Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Another day of testing and if nothing else my arms and back are thanking me for the lighter weight :) I tried the 1.4TC today so 1400mm equivalent on this shot :)

OM-1MarkII & 150-400mm F4.5 TC + MC-14
  • ƒ/8.0 700.0 mm 1/320 160 ISO

Meadow Pipit @ 1400mm by Mick Erwin, on Flickr
Stunning quality for a focal length of 1400 mm! That's 28x magnification. o_O. You'll be giving Black Fox a run for his money soon.

Hi, as I don't have my OM-1 with me today, can somebody confirm something that I hadn't thought of before please ?

On the Mode dial the OM-1 has 4 custom setting slots (C1-C4). My question is are these saved settings unique to if you are in photo mode or video mode, or are they shared between both.

So, for instance, if you take C1, could you in photo mode set up settings for say BIF (C-AF+Tracking, Bird Detect, 10FPS, Shutter Priority, 1/2000 sec etc.) and then when in Movie mode, use the same C1 setting for say C4K, 50FPS, OM-Log 400, 10 bit. Or do you have to use say 2 of the slots for Photo settings and 2 for Video settings ?

I think it's going to be the latter as the OM-1 doesn't have dedicated Photo / Video switch separate from the mode dial therefore the camera wouldn't know when setting to say C1 if you are shooting Video's or photos ? It's just that I was looking at the Sony A6700 and it's customs settings are independent for Video and Photo under the same slot, but then that camera does have a dedicated Photo / Video switch.

Last edited:
Hi, as I don't have my OM-1 with me today, can somebody confirm something that I hadn't thought of before please ?

On the Mode dial the OM-1 has 4 custom setting slots (C1-C4). My question is are these saved settings unique to if you are in photo mode or video mode, or are they shared between both.

So, for instance, if you take C1, could you in photo mode set up settings for say BIF (C-AF+Tracking, Bird Detect, 10FPS, Shutter Priority, 1/2000 sec etc.) and then when in Movie mode, use the same C1 setting for say C4K, 50FPS, OM-Log 400, 10 bit. Or do you have to use say 2 of the slots for Photo settings and 2 for Video settings ?

I think it's going to be the latter as the OM-1 doesn't have dedicated Photo / Video switch separate from the mode dial therefore the camera wouldn't know when setting to say C1 if you are shooting Video's or photos ? It's just that I was looking at the Sony A6700 and it's customs settings are independent for Video and Photo under the same slot, but then that camera does have a dedicated Photo / Video switch.
To video I have to rotate dial to movie mode option which holds its own settings. C1-C4 is all photography.

My first published images from my recent trip to Chobe NP (Botswana) and a reserve outside The Kruger.
The elphant and Fish Eagle shots were taken in poor light following a thunderstorm and in poor light. You can see the rain drops on the Eagle's wings.
The Eagle and the Roller are with my new 150-400mm and the Elephant with the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro. All with the OM1.

Chobe Bull Elephant by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr
Lilac Breasted Roller.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr
African Fish Eagle 3.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking for some help. I have a em1 Mkiii, I want the focus point to be more visible before I press the shutter button. If it only appears after half-pressing the shutter button, it's too late and I have to move the focus point and focus again.).At the moment it is light grey and hard to see.

Looking for some help. I have a em1 Mkiii, I want the focus point to be more visible before I press the shutter button. If it only appears after half-pressing the shutter button, it's too late and I have to move the focus point and focus again.).At the moment it is light grey and hard to see.
Look in the manual for
Viewfinder Framing Grid Options
Menu-Settings-Grid/Other Displays

You’ll be able to change to any colour.

Look in the manual for

You could also set up back button focusing, which will allow you to keep the indicator on with out pressing the shutter button

i would say yes you can . If your using setting for b.i.f in a C 2 mode for instance just go back to settings install that into C4 as well ..once installed open it up in C4 and then input your video etc changes and save it ..job done .. I think that’s what you were asking

Look in the manual for

Hi Trevor, thanks for the help, I have found it.When you go into settings it gives the colour as RGB with numbers.Once i sussed this out i got it to green.

