Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

But happy to have it explained why everyone but me seems to think Olympus is selling off the imaging division, rather than restructuring it with a new partner.

I think it's this bit from the press release: "According to the MOU, both companies are committed to entering into further discussions about the transfer of Olympus’ long-standing Imaging business, known for its digital cameras and IC recorders, to JIP by the end of 2020. "

But happy to have it explained why everyone but me seems to think Olympus is selling off the imaging division, rather than restructuring it with a new partner.

I think it's this bit from the press release: "According to the MOU, both companies are committed to entering into further discussions about the transfer of Olympus’ long-standing Imaging business, known for its digital cameras and IC recorders, to JIP by the end of 2020. "

Well, yes this is what I have been reading in press releases, but if you read the memorandum of understanding (what Olympus wrote and I quoted) I'm not sure how that matches the press releases.

The memorandum is here: https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/d...kq7kpMd2Fln_NkEC6ysYz7AdNfL-svPveFuomipKex6tw

Its a new company - from press release linked above

(i) Olympus’s Imaging business will be transferred to the NewCo by way of company split or otherwise, and then, (ii) shares in the NewCo will be transferred to a new company to be established by JIP.

JIP are a turnaround investment company, they will lick the former Olympus Camera Division into shape (there will be tears), and then look to sell them on (to make a profit on their investment, (its not a long term deal). Don't think for one moment its going to be sweetness and light. Personally I think the best you can hope for is a more focussed company (with a smaller product range) - Olympus certainly won't be the last camera company to be put in this situation, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of new releases for some time (unless those products are in a releasable state now)

Last edited:
Olympus is over there will be no buyout the m43 market is dead in the water
It has been for years but Olympus just keep up the denial
I don’t have any Olympus equipment now, but I was a total Olympus fanboy back in the film days
And I have a family member right now who has around £12,000 of m43 stuff in his camera bag right now Olympus is over as a camera company

I don’t have any Olympus equipment now, but I was a total Olympus fanboy back in the film days
And I have a family member right now who has around £12,000 of m43 stuff in his camera bag right now Olympus is over as a camera company

This on the day Panasonic launch a new m4/3 camera, not quite dead yet then

(i) Olympus’s Imaging business will be transferred to the NewCo by way of company split or otherwise, and then, (ii) shares in the NewCo will be transferred to a new company to be established by JIP.

JIP are a turnaround investment company, they will lick the former Olympus Camera Division into shape (there will be tears), and then look to sell them on (to make a profit on their investment, (its not a long term deal). Don't think for one moment its going to be sweetness and light. Personally I think the best you can hope for is a more focussed company (with a smaller product range) - Olympus certainly won't be the last camera company to be put in this situation, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of new releases for some time (unless those products are in a releasable state now)
TBH as much as Olympus have been struggling I just imagined they'd keep on going, it's made me wonder now whether Nikon might go a similar way. Again, whilst there's been significant losses I just assumed the parent company will keep them going.

Your entitled to your opion but I think thats the most idiotic statement I have seen today

TBH as much as Olympus have been struggling I just imagined they'd keep on going, it's made me wonder now whether Nikon might go a similar way. Again, whilst there's been significant losses I just assumed the parent company will keep them going.

Think of it like computers, in the 60/70's the market was dominated by Main Frame computers, then we had the rise of the Mini Computer, followed in the 90's by the rise of the PC.

Main Frame = Film Cameras
Mini-Computers = Hand Held Digital Cameras
PC = Mobile Phone

You can see where this is going and anyone who thinks differently is in denial! There will always be niche markets, but thats it - niche markets, the current 'niche market' isn't big enough for all the players, so inevitably some will fall.

The black fox
Look I take no pleasure in the demise of Olympus or any other company
You think my statement is idiotic
Well just screen shot for your record’s, and then get back to me in 1 month and tell me I’m still wrong
I’ll say again just for clarity, Olympus is dead and the whole m43 camera system is dead with it
There will be no buyout

The black fox
Well just screen shot for your record’s, and then get back to me in 1 month and tell me I’m still wrong
I’ll say again just for clarity, Olympus is dead and the whole m43 camera system is dead with it
There will be no buyout
How do you know this with such certainty?

