Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks Chris. I see you have shot some aviation with the OMD which is one thing I would like to use it for. How did you find it for this use? Do you shoot any sports with it at all?

Not shot any sports but I'm intending to use it for motorsport in a few weeks and I know others who have used it for motorsport.

I've found it fine in use, had a few issues before I upgraded the firm ware but fine now, been meaning to get back to the airport this weekend, might go tomorrow.

OK, so some questions;

I have just finished a week long photo shoot using my K7 and 17-50mm Tamron lens. Having had a look at a lot of the shots my settings (because of the light) were ISO between 200 to 1600 f5.6 to f2.8 focal length from 17 to 50mm.

I did not take a lot of shots a f2.8, and on closer inspection I think that by upping the ISO I could have used f3.5.

The above photo shoot is a regular occurrence, so I need to think about those settings.

A lot of the shots were taken at ISO200 so am I right in thinking that the OMD + 12-50mm lens would more suitable than the OMD + 14-42mm lens.

A bit of a ramble, but as a lot I my shots are low/ difficult light and being retired I want to make the best choice.

I do know about the 12-35mm f2.8 lens, but with a limited budget that is a non starter at the moment.

Decided on the 40-150mm Oly in the end. Managed to get a unboxed one from SRS. Not sure about the build quality, but the optics seems fine.

I have just tried updating the firmware to 1.2. The message is - "The update service to Ver. 1.2 was temporarily discontinued." When I plug the camera in there is no new version available on the camera updater.

I plugged the camera in with my Panny 14mm which it did have an update for - but not camera.

Then plugged in with kit lens and no new firmware for either despite both having upgrades on the Olly website.

Anyone know why?

I have sent Olympus an email.

Question for the Silver OM-D Kit owners:

Is your 12-50mm lens silver or black?

I have just tried updating the firmware to 1.2. The message is - "The update service to Ver. 1.2 was temporarily discontinued." When I plug the camera in there is no new version available on the camera updater.

I plugged the camera in with my Panny 14mm which it did have an update for - but not camera.

Then plugged in with kit lens and no new firmware for either despite both having upgrades on the Olly website.

Anyone know why?

They pulled the firmware update due to users having problems updating - not sure when it is coming back

Question for the Silver OM-D Kit owners:

Is your 12-50mm lens silver or black?

Black I believe

Any body using this lens - Panasonic Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6 ASPH Power OIS Zoom Lens

Tried it at SRS,and it seemed very good.

Any body using this lens - Panasonic Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6 ASPH Power OIS Zoom Lens

No I didn't try that one when I was in there a couple of days ago looking for a zoom. Looks a nice lens though.

Weldingblues said:

Yeah I got one a couple of days ago due to the rather lousy weather I haven't been able to give a proper work out.Though what little I've done with it so far looks as though I've spent my money wisely. LOL.

Last edited:

Anyone know why?

Update - but not very helpful:
"We do not know it yet but we will put this information on our website as soon as a new update will be available."

I would like to join in on this thread if I may! :)

Been and collected my black OMD kit today along with 45mm F1.8 and awaiting my dream lens to arrive this coming Tuesday for it! :)

I would like to join in on this thread if I may! :)

Awaiting my dream lens to arrive this coming Tuesday for it! :)

Enlighten us please do, I have part of my OMD system. Trying to decide which used other part to get.

dream lens is the 75mm F1.8! :)

I have, ever since owning my Canon system (last 6 years) wanted the 85mm F1.2L but could never justify buying it (photography is a hobby for me)

So once I had decided I was going to swap to the OMD and buy into a smaller system and I saw the results the 75mm can produce (not dis similar to the 85 1.2) I decided I would get one as its a much more reasonable price than forking out 1.7k for the canon!! :)

I am like a kid at christmas now though, I cant wait for it to arrive!

Here are some taken at and around Edinburgh Airport yesterday, with the OM-D and a 300mm OM Zuiko legacy lens.

P8180728.jpg

P8180748.jpg

P8180594-2.jpg

P8180692.jpg

P8180619.jpg

P8180727.jpg

Some cracking photos there and goes to show that the OMD is not all that bad at capturing moving objects !

Thanks to the guys that answered my query earlier on in the thread.
So here is another:

Where can I get a Silver OM-D with a silver 12-50?

Thanks in advance

Spoke to Oly technical today and was told, 'Any camera with loose lugs is faulty and should be returned for replacement'.

Mine went back today, I'm a little sceptical about the replacement bit, but we shall see.

How they would gain access to tighten a lug, he only knows.

That's a pain Dave, sorry to hear that. Hope you aren't without for too long.

Not wishing to start an argument and sorry to hear of your issues Dave ....

But there does seem to be potential for a worrying amount of 'issues' with the OM-D!

Are all Olympus products this ......flaky :shrug:

bl0at3r said:
Not wishing to start an argument and sorry to hear of your issues Dave ....

But there does seem to be potential for a worrying amount of 'issues' with the OM-D!

Are all Olympus products this ......flaky :shrug:

Hardly, look at any new camera release recently, they've all had issues 5D3, D800, 1DX no more than others

Spoke to Oly technical today and was told, 'Any camera with loose lugs is faulty and should be returned for replacement'.

Mine went back today, I'm a little sceptical about the replacement bit, but we shall see.

How they would gain access to tighten a lug, he only knows.

Dave, you have nothing to be concerned about, the way that reads to me is replacement of the camera not the lugs, they will simply send the replacement out on receipt of your faulty body.

Pentax had problems with the K5 sensors and that was fixed by replacing the camera, most good companies will change a faulty unit ( and that's not only cameras)

Back