Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Do all the raw convertors work good with the olympus or are some prefered?
On that note are the jpegs potentailly good enough to not bother with raw,i know its a personel choice but
how is the comparison from those who have compared?
Thankyou.
Just got the EM10 this morning so looking forward to getting some shots taken,guess i need to experiment
for myself but im not a heavy into processing.
Cheers

On that note are the jpegs potentailly good enough to not bother with raw,i know its a personel choice but
Thankyou.
Just got the EM10 this morning so looking forward to getting some shots taken,guess i need to experiment
for myself but im not a heavy into processing.
Cheers

I tend to shoot raw + medium JPG, I do nearly all of my processing on raw files but sometimes I'll use my ipad for viewing/sharing when I'm travelling and for this I import the jpgs.

When I tested a load of raw converters for my EM5, some had better defaults with ORF files than others. Making those much easier to use. But I didn't compare the final quality. I picked Raw Therapee as I got on with it best.

If your JPEG doesn't have extremes of exposure, then they are normally fine to use.

I have the 14-42 pancake lens.what are the lens's I should be looking at in the not too distant future,Im guessing the 45mm 1.8 is going to be my next purchase and maybe the 17mm 1.8?

I got it in exchange for my d7000 in December and I wasn't aware of the Panny at that time. With hindsight, i would have gone for the P100-300 as that extra stop makes a lot of difference. Yesterday was overcast and I still had to shoot at iso4000

With regards to your lens requirements, it depends what you shoot - the O17 f1.8 is quite pricey compared to the P20 f1.7. What you save if you go for the P20 could get you the O45 but the P20 can struggle and hunt in low light

Can anyone tell me if I need an adapter to use older four third lenses on an EM-1,as some reviews are conflicting, thanks.

I find the 17mm a bit meh - I'm not the biggest fan of the focal length for my general shooting and the CA wide open is a touch on the high side. It is nice but for the price `i'd like it a little better optically

The 45mm on the other hand is optically amazing, irrespective of price, and sharper than the 17mm. Build quality is a bit basic - the grooves on the focus ring are easily dented but that doesn't really bother me.

Hi there - I'm new to this forum and have been lurking a few weeks since buying an EM-10. first impressions I love it and making my way thru the kindle guide ..just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the suggestions on here re primes . I'm now searching deals for a o45 and looking in awe at some of the great shots taken. Thanks

Welcome along - the o45 is a true bargain at £150 or so with the current cashback deal

Hi chaps, anybody had experience comparing high iso performance between the omd range against a Nikon d5100/7000? Also whats the autofocus speed like for shooting toddlers/young kids? Cheers.

I came from a d7000 - I'd say AF speed is night and day, the OMD range just snaps on. For fast moving objects like kids tearing around a garden, you might struggle a little as they're not in DSLR league yet with regards to tracking.

High ISO is ( IMO ) better than the d7000 - I shoot auto with an upper limit of 4000 on the e-m1 whereas I was terrified of "straying" into 3200 on the d7000. I'd usually shoot at less than 1000.

Cheers food for thought, had an x100 and loved the look and feel of the camera but autofocus was very slow compared to my D5100. Was thinking of an xt10 but the lenses seem expensive and then started looking at the OMD range. Do you miss the background blur from the bigger sensor on the nikon?

Last edited:
Not so much - with the d7000 I had a 35 1.8 and 85 1.8, now I have 20 1.7, 25 1.8, 45 1.8, 60 2.8 etc etc

When I used the 85 on the d7000, it would miss a ton of shots but I've never missed one with the 45 - it literally is instant focus whereas the 85 would whirr here and there..

Am i correct in thinking the motor hum when taking a photo is the IS system,once the capture is taken it stops.

So its the oly 45mm 1.8 ,good price with the cash back offer.i have the silver and black em10,im guesssing
Either silver or black lens would match ok?

Some Oly lenses have plastic rings and body. So if you have the silver ones, any wear or abrasions show through as black. Which would be invisible on the black lenses.

Just put my D5100 in the classified's, hoping to raise enough cash for a second-hand / grey import EM1, been reading about them all day and really fancy owning one!

.Still haven't had too much time to put the EM-1 through it's paces but last night I saw this sky developing so rushed to a local spot with no time to spare. Just for kicks I tried a couple handheld, I'm still so impressed by the ibis, I wouldn't have dreamed of taking this handheld with the nikon at 1/5th of a second but it's so easy with this.

Wrecked by Gary Miller, on Flickr

Back