This might be a bit controversial, so please bear with me. I'm shooting more and more video of late rather than stills, and honestly have to say that I'm less impressed with the OM-1 than I thought I'd be as a video tool. Having had pretty much all the OM cameras (EM-1, EM1 MKII, EM1, MKIII, EM-5 II and now the OM-1), I've been able to go back over earlier footage shot with the EM1 II and III bodies and to my eye, the videos are much more pleasing to the eye straight out of camera - crisper, sharper and better colours, and the Video IBIS seemed to work better.

I've steered away from 10 bit on the OM-1 as you can then only use the OM-Log 400 or HLG colour profiles, which involved lots of colour grading, so tend to shoot in H264 8 bit and typically 25fps, and use the built in standard colour profiles, but I'm still not entirely convinced that the OM-1 is as good as earlier models ? Bit of an unfair comparison but when I shoot on my Nikon Z8, the video's out of camera looking fantastic as they do from my diminutive Sony RX100 VII pocket camera (and that only shoot up to 25fps in 8 bit).

I know I could shoot in 10 bit OM-Log 400 then grade with a LUT in Davinci, but it's yet another step that I didn't have to do on earlier models, and DPReview seemed in indicate that 10 bit footage was a fair bit shaper than 8 bit, but why ?.

Anyone else noticed this or am I alone in shooting Video ? As a image making tool, the OM-1 is brilliant, but I seem to be getting more frustrated at it's Video performance (and no I don't want to purchase a G9 II :D :D )

Last edited:
I am trying to claim my cash back for the recent £200 off purchasing lenses with OM Systems and I am getting a real runaround trying to chase payment etc as it is now 3 weeks since I bought the lens, registered it and sent through the invoice to OM Systems etc.

Is anyone else having issues as I can't even find a phone number for them in the UK to have a discussion with them? I filled out the online customer support sheet explaining what was going on but thats bounced back as undelivered. Not a happy bunny at the moment!
I had an immediate acknowledgement email saying they would confirm approval within 14 working days which is up today. I haven't heard anything else since then so will try the email address provided. Epson did me out of £60 cashback at the end of last year so I'm not letting this one go.

I had an immediate acknowledgement email saying they would confirm approval within 14 working days which is up today. I haven't heard anything else since then so will try the email address provided. Epson did me out of £60 cashback at the end of last year so I'm not letting this one go.

Interesting. I have emailed them multiple times over the last week with my proof of purchase from WEX, request for them to phone me back etc. but have yet to get a response beyond the "we will get back to you in a few days". Very frustrating.

Interesting. I have emailed them multiple times over the last week with my proof of purchase from WEX, request for them to phone me back etc. but have yet to get a response beyond the "we will get back to you in a few days". Very frustrating.
Are OM active on twitter / FB etc? might be worth trying there especially if you have not had a confirmation email from them

Are OM active on twitter / FB etc? might be worth trying there especially if you have not had a confirmation email from them
Unfortunately I dont use any of them now having had my profiles scammed etc. but I can have a look to see whether they go on OM System Talk another sites. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just a quick note for any Mac users on here that are nervous about updating firmware on there cameras ..yesterday I watched a u.tube video by DAX smith on updating firmware using your phone app . It’s really easy and only takes around ten minutes to do . Now running my OM1 on V.1.6

Last edited:
Err..think you mean V1.6 Jeff unless you have some super secret firmware we aren’t aware of :cool:

Not on FB as far as I can see. I wouldn't know about Xitter.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I dont use any of them now having had my profiles scammed etc. but I can have a look to see whether they go on OM System Talk another sites. Thanks for the suggestion.

OM Systems finally contacted me by email and will honour the cash back offer and I am now awaiting payment. A nice £200 off buying a new OM Systems 40-150 F4 Pro from WEX which is great.

OM Systems finally contacted me by email and will honour the cash back offer and I am now awaiting payment. A nice £200 off buying a new OM Systems 40-150 F4 Pro from WEX which is great.
Good news mate.

That's good news. There are a number on DPReview in the same situation. There is an opinion that it will actually take 30 days and the email is in error. 30 days for me is next weekend so I'll give it until then and see if I need to email or not.

