Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The newer Olympii (including I think the e-M5) do have the ability to switch on/off the Lumix lens OIS, although with the e-M5 specifically you should use the inbuilt IBIS since it is so good.
The smaller e-pM2 & e-pL5 are better using the lens OIS and they CAN (great results with the longer Lumix lenses), unlike the older models which need a switch on the lens to be able to use that system.

I've currently got all of my (significant) Canon DSLR gear for sale on eBay as I'm fed up of the missed moments because I don't want to carry the bulk with me very often. I'm looking at getting an E-PL5 twin kit (14-24 II and 40-150 free 8GB card) and a 60mm f2.8 macro from Bristol Cameras which is currently at a very reasonable £1058 to collect the lot. What else should I get to go with it, lens wise?

My budget should be around £600-700 with what I'm selling (at that isn't being OVER optimistic), just want some advice.

Also, I couldn't believe the sensor was rated better for noise by DxO mark than my 7D but then I remembered the age of the 7D versus this kit.

Cheers for any advice folks

Not sure exactly which lens you mean Keith but if you're talking about the PZ 14-42 then the lens stabilization is automatically disabled when mounted to a non Panasonic body.

The newer Olympii (including I think the e-M5) do have the ability to switch on/off the Lumix lens OIS, although with the e-M5 specifically you should use the inbuilt IBIS since it is so good.
The smaller e-pM2 & e-pL5 are better using the lens OIS and they CAN (great results with the longer Lumix lenses), unlike the older models which need a switch on the lens to be able to use that system.

Thanks
One I have is the Panasonic Lumix H-FS014042 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 supplied as kit lens with the G3- cheapie with the plastic mount and without a VR switch on the lens, replaced the 14-45mm. Olympus kit lens looks huge in pics but have not seen one in the flesh, live in the sticks and the few currys etc I have been to did not have them in.

Oly and 75mm f1.8 stag from Tom Doun, Scotland. Rain, rain and more rain with a bit of snow but hey it was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed I have one of the affected cracked lcd bezels so off to Portugal again for a few days for repair. Anyone else had this problem?

Just noticed I have one of the affected cracked lcd bezels so off to Portugal again for a few days for repair. Anyone else had this problem?

Oh no, not off to Portugal again...
I've not even checked my serial number, not planning too either :)

Mine had the crack and I had no intention of doing anything about it till I dropped the camera. They replaced the screen, which didn't need it, so they seem to have acknowledged that they are at fault.

Nice reportage shots Stewart, are these mono out of the camera or converted in PP?
The bokeh on the 2nd shot looks a little strange though looking at that hat in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone using the Oly 60mm 2.8 Macro? I've heard very good things about it but not many people seem to have it, not using my 45mm 1.8 at all so thought I might trade that in to put towards it.

I would probably only use it for macro as my 75mm 1.8 seems to live on my camera for 99% of my 'out and about' photography now, it even performed well with motorsport yesterday. Comfortably the best lens I've ever owned.

Is anyone using the Oly 60mm 2.8 Macro? I've heard very good things about it but not many people seem to have it, not using my 45mm 1.8 at all so thought I might trade that in to put towards it.

I would probably only use it for macro as my 75mm 1.8 seems to live on my camera for 99% of my 'out and about' photography now, it even performed well with motorsport yesterday. Comfortably the best lens I've ever owned.

It's a very nice little lens, sharp easy to use, weather and dust proof too.
Here's one of the first images I took with mine.... fly on a blind.

Last edited:
Wow that's close (and sharp!)

That's a brilliant shot Huw - without pictures like that none of us would know what a fly actually looks like - eeek!!

And now I am wanting that lens ... ! (-:

Not that I could hold a macro lens steadily enough to get anything decent of course.

Wow that's close (and sharp!)

Thanks Chris, I should have also said that I recommend it :)

That's a brilliant shot Huw - without pictures like that none of us would know what a fly actually looks like - eeek!!

Not that I could hold a macro lens steadily enough to get anything decent of course.

