Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Are you after portable or something hold with a big lens for a while

Bit of a mixture ( maybe )....my Nikon set up is a d500, a d600, 16-80 f2.8-f4, 24-120 f4, 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 70-300

The 24-120 would go as it’s just not used

Guess it depends what combo your are looking for EM 1 mark 2 £762 on the grey market thereafter whatever lens required for your main interest I guess

No one particular subject. Car meets ( and drives ), holidays, daily wanders.. no people stuff really as my kids don’t tolerate me so much anymore

In the past, I have had

Samyang 7.5 FE
Olympus 9-18
Panasonic 12-32 x 2
Panasonic 12-35 f2.8
Olympus 12-40 f2.8
Olympus 14-42 EZ
Panasonic 20 f1.7 x 2
Panasonic 25 f1.4
Olympus 25 f1.8
Sigma 30 f1.4
Panasonic 35-100 f2.8
Olympus 40-150 f2.8 + TC
Olympus 45 f1.8
Olympus 60 f2.8
Olympus 75-300

E-m10 mk1 and mk2, e-m1.1..

That might be all... or maybe not ..

Last edited:
If you were starting again and had a £1500 budget ( and are happy to buy used or grey ), what would you buy ? Body and lens(es)..

Am considering selling some of my not often used Nikon gear...
Are you just looking for m4/3 recommendations or any?

Bit of a mixture ( maybe )....my Nikon set up is a d500, a d600, 16-80 f2.8-f4, 24-120 f4, 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 70-300

The 24-120 would go as it’s just not used
Surely you’d get more than £1500 for this lot? Or are you looking for something alongside it?

Surely you’d get more than £1500 for this lot? Or are you looking for something alongside it?
I don’t think he’s looking to sell all his Nikon gear just the bits which get little use.

No one particular subject. Car meets ( and drives ), holidays, daily wanders.. no people stuff really as my kids don’t tolerate me so much anymore
The 12-100 would be good choice for the uses you have in mind bit more reach than the 12-40 and can be handheld down to ridiculous shutter speeds

I have the lens really good walk around lens currently between £675 used to £750 new or maybe another alternative is 12-40 pro used £400ish and 40-150 non pro for £180 new

I have tended to stick to best glass rule whenever financially possible and Olympus pro lens are very good the focal lengths are different from the other big guns 40-150 pro is a stunning lens

Last edited:
The 12-100 would be good choice for the uses you have in mind bit more reach than the 12-40 and can be handheld down to ridiculous shutter speeds

I have the lens really good walk around lens currently between £675 used to £750 new or maybe another alternative is 12-40 pro used £400ish and 40-150 non pro for £180 new

I have tended to stick to best glass rule whenever financially possible and Olympus pro lens are very good the focal lengths are different from the other big guns 40-150 pro is a stunning lens

that’s good to know, Terry. Is the 12-100 sharp ? I ask as I’ve seen a few reviews about lack of edge / corner sharpness although the large majority say it’s excellent So I have been looking at it along with maybe one or two small lenses

that’s good to know, Terry. Is the 12-100 sharp ? I ask as I’ve seen a few reviews about lack of edge / corner sharpness although the large majority say it’s excellent So I have been looking at it along with maybe one or two small lenses

Hi Damian I have not really noticed any issues with sharpness but then again I do not pixel peep much. I travel abroad (when not locked down!) on holiday and this is the only lens I normally take plus a travel tripod and this pretty much covers me given your interest in car photography motion blur is a breeze. I also intend to take the EM2 with the 12-100 as my go to wild camping kit

Here is a very honest review
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tfno8xhLEc

Plus Peter!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-tgzcD9yOs

Yes, body and lens as I have no m43 gear. I'm in no hurry but have been out of the loop for a while ( last m43 camera was the e-m10.2 is 2018 ) so i'm researching.

The e-m1.2 seems like a good bet - I had the 1.1 and had some good results but the d500 edged the 1.2 a few years back. The d500 is staying BTW :love:. I know i want great AF so the lower models in the range probably won't suit unless they've moved on substantially since my last dabble

Last edited:
Yes, body and lens as I have no m43 gear. I'm in no hurry but have been out of the loop for a while ( last m43 camera was the e-m10.2 is 2018 ) so i'm researching.

