Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hello strangers :)

I've just come back from a family week away in Dorset. I contemplated not taking any m43 gear, just my RX100. In the end I took the E-P3, G5 and OM-D each with a lens. Only managed one day using my m43 gear, but used the RX100 every day. When you've got young children, something like the RX100 is godsend :)

Interesting Julian - was it just because the rx100 was in the pocket or did none of the lenses you took fit the occasions ?

What lenses did you take?

Interesting Julian - was it just because the rx100 was in the pocket or did none of the lenses you took fit the occasions ?

What lenses did you take?

It was really just because the RX100 is a truly pocketable all in one solution.

I had the Oly 45 on the OM-D (love this lens), Pany 14-140 on the G5 and the Pany/Leica 25 on the E-P3.

Howdy, how is everyone?

Starting to miss my m43 gear, but having said that have not even used my RX100 in anger yet :)

Hi Alan
Hope you are well?
I have to admit to have "gone off the boil" a bit with regards to taking photos at the moment. I haven't been feeling to well for some months, and what with the cold grey weather, I just haven't had any enthusiasm. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm will return with the sunshine (if we have any!)!.
Are you thinking of entering the world of m4/3 again Alan?

A couple from the Tate yesterday, OMD plus 85/1.8 plus some PP:

8627995423_3f21e846ae_b.jpg

8629104526_dfab88d8e0_b.jpg

Hi Alan
Hope you are well?
I have to admit to have "gone off the boil" a bit with regards to taking photos at the moment. I haven't been feeling to well for some months, and what with the cold grey weather, I just haven't had any enthusiasm. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm will return with the sunshine (if we have any!)!.
Are you thinking of entering the world of m4/3 again Alan?

Hi Marcia, yes I'm fine thanks - sorry to hear you have not been too good though.

I think everyone struggles to enthuse about even the most basic tasks during our dull winter months.

Yes, considering picking up another m43 body and some lenses now the warmer weather is hopefully on its way.

Take care

Funny you should mention that new 75-300mm II as i have been thinking about getting one just for days out at the Zoo or random wildlife photos not something id use too loads if im being honest,
It is a slower lens than the Pana 100-300mm but its also a little smaller not that a little smaller would bother me the only thing i wondered is if the Olympus lens would be better at focusing moving subjects :thinking:

My sister and her hubby both have Nex's and have fitted protectors they bought from a mobile phone shop. Sis said you just cut them to size and stick them on. To be honest until she told me I hadn't even spotted that an after market protector had been fitted so once on they look very good to me.

Hi Marcia, yes I'm fine thanks - sorry to hear you have not been too good though.

I think everyone struggles to enthuse about even the most basic tasks during our dull winter months.

Yes, considering picking up another m43 body and some lenses now the warmer weather is hopefully on its way.

Take care

Thanks Alan!
I'm hoping some better weather will work wonders for my health and mojo, and it's certainly a bit warmer here today!
Have you decided what you will go for this time yet?
The OMD has dropped in price of late if you wanted new, and MPB had a used one over the weekend for only £599 body only, which was a great price!
Anyway I'll be watching out to see what you get, and look forward to seeing more posts from you.
Take care

Haven't had much time to post of late but a few days away down in West Country threw up some photo opportunities.
These were all taken on a round walk from and back to Hound Tor.

Inclement weather and the relative wilderness that sets in quickly as you travel onto Dartmoor is a great attraction...

These little lambs seemed to be doing well

One of the plentiful watercourses you meet on a Dartmoor walk

Curious cattle

Remains of a sheep that didn't do so well!

A moss covered wood, quite a striking sight

Our approach to Hound Tor from close to Greator Rocks

Thanks for looking :)

A great set Huw.
I'm a sucker for lambs, so that has to be my favourite, especially as we are so used to seeing them in a field round here, so lovely to see them in a different environment looking comfy and cosy!
Thank you for sharing

Has anyone tried any video recording on the OMD?

I have tried it with the SEMA 1 and a Rode video mic pro this morning and there is a slight hiss to the footage. I have turned video recording volume to low (options are high, low and off) other than that there are no sound options in body.

I have tried the Rode mic in normal mode, high pass mode and still the same?

DOes anyone have any ideas at all?

I have tried it with the SEMA 1 and a Rode video mic pro this morning and there is a slight hiss to the footage. I have turned video recording volume to low (options are high, low and off) other than that there are no sound options in body.

I don't use the video feature but is it possibly the IS system try turning it off and see if it's the same ?

