Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Lovely set there...There is something about the 12-35 and dare I say also the 35-100 that I really like. Although I use an PEN E-P5 and not an OMD, I find them so comfortable, so assured in their operation...Really reminds me of the my Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 pair...Yes they are not cheap but well worth it imo...

Yes, the 24-70 and 70-200 (especially that one) have always been my most used lenses on my Canon DSLRs (with the more recent exception of the 70-300L which is a cracker) so it's great to have the same level of quality on my OMD, but without the crippling back and arm strain! I agree they are well worth the pricetag.

Slightly off topic I guess but I'm liking the look of the new EM1 - the larger hand grip looks like it would address my only real gripe of the EM5 (the need to use the battery grip for it to me comfortable), I'm enjoying using my D600 but there are times when even the relatively small kit I have (D600, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm) is a pain especially on holiday.

Will be keeping an eye on M4/3 developments as I was always impressed with my EM5 just the size of the grip put me off, could easily sell off my Nikon kit and pickup either of the compact systems, which might be where I head!

Slightly off topic I guess but I'm liking the look of the new EM1 - the larger hand grip looks like it would address my only real gripe of the EM5 (the need to use the battery grip for it to me comfortable), I'm enjoying using my D600 but there are times when even the relatively small kit I have (D600, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm) is a pain especially on holiday.

Will be keeping an eye on M4/3 developments as I was always impressed with my EM5 just the size of the grip put me off, could easily sell off my Nikon kit and pickup either of the compact systems, which might be where I head!

The new Olympus lens 12-45 f2.8 is looking better :love: and rumored to be €681 so pretty good price.

I'm thinking of adding the Panasonic 14-42 PZ lens to my kit for use with the OM-D. Removing the grip, I think it could be a potentially compact outfit for those days where you need absolute minimum kit.

Lindsay, saw your london shots with this combo and the results look very good, you still use this lens?

Hi Julian, Yes I will certainly be keeping the little PZ zoom, I'm really quite impressed with it. As you say it cannot be beaten for sheer compactness and I also find it's nice and sharp with very good colour and contrast. It's great for the days when I want to hit the streets but don't want to carry a camera bag, as I can put it into a padded make-up bag which then sits in my normal handbag. Obviously it is not going to be optically as good as something like the 12-35, but I find it much better than the kit lens which came with my camera (12-50 I think that was).

Hi Julian, Yes I will certainly be keeping the little PZ zoom, I'm really quite impressed with it. As you say it cannot be beaten for sheer compactness and I also find it's nice and sharp with very good colour and contrast. It's great for the days when I want to hit the streets but don't want to carry a camera bag, as I can put it into a padded make-up bag which then sits in my normal handbag. Obviously it is not going to be optically as good as something like the 12-35, but I find it much better than the kit lens which came with my camera (12-50 I think that was).

Thanks Lindsay, seems like a good compromise, obviously minus the make-up bag for me ;)

Thanks Lindsay, seems like a good compromise, obviously minus the make-up bag for me ;)

Lol, consider it though, you always want look your best when out in public :)

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 40-150 R and the non R model? I have seen a couple of used non R models for sale.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 40-150 R and the non R model? I have seen a couple of used non R models for sale.

Not a lot as far as I know, mainly aesthetics from what I have read on the net. Perhaps someone who has them will be able to confirm.

I have used the R version and found it to be very good.

Ive had the 14-140r and its a very good lens it feels flimsy but its really light. Reading on the net images are there same and the r version is a ring mount for a hood.

Andy

Nice set. I really like the one of the outside of the Millenium Centre, and I like the atmospheric shot of the sea too, but can't place where that was taken!
Hope you're enjoying the OMD!

Nice set. I really like the one of the outside of the Millenium Centre, and I like the atmospheric shot of the sea too, but can't place where that was taken!
Hope you're enjoying the OMD!

Hi Marcia,

1 is in Dunraven Bay
2 + 4 are millenium centre
3 is somewhere in cardiff..?

I really should stat tagging my photos!

Loving the OMD. Lovely little camera with some great lenses available.

Also re processed the Dunraen bay shot. I have removed the vignette i added in the first shot, and processed through silver efex this time with the aim of a bit more contrast.

20130907-E-M5-_9071018-Edit.jpg by /Cud, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

The "R" model is an improved version of the initial 40-150mm which has been specifically improved regarding AF operations using the new MSC (Movie-Still-compatible) AF drive.

I find the m40-150mm R very sharp and punches above its price.:)

Red Admiral by The Craftysnapper, on Flickr

Its up for pre-order now including the new 12-40 f/2.8 according to olympus's website there is a loyalty offer as well if you have an E series body already

Hi All!

B&H showing an American price of $1400. Does anyone know how much sales tax would be paid on top of that?

Think the EM1 is a very interesting development (I am a DSLR user who would like a switch for travel photography) but needs excellent reviews at that price point I think.

Hi All!

B&H showing an American price of $1400. Does anyone know how much sales tax would be paid on top of that?

Think the EM1 is a very interesting development (I am a DSLR user who would like a switch for travel photography) but needs excellent reviews at that price point I think.

If you're in the UK then you will be charged VAT at 20% as well as import duty on top, and likely an administration fee by your carrier.

If you're in the UK then you will be charged VAT at 20% as well as import duty on top, and likely an administration fee by your carrier.

Sure, but travelling to New York after Xmas so may treat myself. Don't always find the potential hassle is worthwhile but there's a fair difference in price here potentially.

Also, don't forget the warranty differences. You'll have to check, but currently Oly offers a 1yr worldwide warranty, but buying the UK you'll get 2 years, plus there's the additional 6 months with the new pro service plan for the EM1 (but it's unclear, although unlikely, that this would apply to a US import).

