Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

One from me taken with the 12-50 kit lens

Loveis_zps8061d7be.jpg

At least three people are happy here.
PS, its a good pub as well ;)

Once I have access to my laptop I will add to those lovely images taken with 12-50mm although mine may not be quite so good! :shake:

I have decided to get the OM-D, two questions how long does everyone think it will be before a mk2 comes out? and secondly is it worth getting the kit lens or just the body and a more verstile lens such as the Olympus 14-150mm or any other suggestions?

I would say a little while yet :D

The kit lens to me is well worth buying,unless you can adford the panasonic 12-35mm F2.8,then add the 45mm F1.8 :)

Thanks all for the pictures and replies the kit lens it is :)

OM-D reviewed/tested at DxO: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...s-OM-D-E-M5-The-best-of-the-micro-4-3-cameras

ISO is 1 stop out (ISO 200 measures ISO 100 and onward....). Dynamic range better than 7D. Nice.

Hmmmm.

So, if metering at an indicated ISO 200 will the shutter speed actually be that required at 200, or 100??? Baffled at the mo.

I'm interested as I like to shoot wide apertures even in good light and a base shutter speed required for ISO 200 would mean I'd be using ND's a lot (more.)

PS. the scores look good and I do wonder why the delay.

Hmmmm.

So, if metering at an indicated ISO 200 will the shutter speed actually be that required at 200, or 100??? Baffled at the mo.

This is the potential explanation (although I haven't thought it through enough yet to know if I agree): http://www.mu-43.com/f92/dxomark-finally-tests-olympus-om-d-e-m5-33722/

Anybody tried the panasonic 12-35mm F2.8,what do you think :)
Yes. I like it. A couple of extra stops over the kit zooms, better resolution and better OIS. What's not to like (apart from the price)?

This is the potential explanation (although I haven't thought it through enough yet to know if I agree): http://www.mu-43.com/f92/dxomark-finally-tests-olympus-om-d-e-m5-33722/

Yes. I like it. A couple of extra stops over the kit zooms, better resolution and better OIS. What's not to like (apart from the price)?

Hmmm. It's far from clear but I think what they're saying is it'll choose the higher shutter speed, which may be bad news for anyone hitting 1/4000 second. I'd need to try before I buy, but it looks like that's the case.

So if the body reports iso200, dxo reckons it is actually closer to 100 :wacky:

Maybe that's how olympus can get usable 6400 out of the omd - by lying ! :LOL:

Still top of the m43 pile though (y)

OMD has a new firmware, v1.5 available for updating the camera. I have not tried it yet just waiting to see if there are any issues with it.

OMD has a new firmware, v1.5 available for updating the camera. I have not tried it yet just waiting to see if there are any issues with it.

Thanks for the heads up Colin. I think I will wait as well, after the last fiasco, but hopefully they've got it right this time!

I've just updated mine from 1.0, via 1.3 to 1.5. No issues yet. One benefit of the update is that the IBIS no longer makes a noise all the time, only when the shutter is half-pressed. This ought to improve battery life.

I updated to 1.5 from 1.2 last night, no problems with updating, but had to update twice (first to 1.4 then to 1.5). Most noticeable difference is as Glenn said, no constant noise from the IBIS. If you set Half Shutter Rls IS to ON in settings, then it will come on when you half press, otherwise it will only come on when the shutter closes and you can't hear it at all during use.

Spotted on twitter last night:

What a deal!
The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is a stunning lens, an excellent addition to the camera.

Last edited:
Don't tempt me mate ;)

I've just shelled out for the oly 75 f1.8. I hope it is as good as the reviews suggest it is.
Have you upgraded the om d firmware yet? I did mine yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ajophotog said:
I've just shelled out for the oly 75 f1.8. I hope it is as good as the reviews suggest it is.

Very nice, looks a stunning lens. I've got my eye on the new Olympus 60mm macro ;-)

Oh and I'll update my firmware at the weekend

Very nice, looks a stunning lens. I've got my eye on the new Olympus 60mm macro ;-)

Oh and I'll update my firmware at the weekend

That 60 macro looks pretty good, I have the Leica 45 macro f2.8 which is excellent. Still need to sort the lighting out for macro though. I just can't seem to find time to do it.

Spotted on twitter last night:

What a deal!
The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is a stunning lens, an excellent addition to the camera.

Wish you hadn't posted this, just bought the OMD with kit lens + 45mm 1.8 at full price last month. Oh well :(

How much did you pay for the Oly 75 and where from? I'm a bit disappointed that these M43 lenses are becoming so expensive, with a lot of the so called good ones being near the £1k mark, it's just not affordable for people like me who don't have mountains of cash and just doing it as a hobby. The 45mm however is affordable and is a great piece of kit for the money, I'm hoping Oly will release a few more lenses like this around this price category.

Wish you hadn't posted this, just bought the OMD with kit lens + 45mm 1.8 at full price last month. Oh well :(

When I bought mine it was in between promotions, so no freebies for me either :shake:

+1 :( at least is was from HK so a little cheaper..............

How much did you pay for the Oly 75 and where from? I'm a bit disappointed that these M43 lenses are becoming so expensive, with a lot of the so called good ones being near the £1k mark, it's just not affordable for people like me who don't have mountains of cash and just doing it as a hobby. The 45mm however is affordable and is a great piece of kit for the money, I'm hoping Oly will release a few more lenses like this around this price category.

I got it from here, last one in stock. http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/olympus-pen-ed-75mm-f1-8-silver.html
It arrived today and just wow wow wow is all I can say about this lens. The thing shows a sharpness and quality that make you go wow. Beautifully built too.

Sharp innit? just like the price has fallen sharply. I paid £100 more 4 weeks ago :bang:

Yes as sharp as a sharp thing :LOL: colour/contrast looking spot on too. I could have got it a £100 cheaper almost then that from far east but thought best get a local UK version. It is annoying when they drop prices like that.

+1 :( at least is was from HK so a little cheaper..............

I very nearly bought from Panamoz.....decent price for the kit, but I just didn't feel comfortable paying so much to a HK seller, even though they seem very legit. I wanted to know that I had UK stock and also peace of mind of just being able to walk into a local shop about any issues with it, ended up just going to Jessops to buy it along with the 45mm in the end. Had to pay more, but I'm happy with not buying a grey import and peace of mind. Seeing this 45mm promotion has hit a bit of a sore spot though....

I very nearly bought from Panamoz.....decent price for the kit, but I just didn't feel comfortable paying so much to a HK seller, even though they seem very legit. I wanted to know that I had UK stock and also peace of mind of just being able to walk into a local shop about any issues with it, ended up just going to Jessops to buy it along with the 45mm in the end. Had to pay more, but I'm happy with not buying a grey import and peace of mind. Seeing this 45mm promotion has hit a bit of a sore spot though....

I know just where you are coming from. I got the grip with my om-d being an early buyer. I hate all these deals after you have purchased, can't see why they can't just put up a decent price and have done with it. It does get peoples backs up if they have just missed out.

Back