Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I did consider that, though I'd really need to attempt to sell my EM5 first in order to make the switch, so never bothered :)

Not sure if anyone else would find this useful - I pulled together a number of specs into a table that highlights the main differences between the four OM-D bodies - EM1, 10, 5 and 5M2.

It's a PDF shared from my dropbox so safe to click the link... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15682492/OMD Camera Comparison.pdf

For me the 1/8000 shutter is pretty high up on the list of wants/needs which limits the choices to an EM1 (which I've already owned) and the EM5M2.

Oh, and SRS are doing £100 off the EM5M2s again at the moment - body only £799, 12-40 kit is £1399

EDIT - just ordered the E-M52 Silver 12-40 kit (y)
Here we go again....

Last edited:
There'll be a bargain in the classifieds in 10 days time then :D

Oh, and SRS are doing £100 off the EM5M2s again at the moment - body only £799
I'd prefer to buy it from Panamoz where it's only £860.

I think the normal euro price equates to £799 in the retail shops and Amazon. More Olympus price fixing (between retail and online) I presume. But pay any more and you are being ripped.

Last edited:
The faster shutter speed is useful (particularly if shooting a fast lens wide open on in sunny conditions)...for me though, the lower speed (1/4000) on the E-M10 is mitigated by using an ND filter when required.

The faster shutter speed is useful (particularly if shooting a fast lens wide open on in sunny conditions)...for me though, the lower speed (1/4000) on the E-M10 is mitigated by using an ND filter when required.

Clearly everyones different but I can't stand swapping an ND on and off - I love to use fast primes so hit 1/4000 regularly and easily.

I'd prefer to buy it from Panamoz where it's only £860.

I think the normal euro price equates to £799 in the retail shops and Amazon. More Olympus price fixing (between retail and online) I presume. But pay any more and you are being ripped.

?? Extra £61 to buy grey, really? :rolleyes:

The original version of the post included a sarcastic (not) in it. I think the meaning has been lost in the edit...

I was just making fun of the quotes about buying cheaper from Panamoz. But seriously £799 is the street price when buying in Euros. It's not cheap.

Lovely shot Damian, the rape seed has really started to show over the last few days.

Clearly everyones different but I can't stand swapping an ND on and off - I love to use fast primes so hit 1/4000 regularly and easily.
I have to agree id far prefer a decent shutter speed rather than swapping ND's...
Yet saying that i've just got myself a very good priced E-M5 MkI id preferred a MkII if only i had £675 spare for one though :) (using Olympus friends family discount in case wondered on price )

I have to agree id far prefer a decent shutter speed rather than swapping ND's...
Yet saying that i've just got myself a very good priced E-M5 MkI id preferred a MkII if only i had £675 spare for one though :) (using Olympus friends family discount in case wondered on price )

I didn't even know there was such a discount scheme - sounds like you can save a few quid (y)

In reality, with British weather as it is, an overcast day with the P20/f1.7 or the P25/1.4 (or even better f0.95 :) ) it is unlikely you'll need faster than 1/4000 - but as soon as the sun makes an appearance or you're on holiday somewhere with a bright blue sky - overexposed.

I love bokeh ! :woot: :woot: :woot:

Ok, so as some of you know, this is not the first time I'm in this thread having bought an Olympus M43 body.

The difference this time (well mostly) is that up until last week the only camera equipment I owned was a Sony RX100M3. Then I bought the awesome Samyamg 7.5 Fish Eye (had two of these before), and today should be taking delivery of the body and O12-40 lens (only the second one of these!).

So my lens collection so far is:

1. O12-40 f2.8
2. S7.5 Fish Eye

I don't want to just go blindly and buy all the same lenses again - although I seem to have started that already!

What is your most used/most favourite lens?

Last edited:
Favourite - 25 and 45
Most used - probably 14-150 but the 12-40 is catching up!

I guess lenses depend on what you'll be shooting, Alan, and if you'll need or want something longer than 40mm ?

For me, I love the p20 f1.7 - awesomely sharp and renders beautifully. Then I have the O45 1.8 which is also amazing ( especially considering they're c£130 used ). But it leaves me with a hole between the 2 which I might fill with a 25mm of some sort.

Of course, logic would tell me to dump the 20 and the 45 and get the 12-40 2.8 but that's just too easy isn't it :D

I didn't even know there was such a discount scheme - sounds like you can save a few quid (y)

In reality, with British weather as it is, an overcast day with the P20/f1.7 or the P25/1.4 (or even better f0.95 :) ) it is unlikely you'll need faster than 1/4000 - but as soon as the sun makes an appearance or you're on holiday somewhere with a bright blue sky - overexposed.

I love bokeh ! :woot: :woot: :woot:
I'm same like bokeh shooting wide open on portraits a few times so used find 4000 limiting sometimes, discount is friends and family on Olympus store 25%.

It's from a friend from school who is one of the official Olympus photographers :)

View attachment 35305

I guess lenses depend on what you'll be shooting, Alan, and if you'll need or want something longer than 40mm ?

