Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hope you don’t mind me suggesting this but could you claim on your home contents insurance as it was accidental damage? I once dropped a lens into a river and claimed on mine successfully as I had damage outside of the home cover and it was a claim under £1000.
If you’ve got a decent policy which covers personal possessions and all risks you should be ok. Good luck anyway and I hope you get a positive response.
I've claimed on a home contents insurance for named items. Where I've listed the serial numbers beforehand. I dropped bag containing an expensive lens, and, separately, slipped on wet grass with a camera in my hand. Which hit a rock. The items were replaced with new ones.

This is being payed for by my home insurance after ironing out a little mistake on the insurance company system. Now to sort my insurance properly.

I will be posting it off tomorrow.

This is being payed for by my home insurance after ironing out a little mistake on the insurance company system. Now to sort my insurance properly.

I will be posting it off tomorrow.
That’s brilliant news Alf, I’m glad you got it sorted by the insurance company. You’ll soon be up and running again :)

Got my first M43 today, EM5II with the 12-40 lens. Nothing terribly exciting done yet, below is one of my test photos of a doorknob, completely unedited beyond resizing. An outing to Cambridge botanical gardens is planned over the weekend though...

doorknob.jpg

What lens/es did you get to go with?

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Compact System Camera in Silver with 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses

Jessops gave me 420 for a macro lens I had. So I bought the above package, and a Vanguard bag for my wife. They also gave me a discount as I traded something in. I handed over 170.
I now have funds for a prime. What do you suggest? I'd like a macro and a everyday walkabout prime.

I now have funds for a prime. What do you suggest? I'd like a macro and a everyday walkabout prime.

For walkabout prime I'd choose the Olympus 17mm f1.8 if funds allow, the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 if money is tighter or the Olympus 17mm f2.8 (used)

Can't help you with Macro other than I got some FOTGA tubes and after a few tests decided I was glad I hadn't spent a lot of money on a real macro lens :)

I've been shooting with an E-M10 and recently moved to the Mkii - pictures on Flickr, link in the sig. I have my stuff in albums based on the body and lens so you can see what I've shot with the lenses I suggested above.

Last edited:
For walkabout prime I'd choose the Olympus 17mm f1.8 if funds allow, the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 if money is tighter or the Olympus 17mm f2.8 (used)

Can't help you with Macro other than I bot some FOTGA tubes and after a few tests decided I was glad I hadn't spent a lot of money on a real macro lens :)

I've been shooting with an E-M10 and recently moved to the Mkii - pictures on Flickr, link in the sig. I have my stuff in albums based on the body and lens so you can see what I've shot with the lenses I suggested above.

I've looked at your flickr albums before and have just done so again :)

Thanks for the help

Has anyone got the Sigma 30mm 2.8? I loved the 60mm one and wondered if the 30mm would be as good on this new camera?

Has anyone got the Sigma 30mm 2.8? I loved the 60mm one and wondered if the 30mm would be as good on this new camera?

The 30mm is apparently a very sharp lens, most macro lenses are but I've seen a few reviews where it was claimed the 30mm is sharper than the 60mm . The problem with the 30 is the working distance at 1:1, you will be merely a few centimetres from your subject, which makes it not so ideal for bugs or anything easily scared off. I was after a macro myself but ended up getting a Raynox 250 macro attachment that works great with longer lenses. If I was to buy a dedicated macro lens I would either get the 60mm, or buy an old Nikon 60 or 105mm macro lens and an adapter. For macro you will manual focus mostly, if not all the time anyway. Though having AF is nice if you wish to use the lens for other purposes too, like portraiture or landscape. The 60mm is the best bet on that case.

Did you mean the 30mm F2.8 EX DN non macro lens? I've got both the 19mm and 30mm Sigma EX DN lenses, I find I don't use the 30mm lens much these days since I got the Lumix 25mm, which I prefer for the normal field of view and wider aperture. There is no denying both the 19mm and 30mm lenses in question are indeed, very sharp. I was tempted to get the 60mm Sigma EX DN, but always considered that one day I would aquire the Olympus 60mm macro lens which would do both macro and normal 60mm shots, again making the Sigma 60mm redundant.

