Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The Fuji is 3mm wider than the pen but ( excuse the crappy screen grab )

Have considered the Panasonic GM1.
It is tiny and m4/3.

is it any good, Alf ? I'd have to sell 2 lenses to afford something else so i'd need enough money to buy something suitable that i can sling in a coat or glovebox and not worry about.

is it any good, Alf ? I'd have to sell 2 lenses to afford something else so i'd need enough money to buy something suitable that i can sling in a coat or glovebox and not worry about.
IQ is as good as any other m4/3. It's controls, features and lack of VF that let it down. However, it's tiny and can produce great images. With a pancake lens it'll easily fit into a coat pocket.

View attachment 95135

IQ is as good as any other m4/3. It's controls, features and lack of VF that let it down. However, it's tiny and can produce great images. With a pancake lens it'll easily fit into a coat pocket.

View attachment 95135
One of the tiny versions has a VF but it is a tiny VF.

Stick a 17 f/2.8 or the Lumix 14 f/2.5 / 20 f/1.7 on a Pen-F, much more satisfactory :)

The Pen is out of my price range for a second camera, Huw. Will have a look at the lx100

yes but the Pen F + 17 f1.8 is larger and more expensive than the x100T as i don't have either. Not looked at the GX80

This is a "take everywhere" camera as opposed to a replacement for m43
I looked into take anywhere cameras. Where I think size is important. I had to dismiss all the interchangeable lens cameras as too bulky once a zoon lens was added. The lovely Panasonical GM5 with EVF was tempting. But still bulky with zoom attached.
For compactness, Sony and Panasonic are the leaders. Fuji is way too bulky. The LX100 has got to be on the short list. Or a Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX10 if 1" is acceptable.

I already have a rx100 mk2 but, inspite of good IQ, I don't like it. It's a bit clinical but wifey won't let me sell it as it fits in her bag

Last edited:
I already have a rx100 mk2 but, inspite of good IQ, I don't like it. It's a bit clinical but wifey won't let me sell it as it fits in her bag
Ah but you got the mk2 see. If you'd have held out for the mk3 with it's "looker-through-er", it would have been the next best thing to the Olympus XA.

meh.. not feeling it. Damn you fuji x100 thingy
Don't forget my x100t is for sale in the classifieds, I'm sure we can do a deal..

I have an Olympus XZ-10 that fits in my shirt pocket but IQ, while not terrible, is nowhere near the slightly bigger cameras so I only bring it for biking and suchlike.

Well, like Groundhog Day, I just purchased an E-M5 Mk2 with 12-40 kit. Excited to be back and to be able continue contributing to this thread and the m43 community in general (as I used to do).

I've also just re-joined Flickr and also re-subscribed to Adobe Photography CC.

Hoping to have learned lessons from my previous forays into photography and as a result of my 12-18 month hiatus, I will not be chasing gear, always looking for the next best thing nor will I be buying lens after lens just for the sake of it.

I intend to get out and use the camera to its fullest, pushing my skills and striving for really nice photos. My shooting style lends itself to m43 more than any other type of system/manufacturer.

So, until it arrives tomorrow, here are a couple of my snaps from previous Oly m43 gear....

P8020053-Edit
by the BLOATER, on Flickr

PB070310

P6030184

Last edited:
What is the preferred fast pancake these days? I loved the 20mm f1.7 for its focal length, aperture and size. I had 4 copies over the years and used on all my m43 bodies. Has anything surpassed it ?

What is the preferred fast pancake these days? I loved the 20mm f1.7 for its focal length, aperture and size. I had 4 copies over the years and used on all my m43 bodies. Has anything surpassed it ?

Not in terms of size, it's still a great lens, I keep thinking of trying one as it's small and I don't really like the 17mm FoV.

Good to see you back! I still have and use the original 20mm 1.7 and while it may not be the fastest focussing lens, optically it's great.

Well, like Groundhog Day, I just purchased an E-M5 Mk2 with 12-40 kit. Excited to be back and to be able continue contributing to this thread and the m43 community in general (as I used to do).

Hoping to have learned lessons from my previous forays into photography and as a result of my 12-18 month hiatus, I will not be chasing gear, always looking for the next best thing nor will I be buying lens after lens just for the sake of it.

I intend to get out and use the camera to its fullest, pushing my skills and striving for really nice photos. My shooting style lends itself to m43 more than any other type of system/manufacturer.

So, until it arrives tomorrow, here are a couple of my snaps from previous Oly m43 gear....

P8020053-Edit

PB070310

P6030184

Learning not to chase gear is part of every photographer's journey, generally people seem much happier past that point.

P8020053-Edit

PB070310

P6030184

Good to see you back Alan and definitely a few words of wisdom there for me too.
Its probably fair to say trying 'other' gear has cost me a fair bit of cash, the good thing I guess is that I've hung on to my core m4/3rds gear each time. The result....each time is that 'again' I find m4/3rds suits me best.

Super trio of images btw.. love the snail.

Last edited:
What bags do you guys use to carry your M4/3 kit? I want a backpack that can hold an EM1, 12-40, 7-14 & 40-150. It also needs to have space for non-photo gear e.g. A coat, sandwiches, phone, water etc. I have a Kata bag that is almost there, but the non photo space is slightly small. It needs to be carry on compatible too. I have been watching nearly every bag review video but still can't decide. The mind shift gear rotation bags look good but I'm not sure if the smaller one is too small but the horizon looks a bit big. It needs to be comfortable for a days walking. Any thoughts?

