Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Any thoughts on which makes the most sense for a beginner or are there better deals available?

Olympus OM D E-M5 Kit (40-150) £689 hdewcameras

Olympus OM D E-M5 Kit (12-50) £705 hdewcameras

most of my photos will be landscapes therefore thinking the 12-50 although dont want to if its not a good lens compared to the other.

Also going on safari next year so will need something with a decent zoom. Any suggestions without breaking the bank?

Either way you'd probably end up purchasing the other, Id go 12-50 and before you go on safari save a bit more and get the Panny 100-300.

Looks to be about £450 new for the Panasonic lens. What sort of price 2nd hand? Could always buy then sell on after safari if i don't think I will use much afterwards.

Whats the best lens available in the same price range for landscapes?

Can get the Panny for £300 used and sell for £300 used so wont lose. The 12-50 is supposed to be pretty decent with good macro, youd probably get more use out of it than the 40-150 as its more of a walk around lens.

You need to break down package cost so £565 body, that leaves a difference of £140 for a lens, you wont get anything better than that for that kind of money imo unless you look at the Panasonic 14mm 2.5, but that wont be anywhere near as useful.

Last edited:
I have the 17mm F1.8, cracking lens, very sharp I find. I also like 35mm focal length too.

I wouldn't bother with the black versions, in no way are they worth the premium.

Thanks mate, I might see if I can get one, tried the 12mm and I like that too but cost wise I think I'd be better off with either the 12/17 and the 25 as a good kit to get started.

Thanks mate, I might see if I can get one, tried the 12mm and I like that too but cost wise I think I'd be better off with either the 12/17 and the 25 as a good kit to get started.

Good idea. I have the 12mm too. Its my landscape lens. I tend to find the 17mm is good as a general walk around lens as such and I have the 25mm as well which I use in combo with the 17mm for street stuff on occasion, but because I like the bokeh and the look from it also (y)

This will be my 3rd OMD

The perfect Olympus customer :D(y)

My OM-D arrived back yesterday from it's trip to Portugal to have it's bezel crack sorted :eek:
They did an excellent job, it looks like new and wasn't away long enough to get a suntan :)
Great service Olympus.

Last couple from my holiday and yes you know the 12-35mm. After this holiday my Panasonic G5 and Oly E-P3 are resigned to the cupboard, can't for the life of me think why I purchased them or used them so much previously when I had the OM-D. Best overall camera I've yet owned :)

9937721455_81f7760043_c.jpg

9954411726_1e1f7e9834_c.jpg

Last couple from my holiday and yes you know the 12-35mm. After this holiday my Panasonic G5 and Oly E-P3 are resigned to the cupboard, can't for the life of me think why I purchased them or used them so much previously when I had the OM-D. Best overall camera I've yet owned :)

Both superb shots - but especially the first one which is outstanding - well done !!!
Regards
Rob

Anyone planning on upgrading to the OMD-E1?
Nope, although nice, not a big enough set of differences to justify £1299, also interested to see new Sony and Fuji releases expected middle of the month. But basically happy with the EM5

Last edited:
Nope, although nice, not a big enough set of differences to justify £1299, also interested to see new Sony and Fuji releases expected middle of the month. But basically happy with the EM5

Yep, I kinda agree. With the sharp depreciation 2nd hand EM5s are going around the £500 mark, making this a £800 upgrade :puke:. Don't get me wrong, I think the upgrades are significant, just not that significant!

And I can't see Oly selling these in large volumes when you can basically get a full frame Canon or Nikon for the same money, so I suspect (hope) we'll see some nice bundles in the spring (when there's ample supply and the early adopters and Four Third Lens crowd have had their fill).

Yep, I kinda agree. With the sharp depreciation 2nd hand EM5s are going around the £500 mark, making this a £800 upgrade :puke:. Don't get me wrong, I think the upgrades are significant, just not that significant!

And I can't see Oly selling these in large volumes when you can basically get a full frame Canon or Nikon for the same money, so I suspect (hope) we'll see some nice bundles in the spring (when there's ample supply and the early adopters and Four Third Lens crowd have had their fill).

I agree, kind of where I sit at the moment, my E-M5 still does all the tricks it ever did :)

I'm a weirdo who's heading the other way - I'd have liked an OM-D 'lite'; plastic body, no weather sealing but lighter and cheaper.
I've no intention of dropping £800 for a bigger camera, despite the bells and whistles.

