Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Good evening folks.
I am thinking of picking up an OM D E-M10 at the end of this month with a 14-42mm lens for starters.
Main shooting for me is landscapes and portraits.
Lenses aside for a moment is the chosen body ideal for what i shoot?

Good evening folks.
I am thinking of picking up an OM D E-M10 at the end of this month with a 14-42mm lens for starters.
Main shooting for me is landscapes and portraits.
Lenses aside for a moment is the chosen body ideal for what i shoot?

Yep, will do nicely and for portraits the bargain-tastic 45mm f/1.8 is almost a must have.

at the bmx track for the first time in a few weeks as my youngest was itching to practice. Used the electronic shutter but turned off IBIS as i'd read it makes the rolling shutter effect more pronounced

rockets
by damianmkv, on Flickr

coasting
by damianmkv, on Flickr

this is the son of a guy i went to school with - he's racing in America in a week's time

it's on
by damianmkv, on Flickr

my youngest

runnymede rockets
by damianmkv, on Flickr

at the bmx track for the first time in a few weeks as my youngest was itching to practice. Used the electronic shutter but turned off IBIS as i'd read it makes the rolling shutter effect more pronounced

rockets
by damianmkv, on Flickr

coasting
by damianmkv, on Flickr

this is the son of a guy i went to school with - he's racing in America in a week's time

it's on
by damianmkv, on Flickr

my youngest

runnymede rockets
by damianmkv, on Flickr

They're great! (and no jello either).

Thanks Ned - it's there a little, more than I'd like and I'd need to see elsewhere how it performs. Can't be at Santa Pod this weekend as it would've been ideal

Last edited:
Looking to move over to an E-M1 from a Panasonic G7. Was thinking of getting the Panasonic 12-60 f3.5-5.6 lens. Anyone got any experience of one on an E-M1??

Looking to move over to an E-M1 from a Panasonic G7. Was thinking of getting the Panasonic 12-60 f3.5-5.6 lens. Anyone got any experience of one on an E-M1??

Any particular reason for that lens? it's a bit of a meh option for me...

No reason other than it;s within my budget and is also weather sealed.

Do you plan to buy new? In that case you would be much better off with the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO, which you can pick up for about £400 secondhand.

A better budget option is the Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS for about £100 secondhand, but this is not weather-sealed.

You could also look at the Olympus 12-50mm, which does have weather sealing, but optically it's apparently not that great: http://www.photozone.de/m43/827-olympus1250f3563ez?start=2

I have the Oly 12-40 and the Panasonic 14-45, but not the Oly 12-50.

Evening all, well made the switch from Nikon to Olympus.

Delivery arranged for tomorrow.

I will be asking........many questions.

Thanks all (y)

I've also just made the switch from a D750 to an EM1 mk2. I'll be following your questions with interest.

I was a real photographer 3 years ago before I decided continued adjustment of lenses to get things in focus was too old skool for whippersnappers

Soooo, question 1.

L brackets. I have to have an L bracket. Doesn't seem right putting a £20 bracket on a M1. Any recommendations?

Regards.

Do you have the E-M1 MkI or MkII? I have the Really Right Stuff BOEM1-L set for the E-M1 MkI. Highly recommended if you can pick one up 2nd hand at a reasonable price. One thing to bear in mind is that you will have to unscrew the part of the plate that allows portrait orientation if you want to use a remote shutter release.

Do you have the E-M1 MkI or MkII? I have the Really Right Stuff BOEM1-L set for the E-M1 MkI. Highly recommended if you can pick one up 2nd hand at a reasonable price. One thing to bear in mind is that you will have to unscrew the part of the plate that allows portrait orientation if you want to use a remote shutter release.

Mkii. Cheers, I'll have a look.

Regards.

Just seen a review that stated the LCD screen does not open all the way. Linky

Dealbreaker.....think it is.

Cheers.

Last edited:
And..?

what lenses did you get?

Hi 12-40mm PRO Lens. Almost bought a 40-150mm f/2.8 Interchangeable PRO Lens last night but resisted :)

Early days so can't comment on image quality but the functions and build quality are superb.

Off to Wales on Wednesday so will have a proper test then :)

Cheers.

The 40-150 is my favourite lens I've ever owned on any system.

It is sharp all the way across the frame, has very close minimum focus so is great for butterflies and the like, it also has minimal focus breathing, excellent build, internal zoom and focus, weather sealing, takes the x1.4 TC with minimal loss in quality and is just generally great. It can have slightly dodgy bokeh in certain situations (people describe it as 'nervous') but that doesn't happen very often.

Hi 12-40mm PRO Lens. Almost bought a 40-150mm f/2.8 Interchangeable PRO Lens last night but resisted :)

Early days so can't comment on image quality but the functions and build quality are superb.

Off to Wales on Wednesday so will have a proper test then :)

Cheers.

Make sure you try out the great features on the Olympus - the live time and live bulb are great :)

Also worth trying the hi-res shot option if you get good conditions.

Dave.

If you're feeling flush/flash then a metabones adapter are probably the best, otherwise there are a plethora of options on ebay for around £25 which will do the job fine.

Question -
There seems to be very little difference in price between a used E-M10 mk1 and a E-M5 mk1.
Other than weather proofed body and 3 vs 5 axis ibis is there any other reason to choose the 5 over the 10 for landscape and portrait photography?

Question -
There seems to be very little difference in price between a used E-M10 mk1 and a E-M5 mk1.
Other than weather proofed body and 3 vs 5 axis ibis is there any other reason to choose the 5 over the 10 for landscape and portrait photography?

No.

When I bought into m43 I faced this quandary and ended up buying the EM10, bar the weather sealing it is far the better camera with a lot more modern features and more recent firmware updates (although they have since ceased).

I miss my EM10.

Question -

What did you decide on?

Back