The 30mm is apparently a very sharp lens, most macro lenses are but I've seen a few reviews where it was claimed the 30mm is sharper than the 60mm . The problem with the 30 is the working distance at 1:1, you will be merely a few centimetres from your subject, which makes it not so ideal for bugs or anything easily scared off. I was after a macro myself but ended up getting a Raynox 250 macro attachment that works great with longer lenses. If I was to buy a dedicated macro lens I would either get the 60mm, or buy an old Nikon 60 or 105mm macro lens and an adapter. For macro you will manual focus mostly, if not all the time anyway. Though having AF is nice if you wish to use the lens for other purposes too, like portraiture or landscape. The 60mm is the best bet on that case.

I was just playing with the 60mm macro lens. Will look at the photos in a min

Did you mean the 30mm F2.8 EX DN non macro lens? I've got both the 19mm and 30mm Sigma EX DN lenses, I find I don't use the 30mm lens much these days since I got the Lumix 25mm, which I prefer for the normal field of view and wider aperture. There is no denying both the 19mm and 30mm lenses in question are indeed, very sharp. I was tempted to get the 60mm Sigma EX DN, but always considered that one day I would aquire the Olympus 60mm macro lens which would do both macro and normal 60mm shots, again making the Sigma 60mm redundant.

That's the lens I was on about. 30mm prime non macro (£150). I'm trying to find out now if it is better that the Panasonic 25mm for the same price.

Well this is what it is costing for my Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4. I am annoyed as the I was told a different price £60 less that this.

Work Required:

Replacement lens required damaged.

=========================================================================

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £30.00

Parts : £570.12

p&p : £9.00

Total : £609.12 exc vat

vat : £121.82

Less deposit/payment : -£0.00

-----------

Balance req : £730.94

-----------

Well this is what it is costing for my Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4. I am annoyed as the I was told a different price £60 less that this.

Work Required:

Replacement lens required damaged.

=========================================================================

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £30.00

Parts : £570.12

p&p : £9.00

Total : £609.12 exc vat

vat : £121.82

Less deposit/payment : -£0.00

-----------

Balance req : £730.94

-----------
Well that's a new lens then Alf?

I am thinking of getting the 14-42 ez as a light walk about,the 17 is on the radar at some point but im thinkin the kit lens would be useful for variety in decent light?
Any thoughts?
Also 25 1.7 panny as an alterntive to the 17mm.i like 35mm equiv but im not fussed on 50mm either,is the 17mm faster to focus and whats the rendition like on both.
Any quirks on the oly body with the pany lens?
Thnks

That's the lens I was on about. 30mm prime non macro (£150). I'm trying to find out now if it is better that the Panasonic 25mm for the same price.

Ah, my bad, I saw macro and 30mm and brain farted :LOL: I have the Panasonic 25 1.7, it's a little cracker, I've used it on both an em5 and the Panasonic G80. I find it nice and sharp even wide open, it focuses quick and silent and it focuses nice and close too, making it a cinch to achieve shallow DOF. I've not tried the Sigma, but I think if I was going to buy one of their lenses I'd look to the 1.4, it is £100 or so more, but I think it would be worth it in the long run over the 2.8

I am thinking of getting the 14-42 ez as a light walk about,the 17 is on the radar at some point but im thinkin the kit lens would be useful for variety in decent light?
Any thoughts?
Also 25 1.7 panny as an alterntive to the 17mm.i like 35mm equiv but im not fussed on 50mm either,is the 17mm faster to focus and whats the rendition like on both.
Thnks
14-42mm is a decent lens, sharp enough. Just whether 28mm eq is wide enough for you and you're happy with a power zoom rather than manual.

About my 5th photo taken with the new camera. This little birdie comes and takes food out my hand so it is used of me with a camera in its face :)
It was taken with the zoom lens that came with it.
A bit of a crop and a bit of photoshop involved.

f6.3
250 sec
iso 400
114mm
My Little Friend by Skyline:), on Flickr

Any thoughts?
Thnks

I like mine for when I want to be able to put the E-M5ii in a coat pocket

The 12-50 is quite good too

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

1 & 5 comparison by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Gripped E-EM1 compared to a non gripped E-M5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I also use the 9-18mm as a walkaround lens

