Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Anyone tried astrophotography with m4/3, what are the results like? I’m off to Cape Verde soon and just found out it’s a great place for “star gazing” so thought I might have a go at astro. I’d be using the 12-40mm f2.8.

Anyone tried astrophotography with m4/3, what are the results like? I’m off to Cape Verde soon and just found out it’s a great place for “star gazing” so thought I might have a go at astro. I’d be using the 12-40mm f2.8.

I didn't shoot anything worth saving let alone sharing but I did dabble a little using that lens. The MF clutch is really nice for this purpose. I remember I could get away with 20 seconds or so at 12mm 2.8 before any trails would begin. Typically you will be shooting at ISO 800-3200. There's tonnes of calculators online, and of course if you want star trails you can go long as you desire though stacking would be best. I never really tried that, I prefer static star shots.

I didn't shoot anything worth saving let alone sharing but I did dabble a little using that lens. The MF clutch is really nice for this purpose. I remember I could get away with 20 seconds or so at 12mm 2.8 before any trails would begin. Typically you will be shooting at ISO 800-3200. There's tonnes of calculators online, and of course if you want star trails you can go long as you desire though stacking would be best. I never really tried that, I prefer static star shots.
Yeah I"m not interested in trails, it's more the stars and Milky Way. It was more a noise/IQ quality that I was querying. I know that Olly has quite a good NR system where it takes a second blank shot and then 'masks' the noise, but I'm wondering if it would think stars are noise :LOL:

Yeah I"m not interested in trails, it's more the stars and Milky Way. It was more a noise/IQ quality that I was querying. I know that Olly has quite a good NR system where it takes a second blank shot and then 'masks' the noise, but I'm wondering if it would think stars are noise :LOL:

Not the best but was taken in Tintagel last year.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27WNubq]Milky Way over Tintagel by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

It's good under moonlight too.

Moonlit Tower De Fished by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Are these shots stacked or can you get away with such SS with the wider lens?

On noise @snerkler you'll know, stars will be much brighter than any grain produced
Yeah it was tongue in cheek ;)

@GreenNinja67 - Terry, I know you aren't shooting on a M1X but I notice it has a couple of features which could greatly interest you based on a couple of your images recently posted.

One feature is the Keystone Compensation which can alter the perspective leanings of subjects like buildings and can be done live with a slider < I haven't tried it yet.

The other feature is Fisheye Compensation which is probably less useful and depends on your image of course.

Please note that I am good at persuading other people to spend their money! :ROFLMAO:

@GreenNinja67 - Terry, I know you aren't shooting on a M1X but I notice it has a couple of features which could greatly interest you based on a couple of your images recently posted.

One feature is the Keystone Compensation which can alter the perspective leanings of subjects like buildings and can be done live with a slider < I haven't tried it yet.

The other feature is Fisheye Compensation which is probably less useful and depends on your image of course.

Please note that I am good at persuading other people to spend their money! :ROFLMAO:
Don't all OMD Ollies have those features? I know most (if not all) have keystone correction, not sure about fisheye.

I am watching your posts with interest Robin. I have a Nikon D500 along with the Sigma 150-600mm sport and 500mm f/4 sport with 1.4x and 2x converters and I have to say I haven't used them much at all the last 9 months as the weight is beginning to get me down a bit. I rather like the look of the E-1MX and 300mm combo (with 1.4x) so I look forward to your upcoming exploits and some sample wildlife pics ;)

.... Hi Mike!
There is absolutely no doubt about the image quality of D-SLR and full-frame sensors (I shoot Canon and don't know the Nikon D500 sensor size) but yesterday I was able to comfortably walk a round trip of just under 5 miles carrying my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 PRO on my Peak Design strap + Acratech A-S clamp across my chest and my ED 40-150mm + 1.4x in my Lowepro Lens Exchange 200AW bag (a perfect fit) across the other side of my chest [ X style ]. So in D-SLR equivalent I had lens power of 80-300mm / 112-420mm zoom and 600mm / 840mm prime and all completely weatherproof and it got fully tested on a moderately windy beach in the rain while photographing surfers.

This is the first image I have shot in decent light and who is saying that m4/3 can't offer smooth bokeh!? < It's up to the photographer to choose their shooting position if circumstances allow. I'm told my images look better on Flickr, so click to view :

&quot;HEY DUDE! NICE CAMERA!&quot; by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers Robin.

I can "de-fish" in Lightroom as the lens profile is available however sometimes if you straighten the buildings other parts get warped as in the case of the hotel shot.

I tried de fishing it but the Milky Way went awry.

After seeing a mate's Sony A72 yesterday during a coffee I'm now lusting after one of them.

Bugger.

Don't all OMD Ollies have those features? I know most (if not all) have keystone correction, not sure about fisheye.

.... I have never shot on any Olympus before and so I don't know. :canon: > > > :olympus:

And that's a corking image to show what M43 can do.

