Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Try 14 months for a new VW….ask me how I know :mad::mad:

I know it's frustrating to not be able to buy what we want when we want it, but I do find the level of frustration 'amusing' on a level.
Suggestions that OM Sys is deliberately throttling supply are ridiculous - they would supply if they could.
The world is still in the grip of Covid - or rather the policies that governments see fit to impose in its name. Who knows how much longer this situation will last?
Why not leave a pre-order in place? Unless of course the supplying dealer has taken a substantial deposit. Some dealers only take a £5 pre-order deposit.
It's a first world issue - frustrating because we don't have bigger things to worry about.
I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm immune!

It does give you time to think do l really want it, after waiting for so long the need to have it has now somewhat wained so decided to just go with something else.
Happy to wait when stock is at normal level. Plus the price may drop and 2nd user items may be an option.

Last edited:
It does give you time to think do l really want it, after waiting for so long the need to have it has now somewhat wained so decided to just go with something else.
Happy to wait when stock is at normal level. Plus the price may drop and 2nd user items may be an option.
same here ,and although the majority are o.k looking through various media theres quite a lot of problems occurring with them . still happy with my trusted 1-mkiii

I'm still surprised I got one of the very first OM-1's right at the beginning of March. OK i pre-ordered on launch day, but even so, when I have done this in the past, I've never received the ordered item within a few weeks. Also got my pre-ordered HLD10 grip, spare (free) battery and even the BCX-1 double battery charger.

Now, if I wanted a Nikon Z9 (which I'm trying my best to resist), I'm pretty sure if I ordered now, I probably wouldn't have it until Christmas time or perhaps even early next year ?

I'm still surprised I got one of the very first OM-1's right at the beginning of March. OK i pre-ordered on launch day, but even so, when I have done this in the past, I've never received the ordered item within a few weeks. Also got my pre-ordered HLD10 grip, spare (free) battery and even the BCX-1 double battery charger.

Now, if I wanted a Nikon Z9 (which I'm trying my best to resist), I'm pretty sure if I ordered now, I probably wouldn't have it until Christmas time or perhaps even early next year ?
When I pre-order the om-d e-m5 back along I got it on the day with the free grip, marketing has far out done supply this time I reckon. I didn't think Olympus was that popular :D ;)

same here ,and although the majority are o.k looking through various media theres quite a lot of problems occurring with them . still happy with my trusted 1-mkiii
I'll have a play with the mk3 and keep an eye on the om-1 reviews and problems. Im sure it won't be long before they are available but I couldn't miss out on some of my trips I haved planned so it was get a cheap mk3 or use the Panny g3 :D The mk 3 will go for part ex or get sold if need be when the time arrives. ;)

.... Problems? What problems?

The only problem I had with mine (pre-ordered on launch day and # 5 in the queue), was sticky dials but they have loosened up a bit after about 10,000 shots - I only shoot M-mode. Putting my camera under the shower quite regularly may have helped - Who knows!

The only problem I had with mine (pre-ordered on launch day and # 5 in the queue), was sticky dials but they have loosened up a bit after about 10,000 shots - I only shoot M-mode. Putting my camera under the shower quite regularly may have helped - Who knows!
Plenty Robin , more than should be happening with a new body , cameras packing up entirely , not focussing in s.a.f . Freezing after a few shots .. and that’s just from a forum and Facebook ..wonder what the reality is worldwide .. .. I am so glad I held fire on getting one .. and just because yours is o.k doesn’t mean everyone’s is

You only normally hear about problems. Most people won't go on a forum and say "My camera is fine".

A while ago I got a computer that broke. I hunted down the internets and posted. There were hundreds of complaints, the same as me. Two things happened:

1) the manufacturer quickly fixed my computer
2) I realised that the hundreds of complaints were, mostly, the same people reposting and updating.

Not had any issues at all with mine, it’s been brilliant so far.