Last edited:
There are a number on DPReview in the same situation. There is an opinion that it will actually take 30 days and the email is in error. 30 days for me is next weekend so I'll give it until then and see if I need to email or not.
30 days makes sense as buyer has 28 days to return goods bought online, can't remember which company but did hear of people claiming cash back then returning goods- no proof of that just read it somewhere a while ago

30 days makes sense as buyer has 28 days to return goods bought online, can't remember which company but did hear of people claiming cash back then returning goods- no proof of that just read it somewhere a while ago
It was canon a few years back

Reactions: nog
Thought this might be of interest to some (maybe not :D ), but as I'm doing more and more video (as well as stills), I've been really spoiled by my Nikon Z8 and Z9 for video capabilities and AF tracking performance in Video. It's something I've been struggling with for some time on the OM-1. Sometimes it will grab focus and stay with the subject (say a bird), but more often than not it either can't find the subject and I have to manually override the focus to get it on the subject, or else it will grab focus and then just drift off and never really recover. I have also disliked that to shoot in the much sharper 10 bit modes (H265), you only have a choice of OM-Log 400 or HLG picture controls, and all the photo picture profiles are locked out. If the OM-1 MK II had improved the video considerably then I might have eaten my words and upgraded (or added one) to the collection, but as I understand it it's pretty much the same as the OM-1 MK1.

Now don't get me wrong as an image taking machine the OM-1 is brilliant and easily a match in many ways (albeit not in ISO performance and DOF), for my Z8 and Z9 as a birding camera, and we all know the 300mm F4 Pro for it's size and performance has pretty much no peers. In any case after all this preamble, to the point of my post. I wanted a small and light setup that has much better video capabilities but isn't Z8 / Z9 in size or weight for when I'm travelling or on holiday. I tried a friends new G9 II (as I could then use all my lenses), but something about it and its performance just didn't grab me. Cue the Sony A6700. Now I'm like many of you on here I guess, in that I swore I would never own a Sony product (don't know what made me so prejudice towards them ?), but after recently using my little Sony RX100 VII more and loving the AF tracking capabilities as well as the output from this tiny 1" sensor, I knew I had to give it's big brother a try.

Well I ordered an A6700, 18-135, 10-20 and 15mm F1.4 and it arrived this weekend. Part of me really didn't want to like it and return the whole kit (I feel like I'm cheating on my OM-1), but to be honest it's a really nice camera with some caveats. Whilst it's Sony's flagship APS-C model, it's a shame that it only has 1 card slot, only a 2.36mp viewfinder and a low res 1mp rear screen, but that's about where the negatives end. It feels really nice in the hand with a nice grip, is smaller and lighter than my OM-1 (despite having a bigger APS-C sized sensor), is very responsive and crucially the AF performance in video is stunning. Once it locks on to your chosen subject (and it does really quicky) it just sticks to it like glue. I tested it on my two black Cocker Spaniels running around the garden and not only did it track them perfectly, but actually maintained focus on the eyes. I was able to shoot in 50p (oversampled from a 6k sensor), at 10 bit 4.2.2 colour depth and the results where amazing on my screen. I then found Sony's S-Cinetone picture profile and wow...just wow. No more video grading for me as the resultant video files look pretty much perfect to me straight out of camera. It really is night and day from the OM-1.

So for me, rather than add another half stop of IBIS, or add new AI features (as they have with the MKII), if OM Systems concentrated on completely overhauling the video capabilities of the OM-1 bringing it more into line with what other brands are currently offering or surpasses them, then in my humble opinion this would really make the OM-1 (or whatever a future model is called), the ultimate all round camera, which as it stands (for me at least - and I may be a voice of only 1) is only true of the OM-1 (MK I or MK II) in stills mode at present.

I appreciate not everyone shoots video (I didn't until a few years ago), but I'm now really enjoying the process of making mini Movies etc as it's so different from the photo taking process.

Last edited:
Hmmm I very nearly took the same path Andrew . And may yet do so it’s just life and it’s unexpected bills that# holding me back

Hey peeps.
I am looking at buying a OM-D E-M1 Mk2 as I see they're about £400 at the moment. I'm not familiar with the 4/3 system as I shoot normally a full frame Pentax DSLR. From watching a few YT videos I see it's a bit of a classic cult camera. I did think about the Mk3 but I don't think I can justify the extra £250 ish for features that I may not benefit from.

I'm thinking this camera is the best one for me as I want an all weather camera smaller lighter camera that will perform well.

Are they still a good camera to buy, or for the money is there a better other camera body?

I know nothing about the 4/3 lenses so these are a minefield.

