Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I read that the boys at 3LT have made an L bracket that may fit. Might be worth a look.

I've taken the plunge and got a 12-40 Oly as everyone on here told me to do when I got my EM5 - what can I say it takes a while to sink in sometimes!
I assume you're happy with it? I rarely use any other lens with my Olly.

I've taken the plunge and got a 12-40 Oly as everyone on here told me to do when I got my EM5 - what can I say it takes a while to sink in sometimes!

I recently borrowed one off a friend for a trip to Norway. I usually just use my 9-18mm, 20mm and 45mm. I have to say it was nice to basically do everything with one lens. And the build quality *drool*. Also the manual focus clutch is amazing.

I want one, but it would make the other 3 lenses mostly redundant (except for a few special cases). I think the 12-100 would make more sense for me.... but that is a lot of pennies!

I used to have all of those but the 20 and 45 have gone. I think the 9-18 might go next because, as lovely and small as it is, it's not seen any use for nigh on a year

I recently borrowed one off a friend for a trip to Norway. I usually just use my 9-18mm, 20mm and 45mm. I have to say it was nice to basically do everything with one lens. And the build quality *drool*. Also the manual focus clutch is amazing.

I want one, but it would make the other 3 lenses mostly redundant (except for a few special cases). I think the 12-100 would make more sense for me.... but that is a lot of pennies!

I have the 20mm but will sell that now I think, subject to a test. It's just arrived and is chunky comparatively a few quick test shots done - I think I'm going to like it. I have the same issue, but I have just the 20 and 60 Macro (a very nice light set-up) - I'll definitely keep the latter, but sometimes find the other lens a bit limiting, this will cover a lot of ground.

I'm considering going forr it and getting the 40-150 if the 12-40 works out, but it would mean selling most of my Canon Kit. I have a weird emotional attachment to my 40D and 85mm, can't explain it!

I have the 20mm but will sell that now I think, subject to a test. It's just arrived and is chunky comparatively a few quick test shots done - I think I'm going to like it. I have the same issue, but I have just the 20 and 60 Macro (a very nice light set-up) - I'll definitely keep the latter, but sometimes find the other lens a bit limiting, this will cover a lot of ground.

I'm considering going forr it and getting the 40-150 if the 12-40 works out, but it would mean selling most of my Canon Kit. I have a weird emotional attachment to my 40D and 85mm, can't explain it!
I don't think the 12-40 is quite as sharp but it's so damn close it'd never bother you. And yea the difference between 1.7 and 2.8 is pretty rare for me that it matters and the focussing speed difference is huge. The only thing I don't like on my 20mm.

@akr I completely understand - i'm thinking of dumping my m43 for Nikon as, for what i shoot now, the Nikon makes better sense in terms of focus lock and finances.

But something makes me think that I'll keep the m43 and get the em1 mk2 and hope it will be "good enough"...

:thinking:

I don't think the 12-40 is quite as sharp but it's so damn close it'd never bother you. And yea the difference between 1.7 and 2.8 is pretty rare for me that it matters and the focussing speed difference is huge. The only thing I don't like on my 20mm.

Pretty sure I won't notice!

@akr I completely understand - i'm thinking of dumping my m43 for Nikon as, for what i shoot now, the Nikon makes better sense in terms of focus lock and finances.

But something makes me think that I'll keep the m43 and get the em1 mk2 and hope it will be "good enough"...

I think I have the classic problem - I want everything in a small body to act like the big body and lenses. I know I don't take my 40D out enough (or at all) and the OM5II has got me back into it, so it's staying. But I've taken my favourite pictures of my kids with the 40D, the focus is better but I think the 12-40 may focus faster (don;t get my wrong it's ok on the EM5, but just better and I am more sure of it getting it right especially when they are running left right and centre! I really like the images with the 85mm, and in some ways I think maybe I should just get a smaller DSLR, but then you get into this never ending loop of wanting to go out with more than the 85mm, and we are back to heavy. I think things will only get better, but let's see. I'm trying to remember that DSLR + I don't take it out most times, so it does not matter what it does as you can;t use what you don't have on you!

Why not try an EM1-II from olly's test and wow and find out?

Best clouds I've seen, we left wifey shopping and headed to the beach and noticed the rain coming. It really made me consider my thoughts of changing systems as I'd have to lug round much more weight

The 9-18mm is one of my most used lenses. I use it on my E-M5II
The E-M1 is used for macro with sigma 105 if an EM5iii comes out I think I will have two of them on with grip.

20170806_163158.jpg
Compact and useful.

The image stabilisation combined with wide angle, means it's good hand held at night.

Last edited:
I've just borrowed the E-M1ii through the Olympus Test Run scheme as im trying to decide whether to change from the Fuji XT1 to the OM-D system or stay with Fuji and upgrade to the XT2?
Of course the weather is awful but I went out to a local Sunflower field and this is my first photo taken with the Olympus, so far im very impressed with how quick it focuses but obviously need to play some more and try to get some decent photos ;)

SunflowerBud.jpg

i like that Tracy - can i ask about the test and wow ? Their T&Cs state a utility bill must be provided as ID, which is fine except all mine are on-line via an app so are paperless. Did you have any issues or do you have paper copies ?

i like that Tracy - can i ask about the test and wow ? Their T&Cs state a utility bill must be provided as ID, which is fine except all mine are on-line via an app so are paperless. Did you have any issues or do you have paper copies ?