E-M5II compared to OM2sp 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Any thoughts?
Thnks
I have the 14-42 EZ as part of my E-M10 kit. I kept it when I got the Mkii as it's very handy.
It's pretty capable in most light but obviously indoors in low light you're relying on stabilisation and if your subject is moving you need something faster.
I used it most of time as my walkabout in Amsterdam in January, switching to a prime indoors.
The only drawback for me is the power zoom - it takes a moment to extend after switch on and you have to choose between accurate control of the zoom and the speed which it goes from near to far. It's not a really big issue, I think I notice it more because I tend to shoot with primes that are ready instantly when the camera is on.
As it's very small I find I sometimes catch the focus ring when I'm trying to zoom while wearing gloves (in Amsterdam in January for instance) again it's not a massive issue but it's a function of the very small lens barrel which is also the attraction of the lens! ;)

I also have the earlier 14-42 II R from my E-PL5. This is a bigger but it "locks" into a small enough size - as it's manual zoom, a quick twist and it's ready to go and you can move the zoom as fast or as slow as you can move your hand. The focus ring and zoom control are further apart. It's better handling but larger in size. Still very light.

I like both lenses and would recommend either as a good buy used. I don't think there's a lot to choose between them in image quality but then I'm not a pixel peeper and I can usually see technique problems in my shots before I can blame the lens or body ;)
If you're not obsessed with the smallest possible size then the II R is a very good bet used for substantially less money.
e.g. http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/61850/olympus-m-zuiko-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-ii-r

Note MPB seems a bit confused between the two 14-42mm Olympus lenses and are pricing the cheaper one with the more expensive one :eek: - shame it's not the other way around ;)
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...nses/olympus-m-zuiko-ed-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-ez/

The Olympus 17mm f1.8 is a lovely lens - the focus "clutch" with peaking is enjoyable to use. It's my favourite lens by a stretch.
The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is also a great lens - no quirks on either of my Olympus bodies.
I can't say I've noticed either is faster than the other to focus - neither is slow enough for me to notice in use. I don't shoot a lot of fast moving things at those focal lengths though.

Finally I have the 17mm Olympus f2.8 - it's as small as the EZ - this was my previous favourite lens which is why I upgraded to the f1.8
Mine is sitting unused on my desk so I put it up for sale over at AVForums and E-Group. It's still available if you were interested :)

(As I've bored people before) you can see what I've shot with them all in my Flickr albums but there are tonnes of other (better) examples out there too :)

I prefer the 35mm (ish) focal length to the 50mm (ish) focal length for a walkabout.

If size matters this shows you all of the lenses I've mentioned.
http://j.mp/2G46dF7

what about the P12-32, Chris ? I found it sharp and accurate - sometimes the extra width was helpful although i appreciate you may need more length :naughty:

just wondering if getting the 20mm 1.7 penny would work instead of 17 and 50 ,is it very slow AF?

I had the Panasonic 20 f/1.7 MkI - it was sharp but slow to focus - the Olympus 17 f/1.8 is much faster. If you can afford it I would go with the Olympus over the Panasonic.

Olympus om-d e-m10 mark ii.

When I take a photo, I half press, them press right down. After this these is a second or so when it's not ready to take another. Can I turn this off so it's instantly ready, or is this just the norm for the camera?

When I take a photo, I half press, them press right down. After this these is a second or so when it's not ready to take another. Can I turn this off so it's instantly ready, or is this just the norm for the camera?

The camera is writing the file, wait.

Ok, ta. I was trying to get some duck shots as practice today. After a click I wanted to take another straight away but it won't allow me.
Sounds like you have preview/review activated which shows you the last image that you took. You can change the time the image review shows or turn it off altogether. I have it off, I don't want to chimp every shot ;)

Sounds like you have preview/review activated which shows you the last image that you took. You can change the time the image review shows or turn it off altogether. I have it off, I don't want to chimp every shot ;)

Where is off? My eyes are bleeding reading the manual :LOL:

On my travels around the camera and manual I've seen something called 'release lag time'. Can't see what that does. Oh the joy of a new toy :)

Where is off? My eyes are bleeding reading the manual :LOL:

On my travels around the camera and manual I've seen something called 'release lag time'. Can't see what that does. Oh the joy of a new toy :)
Olympus manuals aren't great tbh. Whenever I get a new camera I tend to go through every menu function and see what each does. Sad but true ;)

You need to go to the spanner menu and set Rec View Off.

Back