Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Happy bunny here today, my O-MD is waiting to go off for another clean but it was the tool I used along with the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F/2.8 MEGA OIS that has won me a Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AGH tripod off ephotozine today so I'm well chuffed too, as Sarah puts it. :woot: :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ajophotog said:
Happy bunny here today, my O-MD is waiting to go off for another clean but it was the tool I used along with the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F/2.8 MEGA OIS that has won me a Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AGH tripod off ephotozine today so I'm well chuffed too, as Sarah puts it. :woot: :banana:

Top work mate :)

The way I looked at it, manual focus on a macro lens really is no problem, plus I love the bokeh on these old Canon FD lenses, so smooth

The way I looked at it, manual focus on a macro lens really is no problem, plus I love the bokeh on these old Canon FD lenses, so smooth

Manual lenses slow you down and make you think more about what you are doing I think so all good in my book.

That's an achievement but much of the time for many people MF works best for macro as whatever the AF chooses to focus on may not be the same thing that the person holding the camera would choose.

woof woof said:
That's an achievement but much of the time for many people MF works best for macro as whatever the AF chooses to focus on may not be the same thing that the person holding the camera would choose.

Yes I know that, I'm agreeing with you anyway :)

can't wait to try this macro lens out, been a while since I've taken macro shots.

The Canon is a great lens and with the extension tube it is fantastic. I found the best way to focus was rocking backwards and forwards!

Is anyone here using the 75mm 1.8? I'm so close to jumping in, I just need a nudge. Seems to get great reviews but not a great deal of people are using it, from looking around.

Is anyone here using the 75mm 1.8? I'm so close to jumping in, I just need a nudge. Seems to get great reviews but not a great deal of people are using it, from looking around.

Yes I am, not used it much but it is beautifully made and the sharpest lens I own. It just seems to just gather the detail.

It's a wonderful lens, but it's quite a niche lens. I think you have to ask yourself how often you are likely to use it and if that will justify the outlay. For that reason I bought the 35-100 f2.8 instead which will be much more versatile without much of a compromise on DOF.

It's a wonderful lens, but it's quite a niche lens. I think you have to ask yourself how often you are likely to use it and if that will justify the outlay. For that reason I bought the 35-100 f2.8 instead which will be much more versatile without much of a compromise on DOF.

I tend to 'see' at longer focal lengths, so I think it would get a lot of use. I had the Canon 135mm f2 on my 5D and loved it, this appears to be a natural replacement for that.

The Panasonic is indeed by far the more practical choice, but the price differential is significant (the 60mm 2.8 Macro and 75mm 1.8 would only cost a bit more than the 35-100).

I love mine. Tack sharp, well made and looks good. Wouldn't be without it, although you need to have that 'telephoto eye' to get the best from it.

P8310850-1.jpg

Richie15 said:
The Canon is a great lens and with the extension tube it is fantastic. I found the best way to focus was rocking backwards and forwards!

Yes looking forward to using it, so well made. I've found that the best way to focus too.

Something else on a FD mount, taken Monday night.
It was a bit parky :eek:

I love mine. Tack sharp, well made and looks good. Wouldn't be without it, although you need to have that 'telephoto eye' to get the best from it.

Thanks, ordered! Amazon had it for £639 which was good enough for me.

I didn't buy the hood though, it costs nearly as much as I paid for my 14mm 2.5!

Last edited:
Very nice mate, what FD lens was this?

I acquired a brand new (old stock) Tokina 300mm f/2.8 in FD mount just after Christmas, picked up a minty x2 Tokina teleconverter at the same time. Primarily bought the lens for occasional birding and shots like this.
This one was taken with the 300 and x2 converter, its a nice combo.

Last edited:
ukaskew said:

I didn't buy the hood though, it costs nearly as much as I paid for my 14mm 2.5!

Good price from Amazon, still that price now. If it was a focal length I would use lots, I'd order one.

Excellent, get on eBay and get the jjc hood, it is superb and well made.

Just noticed the new OM-D promotion for Feb 1st onwards...

- Free Olympus 45mm 1.8 + BLN-1 Battery

or

- Free HLD-6 Grip + BLN-1 Battery

ukaskew said:
Just noticed the new OM-D promotion for Feb 1st onwards...

- Free Olympus 45mm 1.8 + BLN-1 Battery

or

- Free HLD-6 Grip + BLN-1 Battery

Olympus UK really do have great promos

Oh good! So pleased that I rushed to fill in the form tonight to get the 45mm lens before the deadline. Typical!

Sadly that's the way of promotions, quite often a better one follows the current one.... but not always.
Bit of a lottery unless you have inside info :)

Sorry to see no-one has replied. I have no ideas I'm sorry but I think I would be tempted to return it.
It must be so disappointing for you, especially with the weekend here.

This looks seriously wrong. I would definitely send that back!

Back