I've seen a few lenses that might be good?

Sigma 16mm f1.4 ( Fast prime lens )
Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ ( This I thought for a lens for videoing as well as a walkaround lens as it is weather sealed also? )
Olympus 12-45 f4 pro ( I think this is the same as the above but a constant aperture and still weather sealed? )
Olympus 45mm f1.8 ( Fast portrait lens? )

Knowing nothing about 4/3 lenses, are these any good? I'm not going to buy them all but just covering bases with what lens is good and what is bad!!

Hope you can all help me as I'm wet behind the ears with 4/3!

Hey peeps.
I am looking at buying a OM-D E-M1 Mk2 as I see they're about £400 at the moment. I'm not familiar with the 4/3 system as I shoot normally a full frame Pentax DSLR. From watching a few YT videos I see it's a bit of a classic cult camera. I did think about the Mk3 but I don't think I can justify the extra £250 ish for features that I may not benefit from.

I'm thinking this camera is the best one for me as I want an all weather camera smaller lighter camera that will perform well.

Are they still a good camera to buy, or for the money is there a better other camera body?

Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ ( This I thought for a lens for videoing as well as a walkaround lens as it is weather sealed also? )
Olympus 12-45 f4 pro ( I think this is the same as the above but a constant aperture and still weather sealed? )

Knowing nothing about 4/3 lenses, are these any good? I'm not going to buy them all but just covering bases with what lens is good and what is bad!!

O.k start with the camera . the mkii is fine but with one major caveat the grips tend To stretch and come off . The mkiii didn’t suffer from this so worth the extra .i sold my mkii after a year due to that . Its worse if you have oily skin as it seems to effect it more
Any of the models will happily shoot in electronic silent shutter but the mkiii is better
have you considered the E.M1X a bit bigger but twin processors built like a tank .
As for lenses I have used many over the years virtually all Olympus lenses are pin sharp , if you go in to pro lenses they are razor sharp ..it just depends on the focal length you need for what you shoot ..
do be careful though that your buying a MFT lens as there are also four thirds ones of the same lengths You need a adapter to use them on a MFT body . The system works well though and with no major problems . Any noise is easily overcome these days in PP . IF you do have any problems ,rare but it can happen the repair facility in Portugal is superb and can sort out most problems .
Most lenses compared to other systems are lighter ,cheaper and better made ..
PS I have the sigma 54mm F1.4 it’s a stunner and can virtually shoot in the dark a quarter the size of the 16mm one and razor sharp

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that. I didn't know that MFT and 4/3 were 2 different beasts! I hope the lenses I mentioned are all MFT then? Told you I was wet behind the ears with this format!

The grip coming off doesn't sound good! Maybe I need to try and look out for a cheap Mk3 then. I saw the E.M1X but its in the same price range of the Mk3 OM-D EM1, maybe I can get lucky on eBay!

I would scrap the 12-50 as it’s very old ,all the others are fine .the sigma 16mm though is a big lump .. as I said over the years I have tried quite a lot of lenses and have in all honesty yet to find a really bad one .. even the dirt cheap Chinese Yi lens I have is pin sharp
You don’t state your intended useage though which makes it harder to suggest a body . There are other alternatives depending on wants and needs I.e there’s the 5 series , the 10 series and if you want a pocket camera and are just happy with rear touch screen the EP-L series . All do the same job but differently

In terms of intended use. I mainly shoot landscapes but also I shoot the everyday. I shoot the occasional wedding also. I used to have a pair of Pentax K1 bodies but sold one when we were short. I need a second body for when I shoot another wedding.
Image quality is important as I sell images on my website, being rugged and weather sealed also is important. I used to have a Fuji XT20 that was great as I could carry it around easily as it was light and discreet but I didn't use it all the time as it lacked weather sealing.

I know nothing of what is a good or bad lens for the Olympus system, hence me saying a load. I'd like to shoot video with it as a blogging camera maybe for when my DJI pocket 2 isn't charged etc.

Hey peeps.

I use two E-M1ii for my photography and I still manage fine. One of my cameras has a slightly loose piece of grip but it's been like that since I got it.
How much video do you want to do?
For serious video you may want a Panasonic camera.

Try and stick to pro lenses if you want the sharpest but even the kit lenses are good.

Back