Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Any news on your camera yet Jeff ? I've only had to use Olympus service once before (on my own MK II about 3 years ago when my rear screen went blank 2 months into ownership, and from shipping to getting it back took 5 working days. Alas, under OM digital, I think things have taken a turn for the worse.
As post above . Same lame Brexit excuse .. a woman I’m in touch with sent about a week before mine had hers declared lost and Olympus sent her a brand new one arrived today 19 hrs from Portugal to her house . I will e.mail again in the morning..
I think it’s more to do with cycleon there shipping agents delaying the returns seem like a continental version of myhermes

update just checked tracking again 6.30pm and there is something that says V.A.R hub receipt. no idea what that is will check again in morning

Last edited:
Hi all

Re: David Thorpe
His is not a name that I immediately recall, though surmise I must have come across him in my mFT journey.... but I see that he has been referenced a few times hereabouts at TP........................so thought I would post what I have noted over at DP Review that he is unfortunately very ill :(

There is on that that thread a link to this announcement by David Thorpe himself
View: https://youtu.be/vXRABA_eUUA
Oh that is sad. I have watched a lot of his videos. I remember his Pen F video vividly and his comment on the box being worthy of containing diamonds encrusted knickers :(

According to 43 Rumors, a Version 3.0 update is coming to the EM1X in June this year. Normally with Olympus the full new number firmware revision indicates a major update, where as the sub versions (i.e. 2.1) are incremental and usually just bug fixes. No mention on what's coming, but I would guess improvements to AF and perhaps the starry sky option form the MK III at least ?
Would like to see a further improvement to

1. Bird tracking
2. AF performance
3. CAF+TR
4. Starry skies would be a useful addition

Will be interesting to see what updates are forthcoming as the potential replacement EM1X is apparently due in 2022 I have recently bought the EM1X and have really enjoyed the additions over my EM Mark 2 which is now relegated as my landscape/back up camera Maybe is the last big update before the replacement in 2022

Be nice to see some updates to the EM1 MK III as well. It's generally been thought that the newer TruePic IX processor in the MK III has about the same (or similar) HP as the EM1X's dual TruePic VIII processors, (hence the reason why the MK III can do the HHHR where as MK II can't), so would be nice if the Bird Tracking AF can migrate to the MK III as well.

Never had a problem tracking birds even with the mkii ,think it’s more a case of practice and technique

couple of gull shots from last month as I practised my b.i.f techniques again this time with tracking them as the flew in front of obstructions ,worked well to my mind, probably need a slightly faster shutter speed though
castle keep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

castle keep-er by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
couple of gull shots from last month as I practised my b.i.f techniques again this time with tracking them as the flew in front of obstructions ,worked well to my mind, probably need a slightly faster shutter speed though
castle keep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

castle keep-er by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I like those.
You have probably shared the info before on this thread but I am not sure that i could find it.
Would you mind setting out your settings for BIF and for stationary birds please? Or if you know the post no. can you quote it?
Thank you

I like those.
You have probably shared the info before on this thread but I am not sure that i could find it.
Would you mind setting out your settings for BIF and for stationary birds please? Or if you know the post no. can you quote it?
Thank you
If you click on the pic it will take you to Flickr all exif data is there

in the way of using it settings ,I tend to use the smallest single focus point 90% of the time sometimes switching to multi point if its a single bird in a clear blue sky .A/V mode and ensure shutter speed is sufficient ( to slow in shots above ) I think most of us have probably gone rusty over lockdown . I also keep my EVF live with screen turned in to ensure no blackout between shots , manual shutter set on high burst of between 13 -15 fps the rest of it is practice practise and keep on practicing ,no use seeing that once in a lifetime shot and missing it .
there are as you probably realise lots more ways to do things but again with each change practice the same settings above are applied to my stationary birds to ,SAF is fine but most birds move .twitch turn etc so I use CAF

Hi all

Re: David Thorpe
His is not a name that I immediately recall, though surmise I must have come across him in my mFT journey.... but I see that he has been referenced a few times hereabouts at TP........................so thought I would post what I have noted over at DP Review that he is unfortunately very ill :(

There is on that that thread a link to this announcement by David Thorpe himself
View: https://youtu.be/vXRABA_eUUA
Always seems to happen to the best. A kind, helpful and knowledgeable man. Very sad news.

Totally frustrated ,peed off ,fed up about a month ago I sent my omd1-mkii in to have the grip fixed .. as far as I can tell it’s still at the carriers in the u.k .despite lots of e.mails by the Olympus team there is no movement at all …. In frustration last week I ordered a mkiii to replace it from.HDEW , should have been here tomorrow but guess what that’s on hold to .. going round in circles ..annoyed doesn’t even come near it grrrrrrrr

Totally frustrated ,peed off ,fed up about a month ago I sent my omd1-mkii in to have the grip fixed .. as far as I can tell it’s still at the carriers in the u.k .despite lots of e.mails by the Olympus team there is no movement at all …. In frustration last week I ordered a mkiii to replace it from.HDEW , should have been here tomorrow but guess what that’s on hold to .. going round in circles ..annoyed doesn’t even come near it grrrrrrrr
Man that sucks big time, what is the reason for the delay Jeff and have Olympus offered any idea of when this will get resolved?