Yes, that was a one of the crucial element from the memorandum which is why I quoted it earlier. But my question still stands as the memorandum from Olympus still suggests, to me, that Olympus are till going to have shares in this new company along with JIP, rather than than them simply selling it to JIP.

edit: Actually, to add to this, at the beginning of the memorandum is the statement:

"today, the parties signed a memorandum of understanding to carveout Olympus’s Imaging business to a new company (“NewCo”) and subsequently transfer its shares to a fund managed, operated or otherwise handled by JIP (the "Transaction")"

Which does indicate that the handing over of the company to JIP, which doesn't seem to agree with the rest of the text. Though I'm not sure what "to a fund" means.

Last edited:
The black fox
There will be no buyout
so when I open my storage tomorrow ,both my cameras won't turn on and the lenses will turn every picture to mush . but according to you this might not happen for a month .. now do you see how stupid your comment really sounds , I have a fair bit invested in olympus and MFT lenses and also extensively use four thirds lenses and even OM lenses which following your line of thought should have been buried ten years ago .. .. so I'll change my comment .. yours is the most stupid ,silly ,idiotic comment I have seen today..

in the words of H.P.LOVECRAFT
nothing is dead than can eternal lie ..

Last edited:
Posted this elsewhere but JIC also bought out Sony's Vaio Laptop division back in 2014 and have been actively working to bring that back to life after Sony basically gave up on it.
There's no real reason to believe they won't at least want to try and do the same with Olympus

Tony Northrup fanboys will be tripping over themselves to share this news ....

We've heard all of this before have we not? Been hearing about the 'death of M43' for years - as if people can't wait for it to be done and dusted. And why? I will never understand what people have against the system, it is fantastic in that it covers everyone from the absoloute beginner to the photographer on a very strict budget to the higher end pro wildlife/sports photographer. You can build quite a nice package for a fraction of the cost of some others - you can grab one of the older model bodies and get just as good IQ as many of the newer ones and grab a bunch of very cheap but still decent primes. What's not to like? it's not affecting the 'ardcore FF purists in any way shape or form. But we've seen the comments for years across all social media, to the point of pure hatred toward a camera system, but people are odd ...

Black fox no everything will still work for you just like it’s always done, the problems arise when the x camera does not turn on then who will fix it all the software development will eventually stop the camera will not get any firmware update will stop
So nothing much will change over night
The only thing that may change rather quickly is the value of Olympus camera’s my own step father has about £12, 000 worrh of Olympus bodies and lenses
I told him 2 years ago not to get m43 , h but he knew best
The Wrighting has been on the wall for Olympus for a very long time

Posted this elsewhere but JIC also bought out Sony's Vaio Laptop division back in 2014 and have been actively working to bring that back to life after Sony basically gave up on it.
There's no real reason to believe they won't at least want to try and do the same with Olympus

That’s because they haven’t got the VAIIO business into a position to sell on, they would like a return on their investment.

Typically companies like JIP have a portfolio of companies that they are trying to turnaround, one or two will make it big time and they will see a good profit in their subsequent sale, many will break even, or cover their costs through a combination of asset stripping and leaner working and some just won’t make it.

The key thing here is that are JIP acquiring all the patents that Olympus Camera division own - these potentially have some value - or are Olympus still retaining ownership and licensing them on

Black fox no everything will still work for you just like it’s always done, the problems arise when the x camera does not turn on then who will fix it all the software development will eventually stop the camera will not get any firmware update will stop
The only thing that may change rather quickly is the value of Olympus camera’s my own step father has about £12, 000 worrh of Olympus bodies and lenses
as far as I can tell the repair centre will still be up and running ,I'll love to be doing this to you soon over your outdated fuji gear ,, , olympus have been up front in what there doing today so pull your neck back in m8

Anyone who wants to argue...........................please feel free................................

I'll just get on a take photographs when I can and enjoy my kit, should the time come when it is longer of any use to me I am sure there will those that seek out older kit that is lighter and produces outstanding quality of imagery for its size/sensor size and quality of the optics attached to it.

If I ever feel the need and money allows to buy something new...........................??? No doubt I will have more limited manufacturer choices then but who knows Olympus in a newer leaner guise may be one of them???

