Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My biggest fear about smaller cameras is the lag, not getting that DSLR feeling of instant capture, but I understand there is none of that with the OMD.

Ok, here's how I see it. There is no real lag issue relative to dslrs, you shouldn't worry about. There's no need to go into shutter lag time, VR blackout times and AF speeds. Just realise it's not a major real world issue.

However, I always felt that I (as a photographer) was that bit quicker and more fluid in responding to a dynamic situation when using the 5DII vs the EM5. At first I thought it was just down to years of using the Canon, but now I think it's not just that. Long story short, I used to instinctively change every setting in an instant with the camera still to my eye, but now, with the EM5, I find myself using the touch LCD more often than I'd like. And I suspect Olympus agrees, which is why they've engineered and marketed the EM1 as being more ergonomic with it's 2x2 dials etc. In short, more suited to pro's that appreciate a higher level of speed and convenience of operation. Of course, if I'm not photographing in a fast moving dynamic situation (eg kids party) then it's not an issue. And I am still fairly quick with the EM5. But I expect this latest evolution of the cameras to knock this one on its head.

Take a look at the GH3. Same sensor as the OMD - just in a more user friendly package (IMHO). Biggest "issue" is lack of IBIS, but in terms of handleability, it beats the OMD hands down.

Lots has been leaked on the EM1 on the build up to release, so no real surprises now its announced. Nice camera indeed, as folks have stated size will increase the appeal. But as expected its a little pricey, I'm personally not buying any more gear on initial release and would wait for price drops, alternatively pick up a second EM5, HDEW has them for £565

I'm looking forward to how the dual AF pans out, particuarly as for tracking PDAF will kick in even with M43 lenses.

The announcement of a forthcoming telephoto prime is more exciting, personally. That will plug the biggest gap in the system only currently served by a couple of slow (but reasonably good) zooms.

I'm looking forward to how the dual AF pans out, particuarly as for tracking PDAF will kick in even with M43 lenses.

The announcement of a forthcoming telephoto prime is more exciting, personally. That will plug the biggest gap in the system only currently served by a couple of slow (but reasonably good) zooms.

Lots has been leaked on the EM1 on the build up to release, so no real surprises now its announced. Nice camera indeed, as folks have stated size will increase the appeal. But as expected its a little pricey, I'm personally not buying any more gear on initial release and would wait for price drops, alternatively pick up a second EM5, HDEW has them for £565

£565 is a bargain! Might take a look myself

Comparison between the EM-1 and a D600 here

My immediate impression of many of the initial 'hands-on' reviews is that many of the writers have clearly been in an Olympus environment for their first experiences.

Re the price, it appears that the camera plus 12-40 kits offers a fair discount over the separate components, along with the free grip. For some reason Americans can't get that kit yet.

£565 is a bargain! Might take a look myself

Anyone else surprised by the depreciation on the EM5? I think the launch price was around £1100 (if memory serves), so it's nearly halved in value in 18 months!

As for the EM1 I can't decide if the same will happen, but I suspect it will drop quite a bit unless demand is ridiculously high. On the one hand the Olympus pro line (eg 4/3 glass) hasn't dropped too much historically, but on the other hand, the bundle deals available for pre-order are amazing - from SRS/Oly you can get the grip, adapter, battery and backpack bundled in for your £1299, which is worth several hundred!

As I understand it the EM-1 is not a replacement for the EM-5 and a replacement for the latter could come quite quickly. Not that this really explains this very low price, one that could tempt new buyers away from the EM-1.

As I understand it the EM-1 is not a replacement for the EM-5 and a replacement for the latter could come quite quickly. Not that this really explains this very low price, one that could tempt new buyers away from the EM-1.

I wouldn't expect a replacement for the EM-5 till maybe sometime next year,i would think Olympus would like at the moment to push the EM-1.

:)

I wouldn't expect a replacement for the EM-5 till maybe sometime next year,i would think Olympus would like at the moment to push the EM-1.

:)

Aye, They need to be very careful. An improved EM-5 wouldn't be presumably that far off the EM-1 and would be a fair bit cheaper...

What are peoples thoughts on sensor cleaning?

