Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Only the new E-M1 as far as I am aware.

That's a shame. Any idea if the charger is compatible with other batteries? Bit of an off chance....

One other question, when using the Panasonic lenses with IS, is it better to use lend our body stabilisation?

That's a shame. Any idea if the charger is compatible with other batteries? Bit of an off chance....

One other question, when using the Panasonic lenses with IS, is it better to use lend our body stabilisation?

With regard to the charger, I doubt it and with regard to IS I find the Olympus in body IS more capable.

That's a shame. Any idea if the charger is compatible with other batteries? Bit of an off chance.... One other question, when using the Panasonic lenses with IS, is it better to use lend our body stabilisation?

I have 3rd party batteries and have to use the 3rd party charger, bit of pain but no big deal given the price difference.

I switch off panasonic lens IS stabilisation on my 12-35, 35-100 but have read that longer focal distances it could be better to use lens IS, but not tried this yet with my 100-300

Some more from last month, all with the 12-35 (may as well be glued on)

9920053936_770c9645e5_c.jpg

9869587903_6ef283ca96_c.jpg

9850082973_5949f53ef1_c.jpg

9879281865_7de10dd3b9_c.jpg

Another inspiring set Julian, I love the water on that long exposure shot.
Please keep them coming :clap:

So do you find the 1/4000 shutter speed an issue when shooting wide open on the 12-35?

Also what about the lack of ca lens correction using this lens on the omd?

Will you consider swapping to the new oly 12-40?

Some more from last month, all with the 12-35 (may as well be glued on)

9920053936_770c9645e5_c.jpg

9869587903_6ef283ca96_c.jpg

9850082973_5949f53ef1_c.jpg

9879281865_7de10dd3b9_c.jpg

Brilliant, really stunning set. Can I ask you a question with regard to your focus. As in do you use AF or MF and if AF which point do you choose, example do you choose a point 1/3 into the frame?

Cheers (y)

Great choice, I love my 12mm.

What made you chance from the d600 to the OMD?

Bulk and size mainly, don't get my wrong the image Quality from the D600 is stunning but whats the point if it gets left in the house?

I had an EM5 kit last year which I really enjoyed with a 7-14, 17, 25, 45 and 100-300 setup which fitted easily in my small day to day bag, which meant I could take it everywhere.

The other reason is for travel, I took a D7000 to Paris this year and because I'm a huge prime fan I found myself swapping from 24mm to 35mm all the time, I took the D600 with a 14, 24, Sigma 35 and 85mm to Italy last month and while I didn't mind swapping lenses (I used the Sigma 35mm mostly) it was a pain in the neck and made me realise I wanted something smaller.

I did consider just buying the 24-85 Kit Zoom for the D600 but having tried it it wasn't outstanding optically and it didn't really reduce size for me.

The EM5 is the logical place for me to come back to, excellent prime lenses (12, 17, 25 & 45 for now!) and I know the IQ is very good too, I may be losing on High ISO but I prefer to rely on fast lenses.

Hand on heart if the AF was better I'd have bought a Fuji X-Pro 1 before the EM5 but I realised that I need good AF and while it might not be as good as my D600 (although the AF on that wasn't stellar) it will do me for most things.

I've half got an eye on the EM1 as well but want to see how I get on with the EM5 again first!

Lovely images as always Julian, I particularly like the monochrome shot.

I have succumbed to the desire for convenience and have been seduced by the prospect of a good quality walkabout super zoom. I've always been disappointed with the Canon versions of these lenses so it will be very interesting to see how the Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 performs when it arrives at the end of next week. For casual walks and city photography I'm often left wanting a longer focal length so if this is optically acceptable (as quite a few reviewers suggest it is) then it will be handy to have for those "out and about in decent light" situations.

I see some people here asking about macro lenses, just my tuppenceworth but I just got the Kenko extension tubes, approx £90 and I think they are great. Used with the 75-300 you get good distance from the subject and all the convenience of auto focus etc. Here are a couple of shots hand held.