Thank you Damian, I just gave them my driving license and my gas/electricity bill which I still get in paper form so I'm sorry I can't help but if you want I can ask for you when I take the camera back on Thursday?

Hi folks. I've just picked up an em10 with 14-42 EZ and 40-150 kit lenses.

I'm just not using my Nikon FF kit enough so it's up for sale and am going to try and do 'more with less' on the m43 setup.

I'm impressed with it so far, I guess it will just take some time to get used to AF system and sensor abilities, plus all the menus and options etc.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go with lenses, I'll probably stick with what I have for now but will be looking to upgrade them to better options sometime soon.

So where are the best value lenses for m43 giving maximum 'bang per buck'? I'll be mostly buying used on here or though eBay I expect.

So far I'm thinking lumix 20mm 1.7 and Oly 45mm 1.8 for two faster primes. Then maybe look at the 9-18mm for a wide angle and 70-300 for telephoto stuff. Maybe add the Samyang 7.5mm for a fisheye (loved my 12mm fish on FF).

What's the TP consensus on these lenses and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Ryan.

I'm just not using my Nikon FF kit enough so it's up for sale and am going to try and do 'more with less' on the m43 setup.

I'm impressed with it so far, I guess it will just take some time to get used to AF system and sensor abilities, plus all the menus and options etc.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go with lenses, I'll probably stick with what I have for now but will be looking to upgrade them to better options sometime soon.

So where are the best value lenses for m43 giving maximum 'bang per buck'? I'll be mostly buying used on here or though eBay I expect.

So far I'm thinking lumix 20mm 1.7 and Oly 45mm 1.8 for two faster primes. Then maybe look at the 9-18mm for a wide angle and 70-300 for telephoto stuff. Maybe add the Samyang 7.5mm for a fisheye (loved my 12mm fish on FF).

What's the TP consensus on these lenses and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Ryan.
You've probably mentioned all the best lenses in terms of bang for buck, with the 45mm and the 40-150mm 4-5.6 R being the best of those imo. However, the lens I use by far the most is the 12-40mm f2.8 pro. OK it's not cheap, and it's one of the bigger m4/3 lenses but it's certainly one of the best imo.

I've had all the lenses you mention in the last few years - the 14-42 + 40-150 are surprisingly good, considering their cost

P20 - great lens, razor sharp but can be slow and hunt in low light which might get frustrating. Some mentions of banding at ISO3200+ but i didn't see it on my copy
O45 - another great portrait lens, can be bought for around £110 used
9-18 - plenty good enough for landscapes, don't use mine enough unfortunately
70-300 - can be a bit soft over 280mm, depending on the sample you have. Also consider that it needs good light and speed to minimise shake as you're at 600mm equivalent.
S7.5 - expected this to be a nightmare but what a fun lens for around £150-£180

I only have the 9-18 left of the above now, along with 12-40 and 40-150 Pro + TC

I mainly use the 14-42EZ or (to date) the 17mm f2.8
The 40-150 is a great lens.

The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a brilliant lens for substantially less than the 20mm and is reputedly faster to autofocus. It's a bit bigger but not much, depends on your preferred field of view but at £150 new it's hard to resist. I've never had the 20mm to compare it to.

The Olympus f1.8 45mm is a lovely lens but I find I use it less than I expected at 90mm FF equivalence

I recently started adding my lenses to dedicated albums - please excuse if it looks vain - but here are my favourites...

Olympus 17mm f2.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8
Panasonic 25mm f1.7
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW
Olympus 45mm f1.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7E1p)
Olympus 14-42mm EZ
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7oMZ
Olympus 40-150mm
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm13Zpeo

I've recently bought the Olympus f1.8 17mm to upgrade from the f2.8. The f2.8 is a nice lens and couldn't be any smaller or more discreet but I fancied the extra low light capability as this is my most used lens.
So far I really like the f1.8 17mm but I haven't had too much time to play with it - it's the most expensive lens I've bought so far.

Last edited:
So I took the EM1 markii back to the shop after borrowing it for 3 days, very impressed with the camera but unfortunately the weather prevented me being able to get out and about to really see how the camera performs.
Now I'm borrowing the EM5 markii and again first impressions are good and I can't wait to get out and use it properly :)
Just wondered if anyone has taken this camera to Disneyland and if you did were you happy with the results?
Adding another quick photo taken with the EM5ii just after picking it up

IMG_6181.JPG .

Still haven't managed to get out and really test the EM5 Markii, this was taken in my garden with the 12-40mm.

Edited to add it looks far sharper on my computer?

HimFlower.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan.

Best value is of course open for debate. I got all my kit second hand via ffordes or mpb, though you could try https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php also -better vqlue there or here, but you have to be more patient and no warranty.