It looks like we're going to get more cameras with IBIS and I wonder what the implications are for wet cleaning.

My 5D needs quite a bit of cleanind but my G1 requires much less even though it gets a lot more use and a lot more lens changes. I've had it a few years now and it seems much more resistant to contamination than my 5D but even so I've had to do a wet clean two or three times when stuff has got stuck on the sensor.

My worry is that I'm pretty sure that I read that you're not meat to wet clean these IBIS sensors... so, what do owners think and do?

Correct, you're not meant to clean them - they tend not to get dirty, but if they do then you're supposed to have an expert do it.

Given that I'd have had to send my G1 away two or three times I guess this (IBIS) is yet another new technology that places the product off my radar for practical reasons. Shame.

As I keep saying... these cameras just arent going in the direction I want them too. The more cameras that come out the more I can see myself keeping my current kit.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem Alan - are you saying your G1 gets dirty often? That sounds unusual, and the current crop of models are more resistant to dirt ingress. Also, if there's a good dealership near you they might do it while you wait. Given the advantages of IBIS, it seems a small price to pay. I've used my OMD a lot, changing lenses repeatedly in the field, in adverse conditions, and it has managed to stay very clean.

I don't see the problem Alan - are you saying your G1 gets dirty often? That sounds unusual, and the current crop of models are more resistant to dirt ingress. Also, if there's a good dealership near you they might do it while you wait. Given the advantages of IBIS, it seems a small price to pay. I've used my OMD a lot, changing lenses repeatedly in the field, in adverse conditions, and it has managed to stay very clean.

I would absolutely agree with this. My Omd's are nice and clean and I have changed lenses in all sorts of conditions.

Anyone else surprised by the depreciation on the EM5? I think the launch price was around £1100 (if memory serves), so it's nearly halved in value in 18 months!

As for the EM1 I can't decide if the same will happen, but I suspect it will drop quite a bit unless demand is ridiculously high. On the one hand the Olympus pro line (eg 4/3 glass) hasn't dropped too much historically, but on the other hand, the bundle deals available for pre-order are amazing - from SRS/Oly you can get the grip, adapter, battery and backpack bundled in for your £1299, which is worth several hundred!

Lots of talk about upcoming NEX full frame, challenging the pro level mft. Not sure I buy into this (or really care that much), the full frame NEX is likely to be very expensive (going on the RX1 price), I just hope mft gear can stay at relatively cheap price to remain viable choice, competition is good :)

And on depreciation of the EM5 price, yeah, £565 is huge drop, hence my reason for not buying another camera on initial release anymore ;)

Last edited:
Just catching up with the latest posts on the thread.

The new EM1 looks good, nicely addressing some of the shortcomings of the EM5. Still loving my EM5 though - it's been a real pleasure using this on holiday. Unfortunately i can't say the same for my little Panasonic 14-42PZ which after 2 months use decided to give up the ghost and get stuck :(

Here's one from the other day whilst it was still working.

Slapton Sands by little barker, on Flickr

James

Hi all,

can anybody suggest a legacy macro lens i can use on my omd that is longer than 150mm?

Also looking to not spend a lot of money, but happy to spend a couple of hundred.

Hi all,

can anybody suggest a legacy macro lens i can use on my omd that is longer than 150mm?

Also looking to not spend a lot of money, but happy to spend a couple of hundred.

Afraid this isn;t my area at all.

Does this help at all or is this just the bleeding obvious?

Afraid this isn;t my area at all.

Does this help at all or is this just the bleeding obvious?

Cheers paul, haven't seen that before.

i am aware of the current macro options on m43's - but didnt know about the 50mm on 4/3's

I'm looking for a long macro lens that would double as a long telephoto. I currently have a 35-100, so was after something longer than 100mm, preferably 200mm +

Hi all,

Been looking for one myself and after getting a little stuck I ordered a set of extention tubes for under £10. I'll post some results in the Panasonic thread when they turn up.

I've had it a few years now and in that time I've done 2 or three wet cleans which might not be too bad given that I change lenses in locations and in conditions that others wont even take their cameras out of their bags in.

I am a bit anal about this and if there's one spot at f32 I usually have to clean it :D I assume that sticky stuff like pollen is still a problem as you see dust bunnies in peoples shots on line. It's not something that I personally can ignore or live with.