The e-m1.2 seems like a good bet - I had the 1.1 and had some good results but the d500 edged the 1.2 a few years back. The d500 is stying BTW :love:. I know i want great AF so the lower models in the range probably won't suit unless they've moved on substantially since my last dabble
I have just ordered a 1.2 as I have decided I need bettervAF. I tested a 5.3 instore and the AF on that was great and with the 12-45f4 it would make a great travel combo

Last edited:

The e-m1.2 seems like a good bet - I had the 1.1 and had some good results but the d500 edged the 1.2 a few years back. The d500 is staying BTW :love:. I know i want great AF so the lower models in the range probably won't suit unless they've moved on substantially since my last dabble
Not sure what you're wanting to shoot, but if it's just general stuff then the EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 would be my recommendation, great combo. The EM1-II won't be up to D500 class in AF, but it's not a million miles away. It coped with everything I threw at it, for whatever that's worth ;)

Tbh, I don’t use the Nikons very often as my 16 year old has nicked them on what appears to be a permanent basis...

To me, the Nikons are a tool for the job rather than something I enjoy using if that makes sense ?

Tbh, I don’t use the Nikons very often as my 16 year old has nicked them on what appears to be a permanent basis...

To me, the Nikons are a tool for the job rather than something I enjoy using if that makes sense ?
I know what you mean, I gelled with the D750 but just didn't 'feel' the D850. Olympus have always been a joy to use (imo), but I have to admit I'm really enjoying the Sony :eek:

I used to love my x100T even though it’s got so many flaws on paper you should never buy it really

Looks nice and healthy though out in daylight (6:15pm) does seem a tad unusual..........................hopefully will breed this year as we need all the hedgies we can get :)
We have had a couple in our garden we put mealworms down for birds and the hedgehogs love them. We had two side by side eating while we were in the garden having a drink.

Last edited:
Compatibility question ,does anyone on here use a Godox tt350o flash gun with a Olympus omd1.mkii ... having trouble finding out whether it will work or not ???

according to amazon u.k it is but rather hear from users I trust

Last edited:
Compatibility question ,does anyone on here use a Godox tt350o flash gun with a Olympus omd1.mkii ... having trouble finding out whether it will work or not ???

According to the 'horses mouth' it does seem to be OK
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Mini_Camera_Flash_TT350o.html

Products_Mini_Camera_Flash_TT350o_07.jpg

Ah!!!! they show the mk variants for the M10 and M5 but not the M1 ??? Not sure what to make of that now??? Perhaps best to email Godox?

Edit ~ preview shows the image but the actual post leaves only an X'ed placeholder..................................but on the webpage about 2/3 way down is the graphic and notes re: compatible models :)

Last edited:
The manual says this, I have made bold what might be seen as the relevant part (caveat emptor, perhaps) :-

Compatible Camera Models
This flash unit can be used on the following camera models:
Olympus: E-M10II, E-M5II, E-M1, E-PL8, E-PL7, E-PL6,E-PL5, E-P5, E-P3, PEN-F
Panasonic: DMC-GX85, DMC-G7, DMC-GF1, DMC-LX100, DMC-G85

● This table only lists the tested camera models, not all Olympus/Panasonic cameras. For the compatibility of other camera models, a self-test is recommended.
● Rights to modify this table are retained.
● Note: With the Panasonic cameras in wireless control mode, the High-Speed Sync may not sync fire.

which is why i'm being careful the flash hot shoe on the em1 and em1-mkii are totally different .. I already have flash guns both normal and ring flash that that work on the mk1 but NOT on the mk2

which is why i'm being careful the flash hot shoe on the em1 and em1-mkii are totally different .. I already have flash guns both normal and ring flash that that work on the mk1 but NOT on the mk2
I have just ordered a second hand mk2
Which do not work?
I will be OK my main user is now my ST-8
but I have a couple of Nissin flashes

I have just ordered a 1.2 as I have decided I need bettervAF. I tested a 5.3 instore and tge AF on tgat was great and with the 12-45f4 it would make a great travel combo
What did you think of the MkIII in hand, similar to the MKII? You think af as good as EM1.2?

Hi Jeff I am waiting for delivery from eBay of the Godox along with the Godox trigger will let you know if it works[emoji848] with my mark 2 bought it to go with 60 mm macro will post my findings

cheers Terry , just dont want to lay out on something that may or may not work

I have just ordered a second hand mk2
Which do not work?
I will be OK my main user is now my ST-8
but I have a couple of Nissin flashes
again be interesting to know if your Nissin ones work on it alf .I have a super NEEWER flash for nikon that works fine on the mk1 and also a generic ring flash that works fine but neither work on the mkii ... I can use the neewer one as a slave and fire it via the micro flash but would rather have a fully working one

again be interesting to know if your Nissin ones work on it alf .I have a super NEEWER flash for nikon that works fine on the mk1 and also a generic ring flash that works fine but neither work on the mkii ... I can use the neewer one as a slave and fire it via the micro flash but would rather have a fully working one
From what I know the extra contact on the newer cameras stops other brands from working 4/3 stuff like my Nissins should be good.

Last edited:
Back