Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

@damianmkv @akr @snerkler Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered a gorillapod. The 60mm macro is quite high up my want list but unlikely to happen before I go. I had thought about getting some cheap extension tubes but I not sure of the quality of these, any ideas?

What lenses do you have the Zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6 R with tubes with out the Raynox is quite good if you can get the hang of it some practice is advisable as is back button focus

Zuiko-40-150-tubes-and-raynox by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a holiday shot with the E-M1 with the 40-150 and tubes probably the kit flash not the one shown and a simple diffuser

Canadian dragon 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
@alfbranch I'll be using the kit Zuiko 14-150 f4-5.6. but I think that's about the same physical size as the 40-150.

With the 14-42 Oly EZ lens do i need slim filters, looking at ND and polarising

Thanks

With the 14-42 Oly EZ lens do i need slim filters, looking at ND and polarising

Thanks
I never used slim filters and didn't notice any vignetting tbh, obviously YMMV. The lens element is quite a way from the edge of the lens barrel so not sure if this will make a difference?

10BA961F-7C87-4FCC-9A96-4A65EFF1DB13.jpeg 406C67DE-2C25-4995-93C8-3FCEA76B8394.jpeg 9EBF2C87-927D-4FDC-AFAF-A9A7DB7DB566.jpeg EA2AE0AD-CF2C-461F-B90D-CB401FCBA779.jpeg E1120076-9350-4FE4-9689-CF4FB825F19F.jpeg Well I still haven’t had the time to learn the camera better as yet so have been taking most pics just in auto mode but here’s a sample of what I’m getting with the Olympus em10 mk2:

I think it was more interested in the seed than me lol.

I have feeders up for the birds here too, I also have a 40-150mm [the cheap one] but find it too short. When I try to get close they scarper so mostly I'm trying to shoot them through the kitchen window. We don't get squirrels, I do find the odd dead mouse though as we have 2 feisty cats [the other reason the birds scatter fast]

I have feeders up for the birds here too, I also have a 40-150mm [the cheap one] but find it too short. When I try to get close they scarper so mostly I'm trying to shoot them through the kitchen window. We don't get squirrels, I do find the odd dead mouse though as we have 2 feisty cats [the other reason the birds scatter fast]
I shoot through the double glazing too lol.

I've used the WiFi function of my GX8 connected to my iPad via the Lumix app to shoot garden birds. I set the camera up in the garden with something draped over it to break up its shape a bit, and then sat at my kitchen table with a coffee using the app to photograph the birds as they visited the perch on route to the feeder. Worked very well indeed :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I've used the WiFi function of my GX8 connected to my iPad via the Lumix app to shoot garden birds. I set the camera up in the garden with something draped over it to break up its shape a bit, and then sat at my kitchen table with a coffee using the app to photograph the birds as they visited the perch on route to the feeder. Worked very well indeed :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I have been thinking on something like this, I have done it in the past with my X-T1 and 55-200, the Fuji app is very solid. I need to test the Pany wi-fi app more, I found it a bit fiddly last time I checked, it was dropping connection a lot and very laggy, but could well just be my phone.

Cheers,

Simon.
What was the reason for trying to break up it's shape by draping?

Just had an email from Olympus about a new offer bundle with the EM1-II. If bought before 15th Jan you get a free Olympus Day experience, £200 cash back, free 3 year extended warranty and free battery grip worth £279.99.

Aren't the EM1-II's selling very well?

Just had an email from Olympus about a new offer bundle with the EM1-II. If bought before 15th Jan you get a free Olympus Day experience, £200 cash back, free 3 year extended warranty and free battery grip worth £279.99.

Aren't the EM1-II's selling very well?

Countering Panasonic's 2 new models maybe?

Just been delivered Olympus M.75mm f1.8
Here's my first frame taken on my EM5 mkII
Dabley by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Lovely doggy :) I really want that lens too!

Countering Panasonic's 2 new models maybe?

