Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Stunning shots Gordon

All lovely but for me the Baboon portrait and Elephant Sunset are that bit special

TFS :)

I have recently returned from a week in Botswana. The group had a variety of camera makes and some with very high megapixels but none had the reach of the OM1 with the 150 -400 lens which was used for the vast majority of my images.
_3160341-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Lilac Breasted Roller by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
pan-568.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Baboon portrait by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
sunset on the Chobe River by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
That elephant shot's a bit special Gordon.

Fab shot of the bird in the tree - the one that eats elephant dung. I only ever saw them on the ground.
All great shots :)

That elephant shot's a bit special Gordon.

Fab shot of the bird in the tree - the one that eats elephant dung. I only ever saw them on the ground.
All great shots :)
@Bebop
Which of the two birds in the tree(s) eats Elephant dung???

@Bebop
Which of the two birds in the tree(s) eats Elephant dung???
The third one down - I will check my keywords and find out what it is called - probably a dung eating bird :LOL:

Edit: It's a Red-billed Hornbill.... and how I only ever saw them...

Processed with Capture One so no noise reduction and ISO 2000

Further edit - it probably is eating insects in the dung, and not the dung itself....
20231007-164902-OA076483-c1.jpg

Last edited:
The third one down - I will check my keywords and find out what it is called - probably a dung eating bird :LOL:

Edit: It's a Red-billed Hornbill.... and how I only ever saw them...

Processed with Capture One so no noise reduction and ISO 2000
View attachment 419099
Interesting, is it eating the dung or insects feeding on the dung ?

Interesting, is it eating the dung or insects feeding on the dung ?
Ah I had edited my post to say - I think it was eating the insects in the dung, rather than the dung... quite possibly the sort of beetle in Gordon's shot.

I notice on the BBC site today there was an item about the problem the elephants are causing in Botswana, and they have offered to give some Elephants to Germany (who have banned imports I think of hunting trophies), to help them alleviate the problem.

Ah I had edited my post to say - I think it was eating the insects in the dung, rather than the dung... quite possibly the sort of beetle in Gordon's shot.

I notice on the BBC site today there was an item about the problem the elephants are causing in Botswana, and they have offered to give some Elephants to Germany (who have banned imports I think of hunting trophies), to help them alleviate the problem.
I have heard a few news items on BBC world service over the past 2-4 weeks about this and it raised concerns.......IIRC they spoke of Botswana having Africa's largest elephant population and they allow trophy hunting as a method of population control :( hence the 'threat' to send 10,000 elephants to Germany and see how they cope with them! NB I think it was the President of Botswana who said that?

I have heard a few news items on BBC world service over the past 2-4 weeks about this and it raised concerns.......IIRC they spoke of Botswana having Africa's largest elephant population and they allow trophy hunting as a method of population control :( hence the 'threat' to send 10,000 elephants to Germany and see how they cope with them! NB I think it was the President of Botswana who said that?
Yes. All as I read. Without some sort of culling, it seems the elephants become a problem, affecting the food supply and habitat of the indiginous people .

I’m going into Botswana tomorrow (Chobe) so I’ll try to get some up to date relevant information.
Have safe journey and a wonderful safari :)

I will look forward to hearing of & about where you went and seeing the photographic evidence;)

has anyone had experience of using the handheld live nd feature found in the e-m1 iii or o-m5? Are there any cons compared to using filters? Would anyone consider that reason alone enough to upgrade?

Yes. All as I read. Without some sort of culling, it seems the elephants become a problem, affecting the food supply and habitat of the indiginous people .
The elephants were there in huge numbers before humans started killing them and using land they roamed on.

Has everyone with OM1s updated to v1.6 firmware? I did mine yesterday went out and was hoping to check on static birds to see if AF had improved but no birds sat around for me. :LOL:
Also in the process of updating for the first time ever it didn't transfer my settings back correctly so i had to use load and luckily you have access to the auto saved settings.

Only thing I have noticed so far is the font has changed on the display in the view finder, i am guessing to match how the mkii looks.

I have just got myself a E-M1-mkiii, and love it. Coming over from Canon , and i like the lower weight.These pix were taken of a wee tree Bumble bee that landed on my arm.Managed to take pix with camera in one hand and bee on the other.Used Olympus 60mm 2.8 with Godox flash.
b3.jpgb5.jpg

I have just got myself a E-M1-mkiii, and love it. Coming over from Canon , and i like the lower weight.These pix were taken of a wee tree Bumble bee that landed on my arm.Managed to take pix with camera in one hand and bee on the other.Used Olympus 60mm 2.8 with Godox flash.
Very nice, I am also about to switch to the E-M1 mkiii. Which Godox flash did you go for?

I am trying to claim my cash back for the recent £200 off purchasing lenses with OM Systems and I am getting a real runaround trying to chase payment etc as it is now 3 weeks since I bought the lens, registered it and sent through the invoice to OM Systems etc.

Is anyone else having issues as I can't even find a phone number for them in the UK to have a discussion with them? I filled out the online customer support sheet explaining what was going on but thats bounced back as undelivered. Not a happy bunny at the moment!

I am trying to claim my cash back for the recent £200 off purchasing lenses with OM Systems and I am getting a real runaround trying to chase payment etc as it is now 3 weeks since I bought the lens, registered it and sent through the invoice to OM Systems etc.

Is anyone else having issues as I can't even find a phone number for them in the UK to have a discussion with them? I filled out the online customer support sheet explaining what was going on but thats bounced back as undelivered. Not a happy bunny at the moment!

Have you had an email confirming they have received your claim and it does say can take 30 days

Last edited:

Have you had an email confirming they have received your claim and it does say can take 30 days

No, I cant find any such response. I am having some issues with Sky/Yahoo email at the moment and I am currently moving to another provider as I am fed up with their poor performance. I have emailed OMS again via another email address to ask what the score is regarding my claim but the lack of a phone number to a customer services type person is somewhat frustrating.

Back