Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Assuming you can live with a slightly older/cheaper body you might make some cash between it and your D7100 although you might miss a bit DR/High ISO performance, something like a G3/G5+12-35 might not be too far off your D7100+17-50. If you want to stick with top of the line (O-MD/EP5/G6) you will have to compensate with some cash.

Have you considered the Fuji X system? the X-E1+18-55 can be had s/h for less than a new Pana 12-35 alone, and about as much as a s/h one. It is a cracking piece of glass too and not really any bigger. It is not a a constant 2.8 (it is 2.8-4) but it has a really good OIS.

There is already a brilliant 35mm 1.4 which can be found s/h in the classifieds for less than £300 (bought me one last week for 285 and have seen one for 275), there is a 2.8 60mm as well for marginally more than the 35 s/h. There is no ultra wide zoom yet but there will be one near the end of the year if you can wait. Not sure about the Samyang.

Hi Vasilis,

i have considered the Fuji system. I have an x100, but really don't think i could use a fuji a main system at the moment dut to the AF system. WHile it has improved, i find the focus point selction very clumsy and the overall af speed a long way behind my d7100. I have to admit i haven't yet tried the xe1, but form what i have read it doesn't seem to be for me (but no doubt fuji are expending a lot of time on money on improving the system, and the lens selection is great).

Im going to have to try one though before dropping my money on a more compact system (if indeed i go that route...)

My question to you is whether you really need all that? There is quite a bit of overlap and very wide focussed. Also the 12-35 is as good as equivalent to a Nikon 24-70, huge step up from that 17-50 you had. I would argue that you could just get the 12-35 and take a step or two backward :D Perhaps even get a Olympus 45mm f1.8 instead of the 60mm f2.8 and use extension tubes and focus manually if you are really into macro...Job done and tons of money saved (y)

Hi Dejongj

You are right, it is wide focussed!

I have spent the last few years building up my system, buying and selling lenses i don't use.

The wide zoom, standard zoom and macro are the mainstays of my system, so definitely need to have an equivalent. If i do go to a compact system, i will also be disposing of my x100, so will need a wide or standard prime to make a compact carry kit. The one lens that isn't essential is the fisheye, but that is the cheapest lens on my potential kit list.

Re the 12-35, is it that much of a step up in output quality from the 17-50? Because that lens is one good lens. And the 12-35 is the only fast standard zoom on m43 that i can see.

And stepping back changes the perspective, so doesn't really work form me..

The lack of a fast standard zoom has (in my opinion) really crippled m4/3rds sales to serious DSLR users over the last few years.
In my opinion the Lumix 12-35 F2.8 doesn't fix the problem : too short on the long end for the same kind of uses,
even the old 4/3rds system had much better lenses in terms of FL & aperture.

I'd say the Lumix 35-100 is a lot more worthwhile and stick with primes for the wider stuff ...

In my opinion the Lumix 12-35 F2.8 doesn't fix the problem : too short on the long end for the same kind of uses,
even the old 4/3rds system had much better lenses in terms of FL & aperture.

I'd say the Lumix 35-100 is a lot more worthwhile and stick with primes for the wider stuff ...
And... I'd disagree completely :) There isn't a current fast 24-> >70 standard zoom there. The 12-35 is on my camera 90% of the time (I haven't used primes since getting the 12-35 and 35-100. Of course, if narrow DoF is your thang, f2.8 isn't going to cut it, but for all else I find the 12-35 does for me. Of course, I don't have a 5-axis IBIS system as I'm on a Panasonic body, so your mileage may vary as you get the IBIS for lenses like the 25/1.4...

And... I'd disagree completely :) There isn't a current fast 24-> >70 standard zoom there. The 12-35 is on my camera 90% of the time (I haven't used primes since getting the 12-35 and 35-100. Of course, if narrow DoF is your thang, f2.8 isn't going to cut it, but for all else I find the 12-35 does for me. Of course, I don't have a 5-axis IBIS system as I'm on a Panasonic body, so your mileage may vary as you get the IBIS for lenses like the 25/1.4...