The black fox
There will be no buyout

So do you think Panasonic will pull out of m4/3 too?
They recently reaffirmed their commitment to the system, they are the worlds 26th biggest company I cant imagine they are too strapped for cash
I have taken a screenshot, but somewhat doubt m4/3 will be dead in a month or even a year for that matter

I think you're right in that the second hand value will fall, but I hope you're wrong about everything else. I think it's a fantastic system and don't understand why folk bag on it. I also find it odd that Olympus have struggled so much yet Panasonic haven't reported such losses (that I'm aware of) in their camera dept.

I still find it odd how you say things with such certainty like an oracle ;) I'd love to hear your thoughts on Nikon's future :p

This is the problem black fox, everyone tries to make it a brand war I don't really care what people use it's personal choice, but your trying to make out I'm only having a go because I have Fuji, yes I do have Fuji, i have 3 an x-pro 2 an x-h1 and a 2004 Fuji s3 pro dslr, all bought in the last 6 months, and if you know anything about Fuji you will see that every single camera I own is outdated because I never buy latest model my own step father has £12,000 worth of Olympus cameras in his bag right now
So why do people have to make it a battle of the fanboys
I'm not happy about Olympus going under but it's a fact that is undeniable even for Olympus
Anyway no point trying to argue the facts are there in black and white for all to see

So do you think Panasonic will pull out of m4/3 too?
They recently reaffirmed their commitment to the system, they are the worlds 26th biggest company I cant imagine they are too strapped for cash
I have taken a screenshot, but somewhat doubt m4/3 will be dead in a month or even a year for that matter
To be fair it wasn't that long ago Olympus re-affirmed their commitment to the system, but who knows what the future holds for any of these companies? I certainly don't. I think David's probably right though in that all 'proper' cameras will become niche as smartphones get more and more sophisticated.

Seen the price of an Amiga A1200 lately? Still the fanboys are paying top dollar for them now. Just put the Olympus cameras away in their boxes and we will all be minted in 10 years from now. ;):banana:

Tony Northrup fanboys will be tripping over themselves to share this news ....

We've heard all of this before have we not? Been hearing about the 'death of M43' for years - as if people can't wait for it to be done and dusted. And why? I will never understand what people have against the system, it is fantastic in that it covers everyone from the absoloute beginner to the photographer on a very strict budget to the higher end pro wildlife/sports photographer. You can build quite a nice package for a fraction of the cost of some others - you can grab one of the older model bodies and get just as good IQ as many of the newer ones and grab a bunch of very cheap but still decent primes. What's not to like? it's not affecting the 'ardcore FF purists in any way shape or form. But we've seen the comments for years across all social media, to the point of pure hatred toward a camera system, but people are odd ...

Camera snobbery.. I got a ff so my camera is better than yours etc....
Lets face it for 98% of the time for 98% of us MFT is more than good enough. I've been toying with the idea od the 12-100 and a 300mm f4 as a 2 lens set up for a while.

Lets face it for 98% of the time for 98% of us MFT is more than good enough. I've been toying with the idea od the 12-100 and a 300mm f4 as a 2 lens set up for a while.
Yep its not what you use it is how you use it that make the difference. ;)

Tbh at nigh on 75 and with a dodgy ticker I think there’s a fair chance my gear will outlast me but it’s a bit like predicting what’s next with covid ,nobody knows what’s next in reality , but I have to admit I didn’t know that Karen from facebook had a brother called Chris :beer::beer::beer:

That's how I see it pretty much. I was very happy with my budget friendly M43 set up for a couple years, I just knew I always wanted to get back to Fuji when the H1 became more affordable for me. The main reason I switched being for IBIS when Fuji didn't offer it. But I do find that with Fuji I struggle more to build a nice set up, as it is pricier, by a good ways when you're just looking for a basic prime set up. Switching from Fuji to M43 and then back again I never felt 'wow, one is so much better than the other' there is so little in it. Yes, the Fuji sensors are better for low light and with the right lenses youcan push them a bit harder in post; but otherwise, I'd say M43 is perhaps more enjoyable to use for tele and macro - especially on a tight budget. If I could afford to run both systems, I definitely would be.