Lovely doggy :) I really want that lens too!

Thank you:) he is now 13years old Ive had him since he was 6weeks old
My M.75mm is less than a week old and your gonna love it when it eventually finds its way into your kit.
I now have 5 oly primes and just 2 Panny zooms\I find I'm still hankering after something really wide but I have some Nikon coolpix lens adapters i just might try first :)
Im loving my 4/3 experience atm :olympus:

Morning all.
Can someone help me with a numpty question? I have just bought an E-M1 Mark II to use as an 'always with me' camera. It's nice to have an Olympus again as I started my photographic journey with an OM-10 and then an OM-2n (which I still have....).
Anyway - my question concerns set up menus. I wish to assign custom set ups to C1, C2 and C3. C1 will be my general 'walk around' settings, C2 for action, and C3 likely for tripod work. I understand how to assign the preferences.
My confusion is how you associate a custom menu with an exposure mode? With my Nikon gear the two are separate - you set up custom preferences and these outside of any exposure mode selection.
But with the E-M1 C1/C2/C3 are selected using the exposure mode dial. Ideally I want my general C1 to be based around aperture priority, C2 shutter priority and C3 likely aperture priority.
I feel I have probably missed something startlingly obvious but......
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks!

Morning all.
Can someone help me with a numpty question? I have just bought an E-M1 Mark II to use as an 'always with me' camera. It's nice to have an Olympus again as I started my photographic journey with an OM-10 and then an OM-2n (which I still have....).
Anyway - my question concerns set up menus. I wish to assign custom set ups to C1, C2 and C3. C1 will be my general 'walk around' settings, C2 for action, and C3 likely for tripod work. I understand how to assign the preferences.
My confusion is how you associate a custom menu with an exposure mode? With my Nikon gear the two are separate - you set up custom preferences and these outside of any exposure mode selection.
But with the E-M1 C1/C2/C3 are selected using the exposure mode dial. Ideally I want my general C1 to be based around aperture priority, C2 shutter priority and C3 likely aperture priority.
I feel I have probably missed something startlingly obvious but......
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks!
I'm a bit of a numpty but I'll tell you what I do, that's if I've understood your question properly.
My C1 C2 and C3 settings are in manual, there is no priority. I've set the AEL/AFL switch in such a way that when it is in the down position my original settings are maintained, i.e.C1 is set for still perching birds at 1000th wide open, C2 is set for BIF 2000th wide open and C3 is set for walkabout 125th 5.6. If I flick the switch to the up position I can change any of these parameters using the front or rear dials to suit changing conditions. The switch down position I use for changing exposure compensation. I use Auto ISO.
I hope that's what you want to know, as I said I'm a bit of a numpty, someone far more clued up will probably help you more.

My latest purchase arrived today Olympus 9mm f8 fisheye body cap.
it been a busy couple of weeks added OMD EM1 chrome body and battery grip followed by 30mm and 60mm macro lenses.
Add a 75mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8 and my kit bag is now complete.
Can't wait for warmer weather to get out shooting.

I have an EM10 mkII and want to try my hand at a few macro shots using the 14-150 kit lens with extension tubes. Can anyone tell be what size the Focus Bracketing Steps are please? And is it dependant on the lens you are using. The manual is as good as useless, just stating that the smaller the number the smaller the step, and the bigger the number the bigger the step.

My latest purchase arrived today Olympus 9mm f8 fisheye body cap.
it been a busy couple of weeks added OMD EM1 chrome body and battery grip followed by 30mm and 60mm macro lenses.
Add a 75mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8 and my kit bag is now complete.
Can't wait for warmer weather to get out shooting.

Very nice package, I really like the idea of the 60mm macro, that and a tele lens [have the 40-150 variable, just a tad too short for what I need] would see me satisfied along with the 25 1.7 I reckon.

My m43 journey is over :( All gear is now sold but I’ll continue to watch with interest

Back