What bags do you guys use to carry your M4/3 kit? I want a backpack that can hold an EM1, 12-40, 7-14 & 40-150. It also needs to have space for non-photo gear e.g. A coat, sandwiches, phone, water etc. I have a Kata bag that is almost there, but the non photo space is slightly small. It needs to be carry on compatible too. I have been watching nearly every bag review video but still can't decide. The mind shift gear rotation bags look good but I'm not sure if the smaller one is too small but the horizon looks a bit big. It needs to be comfortable for a days walking. Any thoughts?
Sling or backpack? I have a Lowepro 200aw sling and it has plenty of space for your kind of kit(I used it for a DSLR and 3-4 lenses). The non-photo space is not huge but I can fit a rain jacket or a film SLR or sandwiches in there.

I use the Lowepro Photosport 200 and it carries:

EM1, 12-40, 40-150 in the 'photo' bit (40-150 detached) then in the main compartment I can put loads of stuff but last year for Alaska I also took an EM5ii, PL100-400 and Samyang fisheye, batteries, filters, binoculars and bits and bobs. I stuff my coat or fleece in the outside 'stuff bit' and a 12" Macbook in the hydration pouch compartment.

This, for me, is the ultimate travel kit but you are packing tight as it were, you might want something bigger.

edit: also in the main bit I had ALL my charging gear and a big powerbank to charge my batteries and the laptop.

Last edited:
My bags are small and its OK for m43 kits. However if you're carrying a tripod then larger bags have an advantage. You can't really strap a nice tripod on a small bag.

I use a Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW to carry my gripped EM-1,12-40, 7-14, 40-150+TC and 60mm Macro. Not enough room for sandwiches (my other half tends to look after those:)) but I strap my coat/waterproof to the outside where a tripod would normally reside.
Not sure it's available anymore (purchased mine about three years ago) but I'm sure Lowepro do something similar. My E-M5 MkII and primes reside in a more 'urban' ThinkTank Retrospective 5.

Last edited:

Yup.

I can relate to that. To me MFT is a natural place for people who grew up with 35mm film. The camera and lens package is comparable size wise but heavier (as 35mm film cameras are pretty much an empty metal and plastic box) whilst offering better image quality than I ever got from 35mm film. The Sony A6k and A7 series (with a compact prime, not a GM f2.8 zoom) are other alternatives to 35mm film, sorry Fuji users :D

Anyway. Good luck with the new kit and resolve to avoid gas.

Good to see you back into photography Alan. I've always liked your work! I left Olympus over a year ago now for health reasons. I went first for the Panasonic FZ1000, and then onto the Sony RX10MK3, which is excellent for a bridge camera. However when Panasonic were doing their double cash back, I was tempted towards a GX80, and I have now got the new 100-300mm MK2 to go with it, and I have to say it's a lovely combo. At last I seem to be settled, with the Sony for bad days when changing lenses is beyond my capabilities, and the GX80 for my better days. Like you, and I think most of us here I too have suffered with severe GAS and for me, within the constraints of my health, but now I really do think I'm settled

P8020053-Edit

PB070310

P6030184

I use the Lowepro Photosport 200 and it carries:

EM1, 12-40, 40-150 in the 'photo' bit (40-150 detached) then in the main compartment I can put loads of stuff but last year for Alaska I also took an EM5ii, PL100-400 and Samyang fisheye, batteries, filters, binoculars and bits and bobs. I stuff my coat or fleece in the outside 'stuff bit' and a 12" Macbook in the hydration pouch compartment.

This, for me, is the ultimate travel kit but you are packing tight as it were, you might want something bigger.

edit: also in the main bit I had ALL my charging gear and a big powerbank to charge my batteries and the laptop.

Thanks Nawty, I just looked at some videos of this and it seems ideal. Better still I just ordered a brand new one for £29 delivered from eBay. It seems there is now a mark II and the mark I is being sold cheap.

Thanks to everyone else who made suggestions too. I always like a rucksack type as slings and messenger bags always make my shoulder ache.

Yup.

I can relate to that. To me MFT is a natural place for people who grew up with 35mm film. The camera and lens package is comparable size wise but heavier (as 35mm film cameras are pretty much an empty metal and plastic box) whilst offering better image quality than I ever got from 35mm film. The Sony A6k and A7 series (with a compact prime, not a GM f2.8 zoom) are other alternatives to 35mm film, sorry Fuji users :D

Anyway. Good luck with the new kit and resolve to avoid gas.

Thanks woof

Good to see you back into photography Alan. I've always liked your work! I left Olympus over a year ago now for health reasons. I went first for the Panasonic FZ1000, and then onto the Sony RX10MK3, which is excellent for a bridge camera. However when Panasonic were doing their double cash back, I was tempted towards a GX80, and I have now got the new 100-300mm MK2 to go with it, and I have to say it's a lovely combo. At last I seem to be settled, with the Sony for bad days when changing lenses is beyond my capabilities, and the GX80 for my better days. Like you, and I think most of us here I too have suffered with severe GAS and for me, within the constraints of my health, but now I really do think I'm settled

Thanks Marcia very kind - sorry to hear your health has stopped you from using the gear you would like. At least you are able to use a camera and still take photos :)

New camera arrived today - battery on charge right now :woot:

Funny how I was able to go to the cupboard, find a suitable memory card and my previous Olympus pen bag - seems strangely familiar having been here before unboxing an EM5Mk2 :rolleyes:

Hope to get some initial snaps whilst out and about on the road at work tomorrow.

Any suggestions for the first few settings to adjust? I've set auto-ISO limit and changed my dials round.

@Greytop , sorry if this has already been covered but are these moon shots hand held or stabilised?
The IQ is really excellent.
that last moon shot lens/tele combo is about 1300mm so i doubt its hand held! well i couldnt with my shakes:D

Loving the moon shot, I bet the camera looked like a bazooka.

Back