! Not sure how I can contribute to the Olympus Christmas Party kitty, but I think I should.

:ty: :olympus:

Am I lucky, or what?

About 10 days ago, I posted here about my E-M1 that went wrong - it would shutdown immediately after starting up. I'd bought it used, private seller. Bummer! Some forumites here helped out with suggestions as to the likely cause (e.g. shutter assembly - perhaps £100 or so). Back to Olympus (Portugal) it went, via a pre-paid label. Meanwhile, I prepared for bad news...

And it just arrived here today, via DHL. I had been expecting an email with a repair cost. That didn't come, and the first I knew was the DHL text message with tracking link. And it's fixed: "image stabiliser repaired and calibrated". Plus, the repair engineer spotted that one strap lug was a teensy bit loose and fixed that, too. Firmware updated and complimentary lens cleaning cloth included.

All for free! Not sure how I can contribute to the Olympus Christmas Party kitty, but I think I should.

Magic. Well done Olympus.

Am I lucky, or what?

That is excellent service, from what I've heard the polar opposite of Panasonic

Am I lucky, or what?

.... Excellent news! Another example of how good Olympus Customer Service is. A good repairer always checks out the whole camera and treats it as if it was their own.

I can feel your joy from here!!!

Last edited:
I,m in a bit of a quandary at the moment .i have the PL400mm f.6.3 which is super at close range and gives a useable 800mm .. but I also have the older four thirds 50-200SWD f2.8 plus a E.C1.4 tc which gives 283mm = 566 mm reach at f 5.6 .. and in my mind is superior I.q wise .
I am pondering selling the PL100-400 but unsure if it’s the right move ,someone has suggested using it at 300mm max and ditching auto iso to improve .i.q also been trying ETTR which works well but not with a f6.3 lens also used the tripod and gimbal today with a minor improvement .
Will do some more testing once the weather clears again

I,m in a bit of a quandary at the moment .i have the PL400mm f.6.3 which is super at close range and gives a useable 800mm .. but I also have the older four thirds 50-200SWD f2.8 plus a E.C1.4 tc which gives 283mm = 566 mm reach at f 5.6 .. and in my mind is superior I.q wise .
I am pondering selling the PL100-400 but unsure if it’s the right move ,someone has suggested using it at 300mm max and ditching auto iso to improve .i.q also been trying ETTR which works well but not with a f6.3 lens also used the tripod and gimbal today with a minor improvement .

You’re over thinking it Jeff. The extra focal length will always come in handy.

Just wondering how ditching auto iso will improve the IQ, even in auto ISO you still choose what ISO to use by controlling the aperture and shutter speed, auto ISO means you could capture that once in a lifetime shot when IQ is a secondary consideration.
Some folk are under the miscomprehension that setting auto ISO means everything is shot at high ISO, well its not.

Just wondering how ditching auto iso will improve the IQ, even in auto ISO you still choose what ISO to use by controlling the aperture and shutter speed, auto ISO means you could capture that once in a lifetime shot when IQ is a secondary consideration.
Some folk are under the miscomprehension that setting auto ISO means everything is shot at high ISO, well its not.
No idea really mike .. just following suggestions from others .. in general I’m very happy with results to date but always looking to improve things and hampered by lack of funds ... a 300mm f4 plus t.c would be nice but out of my price range ... so have to figure out a work round in our crappy weather

No idea really mike .. just following suggestions from others .. in general I’m very happy with results to date but always looking to improve things and hampered by lack of funds ... a 300mm f4 plus t.c would be nice but out of my price range ... so have to figure out a work round in our crappy weather

Scenario for you

Feeding station, you are using 1/500th wide open at ISO 400, getting great results, a bird of prey comes in to grab a small bird and fly off, you need to up the shutter speed, ok one quick turn on the shutter speed dial gives you 1/1600th but now you are underexposing, so you adjust the ISO to compensate, you now have two adjustments to make, in auto ISO the camera would make the same ISO adjustment in auto ISO as you have just made, most likley in less time.

Jeff, I have both the amazing Olympus 300mm F4 Pro and the Panasonic Leica 100-400 F4-6.3, and as brilliant as the 300mm is, for shear convenience of having a zoom, you can't beat the 100-400. So long as you have half decent light that can support the F6.3 aperture at the long end, I've found IQ doesn't lag too far behind the 300mm prime.

If you can afford it, keep it is my view.

Jeff, I have both the amazing Olympus 300mm F4 Pro and the Panasonic Leica 100-400 F4-6.3, and as brilliant as the 300mm is, for shear convenience of having a zoom, you can't beat the 100-400. So long as you have half decent light that can support the F6.3 aperture at the long end, I've found IQ doesn't lag too far behind the 300mm prime.

That’s what I needed to hear Andrew thanks ,having both you can obviously overcome the lack of decent light. I probably have the best available on my budget for now .think I will have to find another user to let me try the 300 in practise ..one thing I have found though that has improved things is I have now switched off my lens I.s and just using ibis it seems far better

.... I agree with Andrew - It's always all about the light.