Man that sucks big time, what is the reason for the delay Jeff and have Olympus offered any idea of when this will get resolved?
To be fair olympus themselves have been more than helpful ,the problem lies with there forwarding agents cycleon who I can only liken to the continental version of myhermes ,they keep quoting customs and Brexit . As far as I’m aware my camera posted on the 20/04/21 is still in a depot in the u.k.. other users have e.mailed me with tales of lost/damaged/ stolen cameras via cycleon …. And I now know of at least two people that have had brand new units sent by Olympus as replacements . I will check again in a bit to see if there’s any movement on tracking… one lady I’m in contact with had hers declared lost and they sent her a brand new one out 19 hours door to door from Portugal by DHL

Last edited:
To be fair olympus themselves have been more than helpful ,the problem lies with there forwarding agents cycleon who I can only liken to the continental version of myhermes ,they keep quoting customs and Brexit . As far as I’m aware my camera posted on the 20/04/21 is still in a depot in the u.k.. other users have e.mailed me with tales of lost/damaged/ stolen cameras via cycleon …. And I now know of at least two people that have had brand new units sent by Olympus as replacements . I will check again in a bit to see if there’s any movement on tracking… one lady I’m in contact with had hers declared lost and they sent her a brand new one out 19 hours door to door from Portugal by DHL

A new camera really would be a result, and well worth the wait...... Here's hoping.......

A new camera really would be a result, and well worth the wait...... Here's hoping.......
Just checked tracking no movement that I can see ,cycleon playing silly buggers yet again ,just fired off another e.mail to Olympus .. on the bright side I’m not well at the moment so doubt I could get out if I wanted to

update although the girl tells me they are expecting it this week? ? ? they have asked for proof of purchase and delivery which is now sent .. we shall see !

update although the girl tells me they are expecting it this week? ? ? they have asked for proof of purchase and delivery which is now sent .. we shall see !
Sounds like there might be some movement Jeff, hope you get it back soon and also feel better too.

Sounds like there might be some movement Jeff, hope you get it back soon and also feel better too.
Yep got a slight infection ,now got anti.biotics

Bloody hope so it’s like a double whammy ,the shivers and shakes have now gone I even had a omelet tonight first time meal since Saturday .now all I need is a camera to turn up

Double whammy day , my new mkiii arrived today at around 12 pm loving it quiet a few advancements on it , Then bugger me just got it out of the box and the mkii turned up as well back from Portugal in less than a day ..
Spent the afternoon setting both up ..happy chappy after a soul destroying month

To be fair it’s not Olympus fault with the returns the service is as good as ever it’s just the forwarding company needs a kick up the backside

Double whammy day , my new mkiii arrived today at around 12 pm loving it quiet a few advancements on it , Then bugger me just got it out of the box and the mkii turned up as well back from Portugal in less than a day ..
Spent the afternoon setting both up ..happy chappy after a soul destroying month

To be fair it’s not Olympus fault with the returns the service is as good as ever it’s just the forwarding company needs a kick up the backside

Great news Jeff.

I gave my EM-5 ii to my daughter a few months ago because I wasn't using it much but I have been missing it so what to do? Buy a iii of course :) only had it a few days but pretty impressed, ISO 1600 in very challenging lighting -

View attachment 317346

I like my E-M5iii but I am slightly disappointed by the smaller EVF.

Edit
I compared 5ii to the 5iii side by side to find the EVF was smaller.

Last edited:
Not the best , but a pretty bird.
Taken with the em-1 ii, 12-40mm pro lens combo, but quite a distance away so heavily cropped.
107B9497-1DEC-4A09-8CBB-03D0ACD41515.jpeg

Great news Geoff,

I went from the MK1 to the MK II (kept the longest) and now a MKIII. whist image quality is pretty much on a par with the MKII, there are some really nice features that I'm sure you will appreciate, most especially the AF joystick, and being able to power it via USB whilst switched on, were two of the biggest things for me, although the hand held high res and been useful a few times and the added 4th user setting has been quite handy also. For me, about the only negative feature was the movement of the Menu button, whilst took me ages to get the muscle memory right to find it after the MK II

Last edited:
yep cheers Andrew ,finding my way round it while waiting on the manual to arrive . unfortunately im still a bit under the weather so limiting my time out , last tablet tonight then hopefully ill be o.k

Hope you feel better soon.

To be honest I've not shot much lately also, mainly due to working and the crap weather. Did managed a few of this raptor ripping poor pigeon to pieces a few weeks ago with the MKIII. I'd posted a few weeks ago on the Nikon Z forum (as I'd grabbed some images with my Z7 also), but never did post any from the EM1 MK III and the 300mm F4

TBH, I really can't see much difference from the Z7 to the MK III images, probably mainly because I've had to crop more on the Z7 as my longest lens is 300mm (300mm F4)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back