Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The mark looks very similar to the one in that thread but in a different direction. I wonder if it was caused when assembling the camera. Mine is only 3 months old so i have contacted Olympus. Hopefully they should arrange collection and fix it within a week. Well other brands manage this so lets see.......hehe.

Yep they look much the same,maybe their were some bad cameras send out with faulty sensor :(

Hmm just looking at the pre-order offer on the EM5 MkII free messenger bag and 5 1/2 year warranty (odd amount !? ) im tempted sell one of my Canon lenses to give me that little extra i need to get the offer in time.
Id not bothered so much usually but that and fact i can get some discount makes it all very tempting to get :D

Ah damn id still struggle to get it if i did sell a lens.. don't fancy getting rid of 2 lenses only to want buy them back 2 week later :eek: still might be a okay deal for someone the promotion.

Last edited:
To remove the well-known special smudge-line you actually need to LICK YOUR SENSOR.
Insert tongue, lick upwards seven times.

You will then have a special bond with your camera. It increases C-AF BIF hitrate, or so I've heard.

Had a fail. Brought the e-m10 to Sofia with me. Must've accidentally knocked the switch and turned it on pre take off...land in Sofia and no battery life.

I have a spare battery at home but didn't think I'd need it. D'oh.

Nope :( oh well. I'm working anyway but would've been a good opportunity

It'll teach me to be more careful / more prepared. And I was going to bring the xf1 instead...Sod's law

When I'm out and about, I always use 2 batteries every time. One to run the camera. And the other for "massive" peace of mind.

Last edited:
Olympus gonna clean or replace my sensor. Will send it off on monday after i have had a play with my new 12-40.
Must not buy another body while its away.....lol

Just got my E-M1 today, ive got the 12-40, 40-150 (not the pro!) and panny 100-300mm but after a recommendation for a fast tele lens. The 50-200 4/3 seems to get good reviews but are there any others?

I was looking for longer than that really, i see the 300mm f4 is due out this year but dread to think the price of that!

I was looking for longer than that really, i see the 300mm f4 is due out this year but dread to think the price of that!

You can always add the 4/3rds EC-14 teleconveter to a 50-200 SWD, it's a perfect combo. Gives 283 mm FL.
Having said that the new MC-14 before the MMF converter would also do the job.

I'd love to know about the 55-200 too, but now you've mentioned the Pany 2.8 that is quite interesting.

My major concern about the 40-140 2.8 is the size\weight - I moved to m43 to get away from big lenses and while I grant you its smaller and lighter than the full frame offerings it is undeniably big and heavy.

Using whats becoming one of my favourite sites I thought I'd compare (link) and the 35-100 keeps for me the ideal of the m43 format - looking deeper I wish it had the close range that the 40-150 has for macro style shooting which is something I would want, but that size - I just have difficulty getting over that.

Has anyone had real life handling of both and what were their findings, especially given the price difference too.

I saw one out in the wild and it does look big but thats due to the hood.
I know what you mean about switching for size so why get big lenses. But the size of the m4/3 pro lenses are still tiny compared to crop or FF.

I totally agree, in a like for like they are so much smaller - but when the reason for swapping from FF is to reduce size, or in my case I had wrist\backache after a day out then it doesn't really matter what its compared to - its either too heavy or not.

I totally agree, in a like for like they are so much smaller - but when the reason for swapping from FF is to reduce size, or in my case I had wrist\backache after a day out then it doesn't really matter what its compared to - its either too heavy or not.
Pentax Q? Hehe

I'd love to know about the 55-200 too, but now you've mentioned the Pany 2.8 that is quite interesting.

My major concern about the 40-140 2.8 is the size\weight - I moved to m43 to get away from big lenses and while I grant you its smaller and lighter than the full frame offerings it is undeniably big and heavy.

Using whats becoming one of my favourite sites I thought I'd compare (link) and the 35-100 keeps for me the ideal of the m43 format - looking deeper I wish it had the close range that the 40-150 has for macro style shooting which is something I would want, but that size - I just have difficulty getting over that.

Has anyone had real life handling of both and what were their findings, especially given the price difference too.

I've had both John, I should rephrase that.... I had the 35-100 f/2.8 and sold it on when I got the 40-150 f/2.8.
Both lenses offer excellent optical quality, both are splash and dust proof, both focus internally.
The 35-100 is smaller and lighter but looses a fair bit in terms of reach and close up ability. And the big plus is the MC-14 works extremely well with Oly Pro lens (as you would expect).
To my eye a 40-150 shades the 35-100 in image quality and build.
Size of the 40-150, yes it's bigger and heavier but as Photopaque says the hood gives the impression of much more bulk than there is.
I will quite happily walk about with mine on the E-M1 on trek, much lighter and smaller than the Pentax gear I had a few years back.

Here's one from lunchtime today with the 40-150 Pro and the MC-14 @ 210 mm

Last edited:
Huw - that is a great shot and I'd be drawn to the close up ability as I could see myself using it for dragonflies.

One day I'll no doubt cave in but it will have to be when they're popping up second hand - who knows that limbo I hat e so much when selling might work to my favour for once :D

Shame the TC doesn't play well with others though.

Last edited:

I have used them both 55-200 & the 35-100 F2.8,still got the 35-100 great little lens thats easy to use and not much weight,the 55-200 i used to use on the Olympus DSLR it a lot bigger and heavier (n)

The 40-150 Pro is smaller than the 50-200 SWD f/2.8-3.5, a superb lens that I've also had the pleasure of owning/using with my now long gone Oly D-SLR gear.

Regarding weight of lenses, when I first bought the 40-150 I actually thought I been conned in some way, at first I thought that the box must be empty and then after I opened it that the lens must just be a plastic display model, I still find it hard to get me head around how light these things actually are, my Fuji 18-135 must weigh as much as my 14-42, 40-150 and 75-300 combined, I might slightly exaggerate there but I'll check later.

The 40-150 Pro is smaller than the 50-200 SWD f/2.8-3.5, a superb lens that I've also had the pleasure of owning/using with my now long gone Oly D-SLR gear.
I too have had both and agree about the size and weight.
As said before, with the lens hood retracted the 40-150 pro isn't too big at all. It does weigh lots more than the 40-150R but is in a different league, and focuses way faster than my 50-200 ever did.
I had to sell my 7-14, 35mm macro and 40-150R to help cover the cost of the pro but it is so worth it.

True. And to top a good week, the electrician has just put his foot straight through the ceiling.

Is it beer o'clock yet ?

Back