Facebook and u.tube are full of gloating fan boys today . it doesn’t even take effect till the end of the year and by then we might have a better idea ,actually thought about going for another Nikon set up a few weeks back , but lenses are to expensive and heavy , cameras are to slow both a/f and burst mode wise . So to supersede what I have now would mean spending a lot more than I can afford to take a step back in perfomance and weight and you can add to that a possible divorce :olympus:

That's how I see it pretty much. I was very happy with my budget friendly M43 set up for a couple years, I just knew I always wanted to get back to Fuji when the H1 became more affordable for me. The main reason I switched being for IBIS when Fuji didn't offer it. But I do find that with Fuji I struggle more to build a nice set up, as it is pricier, by a good ways when you're just looking for a basic prime set up. Switching from Fuji to M43 and then back again I never felt 'wow, one is so much better than the other' there is so little in it. Yes, the Fuji sensors are better for low light and with the right lenses youcan push them a bit harder in post; but otherwise, I'd say M43 is perhaps more enjoyable to use for tele and macro - especially on a tight budget. If I could afford to run both systems, I definitely would be.
I just don’t get snobbery full stop, but especially when it comes to things like ‘gadgets’. I’ve had Sony APS-C and FF, Nikon FF, Fuji APS-C and Olympus m4/3 and some of my favourite photos have been taken with the Olly as mentioned before.

From what I’ve seen a lot of people bad mouthing m4/3 haven’t even used them :rolleyes:

Here's the BBC's take on it. The quote from the editor of AP doesn't sound too good.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53165293
Once again someones interpretation of what might or might not happen .. the only time I will get worried is if they shut down there Portugal repair facility .. but the japs tend to work in mysterious ways .. there are already other companies producing MFT mount lenses who knows who will end in control , a pairing of Olympus and sigma would be a force to be reckoned with , and you can bet the big three sonycannik have got there eyes on it

I just don’t get snobbery full stop, but especially when it comes to things like ‘gadgets’. I’ve had Sony APS-C and FF, Nikon FF, Fuji APS-C and Olympus m4/3 and some of my favourite photos have been taken with the Olly as mentioned before.

From what I’ve seen a lot of people bad mouthing m4/3 haven’t even used them :rolleyes:
Totally agree with you it's stupid but we all know the sort, look at 5 trillion mp ff with my 600mm f4 I can take a fly 400 yards away and still count the hairs on his back then all they use image for is to post it on instgram :)

Well. my Oly hasn't thrown itself in desperation into the river and it still works. Perhaps Covid means that some people have too much time on their hands and are having schadenfreude in bucket loads.

I've been saying that for a long time. I found a lot of the snobbery which often got childish [from the nay sayers with their sniggering 'teensy sensor' comments] was often posted by those who rarely ever post up an image using their FF gear. let alone any evidence they'd ever actually used the M43 system. As I said earlier, same people that fell over themselves to come on here to comment after Tony Northrup's 'micro four thirds is dead' video [over a year ago btw] are just doing same again.

Last edited:
This is not just about Olympus and M4/3, it's bad news for all camera manufacturers - and for all of us enthusiasts, regardless of where our individual brand loyalties might lie. The unfortunate truth is that standalone cameras are not selling in anything like the numbers they used to - sales are down 87% since the peak in 2010, and still falling. Olympus just finds itself at the thin end of the wedge right now. I see no grounds for optimism there, and they will not be the last to call it a day.

Thom Hogan is recognised as an independent authority on the general state of the camera business - link below.

Cameras sales down 87% since 2010
https://www.statista.com/chart/5782/digital-camera-shipments/

Thom Hogan's comments
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020-mirrorless-camera/good-m43-news-bad-m43-news.html

Last edited:
Ironically, as it seems to be more convenient modern tech taking over the sales [mostly smart phones, at least on the compact end] I would estimate that at least 80% of the reviewers/vloggers that I watch use M43 gear to record all their videos - mostly Panasonic though [G9/GH5] - I know because they always have a couple vids showing 'what's in my bag' or showing how they record. The likes of Kai, and even the Northrups [who I do not watch!] use M43 gear for their videos.

Back