Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
I was reading my manual looking at flash and came accross a confusing line, anyone else see what I mean? :confused:

"Other external flash units
Note the following when using a third-party flash unit mounted on the camera hot shoe:
• Using obsolete flash units that apply currents of more than about 250 V to the X-contact
will damage the camera."

I was reading my manual looking at flash and came accross a confusing line, anyone else see what I mean? :confused:

Note the following when using a third-party flash unit mounted on the camera hot shoe:
• Using obsolete flash units that apply currents of more than about 250 V to the X-contact
will damage the camera."

They’re probably referencing flashes like the old Vivitar 283’s. They will fry your circuitry.

will damage the camera."
It makes sense other than they're using current and voltage as the same thing. It should say "that apply voltage of more than 250V" imo.

Beautiful pair, nicely shot.

We have a pair that hang about our garden too [actually seems to be a bit of a threesome, 2 male, one female] - we've nick named one of the males 'Bwian' - fecker never shuts up moaning and I just like shouting "Cheer up Bwian!" out the kitchen window :D
Guess what my father-in-law is called, and just how appropriate is this..!

Just recently I've been trying to photograph the bees in my garden. I am using an EM10 mkii with the Oly 14-150mm f4-5.6 lens and a 16mm extension tube.
This is the best I have been able to achieve so far. Have I hit the limits of what I can expect to achieve with the equipment I have got, or am I still some way off with my technique?

Bee134 by Paul G, on Flickr

Last edited:
The first is fab :D

Really good - very sharp. To be honest, I’ve been away on business so much since it arrived that I’ve hardly had the time to use it

I have fond memories of it when I had a e-m1 which is why I wanted another. That, the P12-32 and e-m10 mk2 all fit in a very small bag so it’s my travel companion [emoji3]

Have just taken the plunge on the Panny 100-400mm - arrives tomorrow. :)

Will be on the EM5MkII so will see how it gets on as most people seem to use it with a Panny body or the EM1mkII.

Have just taken the plunge on the Panny 100-400mm - arrives tomorrow. :)

Will be on the EM5MkII so will see how it gets on as most people seem to use it with a Panny body or the EM1mkII.

Nice one, the chances are you will not have a usable C-AF but i used one on my EM10MK11 on S-AF , if you want action shots you may have to pump the shutter in S-AF.

Nice one, the chances are you will not have a usable C-AF but i used one on my EM10MK11 on S-AF , if you want action shots you may have to pump the shutter in S-AF.

Thanks Mike - I think C-AF is a no go generally, and certainly for BIF, on the EM5. Am very much looking forward to having an effective 3 lens solution of the 12-40, 60mm Macro and the 100-400.

I have the 75mm that I think I will sell for help pay for the 100-400 (though it is lovely), as well as shifting some of my Canon kit that I've not touched in ages now. I also have the 'kit' 40-150 which I may keep as a very light take anywhere lens - that and the 60mm Macro hardly with anything.

Went to a wedding at the weekend as a guest and tried to get some documentary style shots.

That postie won't be smiling when he realises the vicar just stole his bike.

Vicar by ImageMaker, on Flickr

That child isn't happy, probably fed up with having a camera pointed at her.

Nat & Rhiannon by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Caught the best man trying to bribe a pageboy to do his speech for him

Alfie 1 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Back