Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi a friend tells me that there has been a recent firmware update for some of the omd cameras has anyone done the update to the OMD-EM5 MKII just wondering what it offers over the existing firmware.
I have only recently started to use my OM5/II due to my health and not finding the menu system very intuitive.
Don’t suppose it has improved the menu system at all ?

EM5ii
05/08/2017 Firmware update Version 3.0
Flash controllers manufactured by Profoto are supported.
Backup of camera settings is possible.
Compensation for mid-range gradation when using Highlight & Shadow Control is possible.
Position of AF target and range of spot metering can be linked.

12/01/2016 Firmware update Version 2.3
Macro Flash STF-8 is supported.
Electronic Flash FL-900R is supported.
Improved stability of exposure when shooting videos.

https://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_mark_ii_downloads.html

Last edited:
Hi a friend tells me that there has been a recent firmware update for some of the omd cameras has anyone done the update to the OMD-EM5 MKII just wondering what it offers over the existing firmware.
I have only recently started to use my OM5/II due to my health and not finding the menu system very intuitive.

The menu system doesn't actually take that long to get used too, despite what people seem to think.

What can get perplexing is when a load of functions are disabled because you've somehow put (for example) colour creator on which means you can't shoot in raw.

EM5ii
Compensation for mid-range gradation when using Highlight & Shadow Control is possible.
Anyone know if the EM1 has these 3 features already as there's no new firmware update?

Thinking of going back to M43, maybe with a EM5 MKII seeing as I used to have a mark 1 hopefully menus should be the same. Keeping my eye out for a good 2nd hand one.

EM5ii

12/01/2016 Firmware update Version 2.3
Macro Flash STF-8 is supported.
Electronic Flash FL-900R is supported.
Improved stability of exposure when shooting videos.

https://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_mark_ii_downloads.html
Thank you for your response and feedback along with the link it is appreciated:)
Time to check the firmware on my camera I think cheers(y)

I upgraded mine - it lost all my previous settings and put some odd ones in making it virtually unusable until I reset them to default, and then reapplied my settings. It was very odd.

All fine again now though - bit of a pain but not the end of the world - I'd certainly backup the settings as above!

Yes but it works. My E-M1 MkII and my Pen-F settings are both backed up using Camera Updater.
For you, maybe. But I have a Ubuntu computer. And Olympus, want everyone to use Windows or Mac to use their cameras. Where other companies can do it via the SD Card. They could also do it via the Android app if they were not so messed up.

Last edited:
For you, maybe. But I have a Ubuntu computer. And Olympus, want everyone to use Windows or Mac to use their cameras. Where other companies can do it via the SD Card.

No offence but Olympus aren't going to spend extra cash for the handful of Linux users (globally speaking).

Dual boot may be your answer?

No offence but Olympus aren't going to spend extra cash for the handful of Linux users (globally speaking).

Dual boot may be your answer?
There are only fewer users 'because' of Olympus, and companies behaving in a similar way. Forcing people to have to change to Windows to use their cameras. They are the 'cause' of the problem. Not reacting to it.

Last edited:
There are only fewer users 'because' of Olympus, and companies behaving in a similar way. Forcing people to have to change to Windows to use their cameras. They are the 'cause' of the problem. Not reacting to it.
As Terry says, dual boot may be your answer.
I ran Ubuntu for a while in dual boot setup, more out of curiosity than anything else. To be fair I couldn't get on with it but it was impressively fast I'll give it that.
Sadly an OS like this will take ages to become anything like mainstream because of the reasons you mentioned (and many others) but then that is a whole new discussion.

Dual boot means paying for windows just for a few minutes use. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

No, there are fewer users because 98% of users can’t be bothered to play with Linux...

To put it in perspective, there are more than double the number of people still using Windows 8.1 compared to every type of Linux on the market.

EADA2543-54_C9-40_D2-9_D23-_A1_CA1_AE6_A136.jpg

Why would any app or program developer want to bother with a small clique of hobbyists, where everything mainstream requires workarounds to function correctly and most Linux users want everything for free?

Is there a Linux version of Photoshop yet?

No, there are fewer users because 98% of users can’t be bothered to play with Linux...

To put it in perspective, there are more than double the number of people still using Windows 8.1 compared to every type of Linux on the market.

EADA2543-54_C9-40_D2-9_D23-_A1_CA1_AE6_A136.jpg

Why would any app or program developer want to bother with a small clique of hobbyists, where everything mainstream requires workarounds to function correctly and most Linux users want everything for free?

Is there a Linux version of Photoshop yet?
Think about it. I've already paid for the Olympus software.

And again, it's a smaller number of users BECAUSE Olympus can't manage their software well. Lots of applications are cross platform without incurring large costs.

They could also use the SD card method that some cameras manufacturers use.

And, if you want companies to behave like this you'll have fewer and fewer options. They could drop Mac support next. Look at the pie chart. Then you'll have NO choice of operating system.

And that's not good for anyone.

Last edited:
Didn’t you get the software free when you bought a camera?