Thanks Lindsay, glad you like the fly :)
Not only is this little lens great for macro, it also proves pretty useful for the odd portrait shot.

I agree with you fully Lindsay! It's a brilliant image, and I want that lens. In fact I think I would have been given it for Christmas by my hubby, had I not pointed out that without my stick I do sway a lot, and macro would be very hit and miss!
Mind you think of the money saved!!

Huw, I shudder at trying to hold something steady at high magnifications, even with a reasonable shutter speed. Would you mind sharing the settings you were able to achieve for your fly?

1/60 second, f/9, Aperture priority, ISO 400, Flash fired

Olympus IBIS is of course excellent ;)

Edit: I would add that normally I use a faster shutter speed than that, I also prefer to shoot without flash assistance if possible.

Last edited:
Super shot Huw, I have the Leica 45 rather than the oly 60mm. The 45 is equally an excellent bit of kit l might add. ;)

Thank Huw. I have a Raynox 150 so I might start practising with that, but I've read so many good things about the 60mm macro, so tempting to save up for it.

Looking forward to seeing some images Lindsay :)

Super shot Huw, I have the Leica 45 rather than the oly 60mm. The 45 is equally an excellent bit of kit l might add. ;)

Thanks Alby :)

Hi can anybody recommend a wrist strap for the omd Don't really like the optech ones many thanks in advance:)

Hi can anybody recommend a wrist strap for the omd Don't really like the optech ones many thanks in advance:)

If you're looking for a wrist strap this is the only one that comes to mind but you will need to have both parts of the HLD-6 grip fitted.

Does anybody have the gariz half leather case on there omd camera or could you recommended something similar Also looking for a wrist strap again looking at gariz or dsptch don't like neck straps any thoughts welcome:)

Manythanks

I'm also considering the Gariz case - the OMD is a little too small for me so I think I need either the grip (I've a wanted ad up for one, by the way) or maybe a case like the Gariz that offers a little more depth.

I picked up a 12/2 last week too so now I've got a solid OMD system (12/2, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8). All I need is some time to get out and take pictures.

I'm also considering the Gariz case - the OMD is a little too small for me so I think I need either the grip (I've a wanted ad up for one, by the way) or maybe a case like the Gariz that offers a little more depth.

I picked up a 12/2 last week too so now I've got a solid OMD system (12/2, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8). All I need is some time to get out and take pictures.

The grip is fitted to mine probably 90% of the time, either with the additional battery housing or without.
I prefer the handling with it fitted rather than without. I only go 'gripless' if I'm travelling really light with a couple of primes :)

Tried the olympus grip in the shop only liked it with top part of the grip found it a little bit bulky with battery part on as we'll shame they didn't sell them separately that's why i liked the idea of a Half case that's a nice set up you've got :) thanks for you reply

Ah well, I fell for getting the full grip in the end. Will have a try once it arrives.

I took a walk with the 12/2 this morning and took a snap of a house in a local park. Nothing special, and probably over-processed as I'm heavy-handed with all my landscapes for some reason. But the lens looks fine and the auto-bracketing on the OM-D is very handy (and way better than the XP1 which is ultra limited):

8529378224_1498970135_o.jpg

Thanks Lindsay, Julian. I struggle with PP of landscapes as I seem to dial everything up to 11 and then add one too many Color Efex filters just to make sure. I need my wife's sensible voice most times to tell me to tone it down. The original was very flat so I had my work cut out to get much out of it (it was only a test snap really). I like this park a lot though. Avenue House was the home of the Stephens family (of the Stephens' ink fame) and there are lovely landscaped gardens open to the public now.

The pictures on this thread are fantastic! I've chosen the right camera!
I'm coming to this camera super enthusiastically from a Canon 7D. I had only two lenses, both L zooms, a 24-70 mm and a 70-200 mm. There was not much need for lens changing and not much loss of image quality compared with primes. Would you all advise going the same zoom route with the EM5 or investing in primes. If so where should I start please? In the past I have mostly shot landscapes, architecture and motor sport but with this camera I'm going to start street photography.

Back