Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

What pipes do you have on? I only put slip ons on mine (not on the photos above) as I didn’t want it too loud.
I have vance and hines long shot on mine , they came fitted on the bike.
Rob.

Last edited:
another shorty from Monday again last light so iso 6400 . this would have been unusable a few years ago
cut across shortie by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Nice one Jeff you old fart!

Although it is absolutely correct to say that a full-frame sensor can offer far more subject isolation than m4/3 in a shot like this, personally I like seeing wildlife in at least a hint of its natural habitat as shown by this photo. There's no right or wrong and it's down to personal preference but coming from a full-frame Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II combo I don't miss it and I did at first think that I might. It's a trade-off and not practical (for me) to keep both systems going. It depends what you like to shoot.

cheers robin I could well have cropped this in as I have done with other shots taken at the same time but this lent itself to a wider view . the birds sharp the foreground grasses are sharp it just drops away a bit as you get further away . it's still a learning curve I might get away with a lower iso/shutter speed by resorting to tripod and gimbal will play with that over the coming weeks

cheers robin I could well have cropped this in as I have done with other shots taken at the same time but this lent itself to a wider view . the birds sharp the foreground grasses are sharp it just drops away a bit as you get further away . it's still a learning curve I might get away with a lower iso/shutter speed by resorting to tripod and gimbal will play with that over the coming weeks

.... Personally I think that the softer focus drop away further back helps the sharp appearance of the bird.

I wish I had a £-pound for every time I have thought that in the exact science of hindsight I might have done better with different settings!

Purely a FWIW

I spotted this deal price posted about on DPReview

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olymp...8-pro--14x-teleconverter-mc-14-kit-2982-p.asp

The 40-150 f2.8 Pro plus 1.4x TC at £879.......though at DPReview the poster mentioned they are also selling the lens alone at a discount price???

I have not cross checked the prices but does look like a bit of an extra hdew bargain......if buying grey 'floats yer boat'???

Purely a FWIW

I spotted this deal price posted about on DPReview

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olymp...8-pro--14x-teleconverter-mc-14-kit-2982-p.asp

The 40-150 f2.8 Pro plus 1.4x TC at £879.......though at DPReview the poster mentioned they are also selling the lens alone at a discount price???

I have not cross checked the prices but does look like a bit of an extra hdew bargain......if buying grey 'floats yer boat'???

.... I have shopped at HDEW (and WEX) for years and can and frequently do highly recommend both of them. HDEW are not a dark shade of grey. But, aimed at everyone and no-one in particular, please let's not start one of those endless arguments both for and against parallel imports.

I bought my Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro plus 1.4x MC-14 as a bundle from HDEW a few weeks ago. In fact I have bought all my Olympus gear from HDEW except the MC-20 only because I want it for an overseas trip very soon and they can't get it for me in time.

Last edited:
.... I have shopped at HDEW (and WEX) for years and can and frequently do highly recommend both of them. HDEW are not a dark shade of grey! But let's not start one of those endless arguments both for and against parallel imports!!

I bought my Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro plus 1.4x MC-14 as a bundle from HDEW a few weeks ago. In fact I have bought all my Olympus gear from HDEW except the MC-20 only because I want it for an overseas trip very soon and they can't get it for me in time.

I was just putting the case as some folk 'dislike' grey, it was not my intention to reopen a grey or not argument:thinking:

PS as you bought that combo a few weeks back.......just how much lower is this current deal offering???

I was just putting the case as some folk 'dislike' grey, it was not my intention to reopen a grey or not argument:thinking:

.... Slight misunderstanding because I wasn't intending to suggest that you were intending to reopen one of those grey or not arguments. Sorry if my post was ambiguous - I'll check how I can edit it. < Edit now done and hopefully ok.

Last edited:
Phew just got back in , been out on the Dee estuary marshes ,my usual stomping ground for SEO got 750+ raw files to plough through ,later dudes :wave::wave:

EDIT
VALUABLE LESSON LEARNED .DO NOT ALTER A SET OF PROVEN SETTINGS IN CASE YOU COCK THINGS UP . just been through todays shots now reduced from 750+ to 132 o.k there are some good ones in them but could have been so many more .. I reduced my shutter speed to lower my iso values and it resulted in a lot of OOF /BLURRED shots will start p/p after dinner .you cannot beat the laws of physics even with i.s to low a shutter speed results in a cock up good style .wont happen again

Last edited:
Phew just got back in , been out on the Dee estuary marshes ,my usual stomping ground for SEO got 750+ raw files to plough through ,later dudes :wave::wave:

EDIT
VALUABLE LESSON LEARNED .DO NOT ALTER A SET OF PROVEN SETTINGS IN CASE YOU COCK THINGS UP . just been through todays shots now reduced from 750+ to 132 o.k there are some good ones in them but could have been so many more .. I reduced my shutter speed to lower my iso values and it resulted in a lot of OOF /BLURRED shots will start p/p after dinner .you cannot beat the laws of physics even with i.s to low a shutter speed results in a cock up good style .wont happen again

.... I'm sure you'll report later but how low shutter speeds? IIRC you shoot on an Olympus E-M1 mk2 and that has strong IBIS and especially if the lens IS combines. 132 out of about 750 ain't shabby for a keepers rate but perhaps you mean a disappointing hit rate due to moving targets. Hey, you only have to come home with one great shot and a trip is worthwhile - At least that's the way I see it.

Do you ever use Exposure Compensation? It can help if you don't wack it up too far. But you were there and know what you were doing.

.... I'm sure you'll report later but how low shutter speeds? IIRC you shoot on an Olympus E-M1 mk2 and that has strong IBIS and especially if the lens IS combines. 132 out of about 750 ain't shabby for a keepers rate but perhaps you mean a disappointing hit rate due to moving targets. Hey, you only have to come home with one great shot and a trip is worthwhile - At least that's the way I see it.

Do you ever use Exposure Compensation? It can help if you don't wack it up too far. But you were there and know what you were doing.
Ibis doesn’t help with movement of the subject obviously (y)

EDIT
‘They’ always say a bit of noise is better than a blurred image (y)

robin I reduced my shutter speed to 1/250th sec , the lens i.s works but not body with that lens . and yes moving targets .got more than a few good shots so far 5 done up to now . and yes some ETTR but your shooting into the sun most of the time at this spot .

robin I reduced my shutter speed to 1/250th sec , the lens i.s works but not body with that lens . and yes moving targets .got more than a few good shots so far 5 done up to now . and yes some ETTR but your shooting into the sun most of the time at this spot .
Which lens is that?

Last edited:
IMG_20191231_211658_564.jpg
Last rabbit photo for a while I promise....

I had to expose for the bright setting sun to avoid blowing it. But then I had to pull the rabbit back in pp, done to the extreme, but impressed with what I could recover.

Ibis doesn’t help with movement of the subject obviously (y)

.... Yep, that's why I said "...a disappointing hit rate due to moving targets".

I thought you could use IBIS with this but it has to be one or the other, not both?
Yep tried it both ways not a iota of difference ,the triangle rules supreme

Yep tried it both ways not a iota of difference ,the triangle rules supreme
Ahh, it’s just in the original post you said the lens IS worked but not the body which sounded like you were saying the body IS didn’t work (y)

.... Nice one Jeff! Sharp where it matters and handheld at only 1/250s too. Were you using Single Shot AF or Continuous tracking? < I can't see that info in the EXIF on Flickr.
CAF at all times robin .at one point I was shooting directly into the sun and had to use my left hand to Shield my other eye so was shooting hand held with one hand . totally unreal

View attachment 264563
Last rabbit photo for a while I promise....

I had to expose for the bright setting sun to avoid blowing it. But then I had to pull the rabbit back in pp, done to the extreme, but impressed with what I could recover.

.... Really excellent Rabbit series! Out of curiosity, what did you shoot these images on?

.... Really excellent Rabbit series! Out of curiosity, what did you shoot these images on?
Om-d1 mk2 with 300mmf4. I'm lucky enough to own 9 acres of meadows(wife and horses) so I see this colony of rabbits at least twice a day. They've got used to me so don't run away as much, just look as if to say "it's that t*** with the camera again".

Om-d1 mk2 with 300mmf4. I'm lucky enough to own 9 acres of meadows(wife and horses) so I see this colony of rabbits at least twice a day. They've got used to me so don't run away as much, just look as if to say "it's that t*** with the camera again".

.... Nice one! Horses make me happy! The Oly 300mm F/4 Pro is one heck of a good lens and even with the TCs mounted.

As a rider and jumper in my youth I like to photograph Horses but not had the opportunity to do many since I moved from Canon to Olympus two months ago. But here is a composite of two images both shot on Olympus E-M1X + ED 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. :

Blonde vs Blonde! Comtois Draught Horse 'Pierre' has some serious competition here from a visiting young horse lover. At Exeter Equine Fair in Dorset UK.

BLONDE vs BLONDE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back