Tortoiseshell by Neelly, on Flickr

Bee by Neelly, on Flickr

So do you find the 1/4000 shutter speed an issue when shooting wide open on the 12-35? Also what about the lack of ca lens correction using this lens on the omd? Will you consider swapping to the new oly 12-40?

The 1/4000 is not an issue with the 12-35mm for me, but when I had the 25mm it most certainly was in bright sunlight at f/1.4

I'm not swapping the 12-35 for the 12-40, if it is better I'd expect it won't be by much and not worth loss in selling the 12-35, plus the 12-40 also looks a bit bigger too. Regardless of all that I'm getting good results from 12-35 so no need anyway :)

Brilliant, really stunning set. Can I ask you a question with regard to your focus. As in do you use AF or MF and if AF which point do you choose, example do you choose a point 1/3 into the frame? Cheers (y)

Thanks Anthony, for all these shots (long exposures with B&W 10 stopper), I use live view and select the area to focus in AF about 1/3 into the frame

Lovely images as always Julian, I particularly like the monochrome shot. I have succumbed to the desire for convenience and have been seduced by the prospect of a good quality walkabout super zoom. I've always been disappointed with the Canon versions of these lenses so it will be very interesting to see how the Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 performs when it arrives at the end of next week. For casual walks and city photography I'm often left wanting a longer focal length so if this is optically acceptable (as quite a few reviewers suggest it is) then it will be handy to have for those "out and about in decent light" situations.

Thanks Lindsay

I had the old 14-140 and found it great, although a bit heavy and unbalanced on smaller mft bodies, new version is smaller and should address this issue. I reckon it's an underrated lens, the sheer convenience of this one lens is great

IS anyone using the 7-14 panasonic lens for landscape work? If so are you using filters?

I tend to use the Oly 12mm F2 for my landscape work with a set of Lee Seven5 filters, but on occasion, I sometimes hanker after something a little wider but I know the 7-14 doesnt have a filter thread :(

Any thoughts and advice would be great, I know there are third party ways of fitting filters but they are mega expensive!

IS anyone using the 7-14 panasonic lens for landscape work? If so are you using filters?

I tend to use the Oly 12mm F2 for my landscape work with a set of Lee Seven5 filters, but on occasion, I sometimes hanker after something a little wider but I know the 7-14 doesnt have a filter thread :(

Any thoughts and advice would be great, I know there are third party ways of fitting filters but they are mega expensive!

I had one, but sold it on as I never really used it that often. Did get some good results, this taken on the EM5 at 8mm and never used filters

7741615030_a54fdfeba4_c.jpg

I'm trying to decide on my lens lineup, how well is the new 17mm f1.8 regarded? my favourite focal length is 35mm on FF and 24mm on APS-C so the 17mm would pretty much get me there (34mm) used to have the f2.8 and was pretty impressed with it but wasn't sure about the new one?

Trying to justify a 12, 17 and 25 lineup to myself....... although cost wise I could get a 7-14 for the same price as the Black 12mm....

Seriously considering one of these or a NEX6 instead on a DSLR for a beginner. Going on a safari and South Africa trip next year and want to come home with some great photos.

Obviously the safari needs a good lens but I think most of my photos will be landscapes. Any suggestions on a good starter set?

Olympus OM D E-M5 Kit (40-150) £689 hdewcameras

Olympus OM D E-M5 Kit (12-50) £705

I'm trying to decide on my lens lineup, how well is the new 17mm f1.8 regarded? my favourite focal length is 35mm on FF and 24mm on APS-C so the 17mm would pretty much get me there (34mm) used to have the f2.8 and was pretty impressed with it but wasn't sure about the new one?

Trying to justify a 12, 17 and 25 lineup to myself....... although cost wise I could get a 7-14 for the same price as the Black 12mm....

I have the 17mm F1.8, cracking lens, very sharp I find. I also like 35mm focal length too.

I wouldn't bother with the black versions, in no way are they worth the premium.

Back