Plenty Robin , more than should be happening with a new body , cameras packing up entirely , not focussing in s.a.f . Freezing after a few shots .. and that’s just from a forum and Facebook ..wonder what the reality is worldwide .. .. I am so glad I held fire on getting one .. and just because yours is o.k doesn’t mean everyone’s is
.... And conversely, just because some people's *OM-1 (*or substitute any new product) isn't ok doesn't mean everyone's is not ok.

No deal-breaking issues with mine (no camera is perfect!) and I have the luxury of a E-M1X backup body.

But the bottom line is that we each buy the cameras we individually feel most comfortable with and which best suit our individual needs.

I have enough faith in the Olympus/OMD System brand to have pre-ordered on the first day, as I did with their 150-400mm TC Pro and I am enjoying both very much indeed. I badly want the OM-1 HLD-10 Battery Grip though - But it will come and it doesn't stop me shooting.

Oh ye of little faith :D

Last edited:

and the official line is ......
My husband saw this this morning in a press release and translated by Google:
We are currently receiving inquiries from customers using the “OM SYSTEM OM-1” that the camera freezes during shooting.
As a result of our research, it was found that when shooting with the EVF (viewfinder) frame rate set to “high speed”, freezes occur depending on the shooting conditions. We have identified the cause and are currently preparing for the release of firmware that addresses this phenomenon on the Web.
Customers who have experienced the above phenomenon are kindly requested to set the EVF frame rate to “Standard” before using it.
We will inform you of the firmware release date at a later date, so please wait for a while.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers using “OM SYSTEM OM-1”.

We are currently receiving inquiries from customers using the “OM SYSTEM OM-1” that the camera freezes during shooting.
As a result of our research, it was found that when shooting with the EVF (viewfinder) frame rate set to “high speed”, freezes occur depending on the shooting conditions. We have identified the cause and are currently preparing for the release of firmware that addresses this phenomenon on the Web.
Customers who have experienced the above phenomenon are kindly requested to set the EVF frame rate to “Standard” before using it.
We will inform you of the firmware release date at a later date, so please wait for a while.
.... I don't see that as a deal breaking issue to merit not buying an OM-1. It's just teething troubles and getting fixed in Firmware along with the inevitable other bugs in a complicated electronic new device reliant on software. It's the hardware issues which are more serious when/if they occur.

.... I don't see that as a deal breaking issue to merit not buying an OM-1. It's just teething troubles and getting fixed in Firmware along with the inevitable other bugs in a complicated electronic new device reliant on software. It's the hardware issues which are more serious when/if they occur.
ask the guy on the other forum whose body bricked on him after a few days and is still without one ,plus more than a few on Facebook pages ,though they seem to disappear within a few hours i.e Putin style ???

ask the guy on the other forum whose body bricked on him after a few days and is still without one ,plus more than a few on Facebook pages ,though they seem to disappear within a few hours i.e Putin style ???
.... This is really no different than other camera (and other electronic product) brands are currently experiencing. The modern customer wants it all and wants it all now (as in the song by Queen). I think it says a lot that OMD System have a long warranty. Warranties are there for a purpose which includes reaching out to help customers.

I hope enough folks here enjoy Queen's music :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Last edited:
The modern customer wants it all and wants it all now (as in the song by Queen).

I hope enough folks here enjoy Queen's music :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE
Always easier to say when the person who has it all says it. ;) :LOL: :LOL: P.S. I love the music of Queen ;)
3 types of customer:
1 Those who have already got it.
2 Ones that have funds and have ordered it but can't get it.
3 Ones that want but cant afford it.

All customers will have different views of the situation.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot those that have it but got sent a duffer. :(
That really has to be the worst scenario.

Last edited:
Does anyone use OM System Workspace apart from using it to upload firmware?
What do you think of it?

What do you think of it?
I use it to download the images from the camera and to do some raw processing.

However, it is painfully slow - and I'm using it on a fairly powerful PC with an RTX2060 GPU.

I do like the way it allows me to easily work out if an image is worth keeping, or not.

I use DigiKam to catalogue and sort my images. If DigiKam made easier to adjust exposure on the fly, then I would hardly use OM Workspace at all.
xnView is also useful as a very quick viewer (and deleter) of raw files.