Personally I have the 12-40 now which I am still getting to grips with but seems great so far (I will move on my panny 25mm 1.4 as a result). I have the 60mm macro which is fantastic, and have just got the 75mm 1.8. The latter is not a focal length for everyone, but I really like that lens, so I now head out with the 12-40 and the 75 which gives me a decent range when out with the family, general walkabout. I generally prefer longer primes though...on my 40d I would use an 85 or 135 more than anything else (and the 85 especially was nice and light). Anyway my walkabout kit is now comparatively light and I am happy with the output from it.

Good luck!

Morning, all, well, having dropped by Nikon D750 and Nikon 24-70 in the sea, irreparable, I decided to move over to Olympus so bought the EM1 Mii with 12-40 and then bought the 40-150. I have to say the build quality is superb and far better than the Nikon. It didn't take long to get to grips with the menu/function buttons. The bokeh is amazing and the quality of the photographs is on par with the Nikon.

Wanted the 7-14 but need to wait a while so bought an adaptor to use my Samyang 14mm and works well.

Anyway, no regrets and looking forward to getting out more.

Cheers all.

What made you change from FF ?

Been thinking about it for a while, weight was one issue. My packed camera bag weighed 2 stone :). Held a few MFTs and they felt really good. Did some research and settled for the OMD. Live composite mode did play a part in the switch as well.

Went out yesterday to Fairburn Ings and my daughter and I did chuckle at toggers lugging their heavy DSLRs about :)

Cheers.

I mainly use the 14-42EZ or (to date) the 17mm f2.8
The 40-150 is a great lens.

The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a brilliant lens for substantially less than the 20mm and is reputedly faster to autofocus. It's a bit bigger but not much, depends on your preferred field of view but at £150 new it's hard to resist. I've never had the 20mm to compare it to.

The Olympus f1.8 45mm is a lovely lens but I find I use it less than I expected at 90mm FF equivalence

I recently started adding my lenses to dedicated albums - please excuse if it looks vain - but here are my favourites...

Olympus 17mm f2.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8
Panasonic 25mm f1.7
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW
Olympus 45mm f1.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7E1p)
Olympus 14-42mm EZ
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7oMZ
Olympus 40-150mm
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm13Zpeo

I've recently bought the Olympus f1.8 17mm to upgrade from the f2.8. The f2.8 is a nice lens and couldn't be any smaller or more discreet but I fancied the extra low light capability as this is my most used lens.
So far I really like the f1.8 17mm but I haven't had too much time to play with it - it's the most expensive lens I've bought so far.

Thank you very much for assigning group photos to a particular lens, it's exactly why I joined a forum as only just started out taking proper photographs and need all the help I can get.
**MOD EDIT**
Trading request removed.

Thanks again for the photo/lens categorisation which makes my lens education a bit easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out yesterday to Fairburn Ings and my daughter and I did chuckle at toggers lugging their heavy DSLRs about :)

There is none so pious as the recently converted :p :D

It's true though, I was in Alaska and had 12-800mm FFE in a small backpack (and two bodies and a laptop) and bumped into one chap who had a backpack way bigger than mine for just his 500mm lens and had to carry a massive tripod too.

I think I did ok, several of these shot at 800mm equivalent and simply wouldn't have been possible without m43 as I wouldn't have been able to get the kit there:

Posing by the falls by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Bald Eagle, Glacier Bay by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Eagle by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Spruce Grouse by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Mummy mountain goat by Ned Awty, on Flickr

It's true though, I was in Alaska and had 12-800mm FFE in a small backpack (and two bodies and a laptop) and bumped into one chap who had a backpack way bigger than mine for just his 500mm lens and had to carry a massive tripod too.

I think I did ok, several of these shot at 800mm equivalent and simply wouldn't have been possible without m43 as I wouldn't have been able to get the kit there:

True, so true :)

#1 and #2 are wonderful The look in the eagle's eye is great and the horizon line works well to frame the eagle.

Cheers.

Morning, all, well, having dropped by Nikon D750 and Nikon 24-70 in the sea, irreparable, I decided to move over to Olympus so bought the EM1 Mii with 12-40 and then bought the 40-150. I have to say the build quality is superb and far better than the Nikon. It didn't take long to get to grips with the menu/function buttons. The bokeh is amazing and the quality of the photographs is on par with the Nikon.

Wanted the 7-14 but need to wait a while so bought an adaptor to use my Samyang 14mm and works well.

Anyway, no regrets and looking forward to getting out more.

Cheers all.
Glad you're happy with the new camera, it's always a trip into the unknown when you swap systems. I agree about the build quality, although I do think the D750 is still very good. Having both systems there's no way the Olympus IQ is on par with the Nikon imo, BUT the difference is not huge in any way and certainly nowhere near the difference in size of the sensor would suggest. It does beg the question whether the size and weight of the Nikon FF system is worth the small IQ difference. If it wasn't for the shallow DOF I like then I would seriously consider ditching my FF.

What great pictures, and what a privilege to see such wonderful animals.

Back