Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Here's a couple of examples with the 75mm:

P8310850-1.jpg

PA020796.jpg

Yep shows just how sharp it is Glenn, I've just taken a couple of test shots to see how the bokeh shapes up and it is smooth. Off to North Wales next week so will give it a good run out then. Just ordered the JJC hood also. I think I'm going to like this lens a lot. :D

Yep shows just how sharp it is Glenn, I've just taken a couple of test shots to see how the bokeh shapes up and it is smooth. Off to North Wales next week so will give it a good run out then. Just ordered the JJC hood also. I think I'm going to like this lens a lot. :D

Have a good trip. Be careful with the JJC hood, it marks quite easily if you let it rub against other stuff in your bag, still works of course but not as attractive with black marks on it.

Lovely shots Glenn

Look forward to seeing your shots in Wales Alby, fingers crossed for the weather too. I'm off to ilfracombe at the end of the month, so hoping the weather is good then ;)

I'm really tempted by the quality of the 75mm but its just not a focal length I'd use that much, but it does look very very sharp!

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in central London that has an E-M5 on display (and sale at a reasonable price)? No luck at my local Jessops (Moorgate) and John Lewis don't sell them.
Would rather not have to buy a camera I've never seen, let alone held, off the internet - but at this rate it looks like Amazon might be getting my order after all!

OR... do any of you E-M5 owners have an experience with either the NEX7 or the Panasonic G5? I tried both in Jessops and liked the EVF on the G5 but hated the one on the NEX (way too small and really pixellated) - is the E-M5 more like the Panny or the Sony?

London Camera Exchange on the Strand had one that I got a good fondle of, as well as the Fuji jobbie. Very nice they were too.

Not tried the G5, but I tried the G3 and didn't like the EVF at all, it was really dark and colours looked rubbish, but don't know if it was just set up incorrectly somehow.

I also tried the NEX7, and although many reviews online said it was the best EVF yet with 2.1m oled or whatever, I found it wasn't very clear even with tinkering the focus wheel thing, I couldn't get it right, seemed like everything was out of focus slightly. Reading online, it seems other users are experiencing the same thing and it could be down to the high magnification of the EVF, and if you don't have your eye completely central, it causes this clarity issue.

In comparison, I really like the EVF on the OMD, have none of these issues with clarity or colours looking funny. It may not be as big as the EVF on the NEX7 but it's good enough, and every time I put my eye to it, it's clear and the colours are good. I can happily switch between using the back screen and EVF depending on situation and my mood which is great.

Jessops on Oxford Street (right by the junction with Wardour Street) certainly have a good range of bodies in the shop for tactile appreciation, no questions asked. Camera bodies that is.

Otherwise, you could pop round the corner to Camera World on Wells Street who have well informed staff and fairly competitive prices, but you'll have to ask them to get a camera out from the cabinet to play with.

Last edited:
London Camera Exchange on the Strand had one that I got a good fondle of, as well as the Fuji jobbie. Very nice they were too.

Jessops on Oxford Street ... Camera World on Wells Street

Cheers. If I don't locate one nearer my office (nr. Bank tube station) I'll have to pay them a visit! I got my DSLR from Cameraworld :)

Last edited:
This morning's moon with legacy Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 and Olympus OM 2x teleconverter, hand-held

PA060858.jpg

I apologise for such a simple question but what is the L-Fn button on the lens for?

It's a programable function button that you can configure to do whatever you like.

ShrubMonkey said:
Upgraded to firmware 1.5, no more IBIS noise, can't believe how quiet it is
Yes it does make it rather more quiet doesn't it.

I was thinking of getting a filter to protect the kit lens, would it be best just to get a UV one or a polarising? is hoya pro1 the best? and is it 52mm?

Last edited:
A CPL is completely different to a UV filter.

A UV filter serves no purpose on a digital camera other than the protect the lens. A CPL has an effect on polarised light, so will effect your shots (how much will depend on conditions at the time).

Know what a filter does before buying it! :)

-------------
EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your post history and see that you've previously owned a DSLR so must know all of the above already.

