Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Am I glad I changed my faulty E-M5 at Jessops on Tuesday. One more day and I would have been stuffed.

The new one seems somehow newer than the old one in the sense that it had more wrapping. Blue plastic stuff around the lens and sticky plastic on the rear LCD. The old faulty one didn't have any of that. Makes me wonder, along the damaged box, whether the first one was some sort of return or a refurb, or something else dodgy.

Anyway it's done now (and Jessops deserved everything they got for years of customer neglect and misdirection - though I do feel sorry for the staff).

Well there you go, just in time and it sounds like the first one was used to demo maybe as mine came fully wrapped in the blue plastic also. Glad you got it sorted.

The new one seems somehow newer than the old one in the sense that it had more wrapping. Blue plastic stuff around the lens and sticky plastic on the rear LCD. The old faulty one didn't have any of that. Makes me wonder, along the damaged box, whether the first one was some sort of return or a refurb, or something else dodgy.

I would say you're pretty spot on with your suspicions there. At they very least it may have been one that the shop had out of the box to show an interested customer.

Have just received the free 45/1.8 as outlined in the E-M5 offer that ended on 31/12. Absolutely lovely, tiny little portrait lens. Superb OOF.

It is silver though. Looks odd on a black camera. Mustn't complain.

Have just received the free 45/1.8 as outlined in the E-M5 offer that ended on 31/12. Absolutely lovely, tiny little portrait lens. Superb OOF.

It is silver though. Looks odd on a black camera. Mustn't complain.

Yep a super little silver lens, if the silver does bother you don't get the 75mm f1.8, it is a lot bigger but truly stunning. Enjoy the 45mm ;)

Just got my quote for repairing my EM-5 after dropping it before Christmas. The 'power electronic assembly' needs attention at a cost of £168.26. Could be worse. Oddly, I sent the camera to Nottingham and the quote came from Southend :thinking:

I'll keep you informed of progress.

Just got my quote for repairing my EM-5 after dropping it before Christmas. The 'power electronic assembly' needs attention at a cost of £168.26. Could be worse. Oddly, I sent the camera to Nottingham and the quote came from Southend :thinking:

I'll keep you informed of progress.

That doesn't sound too bad looking at the damage from your post.
Mine is off to Olympus Service Facility Portugal, they said it will take a week and it is suppose to be off to day if the courier gets here to pick it up.

Anyone else having a problem getting on e-group.uk.net? Seems to have been down since yesterday evening.

It's working fine for me, and was also working a little after midnight last night.

Thanks for the replies, all very strange then. I still cant access the site via Chrome Opera or Windows explorer :shrug:
Seemed to happen after I tried to post a message with some offsite linked images last night.

Out in the snow for a walk and found this place

Winterinthewoods_resized_zps732b051e.jpg

Taken with the Pana 12-35mm, removed the PF in Lightroom and a few tweeks in Elements. Shot in raw which is a first for me with this camera.

Just got my EM-5 back from the service centre in Lisbon. It was collected by DHL yesterday at 5 o' clock and went via Belgium and East Midlands airport overnight and arrived at my home in Scotland at 11:15 this morning.

The camera is like new, not a mark on it. The have replaced the screen, that had the hairline crack, the top plate and hotshoe are new and the eyecup has been replaced ( the rubber was peeling off the original). The firmware has been updated to 1.5 too. I had to check the serial number to be sure it is the same camera. I'll post before and after pics later. I'm really chuffed! :D:

Last edited:
Just got my EM-5 back from the service centre in Lisbon. It was collected by DHL yesterday at 5 o' clock and went via Belgium and East Midlands airport overnight and arrived at my home in Scotland at 11:15 this morning.

The camera is like new, not a mark on it. The have replaced the screen, that had the hairline crack, the top plate and hotshoe are new and the eyecup has been replaced ( the rubber was peeling off the original). The firmware has been updated to 1.5 too. I had to check the serial number to be sure it is the same camera. I'll post before and after pics later. I'm really chuffed! :D:

Mine went yesterday at 1.25 pm and just checked the tracking and it arrived and was signed for at 11.28am in the Portugal service centre. That really is a quick service by DHL. Hopefully it will get a better clean this time and will have a speedy return. Hope yours is all ok now Glenn, hold onto it tight this time. ;)

Mine went yesterday at 1.25 pm and just checked the tracking and it arrived and was signed for at 11.28am in the Portugal service centre. That really is a quick service by DHL. Hopefully it will get a better clean this time and will have a speedy return. Hope yours is all ok now Glenn, hold onto it tight this time. ;)

Did I miss something? Did Olympus mess up cleaning your camera and it has gone back?

As to holding on tight. The irony is that Santa bought me (at my request) the grip strap, so that I wouldn't drop it. But I dropped before before he brought the strap :bang:

Did I miss something? Did Olympus mess up cleaning your camera and it has gone back?

As to holding on tight. The irony is that Santa bought me (at my request) the grip strap, so that I wouldn't drop it. But I dropped before before he brought the strap :bang:

Yes it came back with a couple of spots on the sensor so I phoned them and they sent out packaging for me to send it back and she said it will go priority as they have had it once so I am expecting a quick return.
I always use a neck strap sometimes I do wrap it round my hand a few times like a hand strap. Hopefully that strap will mean it should be the last time you drop it.

