Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

nice Steve a lens I’m contemplating getting for the wife to use .. currently got a Panasonic 100-300 on loan to test out viability

i'm thinking of getting an e-m10ii ( in black ) if anyone is looking to sell up.. I'll put a wanted post up if anyone is (y)

nice Steve a lens I’m contemplating getting for the wife to use .. currently got a Panasonic 100-300 on loan to test out viability
Its a decent enough lens for the price. All the bird shots Ive taken recently are with that and I'm happy with them. I find it sharp enough and when its not its usually user error rather than the lens. To be honest I've barely had it off the camera since I bought it from Alf, I've become addicted to bird photography constantly looking in the trees and bushes when I'm out :D

I had both the olly 75-300mm and Panny 100-300mm and the Panny was optically better with the copies I had. The Panny is noticeably bigger and heavier, but it’s brighter.

Camera Jungle have a 20% off 1 day sale some Oly bodies but no M4/3 lens on the site? MC-14 teleconverter for £154

Last edited:
Last edited:
Camera Jungle have a 20% off 1 day sale some Oly bodies but no M4/3 lens on the site? MC-14 teleconverter for £154
Just looked - they seem to have removed almost all their stock of cameras and lenses :)
I see 32 lenses and 23 bodies IN TOTAL :eek:

loser or winner ,keep or bin I currently have a old sirious 28-70 zoom lens with apeture blades stuck wide open, bought as part of a job lot and which stands me a whole £1 . just had a play with it on the mk1 body via a om-mft adaptor on a window ornament .. now would you keep this to play with or just throw it away . not sure what to do tried e.bay but getting no interest keep or bin ????? p.s it supposedly has macro capability
play by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
loser or winner ,keep or bin I currently have a old sirious 28-70 zoom lens with apeture blades stuck wide open, bought as part of a job lot and which stands me a whole £1 . just had a play with it on the mk1 body via a om-mft adaptor on a window ornament .. now would you keep this to play with or just throw it away . not sure what to do tried e.bay but getting no interest keep or bin ????? p.s it supposedly has macro capability
play by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
I would take it apart for the fun of it. Never know you might fix it Jeff ;)

What's your opinion of it?
Excellent. I ran a blind test comparing the D850 with 24-70mm f2.8 with the EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 and whilst one member on here definitely saw the difference, the rest didn’t and actually 70% got it wrong.

Now I’m not saying the Olly is better than the D850 as that would be crazy, but there’s only certain times the extra DR and noise handling etc Of the D850 will be particularly apparent.

Well, for one thing, I find the RAWs very drab after the Canon files I was used to; I've learned to use vibrance to bring them out a little which I never had to do with my Canons. It just doesn't seem a problem with any of the wildlife shots I've taken with the olympus.

There's another thing which will take a bit of explaining. I'll think it through......

Well, for one thing, I find the RAWs very drab after the Canon files I was used to; I've learned to use vibrance to bring them out a little which I never had to do with my Canons. It just doesn't seem a problem with any of the wildlife shots I've taken with the olympus.

There's another thing which will take a bit of explaining. I'll think it through......
Raws definitely need more ‘extreme’ processing than FF from my experience but all cameras I’ve had have needed different processing approaches so this doesn’t worry too much, as long as I can get the final image that’s all that matters to me (y)

Perhaps I shouldn't view them at 100% but with the levels of sharpening and noise reduction I'm used to using, certain distant textured subject matter looks very strange; for example distant woodland or grassland. Patches of similar tones seem to clump together into irregularly shaped - well, clumps! This is at 100% - if I reduce the NR it looks a bit better._5120024.jpg

Raws definitely need more ‘extreme’ processing than FF from my experience but all cameras I’ve had have needed different processing approaches so this doesn’t worry too much, as long as I can get the final image that’s all that matters to me (y)

Yes, as far as the vibrance is concerned, at first I was disappointed and frustrated but as long as i can get over the feeling of 'I shouldn't have to do this' or 'I never had to do this with my 5d3' I'm hoping i can live with it.

It's funny that you can be get used to processing your Canon/nikon/fuji/Olympus files in a certain way to get the best out of them. If someone suggests using a different sequence you tend to think they're "wrong" when in fact they're working on a different manufacturer's files, which, as you say, Mr Snerkler, are different in character..

Perhaps I shouldn't view them at 100% but with the levels of sharpening and noise reduction I'm used to using, certain distant textured subject matter looks very strange; for example distant woodland or grassland. Patches of similar tones seem to clump together into irregularly shaped - well, clumps! This is at 100% - if I reduce the NR it looks a bit better.View attachment 282595
I’m surprised at that image, it definitely doesn’t look right. I can’t say I’ve noticed such mushiness in my landscapes and there are a few really good landscape photographers on here who produce excellent results. @alfbranch springs to mind.

Am getting to grips with and enjoying my hybrid Olympus+Canon (or is it Canon+Olympus?) macro rig and its advantages of 280mm (equivalent) reach. I prefer to capture at least a hint of habitat in my wildlife shots. Thanks to the Metabones Adapter it does everything which an Olympus 60mm Macro does except Focus Stacking/Bracketing.

I am already hooked on dragonflies and created a Facebook group which now has over 7,000 members and now I am feeling very drawn towards photographing grasshoppers as well.

GOLDEN GRASSHOPPER IN A PASSING SHOWER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ I can confirm that the Olympus STF-8 flash is wet weatherproof to the same high standard as the Olympus Pro gear.

GRASSHOPPER PORTRAIT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GREEN GRASSHOPPER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Am getting to grips with and enjoying my hybrid Olympus+Canon (or is it Canon+Olympus?) macro rig and its advantages of 280mm (equivalent) reach. I prefer to capture at least a hint of habitat in my wildlife shots. Thanks to the Metabones Adapter it does everything which an Olympus 60mm Macro does except Focus Stacking/Bracketing.

I am already hooked on dragonflies and created a Facebook group which now has over 7,000 members and now I am feeling very drawn towards photographing grasshoppers as well.

GOLDEN GRASSHOPPER IN A PASSING SHOWER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ I can confirm that the Olympus STF-8 flash is wet weatherproof to the same high standard as the Olympus Pro gear.

GRASSHOPPER PORTRAIT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GREEN GRASSHOPPER by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Nice shots Robin
That rig is working nicely for you and it is good to see the flash is standing up to a bit of water. I havent got my STF-8 wet yet.

Perhaps I shouldn't view them at 100% but with the levels of sharpening and noise reduction I'm used to using, certain distant textured subject matter looks very strange; for example distant woodland or grassland. Patches of similar tones seem to clump together into irregularly shaped - well, clumps! This is at 100% - if I reduce the NR it looks a bit better.View attachment 282595
That looks like processing artefacts to me, I try not to use NR in LR if I can help it as it does 'smudge' detail and it can start to make it look a bit watercolour like, that goes for all cameras although FF do tend to stand up more to 'abuse' in processing. If you think Olympus files take some getting used to processing I'd suggest staying away from Fuji :eek:;)
I’m surprised at that image, it definitely doesn’t look right. I can’t say I’ve noticed such mushiness in my landscapes and there are a few really good landscape photographers on here who produce excellent results. @alfbranch springs to mind.
Yep Alf is one that always springs to mind for me too, although I took a look at Jerry's website last night and it's very impressive.

Last edited:
Back