For me, lens protection is like extended warranties - an expensive solution to solve a rare problem. I use a CPL frequently, but for it's optical effects not for protection. I have a UV for protection in the camera bag, but I've never yet felt the need to use it. In a sandstorm, I'd probably put the camera away and hide!

Last edited:
A CPL is completely different to a UV filter.

A UV filter serves no purpose on a digital camera other than the protect the lens. A CPL has an effect on polarised light, so will effect your shots (how much will depend on conditions at the time).

Know what a filter does before buying it! :)

-------------
EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your post history and see that you've previously owned a DSLR so must know all of the above already.

For me, lens protection is like extended warranties - an expensive solution to solve a rare problem. I use a CPL frequently, but for it's optical effects not for protection. I have a UV for protection in the camera bag, but I've never yet felt the need to use it. In a sandstorm, I'd probably put the camera away and hide!
Thanks I always had a UV filter on my walkabout lens and the polarising one on my 10-20mm. Being only 52mm they are much cheaper than my 77mm ones.

How did you find the polariser on such a wide lens? The normal advice is to take care using a CPL on a wide-angle lens as the polarisation effect varies across the sky.

Like you say, a 52mm is pretty cheap (£18 on amazon for a Hoya Pro-1 UV), so if you want to use a UV filter, it's not going to break the bank.

Finally managed to get my hands on a demo E-M5 today (Jessops, New Oxford St).

Was very impressed - seems very solid despite the size without being overly heavy, and the EVF is nice and clear (the eyecup was missing but the EVF was still usable, unlike the NEX 7 I also tried).

The one downside was the placement of the rear dial - it's too close to the EVF as I'm a left-eye shooter and my face is in the way. I'd probably swap the wheels so that aperture was at the front and EC at the back, but it would still be annoying. And I think the grip only replicates the front wheel, rather than being programmable to replace the rear?

Are there any other left-eye shooters with an E-M5? How do you manage with it? I've seen there's a deeper eye-cup available which might give me more room between face and dial!

I used third party batteries to do the update, everything seems fine. Thankfully Oly aren't like Panasonic when it comes to these things.

Thankfully Oly aren't like Panasonic when it comes to these things.
No, you are right. Panasonic actually have stocks of original batteries you can buy ;)

Is there a cheap equivelent of the canon 50mm 1.8 for the OMD?

Is there a cheap equivelent of the canon 50mm 1.8 for the OMD?

If you are comparing to a 50mm lens on an Canon APS-C sensor, the equivalent field of view on MFT is 40mm (50 x 1.6 / 2.0).

The nearest at the moment is the Olympus 45/f1.8.

Finally managed to get my hands on a demo E-M5 today (Jessops, New Oxford St).

Was very impressed - seems very solid despite the size without being overly heavy, and the EVF is nice and clear (the eyecup was missing but the EVF was still usable, unlike the NEX 7 I also tried).

The one downside was the placement of the rear dial - it's too close to the EVF as I'm a left-eye shooter and my face is in the way. I'd probably swap the wheels so that aperture was at the front and EC at the back, but it would still be annoying. And I think the grip only replicates the front wheel, rather than being programmable to replace the rear?

Are there any other left-eye shooters with an E-M5? How do you manage with it? I've seen there's a deeper eye-cup available which might give me more room between face and dial!
Are there no left-eye OM-D shooters? :shake:

If you are comparing to a 50mm lens on an Canon APS-C sensor, the equivalent field of view on MFT is 40mm (50 x 1.6 / 2.0).

The nearest at the moment is the Olympus 45/f1.8.

Umm that seems to be quite expensive I thought there were great cheap lenses for the MFT cameras?

Umm that seems to be quite expensive I thought there were great cheap lenses for the MFT cameras?
There are. It's just your definition of cheap that needs adjusting ;)

There are cheap lenses if you are willing to use manual focus.

I've just bought three and the most expensive was £38.

If we're talking about optical quality, reliably-useable maximum aperture and very fast focus : compared to equivalent other-brands DSLR lenses : then the 45mm can be regarded as cheap, or at least good value.

Back