A great set Huw.
I'm a sucker for lambs, so that has to be my favourite, especially as we are so used to seeing them in a field round here, so lovely to see them in a different environment looking comfy and cosy!
Thank you for sharing

Thanks Marcia, lets see some of your lamb shots with the OM-D ;)

antc said:

I think I read somewhere that the Sema 1 microphone was not compatible or at least not recommended for use with the OM-D because of sound interference from the Image Stabilisation system

I don't use the video feature but is it possibly the IS system try turning it off and see if it's the same ?

I think I read somewhere that the Sema 1 microphone was not compatible or at least not recommended for use with the OM-D because of sound interference from the Image Stabilisation system

Both of you have said that now and its got me thinking that maybe what it is. However intially for video I intend to use the camera on a tripod so I can turn the IBIS off without any worries at all.

I still havent got round to trying it yet though, as soon as I do I shall come back and update the thread! (y)

Just spent a while reading through this whole thread, i should hopefully be an OMD and 12-50 owner in a couple of weeks. I think this is the most excited ive ever been about getting a new camera!

Congratulations Euan, it's a terrific piece of kit! When I ordered mine I wasn't expecting to love it so much, having a bag full of top pro kit. But thanks to the OMD I rarely lug the heavy stuff around these days, it's given me almost total photographic freedom - life changing in many ways.

Having sold all of my heavy stuff including a RedSnapper tripod.
I am now looking for a lightweight tripod found this one does anybody use it? Or what are the recommendations.

Just joined the club :) I have the kit 12-50 and a 45mm which I have been using since Friday but when I get home tomorrow I have the 75mm 1.8 waiting for me :)

It's such a great camera. I had a Sony NEX C3 and although I liked the portability I hated the lack of OV and the lens choice. This now has it all so I'm selling up my DSLR kit completely... Although I am still keeping my X100 and X10. I love the retro style of Fuji and Olympus. Just brilliant!

What flashes are people using with their OM-D? Any recommendations?

I was considering the FL300R but heard that if you bounce off the ceiling it's difficult to physically use the viewfinder due to the flash hitting you face.

I'm also considering FL-36R. Does anybody use that one?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Colin

I was considering the FL300R but heard that if you bounce off the ceiling it's difficult to physically use the viewfinder due to the flash hitting you face.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Colin

Nobody?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Colin

Yes I use the FL-36R, seems to work very nicely with the OM-D E-M5 when I occasionally use it (not that often).

Yes I use the FL-36R, seems to work very nicely with the OM-D E-M5 when I occasionally use it (not that often).

Thanks for the reply. I think for the price of them I'll try the FL-36R as its not that expensive second hand.

As you probably saw, I sold 25mm, 14-140mm and 7-14mm. I now have:

Samyang 7.5mm
Olympus 45mm
Panasonic 12-35mm
Panasonic 35-100mm
Panasonic 100-300mm
Canon FD 50mm macro
Canon FD 50mm
Canon FD 70-210mm
Canon FD 200mm

Has anyone else had a problem with their OMD and Panasonic 20mm? I took it out for the first time last week and some of the images suffered from banding. Really gutted as it has spoilt some nice pictures. Is there anything that I can do?

This i a known issue with this OM-D and 20mm. I can't help as I got rid of my 20mm before getting OM-D. But if you Google that combo you will find lots of info :)

Yea using and loving it! Was in Berlin at weekend and got some incredible stuff with it, am finding am getting shots that I would never have got before - I take it everywhere as it just fits in any bag and looks super cool. I done my first proper shoot with it 2 weeks ago in studio and am super impressed - will post pics later for some feedback!
So impressed as I was an Fuji x100 owner previous and there no comparison omd is omg!!

The only thing was at night at the gala ball in berlin I found the 12-50 was too slow and images become soft, so popped on my 45mm but had to stand at next table to get photo of my wife and guy sitting next to me - any recommendation on wider Lens faster than the kit lens - I only have 12-50 and 45!

The only thing was at night at the gala ball in berlin I found the 12-50 was too slow and images become soft, so popped on my 45mm but had to stand at next table to get photo of my wife and guy sitting next to me - any recommendation on wider Lens faster than the kit lens - I only have 12-50 and 45!
Suggested primes would be the Oly 17mm or the Panny 20mm, although see the complaint on the previous page.

Shrubmonkey did you have any issues with the 7-14mm? I Still want a good wide angle for my OMD

Back