Sending my camera to a dealer (there aren't any I know of in easy reach of the Cleveland area) to be cleaned just isn't an option I'll even think about... I don't trust them and I admit that I'm hard to please, but if I see a fault it's all I can see so, so it is too high a price for IBIS and if they can't be home cleaned I simply will not buy one.

I would absolutely agree with this. My Omd's are nice and clean and I have changed lenses in all sorts of conditions.

Have you checked at small aperture? It's only a matter of time before it gets a dust bunny so the only questions are... will you notice it in shots and if you do will you care? Some people don't and don't but I'm afraid I do and do.

I very, very rarely shoot at anything smaller than about f14 and usually no smaller than f11, so as long as there's no dust bunnies showing up at these points, the sensor on my m4/3 cameras are clean as far as I am concerned.

I've never had to do a single clean on a m4/3 camera (other than a quick go with a rocket blower) since I first moved to m4/3 two years ago. I had a Sony NEX-7 for 3 months earlier this year, and would have to clean its sensor at least every other week.......

Cheers,

Simon.

Have you checked at small aperture? It's only a matter of time before it gets a dust bunny so the only questions are... will you notice it in shots and if you do will you care? Some people don't and don't but I'm afraid I do and do.

Yes and its perfectly clean (y)

Maybe but as yet I have nothing on either of my sensors and they have both been used a fair bit. I am extremely careful when and how I change my lens which also no doubt accounts for the cleanliness of the sensors also.

And yes I will notice for sure, it sounds like you might be as anal as me about these things :)

As soon as the EM5 drops further in price I will certainly be buying it, been waiting for so long for it to reach a suitable price (pretty much ever since it came out) but the last M4/3 camera I had I didnt really get on with. The EM5 looks perfect though, so if anyones looking to sell their EM5 to fund an upgrade to EM1, let me know :p

Dusk at Ponte de Lima (EM-5 & 12-35)

Villa garden wild life (EM-5 & 75-300)

(EM-5 & 75-300)

Sunset (EM-5 & 35-100)

(EM-5 & 35-100)

All courtesy of the E-M5

I very, very rarely shoot at anything smaller than about f14 and usually no smaller than f11, so as long as there's no dust bunnies showing up at these points, the sensor on my m4/3 cameras are clean as far as I am concerned.

Yes and its perfectly clean (y)

The way I look at it is that it's only a matter of time before pollen or something sticky gets in so sooner or later it's going to happen. It's happened to me with my G1.

I've read on other forums that people have cleaned their sensors with no ill effect and I also read one horror story of a camera that went back to Olympus and ended up having to be replaced. Par for the course if my experience with Canon is anything to go by.

It's something that I'll keep in mind but I do feel a bit better having read that people are out there wet cleaning and if they can do it I'm sure I can.

All in all it seems pretty stupid way to build a camera IMVHO (not allowing wet cleaning) unless they're just being over cautious.

I should probably clarify that I don't own an IBIS equipped camera Alan. I must admit I've never heard any talk before now of not being able (or supposed) to wet clean such units.

Simon.

Just catching up with the latest posts on the thread.

The new EM1 looks good, nicely addressing some of the shortcomings of the EM5. Still loving my EM5 though - it's been a real pleasure using this on holiday. Unfortunately i can't say the same for my little Panasonic 14-42PZ which after 2 months use decided to give up the ghost and get stuck :(

Here's one from the other day whilst it was still working.

Slapton Sands by little barker, on Flickr

James

Good news. Amazon will refund me on my failed 14-42PZ. I'll probably replace it with the same as it's a very compact lens for general use.

Few from my recent family holiday to the Lakes

9734478105_f35e9d7538_c.jpg

9645973984_3602e67b96_c.jpg

9727271164_a603300340_c.jpg

9639693760_48de7f2c98_c.jpg

9655307555_46c0ca65cb_c.jpg

First time in a while I've used both my OMD and G5 together for a long period of time. Really going off the Panasonic compared to the Oly now, probably as a result of more creative photography, longer exposures on the G5 produce horrid noise, will probably resort to just using the OMD going forward.

Back