It’s a fact of life, you want to play with Linux you can’t expect the big commercial companies to be too bothered by your requirements.

A Windows licence is fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things, as I said Linux users expect everything free and while that is the Linux sentiment you’ll only get stuff people are willing to give away free.

You didn’t answer, is there a Linux version of Photoshop?

Ubuntu or Linux wouldn't exist without windows or Mac and the average cost of a computer would be in the £thousands, we would still be using BBC basic. For every reason someone doesn't like windows etc there are ten plusses.

Chaps,

So I want to dip my toe into the M43 arena but not spend too much money at the outset.

I already have a Panasonic G3 IR converted camera with the (apparently very good) Panny 14-45mm zoom lens so I only need a 2nd hand body to get going.

Which would you choose and why between:

Panasonic GX7 and Olympus OM1 mk1?

If you have no experience of the Oly then I'll understand you going for the Panny.

I photograph studio stuff (dog and people portraits) and landscape, particularly seascapes and evening stuff. Check out my Flickr site to see what I shoot predominately.

And............................. off you go! (Any help greatly appreciated)

I've put the same post on the Panny owner's thread too.

Chaps,

So I want to dip my toe into the M43 arena but not spend too much money at the outset.

I already have a Panasonic G3 IR converted camera with the (apparently very good) Panny 14-45mm zoom lens so I only need a 2nd hand body to get going.

If you have no experience of the Oly then I'll understand you going for the Panny.

I photograph studio stuff (dog and people portraits) and landscape, particularly seascapes and evening stuff. Check out my Flickr site to see what I shoot predominately.

I've had the GX7 and the OM1 briefly. I found the GX7 slightly unwieldy due to the articulating EVF getting caught on my clothes during hikes and I developed OCD about damaging it. However I far preferred the overall feel of it in the hand. The OM1 felt a little large given the features it brought to the table. Would it be worth having a look at the EM5 Mk II as I found that the best compromise between the two (although I will admit to being a Panny menu system fanboy)!

I've had the GX7 and the OM1 briefly. I found the GX7 slightly unwieldy due to the articulating EVF getting caught on my clothes during hikes and I developed OCD about damaging it. However I far preferred the overall feel of it in the hand. The OM1 felt a little large given the features it brought to the table. Would it be worth having a look at the EM5 Mk II as I found that the best compromise between the two (although I will admit to being a Panny menu system fanboy)!

Thanks Joe,

A friend of mine has bought the EM5 mk2 but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand body for little cash to try M43 out first before I splurge out too much money.

The features of the EM5 mk2 are what I want really tbh.

Thanks Joe,

A friend of mine has bought the EM5 mk2 but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand body for little cash to try M43 out first before I splurge out too much money.

The features of the EM5 mk2 are what I want really tbh.

Ah well if it helps, I found the EM5 2 the most missed of my m4/3 bodies (and I've had tons of them). It's been the most used camera I ever had. I only sold this year as times were hard and I needed a holiday. Using the fiance's epl7 has been killing me since!

Ah well if it helps, I found the EM5 2 the most missed of my m4/3 bodies (and I've had tons of them). It's been the most used camera I ever had. I only sold this year as times were hard and I needed a holiday. Using the fiance's epl7 has been killing me since!
I had the EM5 MKI, which was one of my favourite cameras, I was looking to give the MKII a go, but they don't come up on here very often.

The E-M5 MkII is a fantastic camera, I recently sold mine (mint and black) to fund my Pen-F to 'prime' partner my E-M1 MkII and Pro zooms.
I'm still wondering if I did the right thing :( Not that the Pen-F isn't great too but the E-M5 MKII is such a solid well constructed timepiece of a camera IMHO.

Chaps,

I assume you mean the EM1 not OM1? ;)

I would personally choose the EM1, which I did. Couple of main reasons for me. I prefer it ergonomically, and the EVF is bigger and clearer. Also, I'm one of the ones affected by the rainbow tearing effect of the GX7 (this doesn't affect many). The Olly then has a better AF system, more fps and is weather sealed which the Panny isn't. A used EM1 is an absolute bargain imo.

For what it's worth I prefer the EM1 to the EM5-II, but love(d) both. The main reason is the ergonomics when using the 12-40mm f2.8 which is my most used lens for my Olly.

Last edited:
Thanks Toby, Steve, Huw & Joe.

I've certainly got some info to chew on now.

And yes Toby, I want the 12-40mm f2.8 as well which is why I'm interested in the EM5 mk2 kit for £1249 at the moment. That's a great deal on a great lens and body.

If you're willing to consider grey from a bricks and mortar UK based seller, HDEW have the E-M5 MkII & 12-40 kit for £1019 and they offer three year warranty on the camera body.
I've no connection with them other than having purchased from them in the past.

What are peoples thoughts on the Oly 12-40 2.8 or the Panny 12-35 2.8. It seems the Panasonic is smaller and lighter, I was just wondering by how much?

Very little in it, for an Oly body I think I would opt for the Oly 12-40, the Panasonic's OIS isn't going to make any difference

Time for a wanted thread I think :)

Back