I'm with you Andy, since getting the 12-35 and 35-100 I've just about ditched use of primes. But each to their own :)

Another in agreement here, my m4/3rds 'all weather kit' comprises of the E-M5, 12-35 and 35-100, plus the 75-300 for more clement days :)
May reinvest in the 60 mm macro at some point though.

Hi Vasilis,

i have considered the Fuji system. I have an x100, but really don't think i could use a fuji a main system at the moment dut to the AF system. WHile it has improved, i find the focus point selction very clumsy and the overall af speed a long way behind my d7100. I have to admit i haven't yet tried the xe1, but form what i have read it doesn't seem to be for me (but no doubt fuji are expending a lot of time on money on improving the system, and the lens selection is great).

Im going to have to try one though before dropping my money on a more compact system (if indeed i go that route...)

Risking sounding like a proper fan boy (which I might be a little bit anyway) I wanted to point out a few things:

1. AF speed on the X-E1 after the July firmware update has been really rather good, don't judge by the X100 AF speed it has nothing on it.

2. Not sure how you choose AF points on the X100 but after the June firmware you can press the down arrow and then moves the focus point selector.

3. If your concerns are about tracking AF, then don't expect the m4/3 cameras to be much better if at all than Fuji, even the OMD can't track fast/well enough moving subjects.

Risking sounding like a proper fan boy (which I might be a little bit anyway) I wanted to point out a few things:

1. AF speed on the X-E1 after the July firmware update has been really rather good, don't judge by the X100 AF speed it has nothing on it.

2. Not sure how you choose AF points on the X100 but after the June firmware you can press the down arrow and then moves the focus point selector.

3. If your concerns are about tracking AF, then don't expect the m4/3 cameras to be much better if at all than Fuji, even the OMD can't track fast/well enough moving subjects.

Hi Vrapan,

Called into Jessops for a play with the xe1 and the omd. Really wanted to like the Fuji as I like my x100 and hoped the xe1 had greatly improved focus speed. Unfortunately it hadn't imho. I am going to ask if they can update the firmware an call back. The omd OTOH had SLR like focus speed, and the evf was also much better than the Fuji. Got out my camera when I got home and it feels huge! Just wish I had enough cash to buy an omd to run along side my current kit....

Has anyone shot with an OMD and an X-pro1?

I love my OMD, dont get me wrong, so much so I have a pair for use with my prime lenses. I have been reading a lot about the fuji recently and just wonder if I am missing something.......

I "think" its just different, offers a different "look", believe it maybe better at high iso than the OMD, has an equally cool retro look at the OMD but its a rangefinder design.

Be really interesting to hear what others have to say on this, i realise this is the OMD thread but I feel its directly related. I might also ask this in the X-pro1 thread also.

I have seen the recent offer on till 31st August for the X-pro1, 35 1.4 and free 18mm f2 which started this whole thought process off.

Has anyone shot with an OMD and an X-pro1?

I love my OMD, dont get me wrong, so much so I have a pair for use with my prime lenses. I have been reading a lot about the fuji recently and just wonder if I am missing something.......

I "think" its just different, offers a different "look", believe it maybe better at high iso than the OMD, has an equally cool retro look at the OMD but its a rangefinder design.

Be really interesting to hear what others have to say on this, i realise this is the OMD thread but I feel its directly related. I might also ask this in the X-pro1 thread also.

I have seen the recent offer on till 31st August for the X-pro1, 35 1.4 and free 18mm f2 which started this whole thought process off.

Have shot with both at the moment quite likening the rangefinder design of the X1-pro,and yes the Fuji is better at high iso than the Olympus.
I think at the end of the day they are both great cameras,if you want an DSLR looking camera the OMD is the winner,but if like me you don't mine the rangefinder look maybe for me the X-pro is the winner.
Plus Panasonic are bringing out the new GX which look very much like the XE-1 so the rangefinder look seem to be with us for a while.