Yes it came back with a couple of spots on the sensor so I phoned them and they sent out packaging for me to send it back and she said it will go priority as they have had it once so I am expecting a quick return.
I always use a neck strap sometimes I do wrap it round my hand a few times like a hand strap. Hopefully that strap will mean it should be the last time you drop it.

Bummer. I hope you get it bak soon. Did your screen have 'the crack' and if so, did they change it?

Just fitted the grip strap. It's no use, because it effectively ties the camera a nd grip together, so you can't have a battery in the camera unless you want to faff about taking the strap off every time you need to charge it :shake:

I normally use an Optech wrist strap which has a slider that tightens up against the wrist. The reason I dropped it is because I was pulling my glove off to change lenses and the slider wasn't tight enough. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Bummer. I hope you get it bak soon. Did your screen have 'the crack' and if so, did they change it?

Just fitted the grip strap. It's no use, because it effectively ties the camera a nd grip together, so you can't have a battery in the camera unless you want to faff about taking the strap off every time you need to charge it :shake:

I normally use an Optech wrist strap which has a slider that tightens up against the wrist. The reason I dropped it is because I was pulling my glove off to change lenses and the slider wasn't tight enough. Lesson learned.

My one was crack free but when I got it back the first time my screen protecter had gone so had to replace it. I wonder if they changed it as a matter of course and replaced the whole thing screen and all. :shrug:

I always use a neck strap but have thought about getting a wrist strap, not sure if I would get on with it though.

Ajophotog said:

Although I hope I never have to use this service, great to know Olympus service is great.

And we use DHL as one of our major shipping carriers at work, they are great, we can get goods to customers in Australia quicker than some Local Australian vendors can deliver.

Although I hope I never have to use this service, great to know Olympus service is great.

And we use DHL as one of our major shipping carriers at work, they are great, we can get goods to customers in Australia quicker than some Local Australian vendors can deliver.

Yep DHL seem to be very impressive.

Not sure if I have a problem with my camera, but when the battery goes completely flat I have to reset the date and time. Just wondering if this is normal.

Check out page 99 of the manual Kim. Stupid but true.

My camera came back today, they are sending out more packaging so I can return it. Same spots on the sensor in the same place. On the plus side it only took them 4 days to turn around the sensor clean, shame it was ineffective and it is a long way to get it done only to find out it hasn't been.

My camera came back today, they are sending out more packaging so I can return it. Same spots on the sensor in the same place. On the plus side it only took them 4 days to turn around the sensor clean, shame it was ineffective and it is a long way to get it done only to find out it hasn't been.

What a pain! :(

Sorry to read about the cracks and spotty sensor issues - I do hope it all gets sorted out in the end.

I have been quite bad again and have just ordered the lens I have been hankering after - the 35-100 f2.8. The 70 to 200 was always my favourite portrait lens on my DSLRs but it is simply too heavy nowadays so the Micro 4/3 version will be marvellous to have. But ouch the price! Having said that, I sold my Fuji XE1 and lens yesterday said that will fund my new purchase. Unfortunately the Fuji underperformed badly on a test location portrait shoot and had to go. However so far the OMD has not let me down.

Lindsay D said:
Sorry to read about the cracks and spotty sensor issues - I do hope it all gets sorted out in the end.

I have been quite bad again and have just ordered the lens I have been hankering after - the 35-100 f2.8. The 70 to 200 was always my favourite portrait lens on my DSLRs but it is simply too heavy nowadays so the Micro 4/3 version will be marvellous to have. But ouch the price! Having said that, I sold my Fuji XE1 and lens yesterday said that will fund my new purchase. Unfortunately the Fuji underperformed badly on a test location portrait shoot and had to go. However so far the OMD has not let me down.

Lovely lens by all accounts Lindsay, expensive indeed.

There seems a fair few Fujis for sale lately, probably due to the x100s and x20. I've actually thought about getting a second omd body and getting rid of my G5 and EP-3 :)

At what price point does buying an import make sense?

I am looking at OMD prices. The best UK deal is UK Digital with 5 years warranty. This would include the free 45mm portait lens which is fab for £1144.00

Alternatively the HK price is £819.00 but the portait lens would be extra making it £1008.00.

Therefore the cost difference is £136 between UK and HK prices. Is it worth the extra for the 5 years warranty for peace of mind. Any thoughts???

Sorry for the ramble. Sarah

I am looking at OMD prices. The best UK deal is UK Digital with 5 years warranty. This would include the free 45mm portait lens which is fab for £1144.00

Alternatively the HK price is £819.00 but the portait lens would be extra making it £1008.00.

Therefore the cost difference is £136 between UK and HK prices. Is it worth the extra for the 5 years warranty for peace of mind. Any thoughts???

I would have said the free lens offer makes it better to buy in this country especially with the 5 year guarantee.

^^^ What Neil says ....

Aside from the warrnaty, which I reckon would be wirth it, would you risk being hit for import duty and/or VAT on a HK purchase?

Aside from the warrnaty, which I reckon would be wirth it, would you risk being hit for import duty and/or VAT on a HK purchase?

Import duty etc. aside, buying in HK is fraught with difficulties unless you go to a store like Fortress, everyone else will try to rip you off.

It would have been Panamoz or such like. I am thinking UK for peace of mind, esp if I am already getting stressy before I have even bought it! Thanks for all of the advice, Sarah

I bought from Panamoz and they are great but the lens offer was not on then or I would have opted for UK

Back