Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My tripod fell over in strong winds and this gently hit the ground and Panasonic were terrible to deal with well there repairer actually.
It could not be repaired in Europe at the time so it was a replacement thankfully under insurance but they charged £170 more than the estimate for a replacement so I had to pay the difference.
I basically cost about 10% less than I paid new and I did not get a new box or hood etc
Wow that was an expensive fall then.
I had a bit of a job getting my 100-300 fixed too, I had to wait ages for the spare part to arrive at the repairer and for a new lens released about 4mths eariler to have no parts to repair was a very poor show.

Wow that was an expensive fall then.
I had a bit of a job getting my 100-300 fixed too, I had to wait ages for the spare part to arrive at the repairer and for a new lens released about 4mths eariler to have no parts to repair was a very poor show.
This was going to be similar it was fairly new to the market and there was no calibration machine in Europe.
It was really poor.

nice shot Trev , nothing to be shy about everything falls into place eventually . luck often plays a part to .. got a shot of a crow harassing a buzzard today from the front garden by the time I got off the settee went in the back room took my camera out of storage , rushed outside it was way down wind .. just put the shots on computer and can just make out the buzzards got a dead rabbit in its claws no wonder the crow was fighting it . 40 seconds earlier it would have been right overhead

Cracker that one rob

I seem to be having some problems setting the max auto-iso. I change it from 2000 to 6400 but when I switch the camera off it resets to 2000. Am I missing something, is there something else I need to change?

if your doing it in menu ,ensure you have pressed the ok/set button to store it .
make sure cog E-1 ISO AUTO is set to ALL .in case its altering when you change modes
iso auto set should show high and low values to

if your doing it in menu ,ensure you have pressed the ok/set button to store it .
make sure cog E-1 ISO AUTO is set to ALL .in case its altering when you change modes
iso auto set should show high and low values to
I am doing it in the menus and ensuring I have pressed the ok/set button, it’s also set to ‘all’ modes but when I switch off the camera it resets back to max 2000. It’s driving me nuts

Starling this morning, shot though double glazed bedroom windows. Considered to be quite a mundane bird, but when the light strikes it at the right angle, quite beautiful.

Starling this morning, shot though double glazed bedroom windows. Considered to be quite a mundane bird, but when the light strikes it at the right angle, quite beautiful.

I always thought of them as rather drab, but when I managed a shot a few weeks ago, and looking at yours, their feather details is fantastic. Great shots BTW (y)

I’m kicking myself now over the auto ISO resetting itself back to 2000. Tried everything or so I thought, but with no success so decided to completely reset the camera, which sorted it. Of course it was at that point I realised I was on C2 which has my settings for photographing birds one of those settings was iso 2000 :runaway:

I’m kicking myself now over the auto ISO resetting itself back to 2000. Tried everything or so I thought, but with no success so decided to completely reset the camera, which sorted it. Of course it was at that point I realised I was on C2 which has my settings for photographing birds one of those settings was iso 2000 :runaway:
Well it made me smile Steve ;)

Ha ha oops. I nearly did the same once with the custom setting dial until I realised my mistake. Couldn't for the life of me work out why it kept going into bracketing everytime I turned it on.

I don't ever use custom modes and I didn't think anyone else did either. I not sure I would remember how to use my camera if I didn't have to play around setting it up constantly :LOL:

I don't ever use custom modes and I didn't think anyone else did either. I not sure I would remember how to use my camera if I didn't have to play around setting it up constantly :LOL:
I use them :D

I often use them when I’m out, to flick between two lots of settings - to be forgotten after that particular outing. At the moment I know I’ve got C1 set to in camera focus stacking.... saves all that digging in to the menu and then ok, ok, ok etc to get out.

I often use them when I’m out, to flick between two lots of settings - to be forgotten after that particular outing. At the moment I know I’ve got C1 set to in camera focus stacking.... saves all that digging in to the menu and then ok, ok, ok etc to get out.
Exactly, one turn of the dial and I've got BBF, a specific AF setting, specific ISO, specific aperture etc etc, saves a lot of time. Setting up BBF on Olympus isn't the fastest ;)

I have been playing around with the E-M1ii and 40-150 + MC-14 combo lately to see what I can get

Here are some recent shots generally heavily cropped

The AF made this relatively easy

Hover fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a robber fly

Robberfly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a small bee

Tiny bee 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

superb alf

Just did this over on the Z6 forum (for a bit of fun only), but assuming Olympus are actually preparing a major Firmware update for the EM1-X (as has been reporting on quite a few sites for many weeks now), what (if any) new or tweaked features would you like (or expect) to see the 1X have. Obviously these have to stay in the confines of the existing hardware.

This is my wish list (in no particular order) if I'm being really greedy (most of these I know will never be implemented but you can dream)
  • Inclusion of the EM1 MK III's Starry Sky AF
  • Inclusion of the EM1 MK III's improved AF Face detect
  • More subject tracking modes including birds and animals in addition to the current Train, Planes and Cars.
  • The ability to have a review screen with the basic shooting info on it (shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc), without having to go into that detail screen where the image appears tiny.
  • Inclusion of the EM1 MK III's 9,999 images for a time lapse (up from the current 999 images) and the ability to have the MK III's inbuilt 4K time-lapse movie options of the current 5 fps as well as the former's 15 FPS and 30 FPS options.
  • 4K 60 Movie (not sure if the current hardware can support this, but the 1X has twin UHS II card slots and a big heat pipe for the sensor, so if any OM-D camera can, surely it's the 1X ?)
  • 10 bit 4.2.2. internal recording (even if only up to 4K 30p).
  • Ability to edit the super control panel and put in items that you want.
  • Better menu system or at least better organised and colour coded (like the EM1 MK 1 had).
  • Better general AF-C and tracking algorithms to compete with the best of mirrorless.
  • Built in panorama mode that auto stitches would be nice (though certainly not essential) - even my little Panasonic Lumix LX100 has that.
  • When in creative video mode, being able to lock the shutter speed to the video format shutter angle.
  • Live ND in video mode (not sure if that is even technically possible) ?
That's about all I can think of. Like I say, most of these i'm sure will never see the light of day and some may even be hardware limited, but you never know. Anyway it's just a bit of fun.

Also, whilst we are at it, what would EM1 MK II owners like to have as well ?

Last edited:
inspired by alfs insect posts above I have been in the garden having a play . my macro lens is now sold I'm simply not agile enough anymore for ground level activities .. nothing to do with the lens just me .. so I'm left at the moment with the omd1-mkii and omd-em1 plus the pl-100-400 and Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8 SWD plus 1.4 tc

this shot with the mk1 and 50-200 SWD quiet pleased with the result actually might try swopping the lenses for best results
fly day by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back