Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I studied the spec on the G9 V EM1MK11, then tossed a coin.:D

If i had been keeping the 100-400 it would have been the G9 but as i knew my ownership of that lens would soon end i felt it didn't matter.

The thing to remember is that if you buy a Panasonic body you only get the good DFD AF with Panasonic lenses whereas Olympus phase detect AF will work with any lens.

So what you do really depends on what lenses you have/want.

Why wouldn't you use the 100-400 with the em1?

I was at the stage in my thinking that DFD with a pannylens could have the edge on speed and accuracy,not sure i was right though but i only had the 100-400 with the Olympus for a short while.

I was at the stage in my thinking that DFD with a pannylens could have the edge on speed and accuracy,not sure i was right though but i only had the 100-400 with the Olympus for a short while.
Ok
Did the 100-400 perform ok with the Olympus?

The short time i had it with the Olympus yes, i did have to do some AF fine tune but it was simple and only at 400mm.
how can you fine tune a mirrorless lens/body mike?

how can you fine tune a mirrorless lens/body mike?

Olympus use PDAF for C-AF and unlike CDAF that they use for S-AF it can need tuning, no big deal though it took me about 5 min.

The only advantage I can think of for PDAF is if you want to adapt old Four Thirds lenses, and only the EM1 twins have it. Just in case anyone thinks they will get it on all Oly bodies, nope, only the EM1 bodies.

Strangely, one of the popular lenses to adapt is the old 14-54 2.8 - 3.5 mkII, and that one actually works better with CDAF

Last edited:
The only advantage I can think of for PDAF is if you want to adapt old Four Thirds lenses, and only the EM1 twins have it. Just in case anyone thinks they will get it on all Oly bodies, nope, only the EM1 bodies.

Strangely, one of the popular lenses to adapt is the old 14-54 2.8 - 3.5 mkII, and that one actually works better with CDAF

A bit more to it than that, with Olympus not having any form of DFD PDAF is needed for C-AF, thats why the other bodies apart from the 1 seriers suck at C-AF,any time you select C-AF with any lens the 1 OMs change to PDAF.

I want one of these for chasing waders:D

27984842737_08cebb2ef7_c.jpg

All very confusing to a o.a.p ,just gotta take your word for it :popcorn::popcorn:

Nicely done, what flash set up are you using?
I use a small meke mk300 flash diffused or a godox tt685 diffused normally, it was the meke for these shots I think. Sorry for the late reply I've been busy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Got all my old 4/3 lenses working quite nicely on the Pen-f, probably faster focusing than the E-410 that they were on.

Got all my old 4/3 lenses working quite nicely on the Pen-f, probably faster focusing than the E-410 that they were on.

Nice, what OM lenses would you recommend? The G80 should handle them alright

Nice, what OM lenses would you recommend? The G80 should handle them alright

They aren't OM lenses, they are the 4/3 lenses, the OM lenses I think of as the ones that fit the OM1/2 cameras.

The lenses I had to play with from my E-410 are the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 Zuiko Digital Macro, and the kit lens Olympus Digital 4-5.6/40-150 ED. Didn't bother with the kit 17.5-45.
The macro lens is pretty good but being a 35mm the distance to subject can get pretty close so tends to scare insects off. And on fast movers like bumblebees has no chance. Good for still subjects tho and can be had at a reasonable price from some places.
The 40-150 is handy to have in my pocket and I don't worry about damaging an expensive lens.

I have been having a look at some of the better old 4/3 lenses and they still command very high prices.

I'm still waiting for my OM to M4/3 adapter on the slow boat from China, so I won't have to use an OM to 4/3 to M4/3 setup.

They aren't OM lenses, they are the 4/3 lenses, the OM lenses I think of as the ones that fit the OM1/2 cameras.

The lenses I had to play with from my E-410 are the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 Zuiko Digital Macro, and the kit lens Olympus Digital 4-5.6/40-150 ED. Didn't bother with the kit 17.5-45.
The macro lens is pretty good but being a 35mm the distance to subject can get pretty close so tends to scare insects off. And on fast movers like bumblebees has no chance. Good for still subjects tho and can be had at a reasonable price from some places.
The 40-150 is handy to have in my pocket and I don't worry about damaging an expensive lens.

I have been having a look at some of the better old 4/3 lenses and they still command very high prices.

I'm still waiting for my OM to M4/3 adapter on the slow boat from China, so I won't have to use an OM to 4/3 to M4/3 setup.

Yeah sorry, it's 4/3 I was thinking. I have eyed up the 14-54 2.8 - 3.5 for one, I don't know what other lenses are supposed to be good, think there's a decent UWA too? I wonder how well they would perform on a Panasonic body, G80 in my case

Yeah sorry, it's 4/3 I was thinking. I have eyed up the 14-54 2.8 - 3.5 for one, I don't know what other lenses are supposed to be good, think there's a decent UWA too? I wonder how well they would perform on a Panasonic body, G80 in my case

Badly I expect, the old 4/3 lenses tended to need phase detection to make the AF work (something to do with the motors in the lens).

Does the om1-mk1 have phase detection a/f ,still wondering about getting one

Using the EM1 Mk2 at an Oval track event my son competes in, created a pre-set using sequential low @ 10fps with electronic shutter, I know it can go faster but 10fps is still pretty insane and who wants to sift through 3,000 photos at the end of the day when you can sift through 2,000, like I did yesterday!

Notice the fencing posts in the background, they're not really leaning like that.

The "Race Control" building isn't the leaning tower of Pisa either.

Rolling shutter effect at 10fps electronic shutter, guess I need to switch to mechanical !!

the only "good" thing about this is that its much better than the e-m1.1 - rolling shutter on that was shocking

Back