Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I was looking at some image taken in a camera shop with the E-M5II (40mp) compared to a Canon 5DIII both Jpeg and Oly images had so much more fine detail.

They did not have E-M5II for me to look at though.

Looks like there's some great value to be had buying from europe right now with the pound so strong against the euro. I just snagged the 40-150 pro with x1.4 for around £1154 delivered from amazon.it which will come covered under Oly's standard EU warranty. Always worth checking the .de .fr .it and .es sites to see if they're cheaper than .co.uk, and they even let me use my uk log-in so it even remembered by card details and address. This along with google translate makes it easy peasy to save some money.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you get yourself a Halifax Clarity credit card then you pay zero fees/charges/loadings for buying directly in Euros, plus you'll get an almost perfect exchange rate.

Last edited:
Thats a nice price.

Apparently cheapest in Italy at the moment (link - £1169)

Damn... :D

Wish I wanted one...

Just updating the firmware in my EM1 now, 7 minutes to go ( we have a VERY slow "rural" internet connection) Has anyone noticed any other improvements apart from the faster CAF?
Allan

Or in Italy Here for £1100

Amazon give you a superb no-quibble returns policy though, which is why I tend to prefer them even if it costs a few quid more.

Of course, if I wanted the cheapest possible I'd look at a grey import, but I personally value the warranty and service quite a bit these days. Having seen so many new cameras etc come out with design and QC problems it's just not worth it in my opinion.

Amazon give you a superb no-quibble returns policy though, which is why I tend to prefer them even if it costs a few quid more.

Of course, if I wanted the cheapest possible I'd look at a grey import, but I personally value the warranty and service quite a bit these days. Having seen so many new cameras etc come out with design and QC problems it's just not worth it in my opinion.

If it's from Italy amazom,wouldn't you be cover the same ?,as I buy a few blu rays from different amazom around the world and they come with the same return policy as buying UK :)

Praise be to Olympus......i made it through today without giving into GAS temptation. There was a sony a7 with kit lens that i almost went for on ebay today.It sold for £680( what a bargain) and i think if i didnt love my EM5 so much i would have taken a punt on it.
So glad to have found a camera and system i finally think i am going to stick with.

Of course the GAS addiction still says to me....ooh could have had that a7 and a nice 55mm f1.8 and covered it by selling all my m4/3 gear.......but i did it!!!! I resisted...:)

David in some ways the original E-M5 (and all smaller brothers) outperform the E-M1 as they have different sensors.
For very long exposures the E-M1 isn't the best.

It's not as bad some make out ;)
It's definitely as good, if not better than my old Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 :D

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/867-zeiss2470f4oss

Bears out what I've seen sample wise even by champions of the lens.
I'm disappointed because I was contemplating adding the A7 MKII to my kit and the 24-70 would have been my walk around.
At that kind of money it should be ticking more boxes than build quality.
Shame really :(

Jeeez you guys are killing me!

I think once i get over the 6 month hurdle i will be GAS free for life. The only other camera i had for 6 months was a sony A55....still no idea why i sold that.......so many cameras so many excuses to remember why i swapped....lol

Jeeez you guys are killing me!

I think once i get over the 6 month hurdle i will be GAS free for life. The only other camera i had for 6 months was a sony A55....still no idea why i sold that.......so many cameras so many excuses to remember why i swapped....lol

A couple of glasses of red should do the trick ;):D

Praise be to Olympus......i made it through today without giving into GAS temptation. There was a sony a7 with kit lens that i almost went for on ebay today.It sold for £680( what a bargain) and i think if i didnt love my EM5 so much i would have taken a punt on it.
So glad to have found a camera and system i finally think i am going to stick with.

Of course the GAS addiction still says to me....ooh could have had that a7 and a nice 55mm f1.8 and covered it by selling all my m4/3 gear.......but i did it!!!! I resisted...:)
what about a nice 12-40f2.8.....

Yes, but I can't justify one at the moment.......

You got a bargain there :eek:

So in anticipation of my 12-40 arriving i thought i would check my sensor for dirt. I havent cleaned it since getting it. In fact i had not taken any white wall or blue sky shots to check. I was suprised both good and bad. On the good side i could only really see a couple of small dust spots upwards of f12. But to my horror on the left hand side of the sensor from f6 upwards is what looks like a long almost straight smudge line from virtually top to bottom. It doesnt even look like dirt...more like a long streak made with an oily marker. I have no idea what this it but its not been caused by me becuase i have never touchecd the sensor. I think i will need to contact olympus as it surely must be a manufacturing issue. Size wise imagine a 32" tv and then get a bingo marker and draw a line from top to bottom!--ok maybe I went a bit overboard with my description-but its pretty bad.
smudge1 by jakepark333, on Flickr

Last edited:
It doesnt even look like dirt...more like a long streak made with an oily marker. smudge1 by jakepark333, on Flickr

Holy smoke batman, that looks terrible :eek:

Are you sure you weren't drooling over your new 12-40 and some landed on the sensor ;)

Edit: seriously though if you shine a torch in can you see any visible streaks?

Last edited:
I just looked at the sensor reflected in a magnifying mirror and i can see the streak line.

Thats one awful smudge! Hope its easy to sort.

On a side note I just saw in another thread that after all that Rookies got a Nikon :D

Thats one awful smudge! Hope its easy to sort.

On a side note I just saw in another thread that after all that Rookies got a Nikon :D
He will be back here next week just you watch :D

And that sensor smudge :eek: Good luck with that hopefully Olympus will get it all sorted, is in still in warranty ?

So in anticipation of my 12-40 arriving i thought i would check my sensor for dirt. I havent cleaned it since getting it. In fact i had not taken any white wall or blue sky shots to check. I was suprised both good and bad. On the good side i could only really see a couple of small dust spots upwards of f12. But to my horror on the left hand side of the sensor from f6 upwards is what looks like a long almost straight smudge line from virtually top to bottom. It doesnt even look like dirt...more like a long streak made with an oily marker. I have no idea what this it but its not been caused by me becuase i have never touchecd the sensor. I think i will need to contact olympus as it surely must be a manufacturing issue. Size wise imagine a 32" tv and then get a bingo marker and draw a line from top to bottom!--ok maybe I went a bit overboard with my description-but its pretty bad.

Have a look at this thread,wondering if it's the same thing.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/olympus-om-d-em10-for-sale.572009/#post-6691029

Last edited:
The mark looks very similar to the one in that thread but in a different direction. I wonder if it was caused when assembling the camera. Mine is only 3 months old so i have contacted Olympus. Hopefully they should arrange collection and fix it within a week. Well other brands manage this so lets see.......hehe.

Hope you get that sorted.

Back