.... I'm assuming you are referring to my image of the goat, Terry [Robin said modestly].

@Mike.P - It has only been cropped a small amount off the top and left hand side for the sake of composition. It was shot on the ED 300mm PRO + 1.4x and so 840mm equivalent. Auto ISO 2000 with noise reduced background only. If I was in any doubt about m4/3 before, I am not in any doubt now - It's going to allow and enable me to further develop my potential. I love my Canons but the M1X is the way forward for me.

Last edited:
.... Hi Mike!
There is absolutely no doubt about the image quality of D-SLR and full-frame sensors (I shoot Canon and don't know the Nikon D500 sensor size) but yesterday I was able to comfortably walk a round trip of just under 5 miles carrying my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 PRO on my Peak Design + Acratech A-S clamp across my chest and my ED 40-150mm + 1.4x in my Lowepro Lens Exchange 200AW bag (a perfect fit) across the other side of my chest [ X style ]. So in D-SLR equivalent I had lens power of 80-300mm / 112-420mm zoom and 600mm / 840mm prime and all completely weatherproof and it got fully tested on a moderately windy beach in the rain while photographing surfers.

This is the first image I have shot in decent light and who is saying that m4/3 can't offer smooth bokeh!? < It's up to the photographer to choose their shooting position if circumstances allow. I'm told my images look better on Flickr, so click to view :

"HEY DUDE! NICE CAMERA!" by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Great shot, great subject. Goats are awesome animals.

glad your coming to your own conclusions robin . I think this whole thread speaks for itself . let the doubters and mockers do what they want . but we have the proof in our hands

glad your coming to your own conclusions robin . I think this whole thread speaks for itself . let the doubters and mockers do what they want . but we have the proof in our hands
The reality is that M43 is fine. Comparing as better or worse to other things in general is not healthy. My first experience of commercial photography was on work experience using a medium format digital back. If I compare to my Oly it's better for image quality. All other aspects it was worse (required AC power, limited capacity card storage, no stabilisation the list is endless)

Been good seeing some positive results & post's about it. Now a new very keen advocate has joined the thread, it is only a good thing. Now I really need to process yesterday's images and post at least one in the next 24 hours (even got a good video clip)

.... Hi Mike!
There is absolutely no doubt about the image quality of D-SLR and full-frame sensors (I shoot Canon and don't know the Nikon D500 sensor size) but yesterday I was able to comfortably walk a round trip of just under 5 miles carrying my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 PRO on my Peak Design strap + Acratech A-S clamp across my chest and my ED 40-150mm + 1.4x in my Lowepro Lens Exchange 200AW bag (a perfect fit) across the other side of my chest [ X style ]. So in D-SLR equivalent I had lens power of 80-300mm / 112-420mm zoom and 600mm / 840mm prime and all completely weatherproof and it got fully tested on a moderately windy beach in the rain while photographing surfers.

&quot;HEY DUDE! NICE CAMERA!&quot; by Robin Procter, on Flickr
That's much better processed than the dog imo. Yep m4/3 certainly can produce good bokeh, in fact I think the bokeh from the 12-40mm f2.8 is really nice indeed.

An experimental shot from yesterday at Landguard, I am not sure I like the result.

Langard 01 by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

.... The colour looks slightly better on Flickr. Have you tried a slightly cooler K temperature - Preset 'Cloudy' WB often looks a bit warm. Also, turn off any 'warm tones' shooting onboard camera. Shoot 'Muted' and -2 Saturation, 0 Contrast and do all your colour tuning in post-processing (RAW assumed).

Your horizon is way off... horizontal! It dips down a lot on the left.

My Olympus 300mm f4 and MC-20 2x T/C arrived today.
Just to reinforce the recent discussions on the forum - taken this afternoon in poor (ish) light. Absolutely minimal PP, no noise reduction.

EM1 ll, Oly 300mm, 1.4 T/C. So 420mm, 1/350th @ f5.6, ISO 6400.

I think it's pretty impressive at ISO 6400

PB040030 - 2019-11-04 at 16-43-18.jpg

Last edited:
.... The colour looks slightly better on Flickr. Have you tried a slightly cooler K temperature - Preset 'Cloudy' WB often looks a bit warm. Also, turn off any 'warm tones' shooting onboard camera. Shoot 'Muted' and -2 Saturation, 0 Contrast and do all your colour tuning in post-processing (RAW assumed).

Your horizon is way off... horizontal! It dips down a lot on the left.

I see the horizon, looks better straightened up (I swear it was wonky when I was standing there though) Adjusted the colour a little also.

Langard 01 v2 by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

Not sure about either of your first two Jonathon , the first one the colours look fine ,but what I find distracting is the wire across the shot . I initially thought it was two pictures

Not sure about either of your first two Jonathon , the first one the colours look fine ,but what I find distracting is the wire across the shot . I initially thought it was two pictures
There no wire there, where you looking? (Might be something I need to tone down a bit)

Back