:)

Have shot with both at the moment quite likening the rangefinder design of the X1-pro,and yes the Fuji is better at high iso than the Olympus.
I think at the end of the day they are both great cameras,if you want an DSLR looking camera the OMD is the winner,but if like me you don't mine the rangefinder look maybe for me the X-pro is the winner.
Plus Panasonic are bringing out the new GX which look very much like the XE-1 so the rangefinder look seem to be with us for a while.

:)

Cheers Simon. Yeah I love the rangefinder look. Might have to take a look at one in the flesh and see.

well, just part exed my dslr. mpb are collecting tomorrow. should have an omd in my hands by the weekend! first lenses i think are the 17 1.8 and 12-35.

A couple of questions.
- What is the largest m43 filter size? for my dslr i bought my filters in 77mm and used step up rings so i could use the filters on any of my lenses.
- what cases are recommended?
- what 3rd party batteries are recommended?
- any idiots guides online for the omd?

Great article in Advanced Photographer about the OMD one year on!

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. My images were on the first page of that article, and 3 or my mates from our camera club were also featured! (y)

Last edited:
Fantastic work! I was really impressed with the quality of the images and really enjoyed the interviews. Brilliant work!

Thanks very much :nuts:(y)

Very kind indeed, I was impressed with how the images looked in print also, great advert for the camera indeed.

Bought an OMD yesterday. Being delivered today. Shame to see my d7100 and x100 go, but really looking forward to taking the omd travelling.

EDIT
ITS arrived!

Charging the battery now. Would consider a half day, shame work is so busy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought an OMD yesterday. Being delivered today. Shame to see my d7100 and x100 go, but really looking forward to taking the omd travelling.

EDIT
ITS arrived!

Charging the battery now. Would consider a half day, shame work is so busy...

Great stuff. Look forward to seeing some pictures when the battery is charged (y)

What lenses did you get?

Great stuff. Look forward to seeing some pictures when the battery is charged (y)

What lenses did you get?

It came with the kit lens. 17mm 1.8 and 12-35 hopefully here by the weekend.

Can't wait for 430 so i can get out and play!

It came with the kit lens. 17mm 1.8 and 12-35 hopefully here by the weekend.

Can't wait for 430 so i can get out and play!

Very nice mate! I have the 17mm myself and its almost always attached to the camera.

A friend has the 12-35 and says its very very good.

You should enjoy playing with those a lot (y)

Very nice mate! I have the 17mm myself and its almost always attached to the camera.

A friend has the 12-35 and says its very very good.

You should enjoy playing with those a lot (y)

Ill also be getting a fisheye and a tele at some point. Currently on amazon searching for necessary (or not..) accessories for my new toy.

One thing i do need is a camera bag, my current rucksack is now too big (yay!). Most of the bags i see recommmended are messenger style bags, but i like rucksacks for being out of the way.

Ill also be getting a fisheye and a tele at some point. Currently on amazon searching for necessary (or not..) accessories for my new toy.

One thing i do need is a camera bag, my current rucksack is now too big (yay!). Most of the bags i see recommmended are messenger style bags, but i like rucksacks for being out of the way.

Well I like messenger bags and rucksacks.

I have a Lowepro photo hatchback 22l which is part camera bag part day bag.

Also have a couple of Thinktank messenger type bags of two different sizes both in the retrospective range. 5 and 30.

Well I like messenger bags and rucksacks.

I have a Lowepro photo hatchback 22l which is part camera bag part day bag.

Also have a couple of Thinktank messenger type bags of two different sizes both in the retrospective range. 5 and 30.

Out of the messenger bags, the retrospectives are the ones that caught my eye. How much room is there in the 5?

The other option is to but a camera bag insert and re-purpose a normal rucksack. But that may be a pain in actual use (but it will be comfortable...)

Out of the messenger bags, the retrospectives are the ones that caught my eye. How much room is there in the 5?

The other option is to but a camera bag insert and re-purpose a normal rucksack. But that may be a pain in actual use (but it will be comfortable...)