Of the two lenses mentioned I only have the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro but my Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro sometimes has the zoom advantage but it depends on the target distance. I often mount a 1.4x MC-14 on one of the lenses and have even considered buying a second MC-14 (and a second body, but that's a different subject).

Us wildlife photographers all want the forthcoming Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x F/4.5 Pro so we can get the best of both worlds! I had thought before I bought my 300mm that I would always sell it to help fund a 150-400mm+1.25x but the 300mm is so convenient to carry so I reckon I'll be keeping it.

think I will have to find another user to let me try the 300 in practise ..one thing I have found though that has improved things is I have now switched off my lens I.s and just using ibis it seems far better

.... Hey Jeff, you and I have always wanted to meet up (even though I might regret getting barked at and the p*** taken!) so how about me visiting you as I know it's more difficult for you to visit me. I might need a settee to sleep on to make the trip worthwhile but you could have a serious workout on my Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro with and without the 1.4x.

How about it big boy? I am away for a week mid January in Greece photographing wild Pelicans etc.

Re lens IS, I guess that it's only the Oly M1 series bodies which have now combined IS+IBIS to such great results - Assuming this applies to the E-M1 as well as the E-M1X wunderkid.

you get some very nice shots with your setup Jeff but f6.3 needs good light for BIF i use 2 systems Sony A7R4 200/600 F6.3 but often i turn to my EM1X 300 f4 for the last hour of daylight f4 does make a big difference between staying or going home early, Like Robin i too am waiting for the 150/400 it should be a game changer for birding.
Rob.

sounds like a plan robin , we do have double blow up air beds . and I can use your fuel to visit places to LOL there is quite a lot to see up here is only a hours drive to snowdonia , or you can be in the clwydian range in 15 minutes . .sort something out after chrimbo ..

coming back to the lenses the Panasonic has lens i.s but if its switched on and camera is set to lens priority you can't use the body i.b.i.s ..so switching it off is a option there's not much difference but it save faffing about

Last edited:
coming back to the lenses the Panasonic has lens i.s but if its switched on and camera is set to lens priority you can't use the body i.b.i.s ..so switching it off is a option there's not much difference but it save faffing about

.... I think I read much earlier in this thread that only Olympus IS lenses could combine with an Olympus body's IBIS.

I am away for a week mid January in Greece photographing wild Pelicans etc.

Robin, lake Kerkini by any chance ? Was there a couple of years ago, and it was swarming with Pelicans, but also Cormorants, Spoonbills, Grebes, buzzards and vultures.

This was an excursion we booked whilst we were out there, so my longest lens was the 12-100 (hardly enough for serious birding), but it was a most enjoyable experience and a very beautiful part of Greece.

I am away for a week mid January in Greece photographing wild Pelicans etc.

Robin, lake Kerkini by any chance ? Was there a couple of years ago, and it was swarming with Pelicans, but also Cormorants, Spoonbills, Grebes, buzzards and vultures.

This was an excursion we booked whilst we were out there, so my longest lens was the 12-100 (hardly enough for serious birding), but it was a most enjoyable experience and a very beautiful part of Greece.

Having seen what Petr Bambousek photographed there I was smitten by what a wonderful place it must be........................as for lens choices do have a look at his gallery here and the EXIF showing what lenses he used ;)
https://500px.com/sulasulacom/galleries/kerkini-pelicans

@RedRobin I look forward to seeing what you make of it :)

PS If you email him (via his website) I hope he would give you some insights that might aid you in your visit???

Last edited:

.... Yes, Lake Kerkini. I am half Greek and my family (now all passed on) had homes there and so my first time in Greece for over 25 years is going to be emotional. I actually feel more Greek than English.

What time of year were you there?

I will have my Olympus 300mm, 40-150mm, MC-14, 12-40mm, all Pro lenses plus E-M1X and am seriously considering getting a second M1X to avoid swopping lenses and missing shots and also for open body/lens protection from splashes and debris etc.

Having seen what Petr Bambousek photographed there I was smitten by what a wonderful place it must be........................as for lens choices do have a look at his gallery here and the EXIF showing what lenses he used ;)
https://500px.com/sulasulacom/galleries/kerkini-pelicans

.... O M G !!! He is already a hero photographer - I love his work! That link you posted is extremely helpful and inspiring (but also almost intimidating!).

@RedRobin I look forward to seeing what you make of it :)

PS If you email him (via his website) I hope he would give you some insights that might aid you in your visit???

.... No pressure on what I can do then! His pictures at Lake Kerkini are exceptional.

I will be with professional Guy Edwardes whose work I also admire and who has been there many times. I also know his guide Emil and have been with them to Bulgaria twice this year (with my Canon system, pre Olympus).

Just pulled the trigger...….100-400 Pana Leica on its way for me and a 75-300 mkII for the wife.
Now I didn't get on with the 100-400 for Fuji, lets hope the PL is better than Fuji's attempt at one.

Just pulled the trigger...….100-400 Pana Leica on its way for me and a 75-300 mkII for the wife.
Now I didn't get on with the 100-400 for Fuji, lets hope the PL is better than Fuji's attempt at one.
I rate the 100-400mm, I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. Just remember to unlock the zoom ring (it still moves when locked but is very stiff)

Back