You need to add roughly 9% on to the standard price if buying it physically in NYC...then you should declare it on the way back through customs in the UK and pay a load more on top. You then lose out on the free grip (I think), which if you just bought from a UK supplier you could sell to make a bit of money back.

In my experience there are very very few items that are worth importing in person, the exchange rate just doesn't justify it anymore, that's assuming they have one in stock somewhere so early on, which is unlikely.

Last edited:
Thanks all, food for thought indeed. Grip and warranty are excellent points. Having done some superficial research on the latter that situation isn't clearcut so I need to be careful.

When I've looked at other equipment I agree it doesn't seem worth the hassle. With this it could mean a £500 saving on body alone, let alone the more expensive kit. Maybe worth it even if I declare it.

Anyway I've sidelined a conversation about an interesting new piece of kit. Main advantages seem to be improved AF and more switch/button combos that can be customised. Looking forward to full reviews.

The early reviews are very positive, even to the point where is might be worth the horrendous incremental upgrade cost from my EM5! But naturally I will wait for more detail reviews on RAW and AF performance before making a call.

Interestingly though the devil seems to be in the details with this one. For example, I just read that there are no cross-type PDAF sensors, as the tech wasn't ready yet, so they are all vertical. But it appears you can fine tune each individual PDAF point (all 37 of them) on a per lens basis to further improve AF!

Sure, but travelling to New York after Xmas so may treat myself. Don't always find the potential hassle is worthwhile but there's a fair difference in price here potentially.

Customs often ask to see receipts for equipment such as cameras - so you can prove you haven't purchased it whilst on vacation, to avoid paying VAT. So it could add up to a load of hassle.

When I've looked at other equipment I agree it doesn't seem worth the hassle. With this it could mean a £500 saving on body alone, let alone the more expensive kit. Maybe worth it even if I declare it.

My experience since moving from Canon is that Oly seem better a reflecting the price/tax/exchange rate differences across countries. They usually do it by bundling a grip or lens or rebate or something, rather than having a lower price, but whenever I've done the maths it's never seemed quite worth buying the US when you factor in the hassle and risk involved.

My experience since moving from Canon is that Oly seem better a reflecting the price/tax/exchange rate differences across countries. They usually do it by bundling a grip or lens or rebate or something, rather than having a lower price, but whenever I've done the maths it's never seemed quite worth buying the US when you factor in the hassle and risk involved.

You made the DSLR-to-OMD move? Would be interested to hear how you found that...

You made the DSLR-to-OMD move? Would be interested to hear how you found that...

Hi Pau l - i moved from a d7100 / x100 combo. Have to say im not missing them at all! Great to have a system that i can fit in a bag, and with a prime it can also replace my x100.

I went 5DII + L glass to EM5 plus selection of primes (this is where the system shines) and zooms. Excellent move, mostly. The main reason is I simply take my camera with me more often. Eg, with my 3 year old daughter, plus buggy and bags etc there just wasn't room for a bulky rucksack as well on a day trip, but not so with the m4/3 gear, and I even carry a wider selection of lenses in a smaller lighter bag!

Big downside for me is C-AF focus tracking. My daughter never sits still. Indoors she moves a lot, outdoors she moves fast a lot. With my 5DII it was easy-peezy lazy photographer time - I just placed my centre focus point on her and held the back button AF down. Whenever she moved (even by small amounts) she'd almost always be in focus. All I had to do was worry about composing and timing my shots. Not so with the EM5. When she's moving fairly slowly its fine as single shot AF is just so quick, but anything else and the keeper rate dive bombs. I've tried different techniques and tried to re-train myself as a photographer, and that's improved things a bit. But it remains the biggest compromise in the system move, which is why I'm looking at the EM1 so closely. They're the only type of photos I feel I miss compared to my Canon kit, where as the fact I have my camera with me much more (plus the amazing IBIS) means I now get many more shots I wasn't getting before. I'm sure if I really really trained myself I could get good results (like they did in the old days before AF!), but I'm not there yet.

I could waffle much longer, but I won't. Hope that helps.

I went 5DII + L glass to EM5 plus selection of primes (this is where the system shines) and zooms. Excellent move, mostly. The main reason is I simply take my camera with me more often. Eg, with my 3 year old daughter, plus buggy and bags etc there just wasn't room for a bulky rucksack as well on a day trip, but not so with the m4/3 gear, and I even carry a wider selection of lenses in a smaller lighter bag!

Big downside for me is C-AF focus tracking. My daughter never sits still. Indoors she moves a lot, outdoors she moves fast a lot. With my 5DII it was easy-peezy lazy photographer time - I just placed my centre focus point on her and held the back button AF down. Whenever she moved (even by small amounts) she'd almost always be in focus. All I had to do was worry about composing and timing my shots. Not so with the EM5. When she's moving fairly slowly its fine as single shot AF is just so quick, but anything else and the keeper rate dive bombs. I've tried different techniques and tried to re-train myself as a photographer, and that's improved things a bit. But it remains the biggest compromise in the system move, which is why I'm looking at the EM1 so closely. They're the only type of photos I feel I miss compared to my Canon kit, where as the fact I have my camera with me much more (plus the amazing IBIS) means I now get many more shots I wasn't getting before. I'm sure if I really really trained myself I could get good results (like they did in the old days before AF!), but I'm not there yet.

I could waffle much longer, but I won't. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, not waffle at all :)

My biggest fear about smaller cameras is the lag, not getting that DSLR feeling of instant capture, but I understand there is none of that with the OMD.

What held me back from getting one was the issue of focusing in low light and with moving objects. Even though I'll keep my DSLR for sports, airshows and portraits it still put me off a bit - after all they're expensive mistakes to make.

if the reviews are right this might become my travel camera...

Back