For me, I love the p20 f1.7 - awesomely sharp and renders beautifully. Then I have the O45 1.8 which is also amazing ( especially considering they're c£130 used ). But it leaves me with a hole between the 2 which I might fill with a 25mm of some sort.

Of course, logic would tell me to dump the 20 and the 45 and get the 12-40 2.8 but that's just too easy isn't it :D

My most used lenses are the Oly 12/2 and Panasonic 25/1.4 and 45 macro, so the 12-40/2.8 has been on my radar too. I've not seen one in the flesh though - how does it compare in size and weight?

I'd love to know how the Oly 12-40/2.8 compares to the Panny 12-35/2.8 of those who have owned/tried both. I have the latter, but have heard good things about the Oly 12-40.

By MFT standards it's a bit of a beast - no longer than the 14-150 (or even the bizarrely long 12-50), but much bigger in girth and weighing substantially more. I wouldn't want to use it on one of the tiny bodies, but it balances OK on my EM5, especially with the grip added. It feels superbly made, though.

I love my 12-40 2.8 its on 1 of my em5 bodies all of the time, my elite has either the 12mm or 45mm fitted just trying to figure out if i need a 25mm either pany or oly decisions decisions:olympus:

or the 75mm 1.8:confused:

Last edited:
Ok, so as some of you know, this is not the first time I'm in this thread having bought an Olympus M43 body.

The difference this time (well mostly) is that up until last week the only camera equipment I owned was a Sony RX100M3. Then I bought the awesome Samyamg 7.5 Fish Eye (had two of these before), and today should be taking delivery of the body and O12-40 lens (only the second one of these!).

So my lens collection so far is:

1. O12-40 f2.8
2. S7.5 Fish Eye

I don't want to just go blindly and buy all the same lenses again - although I seem to have started that already!

What is your most used/most favourite lens?

I think my ideal three lens set-up would be 12-40 f/2.8, PL25mm f/1.4 (low-light, isolation shots) and the 75mm f/1.8. All depends on your requirements/style of shooting though.

FWIW I have the PL15, PL25, Oly45, Oly75 and Panasonic 100-300. Most used are the PL25 and Oly75.

My most used set up is the 7-14 / 12-35 / PL 25. I generally shoot landscape type, and just recently sold off my 45 / 75. I think my most used of the 3 is the PL25.

Have you used or compared the panny 7-14 with the Olympic 9-18? I'd quite like the panny but price and not being able to use normal screw on filters is a bit of a put off. I wouldn't really want to invest on a complete filter system as I only use nd's and polariser occasionally, never use grads.

My most used set up is the 7-14 / 12-35 / PL 25. I generally shoot landscape type, and just recently sold off my 45 / 75. I think my most used of the 3 is the PL25.

Yes, the PL25/1.4 is the lens I leave on my EM5 most of the time - there's something very nice about that combination. When I shot 35mm film, a 50mm lens was my most used lens and that focal length still just seems "right" to me :)

Have you used or compared the panny 7-14 with the Olympic 9-18? I'd quite like the panny but price and not being able to use normal screw on filters is a bit of a put off. I wouldn't really want to invest on a complete filter system as I only use nd's and polariser occasionally, never use grads.
I own the 9-18mm and recently tried the P7-14mm. I liked the crazy wide of the 7mm. And was surprised that it wasn't too big. As I'd feared. I also liked that you didn't have to unlock it like the 9-18mm.
However I'd still go for the 9-18mm because:
  • 9mm is still mad wide.
  • 18mm is a great walkabout focal length. Street, night etc.
  • It's so small that, when mounted as your only lens, is unobtrusive to carry around.
  • Cheaper.
9mm

Dachau KZ
by ianp5a, on Flickr

Last edited:

I haven't used the 9-18 personally, my friend had one. Haven't got proper comparisons of the same shot etc, though from what I remember discussing with him, is that the 7-14 produced sharper pictures throughout the whole frame compared to the 9-18. Though, the 9-18 handles lens flare a lot better than the 7-14, if I shoot anywhere near the sun, it'll catch it, a little patience and PP in Lightroom/PS can cure it, but it's not desirable.

I personally don't regret buying the 7-14 over the 9-18, it was my 2nd m43 lens. I appreciate the 7mm length as compared to 9mm, makes a huge difference at the wide end. The constant f4 is handy at times. It's well built, compared to the 9-18, which I think, feels like a toy. Sharp images, especially at around f5.6-8

I'd love to know how the Oly 12-40/2.8 compares to the Panny 12-35/2.8 of those who have owned/tried both. I have the latter, but have heard good things about the Oly 12-40.

I sold my 12-35 f/2.8 and bought a 12-40. In general the image quality is similar but to my eye the 12-40 edges it with a step up in edge / corner sharpness from wide open. There is also the extra 5 mm of FL ;)

Last edited:
I sold my 12-35 f/2.8 and bought a 12-40. In general the image quality is similar but to my eye the 12-40 edges it with a step up in edge / corner sharpness from wide open. There is also the extra 5 mm of FI ;)
How much did you sell your 12-35 for, and how much was the price difference to get the 12-40? Interested in switching over, though don't really have the funds to do it if the difference is too big!

Back