I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but I've pondered about Nikon1...

Only had my 17mm f1.8 for just over a week but I love it already. By the way Chris you can get a JJC metal lens hood for it for £19 rather than paying £60 for the Oly one and it is every bit as good.:)

£19? Is there smething special about them?

The metal lens hoods I buy are under £3 with free postage and they're fine.

£19? Is there smething special about them?

The metal lens hoods I buy are under £3 with free postage and they're fine.

Well it's not one that screws into filter thread of the lens for a start, I will not use those type simply for the reason if the lens takes a knock on the lens hood (it protects the lens from damage) the filter thread of the lens has been know to be damaged and nothing else like filters will screw into it after, I have had it happen.

But whatever works for you is fine.:)

Last edited:
Well it's not one that screws into filter thread of the lens for a start, I will not use those type simply for the reason if the lens takes a knock on the lens hood (it protects the lens from damage) the filter thread of the lens has been know to be damaged and nothing else like filters will screw into it after, I have had it happen.

But whatever works for you is fine.:)

How does it attach? Just push on?

Like you say it could happen but it's never happened to me in 3 decades of using lens hoods. I accept that it could happen though.

The more reading ive been doing the more im unsure about buying one of these; im struggling to justify the high body price when (from what ive read) the difference between it and previous PENs is small, is this true?
However, every photo I see from it impresses me and ive wanted one for so long, just not sure if I can now justify buying one. What do people think?

Only you know if you can afford/justify it or not. EPL5 doesnt have, VF, 5 axis, weather sealing, better LCD and controls. If these arent important save the money.

Last edited:
Only you know if you can afford/justify it or not. EPL5 doesnt have, VF, 5 axis, weather sealing, better LCD and controls. If these arent important save the money.

Thats a fair point; I do need a viewfinder and I find it hard to get on with cameras which dont have one but I think maybe its down to what im used to. Weather sealing doenst matter to me and the better LCD and controls would be nice but again can live without them!
Is the stabilisation good? Im coming from an X100 which is really good at high ISO but had no stabilisation at all (f1.8 lens though) so dont really want to downgrade in that respect.

Thats a fair point; I do need a viewfinder and I find it hard to get on with cameras which dont have one but I think maybe its down to what im used to. Weather sealing doenst matter to me and the better LCD and controls would be nice but again can live without them!
Is the stabilisation good? Im coming from an X100 which is really good at high ISO but had no stabilisation at all (f1.8 lens though) so dont really want to downgrade in that respect.

Thing I dont really like about LCD only is that when its bright outside its pretty much useless.

I had the EPL5, much prefer the OMD. For the reasons mentioned.

I hated the X100 (I even bought it twice!), slow, poor menus, poor AF, slightly soft wide open, only positive was the sensor. The OMD IMO is 10x the camera. 5 Axis is amazing.

Last edited:
Let is know what you think! Don't always trust some of the review sites, not sure if they have certain sponsors paying them more.

Let is know what you think! Don't always trust some of the review sites, not sure if they have certain sponsors paying them more.

Yes, user reviews are much more useful and down-to-earth. It's possible that the IQ advantages have been slightly overstated by some of the official reviewers, so I'm taking a cautious approach to that - however I think most people are buying it from a performance perspective and I feel it does appear to have some very worthwhile improvements. The EM5 remains a cracker of a camera though.

I think that some of the reviewers have affiliate arrangements with certain camera stores, and some of them will enjoy the odd gift and hospitality bonus - very few of them are actually in the employment of the company concerned. It's fairly common for the camera company to fly a group of hand-picked prominent reviewers to an event where they'll be well taken care of - a fairly common marketing path, and it does keep the reviewers sweet.

I have no affiliations, by the way.

Bayonet fit! I didn't know the 17mm had channels for that.

Good.

Anyone used the 45mm f1.8 with the OM-D?
It's rated pretty highly, just wondering how it compares to the 17mm f2.8.

Last edited:
Anyone used the 45mm f1.8 with the OM-D?
It's rated pretty highly, just wondering how it compares to the 17mm f2.8.

I used the 45mm on my OM-D, very nice little lens, sharp and light. Don't know how it compares, I haven't used the 17mm

P5090461_zps85749774.jpg

P4230015_zpsf0ce8fb9.jpg

Back