I use it to download the images from the camera and to do some raw processing.

However, it is painfully slow - and I'm using it on a fairly powerful PC with an RTX2060 GPU.

I do like the way it allows me to easily work out if an image is worth keeping, or not.

I use DigiKam to catalogue and sort my images. If DigiKam made easier to adjust exposure on the fly, then I would hardly use OM Workspace at all.
xnView is also useful as a very quick viewer (and deleter) of raw files.
Thanks Donal, I dont use OS workspace but was curious if anyone does. I use FastRawViewer and Lightroom plus some extra plugins and editors like topaz. I found it pretty slow too.

What do you think of it?
.... I only use it to download and install Firmware.

While I was in Portugal I used it just to look at my images via my laptop but never to RAW convert. I had hoped to use OM Workspace to cull my images but even that was ridiculously slooow and restricted to a one-by-one 2-step action < Possibly because it was reading my images already loaded directly into my LaCie Rugged portable via its own integrated SD card uploader.

Like you I use FastRawViewer (FRV) but with Capture One 22. Both support the OM-1 ORF files. FRV is fast in reading my image files which are still stored on my LaCie external which only has USB-C connection options.

OM Workspace displays the images much more attractively than FRV but I only use FRV to cull, colour code, and move selected images to Capture One and so the display doesn't matter.

.... I only use it to download and install Firmware.

While I was in Portugal I used it just to look at my images via my laptop but never to RAW convert. I had hoped to use OM Workspace to cull my images but even that was ridiculously slooow and restricted to a one-by-one 2-step action < Possibly because it was reading my images already loaded directly into my LaCie Rugged portable via its own integrated SD card uploader.

Like you I use FastRawViewer (FRV) but with Capture One 22. Both support the OM-1 ORF files. FRV is fast in reading my image files which are still stored on my LaCie external which only has USB-C connection options.

OM Workspace displays the images much more attractively than FRV but I only use FRV to cull, colour code, and move selected images to Capture One and so the display doesn't matter.
I use FRV for culling, files are then loaded through Lightroom onto an external photo working drive in year/month/venue order which then gets automatically mirrored to a second drive.
I use the working drive to edit in lightroom and changes or deletions again are uploaded to my backup mirror drive automatically. Simples :D
I use a little program called SyncTime to sync the 2 drives if you were wondering.

Last edited:
I use FRV for culling, files are then loaded through Lightroom onto an external photo working drive in year/month/venue order which then gets automatically mirrored to a second drive.
I use the working drive to edit in lightroom and changes or deletions again are uploaded to my backup mirror drive automatically. Simples :D
I use a little program called SyncTime to sync the 2 drives if you were wondering.
.... My LaCie Rugged has a sync'd mirror drive within it. But guess what ... I don't use it! :D. My attitude is that if I lose original RAW files it doesn't matter because I already have their outputs. Photos are just fleeting captured moments and in the past. If I hadn't output the pic then it wasn't worth keeping anyway and worse things happen in life. I reckon I have already shot about 5,000 on my OM-1.

.... My LaCie Rugged has a sync'd mirror drive within it. But guess what ... I don't use it! :D. My attitude is that if I lose original RAW files it doesn't matter because I already have their outputs. Photos are just fleeting captured moments and in the past. If I hadn't output the pic then it wasn't worth keeping anyway and worse things happen in life. I reckon I have already shot about 5,000 on my OM-1.
I have lots of photos I wouldn't want to lose, moments of family life from the kids and grandkids and past and present friends and pets. in the old days film was printed so albums pre digital are still viewed at christmas or when family meet up. I have also scanned lots of older slides which are now backed up. I couldn't care a jot if lots of my wildlife photos crash and burnt but I have lots of history I would hate to lose.

Last edited:
It's true. I tried it as a test and the OM-1 does freeze. The only fix is to take the battery out and start again.
For me it's no big deal I don't use the high-speed frame rate in the EVF anyway.
The camera is still amazing.

Back