There is a fair bit in the retro 5. I can get a lens down either side and a small lens, say 17mm, mounted to body in middle pocket.

If wanting to take more its a case of wrapping lenses up in lens cloth and you maybe able to get two down either side depending on how big they are of course. I have had 5 lens and 1 body in that bag just about. Then there is a decent size front pocket where the rain cover is stored can usually get battery and mem card wallets in there plus other little bits. Really nice, well made bags that will probably last forever and very comfortable.

There is a fair bit in the retro 5. I can get a lens down either side and a small lens, say 17mm, mounted to body in middle pocket.

If wanting to take more its a case of wrapping lenses up in lens cloth and you maybe able to get two down either side depending on how big they are of course. I have had 5 lens and 1 body in that bag just about. Then there is a decent size front pocket where the rain cover is stored can usually get battery and mem card wallets in there plus other little bits. Really nice, well made bags that will probably last forever and very comfortable.

Hi Anthony - does the bag have removable inserts? Thinking of buying one and using an insert in my rucksack if needed.

Cheers Anthony, bag ordered!

Have also ordered a "Peak Design Capture Camera Clip" and a "Peak Design Cuff Camera Strap"

can't wait for the weekend to get out and play. will hopefully alos have the 12-35 and 17mm by then.

Hi where did you order the bag from amd how much are they as really like the look of that?

Thanks.......but ouch that's a tad out of my price range but like it a lot tho :(
Is their a cheaper alternative around dose anyone know?

Thanks.......but ouch that's a tad out of my price range but like it a lot tho :(

Just received the bag. Very nicely put together though a little smaller than I was expecting. But having picked up my lenses this afternoon (12-35, 17mm and 45mm) I am surprised how small (actually make that tiny!) the lenses are. Even the 12 35 2.8 isn't that much bigger than the 35mm Nikon prime I had.

I have the Retrospective 20 which is a good size. Held quite a bit of DSLR stuff but will be ideal for my EM5, 12-35, 35-100 (and 75-300 when I can afford it). It was expensive compared to others but is really well made and looks great - that may not be important to everyone of course.

Have a look at their Mirrorless Mover range - prices seem very reasonable if similar quality to Retrospective range. Morris Photo, as per Rapscalllion’s link, have them.

Just received the bag. Very nicely put together though a little smaller than I was expecting. But having picked up my lenses this afternoon (12-35, 17mm and 45mm) I am surprised how small (actually make that tiny!) the lenses are. Even the 12 35 2.8 isn't that much bigger than the 35mm Nikon prime I had.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Great quality bag that will take a surprising amount of m4/3 kit. Like you have now found the lenses are somewhat small. I went to a gig last night, in my retro 5 was my omd, 25mm, 45mm, 17mm and 60mm. 2 lenses down either side and body in the middle. I think I could have squeezed another lens in just about. Thats one of the fantastic things about the m4/3 system. Enjoy my friend! (y)

I have the Retrospective 20 which is a good size. Held quite a bit of DSLR stuff but will be ideal for my EM5, 12-35, 35-100 (and 75-300 when I can afford it). It was expensive compared to others but is really well made and looks great - that may not be important to everyone of course.

Have a look at their Mirrorless Mover range - prices seem very reasonable if similar quality to Retrospective range. Morris Photo, as per Rapscalllion’s link, have them.

Mirrorless movers are definitely a good option to look at. The Retrospective range is so well made, yes its expensive for sure, no denying that, but in my opinion it will last a very very long time.

Rapscallion, I bet you're enjoying the 12 to 35. Pricewise it is an indulgence, but well worth it in my opinion. I was out with mine again today (in pouring rain) and optically it really is excellent: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/panasonic-12-35-f2-8/

Lovely set there...There is something about the 12-35 and dare I say also the 35-100 that I really like. Although I use an PEN E-P5 and not an OMD, I find them so comfortable, so assured in their operation...Really reminds me of the my Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 pair...Yes they are not cheap but well worth it imo...

Back